ADVERTISEMENT

2021 PSU WSOC Thread

Tom McAndrew

May 29, 2001
I'm setting this up now. Please note that it's different than the thread titled:

"2021 PSU WSOC Thread (delayed 2020 season)"

Please use this thread to discuss the PSU WSOC 2021 summer/fall season, the postseason (B1Gs & NCAAs), and then offseason news about the team, former players, etc.

Reactions: Psugo823
I think PSU WSOC was the fall PSU team that had the first competition. And while they fell behind early in the second half, they got things going on the right foot by the end of the game.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Interesting. I don't see a lot of three-back Ds in soccer, unless a team is trailing and needs more firepower up top to try to get a goal. @SUPERTODD -- any thoughts on this D alignment?

Reactions: TheGLOV
Interesting. I don't see a lot of three-back Ds in soccer, unless a team is trailing and needs more firepower up top to try to get a goal. @SUPERTODD -- any thoughts on this D alignment?

A lot of teams are starting to play 3-5-2. It seems like the new fad in the sport. If you have 3 in the back you have to play them more narrow and have wingbacks who can get up and down all game which is why I don’t like it at the HS level. Very few players have the fitness level to handle that wingback role. It might be an issue in the women’s game too. I remember when Dorance and DiCicco would not play 4-4-2 because they did not feel woman could handle the outside mid position in terms of athleticism but players at the level of PSU women should be able to handle it or at least do so in a platoon type situation. And of course the level of athleticism in the women’s game has gone way up in the last 30 years.

My HS played some 3-4-3 in our scrimmage today because we have 3 good CBs, but it is easy to get over run in the midfield, which we did, if a MF is playing a diamond and I don’t like playing a flat MF, because it can be bypassed too easily with one quick diagonal pass.

I prefer playing 4-2-3-1 because it is a more balanced system and it is easier to press with a diamond in the 7,9,10 and 11 positions. And having two 6s gives a lot of cover to the CBs.

Great win in the final minute today with a great through ball and cross leading to the winning goal.

Nice week off to recover before facing a Rutgers team on the road that is currently ranked #9 but lost two this week including a poor loss to Princeton.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT