ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Phillies Thread

Klentak exit is long overdue, his personnel decisions are really alarming. Too smug a person to be effective as a leader. J.T. should have been signed and sealed immediately after the trade. The way they slowed played Bohm drove me nuts. Get me a baseball guy not an analytics guru.
Those days are over

be interesting to see what happens to Phils attendance next year (assuming that covid is not in play which i know is a pipe dream). but attendance in 2019 season was bad. Now another disappointing year where a lot of people recognized they have better things to do with time and money then goto sports events. Could get ugly if the Phils keep the status quo.

Reactions: PSUoh90
Lived outside Baltimore for the last 25 years and always had Phillies season tickets. Now moved back to Pittsburgh area and with the product on the field, not so sure going to renew.

The Phillies are a textbook case of mismanagement. I don’t think Middleton has a clue what he’s doing as owner. The manager he just fired is on the verge of taking a bad team to the playoffs over the Phillies. What does that tell you?

Would have been a different season if Robertson and Dominguez would have been able to pitch out of the bullpen big blow not having them.

The Phillies are a textbook case of mismanagement. I don’t think Middleton has a clue what he’s doing as owner. The manager he just fired is on the verge of taking a bad team to the playoffs over the Phillies. What does that tell you?
kapler sucks

kapler sucks
I won’t dispute Kapler. My point is that he was only 1/3 of the problem. Middleton nailed it yesterday when he announced that Klentak was stepping down. The Phillies are shit at drafting and developing young talent. But the bullpen failures could have and should have been addressed via other means.

Reactions: 77 PSU
Has there been analysis of similar situations where the player wound up staying with the team? None immediately spring to mind.

I’m sure there is but any decently run organization who wants the player will obviously reach agreement before the player hits FA and allows the process to increase terms. Especially for the game’s high profile players. The old “see what you can get and then come back to us” is bad business. But then again, it’s the Phillies.

have no problem with robertson & phelps, but why not pick up neris' option? he's one of the few relievers to show a pulse this year. i'm sure it's about $$$. phils are becoming the pirates.
It’s collateral damage from an awful season and the GM leadership void. If I’m being honest, I’m not sure Neris would have a solid role on a contending club. That has to be the bar, even if it drags on for a few months.

have no problem with robertson & phelps, but why not pick up neris' option? he's one of the few relievers to show a pulse this year. i'm sure it's about $$$. phils are becoming the pirates.

Neris was very inconsistent the past 2 years. I believe the option in his contract would have cost the Phils $7 M. That's way too much for someone that was so inconsistent.

Becoming the Pirates? I don't see that. Middletown has more money than he count count. That said, all teams lost a great deal of money this past season, so it makes sense to get rid of people that cost more than their value.

The Phils could have picked up Brad Hand on waivers if they opted for his $10 M contract. If they weren't going to spend that for someone as effective as Hand, I have no problem with them not picking up Neris's option. It will be interesting to see what they can cobble together for next season in the 'pen. It's hard to imagine that it could be any worst than the 'pen they assembled for 2020.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT