ADVERTISEMENT

2021 B1G Tournament Session IV Thread

Aaron is so good. I'm making sure I remind myself of how special what I'm watching is because in a short few years he'll be gone.

Reactions: diggerpup
184 Final: Aaron Brooks vs. Taylor Venz (Nebraska)

Per 1
Venz with a quick shot, nothing. Venz with another shot (more a reach), nothing, and a stalemate at 2:38 left. Venz gets a low single, and gets the TD, 0-2. AB up and out, 1-2. Venz shoots a double, Brooks counters with a single and elevates, near the edge, but he gets the TD, 3-2. Venz tries a sit out, nothing. RT goes over 1 min. End. RT @ 1:47 for Brooks

Per 2
AB takes bottom. He works up, back down, back up, trying to come around for a reversal, and gets it, 5-2. RT had dropped to 1:02, but now it's going back up. Venz works to his feet, and hits a sitout from his feet for an esc, 5-3. AB with a quick TD and he quickly flattens Venz, 7-3. End. RT @ 2:10 or Brooks

Per 3
Venz takes bottom. He comes to a 3-point stance, and back down. Venz's face looks to be in some discomfort. Stall warning on AB so a stoppage at 1:25. Venz with a sitout then to his feet, and then out, 7-4. RT is locked. Venz with a lazy shot, nothing. Venz reaches, AB counters and gets behind for a TD, 9-4. He cuts him, 9-5. Venz shoots poorly, AB stuffs him, and a stalemate at 13 sec. End. With 3:03 in RT, it's a 10-5 decision

Aaron Brooks finishes 1st at the B1G Championship

Some of you should spend some time on a mat, or event better, become refs. Inadvertent banging of heads happens all the time in wrestling. There is nothing a ref should do in that instance, except for making sure the wrestlers are okay if they appear impacted. (And to be more correct, you just do a general analysis, and if there is any question you have the medical personnel make the evaluation.)

Head butts are a different story. If there is any appearance that there is an intentional head butt, that should be called right away.

None of the situations in Berge's earlier matches looked even close to a head butt.

How about the butt by Brands on Brooks - curious your opinion on that one? Brands threw his head straight back into Brooks face/forehead off the whistle. Do you honestly think that was incidental or intentional?

image.jpg

“Yeah, but Taylors and Ruths and Retherfords and Nolfs and Nickals are once in a generation”
*Aaron Brooks has entered the chat*

How does Brooks make wrestling look so easy? So effortless and fluid. All of the best Penn St wrestlers seem to do that.
On top of that, he’s a fantastic kid. Perfect fit: Aaron Brooks at Penn State. Love watching him wrestle

I think the ref asked Venz at one point if he needed injury time.

Venz is probably thinking, at least I got one win against him.

Venz looking forward to being the answer to a very interesting trivia question by the time Brooks graduates.

Reactions: danoftw
Was it just me or did I not see 3-4 head butts right into Berge earlier today. Pretty shitty given his history. I thought the ref would step in but nothing.

I don't think there were head butts in terms of being illegal or malicious. I thought they were incidental in nature based on how the two were wrestling. I did see at least 2, one that seemed to slow Berge down.

All of them straight on. Never close to finishing.

I'm only jesting. He's a great freshman, but he is the epitome of "straight on" right now, so that comment rubs me the wrong way. The offense will come eventually.
Really he was in deep at least four times just didn't finish. Once he learns to drive through those are point.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT