ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Transfer portal news

My anger and poor behavior was more directed at the refs than my kids: although my oldest got more "encouragement" during matches than my youngest. Like I said, I have been working on it and I have made improvements. That is one of the great things about this sport - we can all learn from it every year.

Every year? or every match? :)

Reactions: lookleft goright
Kolby Ho has transferred/committed to Clarion! Welcome home kid!

131669030_10164333736500521_8633833803094752411_o.jpg

Last edited:
Not desirable due to his dad... kid is top notch but comes with enormous parental baggage with his dad

I disagree with this.

I've known Mark for 40 years. He's passionate, knowledgeable, and well-connected. But, "baggage" he is not. I've never known Mark to take a backseat to many, but he's fiercely loyal to those who are loyal to him. He doesn't seem to be an issue with Reynolds Head Coach, Casey Taylor, so I think it's foolish to think he'd be an issue for any college coach.

As others have noted, CStar wrestled for him at Bad Karma and has been on countless roadtrips to tournaments with the Steens. It wouldn't surprise me if CStar is talking about the PSU room and making Gary think about the possibilities. But, Mark wrestled for a year or two at Pitt, Gary's cousin (Cole Matthews) and another former teammate (Cole Rickert) wrestle for Pitt, a Reynolds Assistant Coach is a former Pitt wrestler, and Reynolds' most successful collegiate wrestler ever (Mark Bodo) wrestled at Pitt. There are a lot of reasons for Gary to go to Pitt. No doubt that Penn State was an option for him when he first committed to Pitt, I'd be surprised if something has changed to make him consider flipping. All that being said, Steen would be a great get for any program.

Is it that big? He hasn't been great for them and transferring because he can't beat out Jaime Hernandez. Several bad losses last year. Recently got beat bad in an exhibition match by Kai Orine. Seems like he's a much better freestyler a la Jordan Decatur.
Thanks for the education. Haven’t been tracking him at UNC.

Reactions: jtothemfp
But what's that have to do with THIS YEAR and whether BB is in the lineup?
I don't think it does? I'm not the poster, so I don't know what he actually meant, but my interpretation was that having another solid 125 would allow Howard to redshirt in the future without making the lineup worse.

I don't think it does? I'm not the poster, so I don't know what he actually meant, but my interpretation was that having another solid 125 would allow Howard to redshirt in the future without making the lineup worse.
Why does Howard need to redshirt in the future? It's a free year this year.

Why does Howard need to redshirt in the future? It's a free year this year.
Lmao, I'm not the guy who said it. But to answer the question, injury or because he wants one. Did Nico need to redshirt? Zain?

Ummm, pretty sure we just signed another 125 named Gary Steen

Oddly enough we may never see Howard at 125. I don't see him at 125 for more than a year or two. This year is still at risk of not happening due to Covid.

Howard and half the team could RS next year, heck Iowa loses noone next year, so it could be a potential plan to set up another multi year run.

Then in 2022/23 we could come back absolutely stacked to the friggin gills with Howard, RBY, Nick, Beau, SVN, Facundo (he might even grey shirt then redshirt to create a fit) and AB all coming off redshirt.

NO, I am not saying next year will be a punt year, but it is possible, and Howard is not the only guy in a redshirt conversation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Str8DBLz
I think it's been mentioned the original plan was to shirt everyone available but with it being a free year, Cael decided eh why not.

Reactions: Ski and Str8DBLz
Oddly enough we may never see Howard at 125. I don't see him at 125 for more than a year or two. This year is still at risk of not happening due to Covid.

Howard and half the team could RS next year, heck Iowa loses noone next year, so it could be a potential plan to set up another multi year run.

Then in 2022/23 we could come back absolutely stacked to the friggin gills with Howard, RBY, Nick, Beau, SVN, Facundo (he might even grey shirt then redshirt to create a fit) and AB all coming off redshirt.

NO, I am not saying next year will be a punt year, but it is possible, and Howard is not the only guy in a redshirt conversation.
I think we'll be stacked to the gills next year.

Lets do Cassar:
correct me if wrong

He won his title in his fifth year of college,
was granted 2 med years,
decided to use one of them
got hurt very early last year,albeit in a FS match.
COULD have been eligible to wrestle this year,but... its a free year so actually could have wrestled NEXT year too.
Is that 8 years?!?

Reactions: Lumpy Johnson
Are Eierman and Kemm really planning to be 7th year seniors?
Its possible but who knows what happens. Teams will have logjams in their lineups to deal with, scholarship limitations and the wrestlers themselves will have financial limitations. Most of them are on partial scholarships...a few may decide they would rather join a RTC and get paid to wrestle then stay on another year of college where they can pay to wrestle (partial scholarships). If a wrestler reaches his goal of a national championship, he might decide time to move on.

Reactions: IndyNit93
Its possible but who knows what happens. Teams will have logjams in their lineups to deal with, scholarship limitations and the wrestlers themselves will have financial limitations. Most of them are on partial scholarships...a few may decide they would rather join a RTC and get paid to wrestle then stay on another year of college where they can pay to wrestle (partial scholarships). If a wrestler reaches his goal of a national championship, he might decide time to move on.
And then there’s injuries. Every year that passes, it gets a little harder to stay healthy (and hangovers hurt more and more 😕)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT