ADVERTISEMENT

2022 PA States

Did anyone see Casey there? I ask as a dad. I’d really hope he’d be able to make it to watch his son at states and back and forth with the guys. If not, these guys give up so much for other people’s dreams.
I wonder and hope. Was listening to DT yesterday stating that he goes to these high school tournaments to support his wrestlers and their coaches. I've found that relationship to be contentious at times - 'who is the real coach'. I only saw it bad when some idiots were trying to take credit for the kids success but I do wonder how often the club and HS coaches step on each other... Now, I'm sure if Casey was coming I wouldn't challenge anything he said but there are a lot of nuckle head coaches out there.
BTW - any word on Cael's kids? Thought he had a son around the age of competition...

I wonder and hope. Was listening to DT yesterday stating that he goes to these high school tournaments to support his wrestlers and their coaches. I've found that relationship to be contentious at times - 'who is the real coach'. I only saw it bad when some idiots were trying to take credit for the kids success but I do wonder how often the club and HS coaches step on each other... Now, I'm sure if Casey was coming I wouldn't challenge anything he said but there are a lot of nuckle head coaches out there.
BTW - any word on Cael's kids? Thought he had a son around the age of competition...
Casey does a good job staying in the background when his kids are up. He does apply the same body english you see him do for the psu corner sometimes though.

Cael’s kid and Casey’s daughter will be in PJW States (youth)

I have a good friend who coaches HS swimming and he mostly welcomes this at big events.

He has a good sized team and can't give them all individual attention at once. It allows him to focus on the kids who aren't angling for college scholarships and need his support and coaching more. Especially after a loss.

Reactions: Wilco43
Casey does a good job staying in the background when his kids are up. He does apply the same body english you see him do for the psu corner sometimes though.

thank you. My wife makes fun of my body english when watching PSU... having your own kids wrestling is even worse!

Reactions: johnstownsteel

Yeah, I don't see this as even a remote issue. Think about what Casey deals with and parents of his coached teams. He knows what to do, but I'm sure he roots for his kid and yells which I would hope and support.

Usually these high school coaches (whether wrestling or other sports) have good relationships with club coaches. They get them access to more practices, mat time, etc. I'm sure there are knuckleheads everywhere, but what high school coach is going to challenge David Taylor.

Yeah, I don't see this as even a remote issue. Think about what Casey deals with and parents of his coached teams. He knows what to do, but I'm sure he roots for his kid and yells which I would hope and support.

Usually these high school coaches (whether wrestling or other sports) have good relationships with club coaches. They get them access to more practices, mat time, etc. I'm sure there are knuckleheads everywhere, but what high school coach is going to challenge David Taylor.
The higher end HS coaches don't try to punk club coaches or the good wrestlers won't be there. Far too many options these days for sure.

The higher end HS coaches don't try to punk club coaches or the good wrestlers won't be there. Far too many options these days for sure.
The good club coaches don't punk the varsity coaches either. Lots of club options too.

Speaking of which, David Taylor is complaining about Flo having so many ads on top of his paid membership, so presumably he's watching from home.

Reactions: PASLP2
Im back at the hotel now but I saw maybe half a dozen coaches/assistant coaches at the AA session. Probably a lot more there just didnt see them.

Shaw finished 2nd at King of the Mountain to AA favorite Scott Johnson, then finished 2nd at Powerade to Vince Bouzakis -- both 1-pt losses. He good.

His brother Max had 1 loss as a SR, but that 1 was to Donovon Ball at states. He's now North Carolina's starting 197.
Shaw over Shindledecker 5-0, has Dalton Perry (won 4-1 over Appello-Fries) in semi's.

Is there anyway to watch the finals after they are over? I had Flo for a few years and dropped them once Rokfin showed up.

Is there anyway to watch the finals after they are over? I had Flo for a few years and dropped them once Rokfin showed up.
Without Flo? Good luck. Some might get appear on a personal Facebook page here or there ... or maybe highlights on a local TV newscast ...

Without Flo? Good luck. Some might get appear on a personal Facebook page here or there ... or maybe highlights on a local TV newscast ...
That is what I feared (thank you). I will run over to watch the AA Semi's tonight and then the AAA tomorrow am.

From my old area, both the Williams boys into the AAA semis at 113 and 120.

also following 106 with interest -- Desmond may get a strong challenge from Willochell or McFarland
Pierson Manville of State College the real deal at 138?

Reactions: fronk71
From my old area, both the Williams boys into the AAA semis at 113 and 120.

also following 106 with interest -- Desmond may get a strong challenge from Willochell or McFarland
Pierson Manville of State College the real deal at 138?
Willochell could push Desmond some, McFarland less likely. Desmond likely wins either way.

Kasak beat Manville 4-2 earlier this year. The rematch should be really good.

Reactions: danoftw
That is what I feared (thank you). I will run over to watch the AA Semi's tonight and then the AAA tomorrow am.
Makes you feel good to know you can't watch the wrestlers you're supporting through local school taxes. PBS did the finals for years and now FLO has a monopoly on their viewership. Total bs on the part of the corrupt PIAA.

Reactions: danoftw
@El-Jefe This was an awesome write up.

Do you have a full court press power ranking that we can digest, too?
Ranking? Oh God no. It would be somehow even more inaccurate than my predictions.

In the JR/SR classes: Nasdeo is in, and Kasak is down to PSU vs. Nebraska. Otherwise we're looking at national recruits. PIAA recruits would be depth candidates (which as we've seen many times before, does not preclude PA state finalists).

Among the FR/SO:

We're a finalist for Mason Gibson. (Not competing this weekend, but I'd be an idiot to not include him.)

Desmond will likely be a priority. And he'll be in high demand.

Guessing we'll go hard after a HWT. If we miss out on Jim Mullen, then Kinney. If we miss on both Mullen and Kinney, or possibly if we get Mullen, then Austin Johnson. (Gut tells me we're in pretty good shape with Mullen unless he decides to go football. But I've been wrong before.)

Lawrence is the other obvious name, but I'm less convinced he'll be a huge priority. Maybe if the coaches see Barr as a 197. I'd rather have either of the Seminary guys, Joe Sealey or Jude Correa (though maybe he ends up HWT?). Better yet, both of the Seminary guys.

Much harder to tell with the light/middleweight guys not named Desmond. Need to see how they grow, plus what happens with McGowan and Shapiro. The FR/SO big hitters in this range are Luke Lilledahl (Seminary), Anthony Knox (NJ), Leo DeLuca (NJ), Gibson, and PJ Duke (NY) -- plus whatever rabbits Cael pulls out of his hat. Among the PIAA guys, I like (in no particular order) Shaw, Perry, Scott Johnson, Rath, Harer, Parkins.

Parkins is ranked top 10 nationally, goes home empty-handed.

Not that Tocci is some stiff -- he beat the returning champ a couple weeks ago. Just a sign of how crazy AAA 113 is.

Ranking? Oh God no. It would be somehow even more inaccurate than my predictions.

In the JR/SR classes: Nasdeo is in, and Kasak is down to PSU vs. Nebraska. Otherwise we're looking at national recruits. PIAA recruits would be depth candidates (which as we've seen many times before, does not preclude PA state finalists).

Among the FR/SO:

We're a finalist for Mason Gibson. (Not competing this weekend, but I'd be an idiot to not include him.)

Desmond will likely be a priority. And he'll be in high demand.

Guessing we'll go hard after a HWT. If we miss out on Jim Mullen, then Kinney. If we miss on both Mullen and Kinney, or possibly if we get Mullen, then Austin Johnson. (Gut tells me we're in pretty good shape with Mullen unless he decides to go football. But I've been wrong before.)

Lawrence is the other obvious name, but I'm less convinced he'll be a huge priority. Maybe if the coaches see Barr as a 197. I'd rather have either of the Seminary guys, Joe Sealey or Jude Correa (though maybe he ends up HWT?). Better yet, both of the Seminary guys.

Much harder to tell with the light/middleweight guys not named Desmond. Need to see how they grow, plus what happens with McGowan and Shapiro. The FR/SO big hitters in this range are Luke Lilledahl (Seminary), Anthony Knox (NJ), Leo DeLuca (NJ), Gibson, and PJ Duke (NY) -- plus whatever rabbits Cael pulls out of his hat. Among the PIAA guys, I like (in no particular order) Shaw, Perry, Scott Johnson, Rath, Harer, Parkins.
You're the man, thanks for all the value you bring to the board!

I didn't see anyone say anything about our guy Cael make it to the semis.

AA quarters:
106: Gill dec Smith 6-3; Hubert F Hartranft 0:16 (!); Seidel F Beck 1:51; Sentipal dec Brosius 4-2
113: Bradley F Kazalas 4:25; Botera F Fye 2:51; Wentzel dec Robison 7-0; Jackson dec Bainey 3-1
120: Pepe MD Hornack 12-4; Bainey dec Householder 6-4; Weiss dec Schweitzer 6-4 SV; Vargo dec Gould 3-0
126: Johnson TF Husick 20-5, 6:00; Granaham dec Burkett 9-2; Milheim dec Hoover 6-0; Palmer dec Gardner 11-6
132: Reinsel dec Kolb 3-0; Barvitskie F Bollman 3:39; Heckman dec Martinec 3-1; Chletsos dec Sentipal 5-1
138: Pierce MD Karper 10-2; Boni dec Millheim 3-1; Crookham dec Evanitsky 9-4; Wirnsberger dec Toth 4-3
145: Harer MD Buchanan 26-13; Maag F Watson 2:43; Wagner dec Gill 3-1; Alderfer dec Weyandt 6-1
152: Arrington F Duggan 5:05; Richey dec Hockenberry 5-2; Christie dec Moyer 9-2; Deem dec Berish 3-1 SV
160: MacKay dec Nixon 6-1; Smith F Hirak 5:39; Dubler F Glessner 4:13; Garcia MD Moore 14-1
172: Lawrence dec Lear 7-0; Parker dec Close 10-4; Garcia dec Dubler 2-1; Jones F Stewart 0:49
189: Karpinski F Csencsits 5:47; Cutchember dec Packer 10-5; Stewart F Scheib 4;48; Cory dec Gnibus 5-1
215: Pitzer F Kline 0:58; Rafferty MD Woodruff 15-4; Morrison MD Daniels 9-0; Linkerhof dec Backes 3-1 SV
285: Robell F Ulrich 1:42; Sottolano F Reyda 3:40; Johnson dec Muzika 4-1; Perrine dec Watkins 5-2 TB2

Some takeaways:
- National PFP #4 Crookham didn't get bonus against a FR regional 3rd.
- Harer gets the Nico Megaludis Award -- 26 pts in a 6-minute match at states.
- Lawrence looked really good against nationally ranked Lear.
- 285 had its semis one round early: #1 (Robell) vs #3 (Ulrich), and #2 (Johnson) vs #4 (Muzika).

AA consis -- notable results thru blood round:
120: Richey dec Schweitzer 3-2 -- battle-tested senior NDGP regional champ is out.
126: Przybycien dec Gardner 5-3 -- state #3 fails to medal.
138: Poklembo dec Biscoe 3-1 SV -- returning state finalist went 1-2.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT