ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Recruiting Class Thread

I know we all think every year is the “most
important year”, but 2019 might be it for us. If we continue to play well and show the local recruits we are on the cusp of being elite, we could clean up in the 2020 class. There are 5 or 6 five star kids we could have a legitimate shot at in our traditional recruiting area. Scary.
I think this is silly. Unless you are Bama or Clemson, everyone is fighting each season to prove to the next few classes of recruits that their dreams will come true if them come to their school. So, until we get to the playoff regularly and win at least one, every season is critical. Just my opinion.

Reactions: TheGLOV
I think this is silly. Unless you are Bama or Clemson, everyone is fighting each season to prove to the next few classes of recruits that their dreams will come true if them come to their school. So, until we get to the playoff regularly and win at least one, every season is critical. Just my opinion.

It’s not silly. You can’t be that obtuse .... we are already in great position for 3 kids that are dead 5 star recruits that are within our normal recruiting area radius. That is incredibly rare

There essentially are no rules unless the school a kid is transferring from files a grievance. If that happens the burden of proof rests with the school to prove the move is athletic based. Even when it happens it’s really hard to prove.

Zane Retherford had to sit out a wrestling season for that very reason. Line Mountain HS filed a grievance.

Should be good if Wingo proves to be what he's already doing, recruiting others. Some take the lead as leaders of a class and he's off to a roaring start. Key to do that with guys who have pull too, big time players. He would fit the bill, as well as Breese, Fleming and Sherman. If we get one more of those sooner than later it will be big in pulling in others imo.

Keys to keeping him or other big time recruits. Keep winning 9-11 games and staying relevant in the top 10-12 at worst range and keep coaching staff in tact. Namely, Pry/Seider.

Reactions: LionJim and TheGLOV
Hes not a DT, hes a DE for sure.
If the 247 listing of 6’5” and 290 pounds as a high school junior is anywhere close to accurate, I don’t see how he isn’t a future defensive tackle. I know you’re familiar with the kid’s high school, though, so maybe he’s lighter than what he’s listed at.

PSU is in a decent spot there, but UGa in particular is also in a good spot. tOSU isn't going to lay down either.
PSU, UGA, OSU, you pick the order. UGA's facilities are top of the line which is why JF was harping so much on upgrades.

If the 247 listing of 6’5” and 290 pounds as a high school junior is anywhere close to accurate, I don’t see how he isn’t a future defensive tackle. I know you’re familiar with the kid’s high school, though, so maybe he’s lighter than what he’s listed at.
Its a little heavy I believe, but not much. Check out his highlights at the opening and other camps. He destroys top flight OT. Just ask current PSU OT Rasheed Walker about his pass rush skills. I would not doubt that he would be a guy who could move inside on 3rd and long though.

Or the second coming of the round mound of rebound. lol

It’s not silly. You can’t be that obtuse .... we are already in great position for 3 kids that are dead 5 star recruits that are within our normal recruiting area radius. That is incredibly rare
My point is that the following year will also have great pressure, either (hopefully) to continue to reduce the gap between us and and Bama/Clemson, or to continue to maintain in the peloton.

2020 OT JIMMY CHRIST LANDS PENN STATE OFFER

https://www.blackshoediaries.com/20...continues-quest-for-another-wide-receiver-bsd

Penn State will be looking for a tackle-heavy offensive line class in 2020, and one member it hopes to add to its class is newly offered three-star Virginia OT Jimmy Christ.

Jimmy Christ@Jimmy_Christ66

Very excited to have received my 24th offer from Penn State!!!

9:15 AM - Dec 21, 2018
50 people are talking about this

Twitter Ads info and privacy
Christ is a good-looking prospect at 6-foot-7, 280 pounds, and has landed some other big time offers the last few days from the likes of Notre Dame and Michigan. His brother Tommy — who you may remember because Penn State offered him at one point — is heading into his redshirt sophomore season with the Virginia Cavaliers, so expect the in-state Hoos to be legitimate players here.

The Nittany Lions aren’t hurting for options at offensive tackle in 2020. Current commit Gabe Toutant could easily kick to the outside, while uncommitted prospects like Michael Carmody, Aaryn Parks, Anton Harrison, Zak Zinter, and Olu Fashanu have all visited Penn State within the last six months. But still, as we learned in 2019, it’s best to have as many of those bookends as possible.

Reactions: grinagrin
Chris Tyree is Journey Brown fast. Last winter indoor track season he ran best times of 6.41, 6.39, 6.41, 6.47, and 6.43 in the 60 meters in five separate meets. 60 meters translates to 65.1 yards roughly. One of the board mathematicians can figure out the translation from 60 meters to 40 yards, but the kid can really fly. His sophomore season highlights will confirm that it translates to the football field.

Chris Tyree is Journey Brown fast. Last winter indoor track season he ran best times of 6.41, 6.39, 6.41, 6.47, and 6.43 in the 60 meters in five separate meets. 60 meters translates to 65.1 yards roughly. One of the board mathematicians can figure out the translation from 60 meters to 40 yards, but the kid can really fly. His sophomore season highlights will confirm that it translates to the football field.
I don’t think it’s a simple interpolation, because it involves coming up to full speed from the start and then a relative constant speed. I would guess some runners get to full speed faster than others.

Reactions: eidolon21

Marshawn Lloyd, who is a much more robust RB, ran a personal best of 6.56, ten days ago. That is far from a shabby time and he runs with much more power. He can also make people miss.

https://247sports.com/Video/Junior-year-highlights-8865730/?View=Full

I believe that Penn State is the current favorite for both of these 5-stars.

Especially Fleming, who is a PA guy living about 90 minutes from State College and seems to visit Penn State at least once a month.
That would be crazy, awesome great recruiting coup. This would give the Penn State 2020 class such notoriety and give Penn State the chance to compete with Bama for the top recruiting class.

Alas, I think it’s too early to get that excited. Fleming just announced his top ten. It would be strange to turn around and commit to Penn State right after.

Has either of them said when they were planning to verbal?

That would be crazy, awesome great recruiting coup. This would give the Penn State 2020 class such notoriety and give Penn State the chance to compete with Bama for the top recruiting class.

Alas, I think it’s too early to get that excited. Fleming just announced his top ten. It would be strange to turn around and commit to Penn State right after.

Has either of them said when they were planning to verbal?

I wouldn't put too much thought into those tweets, as it's just kids having fun with recruiting process.

Fleming's list actually went up, as he released a "Top 6" through Twitter back in July

Initial Top 6 from July 2018: Ohio State, USC, Clemson, Georgia, Penn State and Virginia Tech
Top 10 from December 2018: Penn State, Alabama, Virginia Tech, Georgia, Michigan, USC, Clemson, LSU, Florida, and Ohio State

and to answer your question on when either are planning to commit...I know Fleming wants to take all 5 of his OV's throughout the spring and fall, so would guess not until at least next Fall/Winter.

Reactions: TheGLOV and colt21
I wouldn't put too much thought into those tweets, as it's just kids having fun with recruiting process.

Fleming's list actually went up, as he released a "Top 6" through Twitter back in July

Initial Top 6 from July 2018: Ohio State, USC, Clemson, Georgia, Penn State and Virginia Tech
Top 10 from December 2018: Penn State, Alabama, Virginia Tech, Georgia, Michigan, USC, Clemson, LSU, Florida, and Ohio State

and to answer your question on when either are planning to commit...I know Fleming wants to take all 5 of his OV's throughout the spring and fall, so would guess not until at least next Fall/Winter.
Thanks for the response. That’s why I said it’s too early to get excited.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT