ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Recruiting Class Thread

Last week, the Michigan Wolverines lost special teams coordinator and ace recruiter Chris Partridge to Ole Miss, and he leaves behind a big void on that staff.

“They haven’t filled the role, and we’ll see who they fill it with because Michigan is one of those schools where assistant coach recruiters are incredibly important because they don’t recruit in the same traditional way that almost every other program that we cover does,” Wiltfong said. “There’s not recruiting meetings. There’s just a lot on the assistant coaches’ plates to go out in their territories or in their position rooms and find guys they think are good enough to help Michigan win championships.

“I just don’t think, collectively, this staff is recruiting at a level to win a national championship across the board,” Wiltfong said. “It’s a blow losing a guy in Partridge, who I feel like is one of your best recruiters when the emphasis on recruiting at Michigan isn’t the same as it is at Ohio State and Penn State right now. We’re starting to see it on the field.”

MGoBlog comments about this article:

"Sean Magee is a problem who needs replaced. Zordich is lazy and doesn't hardly recruit. Same goes for McDaniels. Harbaugh is disorganized and has no idea how to properly run a recruiting department. That's how you get shit like Trevor Lawrence being offered twice, Solomon getting thank you letters to events he never attended, and kids losing contact with UM every time a coach leaves."

"Wiltfong is answering why and no one wants to hear. How about instead of denying its a problem we recognize it is and demand better. This fan base is such a huge part of the problem always bitching about cheating and this and that and never want to admit the problem is Michigan. ****ing sucks."

"Jesus ****ing Christ. Stop talking about Hoke. Harbaugh has been here 5 years and his staff is still getting massively out worked."

"Did you read Wilfong’s comments? It’s harder to be an elite football program without bending and breaking rules, but maybe the current staff should consider doing some really basic things they apparently aren’t doing. Things like, having an organized and focused recruiting approach. My son coaches at a D2 power and they have regular recruiting meetings. How the hell does Jim not have meetings? It’s a joke.
As an aside, if you think most of Michigan’s football players are prioritizing school you are mistaken. That doesn’t mean they don’t go to class, but they do have “do not take” lists to avoid professors that are unwilling to bend a bit for athletes. Many (most?) are not majoring in difficult academic areas. All of this is fine to me, by the way. Just stop acting like Michigan is full of Ivy League athletes. "

"Exactly. It's like none of these guys have lived in South Quad. Maybe the walk ons actually go to class but you'd have to be delusional to think academics actually matter to a vast majority of the team. Take any bullshit history 101 class and you'll see half the football team enrolled and only attend class when the team managers roll about to check in on them. Hell, I remember living next to a few players who had their desks taken away from their rooms to fit larger beds.
These players are not even close to attending the same classes as a regular student at Michigan. About half of them are 'undecided' or 'general studies' which might as well be a 'football player' degree. Even those with legit pursuits basically have tutors and instructors who hand hold them through school.
Don't delude yourself into thinking Michigan's academic reputation extends to the football team. If Michigan's academic rigors were applied to the team, half of them would be kicked out of school tomorrow. "

"If UM is married to Jim, they need to extend him NOW. Now way will he land good classes with only two years left on his contract. No kid/parent wants to commit their future to a dead-man-walking.
Then again, apparently UM is braindead on recruiting, so they’ll probably not do anything about the contract for two years and then make more excuses when the next two classes blow."

"It is pretty telling when one of the foremost insiders of the recruiting world thinks your program is shit at recruiting.
There’s no reason to believe that Wiltfong is biased against Michigan, or any program in the country."

"I've already seen people scoff at the significance of this, but in my opinion coming from someone as plugged in to recruiting nationally as Wiltfong is, its incredibly damning. It seems like other schools have a plan, and recruit to their system, where MI seems to accept commitments from any good player who checks the boxes of MI requirments (academics, character, good family, good athlete), rather than going all out for their top target like they did with Bush, or getting guys to develop in their system like WI and Iowa do for example. Even more worrisome to me is it seems like our high level recruits either leave before they fully develop (draft, or transfer), or just never reach their full potential under the current staff. "

"No he said Michigan recruits worse than it should because it’s disorganized and relies entirely on individual assistants rather than working as a cohesive program. It’s shit like that allows for shit recruiters like drevno to completely tank a position group because nobody else is responsible. And it’s why losing partridge and when we lost Wheatley has a much bigger impact than any coach leaving osu "

Has anyone seen video of Treveyon Henderson? That kid is incredible! Super explosive with super quick feet and runs about a 4.3 probably. I couldn't believe what I was watching. I have no idea how he isn't a 5 star. Not terribly big at 190 pounds, but go watch his video. I have no idea what are chances are with him, I don't want to get my hopes up. Also, we have the most stacked RB room in the country, probably. Unrelated to that, hopefully we can start landing some of those highly rated defensive backs. Seems like we've gotten less of those vs. any other position except for maybe DT.

Your question piqued my curiosity. He is a jaw-dropping jitterbug and seriously fast! His track times, per Athletic.net are less impressive than his football speed, although he ran roughly 11 flat for the 100 meters last spring. Video attached for anyone who wants a dropped jaw!

https://247sports.com/Video/TreVeyon-Henderson-Hopewell-Va-High-2019-season-highlights--9531085/

Given how much we focus on recruiting and how much they don't, we are generally recruiting at the same level as Michigan. We both have good classes, but are still behind OSU. So I don't totally buy that they don't know what they are doing. But hopefully, a lot of their previous recruiting success is Chris Partridge and we see them take a step back in recruiting.

MGoBlog comments about this article:

"Sean Magee is a problem who needs replaced. Zordich is lazy and doesn't hardly recruit. Same goes for McDaniels. Harbaugh is disorganized and has no idea how to properly run a recruiting department. That's how you get shit like Trevor Lawrence being offered twice, Solomon getting thank you letters to events he never attended, and kids losing contact with UM every time a coach leaves."

"Wiltfong is answering why and no one wants to hear. How about instead of denying its a problem we recognize it is and demand better. This fan base is such a huge part of the problem always bitching about cheating and this and that and never want to admit the problem is Michigan. ****ing sucks."

"Jesus ****ing Christ. Stop talking about Hoke. Harbaugh has been here 5 years and his staff is still getting massively out worked."

"Did you read Wilfong’s comments? It’s harder to be an elite football program without bending and breaking rules, but maybe the current staff should consider doing some really basic things they apparently aren’t doing. Things like, having an organized and focused recruiting approach. My son coaches at a D2 power and they have regular recruiting meetings. How the hell does Jim not have meetings? It’s a joke.
As an aside, if you think most of Michigan’s football players are prioritizing school you are mistaken. That doesn’t mean they don’t go to class, but they do have “do not take” lists to avoid professors that are unwilling to bend a bit for athletes. Many (most?) are not majoring in difficult academic areas. All of this is fine to me, by the way. Just stop acting like Michigan is full of Ivy League athletes. "

"Exactly. It's like none of these guys have lived in South Quad. Maybe the walk ons actually go to class but you'd have to be delusional to think academics actually matter to a vast majority of the team. Take any bullshit history 101 class and you'll see half the football team enrolled and only attend class when the team managers roll about to check in on them. Hell, I remember living next to a few players who had their desks taken away from their rooms to fit larger beds.
These players are not even close to attending the same classes as a regular student at Michigan. About half of them are 'undecided' or 'general studies' which might as well be a 'football player' degree. Even those with legit pursuits basically have tutors and instructors who hand hold them through school.
Don't delude yourself into thinking Michigan's academic reputation extends to the football team. If Michigan's academic rigors were applied to the team, half of them would be kicked out of school tomorrow. "

"If UM is married to Jim, they need to extend him NOW. Now way will he land good classes with only two years left on his contract. No kid/parent wants to commit their future to a dead-man-walking.
Then again, apparently UM is braindead on recruiting, so they’ll probably not do anything about the contract for two years and then make more excuses when the next two classes blow."

"It is pretty telling when one of the foremost insiders of the recruiting world thinks your program is shit at recruiting.
There’s no reason to believe that Wiltfong is biased against Michigan, or any program in the country."

"I've already seen people scoff at the significance of this, but in my opinion coming from someone as plugged in to recruiting nationally as Wiltfong is, its incredibly damning. It seems like other schools have a plan, and recruit to their system, where MI seems to accept commitments from any good player who checks the boxes of MI requirments (academics, character, good family, good athlete), rather than going all out for their top target like they did with Bush, or getting guys to develop in their system like WI and Iowa do for example. Even more worrisome to me is it seems like our high level recruits either leave before they fully develop (draft, or transfer), or just never reach their full potential under the current staff. "

"No he said Michigan recruits worse than it should because it’s disorganized and relies entirely on individual assistants rather than working as a cohesive program. It’s shit like that allows for shit recruiters like drevno to completely tank a position group because nobody else is responsible. And it’s why losing partridge and when we lost Wheatley has a much bigger impact than any coach leaving osu "

Reactions: RandyL and TheGLOV
Do you know if we see him as OLB or DE?

LBer is what I've heard, though I think most teams recognize that he could grow into a DE.

Partridge leaving UM is big for this one.

that's hard to say. Partridge didn't make a difference with Oweh. I think he did make a difference with Ojabo, though I can't say how much. (For those missing the linkage, the aforementioned were top-end DE prospects from Blair Academy. Oweh signed with PSU in the 2018 recruiting class, and Ojabo signed with Michigan in the 2019 recruiting class. Blair Academy is where Armitage goes to school.)

Reactions: TheGLOV
Given how much we focus on recruiting and how much they don't, we are generally recruiting at the same level as Michigan. We both have good classes, but are still behind OSU. So I don't totally buy that they don't know what they are doing. But hopefully, a lot of their previous recruiting success is Chris Partridge and we see them take a step back in recruiting.

There is a difference between signing a top class and signing a class that matches your program's needs. The lack of organization could mean they over recruit in some areas and under recruit in others. Who knows. That's their problem to solve.

There is a difference between signing a top class and signing a class that matches your program's needs. The lack of organization could mean they over recruit in some areas and under recruit in others. Who knows. That's their problem to solve.

You can see Harbaugh’s lack of organization in the Gattis hire. There is nothing wrong with hiring Gattis, but you don’t do it at after one conversation. And you don’t hire a guy with a radically different offensive philosophy without recruiting the personnel required to run the offense.

Joe Milton can’t run at all. McCaffery is a decent runner. How do you run an RPO based offense with one QB on your roster capable of running the offense? It’s like Harbaugh has no plan, but because UM has reputation and a ton of money they succeed in winning 9 games a year anyway.

Compare Franklin’s hiring process to Jimmah’s and it’s easy to see why we are beginning to surpass them as a program. When we beat them in AA next year it will be another rung up the ladder.

its all BS and doesn't matter anyhow. The portal nonsense is slowly closing the doors on teams that might have a chance. The big teams never have to run the risk of a rebuild at any position.

You think Oklahoma might suffer a few more lumps and losses with Rattler at the controls? Nope, doesn't matter, go home great story Baylor....OU gets Hurts and closes that door.

Oh, Ohio State is a LT and QB away from a great season....sorry Penn State and Wiscy....they will just go get Fields and the LT from Rutgers.....

Goes backl to my theory that transfers are ok, but here is the thing...as a school if you accept a transfer, that transfer counts as 2 scholarships.

Looks like Georgia will keep their window open so instead of breaking in a young qb, looks like that is where Newman will end up.

its all BS and doesn't matter anyhow. The portal nonsense is slowly closing the doors on teams that might have a chance. The big teams never have to run the risk of a rebuild at any position.

You think Oklahoma might suffer a few more lumps and losses with Rattler at the controls? Nope, doesn't matter, go home great story Baylor....OU gets Hurts and closes that door.

Oh, Ohio State is a LT and QB away from a great season....sorry Penn State and Wiscy....they will just go get Fields and the LT from Rutgers.....

Goes backl to my theory that transfers are ok, but here is the thing...as a school if you accept a transfer, that transfer counts as 2 scholarships.

Jonah Jackson played left guard for OSU, big difference, a position he never played at Rutgers. Interesting that PSU never had much interest in him given that he's from Media, not that it had much of a chance.

A lot of PSU interested guys in the 247 all combine team

https://247sports.com/Article/247Sports-AllCombine-Team-Underclassmen-combine-2020-141585529/

ALPHA DOG

Tristan Leigh, OL, Fairfax (Va.) Robinson School

Leigh’s performance inside the Alamodome on Friday earned him a return to San Antonio in a year from now, with Leigh garnering Alpha Dog honors and an invitation to the 2021 All-American Bowl. Even before the linemen got to 1on1’s, he was impressing, showing good footwork in drills, quickness and natural knee bend. Leigh showed reactive quickness and kept his defender at bay, in both the running game drills and in pass rushing. Leigh, at 6-5, 275, has the optimal body type for an offensive tackle, with good length and an ideal frame. His top schools are LSU, Ohio State, Penn State and Clemson among others. He’s a four-star in the industry-generated 247Sports Composite Rankings and the No. 5 prospect in Virginia.

Kaden Saunders - WR - Westerville (Ohio) South (2022 guy)

Whoosh. That was the sound of Saunders blowing by defensive backs right out the gate. He was one of the fastest and most explosive players in the building. Beyond that, the route running, change of direction, the ability to win the 1-on-1 ball and scoring a victory in nearly all his reps secures him offensive MVP honors. Penn State has established itself as the leader at this point in the recruitment.

Jonah Jackson played left guard for OSU, big difference, a position he never played at Rutgers. Interesting that PSU never had much interest in him given that he's from Media, not that it had much of a chance.

sorry, messed that up.....they still got a starting player out of the deal.

basically my point is, for some schools, you might have a short open window to win a title. winning a title can then up recruiting, coordinator pay, etc.....

By allowing anyone to just fill holes with transfers closes that window.

A lot of PSU interested guys in the 247 all combine team

https://247sports.com/Article/247Sports-AllCombine-Team-Underclassmen-combine-2020-141585529/

ALPHA DOG

Tristan Leigh, OL, Fairfax (Va.) Robinson School

Leigh’s performance inside the Alamodome on Friday earned him a return to San Antonio in a year from now, with Leigh garnering Alpha Dog honors and an invitation to the 2021 All-American Bowl. Even before the linemen got to 1on1’s, he was impressing, showing good footwork in drills, quickness and natural knee bend. Leigh showed reactive quickness and kept his defender at bay, in both the running game drills and in pass rushing. Leigh, at 6-5, 275, has the optimal body type for an offensive tackle, with good length and an ideal frame. His top schools are LSU, Ohio State, Penn State and Clemson among others. He’s a four-star in the industry-generated 247Sports Composite Rankings and the No. 5 prospect in Virginia.

Kaden Saunders - WR - Westerville (Ohio) South (2022 guy)

Whoosh. That was the sound of Saunders blowing by defensive backs right out the gate. He was one of the fastest and most explosive players in the building. Beyond that, the route running, change of direction, the ability to win the 1-on-1 ball and scoring a victory in nearly all his reps secures him offensive MVP honors. Penn State has established itself as the leader at this point in the recruitment.

really good to see....although Leigh seems like this years bounce around candidate and we shall see what happens once Saunders gets his Ohio State offer.

sorry, messed that up.....they still got a starting player out of the deal.

basically my point is, for some schools, you might have a short open window to win a title. winning a title can then up recruiting, coordinator pay, etc.....

By allowing anyone to just fill holes with transfers closes that window.

Some schools are just better than others and that's where kids want to go. I mean, shit, what did the kid do wrong that we'd condemn him to spend another year at Rutgers?

Your question piqued my curiosity. He is a jaw-dropping jitterbug and seriously fast! His track times, per Athletic.net are less impressive than his football speed, although he ran roughly 11 flat for the 100 meters last spring. Video attached for anyone who wants a dropped jaw!

https://247sports.com/Video/TreVeyon-Henderson-Hopewell-Va-High-2019-season-highlights--9531085/

Right?! Who knows what any specific player is looking for in a school, but because we have the best running back room in the country, maybe they can sell him on the stiff competition will make him the best he can be.

I think it was in the Penn State 247 podcast where Fitz was raving about Henderson. Believes he should be a top 100, borderline 5 star RB. Kids feet are amazing based on the tape

Yes, I heard Fitz talking about him and tony grimes and then i watched the tape.

Judging from some recent twitter activity, seems like our QB recruiting is taking shape.

Obviously the #1 target being 5* Caleb Williams. Although it is looking more and more like he is LSU bound.

Back-up plans being:
Garrett Nussmeier 4* from Texas. Visited for '19 Whiteout and prospect camp last summer. Top 200 kid.

Christian Veilleux 4* from Maryland.

Jalen Kitna 3* from Texas. Son of former NFL QB, John. Former BC commit, seems to have a good relationship with Trautwein.

Reactions: bmw199 and TheGLOV
Fields hurt us with his legs, Trevor Lawrence killed OSU with his legs, Tua could move, Burrow can move...I would really prefer athletic/dual threat QBs...

Judging from some recent twitter activity, seems like our QB recruiting is taking shape.

Obviously the #1 target being 5* Caleb Williams. Although it is looking more and more like he is LSU bound.

Back-up plans being:
Garrett Nussmeier 4* from Texas. Visited for '19 Whiteout and prospect camp last summer. Top 200 kid.

Christian Veilleux 4* from Maryland.

Jalen Kitna 3* from Texas. Son of former NFL QB, John. Former BC commit, seems to have a good relationship with Trautwein.

Keep an eye on PJ Costelli from Mission Viejo, CA.

Besides Williams, can any of these guys run? Seems like the rest listed are all Pro Style QB's.....

I think Veilleux and Nussmeier are capable - more of the Clifford mold than the Fields in the running department.

I'm not sure KC is going to want his QB to run too much and it might be an emphasis of CJF now that he's had his last two QBs banged up to close out the season. We'll see where it goes...

I think Veilleux and Nussmeier are capable - more of the Clifford mold than the Fields in the running department.

I'm not sure KC is going to want his QB to run too much and it might be an emphasis of CJF now that he's had his last two QBs banged up to close out the season. We'll see where it goes...

Was Clifford hurt during a QB run or the result of a sack; I don't recall?

Was Clifford hurt during a QB run or the result of a sack; I don't recall?

I don't recall either. He left the OSU game after being hit by Young (I think), but Franklin said the injury had occurred a few weeks prior. Clifford was noticeably gimpy in the Indiana game - Levis was brought off the bench for short yardage situations.

Sources: Matt Rhule interested in Joe Brady for Carolina Panthers offensive coordinator

Sources tell FootballScoop new Carolina head coach Matt Rhule is interested in speaking with LSU’s Joe Brady about the offensive coordinator position with the Panthers.

LSU officials have repeatedly stated throughout the season they expect Brady to return, and had no concerns about him leaving for another college job.

However, the opportunity to become an NFL offensive coordinator would seem to be something Brady would have to strongly consider. LSU has maintained confidence throughout the fall it could keep Brady away from other college programs, but the thought of an NFL team coming after him has been a nearly unspoken, yet ever present, concern for those who bleed purple and gold.

Brady, as we all know, has been an overnight success. His one season on campus has seen LSU leap from 38th to first in scoring, from 84th to second in yards per play, and from 65th to second in passing efficiency. As a result, the 30-year-old has won the Broyles Award and shared the FootballScoop Offensive Coordinator of the Year award with Steve Ensminger.

It should be noted that Brady and Rhule share the same agent (Trace Armstrong), which only adds to the intrigue. Is Armstrong helping make the right connection between Brady and Rhule, or is Armstrong simply ensuring that his client (Brady) will get the best possible deal from LSU?

Sources tell FootballScoop neither party wishes to explore this before the National Championship game Monday night.

Obviously, LSU would like to close the deal on a historic 2019 campaign on Monday night, then close a new deal with Brady thereafter, demonstrating this new-look program will have staying power among college football’s elite with the impending departure of Joe Burrow.

Sources: Matt Rhule interested in Joe Brady for Carolina Panthers offensive coordinator

Sources tell FootballScoop new Carolina head coach Matt Rhule is interested in speaking with LSU’s Joe Brady about the offensive coordinator position with the Panthers.

LSU officials have repeatedly stated throughout the season they expect Brady to return, and had no concerns about him leaving for another college job.

However, the opportunity to become an NFL offensive coordinator would seem to be something Brady would have to strongly consider. LSU has maintained confidence throughout the fall it could keep Brady away from other college programs, but the thought of an NFL team coming after him has been a nearly unspoken, yet ever present, concern for those who bleed purple and gold.

Brady, as we all know, has been an overnight success. His one season on campus has seen LSU leap from 38th to first in scoring, from 84th to second in yards per play, and from 65th to second in passing efficiency. As a result, the 30-year-old has won the Broyles Award and shared the FootballScoop Offensive Coordinator of the Year award with Steve Ensminger.

It should be noted that Brady and Rhule share the same agent (Trace Armstrong), which only adds to the intrigue. Is Armstrong helping make the right connection between Brady and Rhule, or is Armstrong simply ensuring that his client (Brady) will get the best possible deal from LSU?

Sources tell FootballScoop neither party wishes to explore this before the National Championship game Monday night.

Obviously, LSU would like to close the deal on a historic 2019 campaign on Monday night, then close a new deal with Brady thereafter, demonstrating this new-look program will have staying power among college football’s elite with the impending departure of Joe Burrow.
Let’s Say joe Brady does go to Carolina as their OC, Brock Vandagriff then stays home to play for UGA, do we actually fall in to the drivers seat to land Caleb Williams? Or does LSU remain in the lead

Reactions: 19333lion
Let’s Say joe Brady does go to Carolina as their OC, Brock Vandagriff then stays home to play for UGA, do we actually fall in to the drivers seat to land Caleb Williams? Or does LSU remain in the lead
I like the way you connect contingent dots!

Oklahoma is involved too. It would definitely help if Brady left regardless.

Great comments from 5* OT Landon Tengwall about the new hire.

OL targets like Trautwein hire

BySEAN FITZ 52 minutes ago
iu

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT