ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Recruiting Class Thread

My best guess is 6 spots left, but 7 wouldn't shock me.

2 for the DL.
4 for best available/TE.

I think all the Tight End eggs are in the Strange basket. If they get him then 3 best available spots for a Bell, Moore, Cine, Harrison, Cain. Maybe a Porter or Young.

IDK how serious they are about 2 RBs with Holmes on board, but I feel like they could look to have him move to safety. I say go for 2 five stars in 2020.
well, again, the juco tackle will come in as a true Jr (three to play two). So he isn't coming in as a 4/5 year kid. So while he is a 'ship, he's really more like 1/2 of a 'ship.

well, again, the juco tackle will come in as a true Jr (three to play two). So he isn't coming in as a 4/5 year kid. So while he is a 'ship, he's really more like 1/2 of a 'ship.
Not sure how that affects the 85 for 2019. Either way counts as 1

Not sure how that affects the 85 for 2019. Either way counts as 1
it does this year....but it is a two year solution. a kid coming out of HS is a four year solution. Just thinking it affects the dynamics of taking another tackle in this class.

it does this year....but it is a two year solution. a kid coming out of HS is a four year solution. Just thinking it affects the dynamics of taking another tackle in this class.
Yup, and I had Moore in the best available pool I listed. The staff sits very well for two fringe top 100 overall tackles in Maryland in 2020. If it's not Moore, then I doubt that there will be another in 2019. Outside shot at Rouse, but I suspect not.

Reactions: Obliviax
Yup, and I had Moore in the best available pool I listed. The staff sits very well for two fringe top 100 overall tackles in Maryland in 2020. If it's not Moore, then I doubt that there will be another in 2019. Outside shot at Rouse, but I suspect not.
Agree...so, not to put too fine a point on it...getting the Juco takes some pressure off the staff so that they can take the best kid available and not just a position to fill a gap. On the other hand, that gap will occur if not addressed in a year or two.

Reactions: LionJim

As most OL recruits redshirt, the JC OT may really be a 3 year scholarship recipient, with 2 years to play. As many OL recruits are 5 year scholarship recipients, and almost none of them contribute on the field for 4 years. As if they are good enough to play as a true or redshirt freshman they many times want to test the NFL waters after playing 3 years.

I believe having Whigan in this class allows the staff to be very selective in taking an additional OT recruit for 2019. And that the staff may choose to put off taking an additional OT until 2020, where they seem to be in pretty good standing with a larger number of potentially higher level OT recruits.

Why so many OT recruit possibilities at this point in the cycle? Does the staff want a 5th OLinemen, or was the staff just casting a wide net to insure that they got 2 OT's? Time will tell..........

Last edited:
Reactions: royboy
just my .02, but I think using a JuCo on the O-line makes sense; it's a hard position to project for a 17 or 18 year old prospect, and also a hard position for a young player to get early playing time. The JuCo guy comes in with more physical maturity, and more experience. More of a known quantity for the position.

My guess is:

Strange
Bell
Isaac
Harrison-Hunte
Porter (wild card - S/LB swing guy who we find room for late in the cycle)

I tend to agree with you. And if CJF sees Parsons potentially playing LB for PSU his whole PSU career, I believe it is more likely that he takes 2 DE's in this class than it is he takes a 5th OL recruit. With only Oweh as a true DE in the 2018 class....

Edit: Forgot Tarburton, who supposedly turned some heads after he made the switch from LB to DE.......

Last edited:
OK wild speculation but maybe Young was told PSU has another RB about to announce named Cain. Parents liked the trip and "Seider-man" is the lead recruiter for the good guys. I am, after all, a PSU football FAN !

Reactions: GregInPitt
I tend to agree with you. And if CJF sees Parsons potentially playing LB for PSU his whole PSU career, I believe it is more likely that he takes 2 DE's in this class than it is he takes a 5th OL recruit. With only Oweh as a true DE in the 2018 class....
I agree - though I don’t think there are any DE’s that they feel particularly good about other than Isaac and Harrison. Obviously if Harrison wants in, there’s a spot for him. I think we lose Miller this offseason, but there’s still a pretty good rotation behind him.

As most OL recruits redshirt, the JC OT may really be a 3 year scholarship recipient, with 2 years to play. As many OL recruits are 5 year scholarship recipients, and almost none of them contribute on the field for 4 years. As if they are good enough to play as a true or redshirt freshman they many times want to test the NFL waters after playing 3 years.

I believe having Whighan in this class allows the staff to be very selective in taking an additional OT recruit for 2019. And that the staff may choose to put off taking an additional OT until 2020, where they seem to be in pretty good standing with a larger number of potentially higher level OT recruits.

Time will tell..........

If OL Anthony Whigan is experienced
& effective, he may get 2 yrs + 4 games.

The new Red Shirt rule may allow him
to play in 4 games during his initial
Red Shirt year at Penn State.

If he can join the team this January,
his experience and the extra semester
learning the system may allow him
to earn playing time in the rotation.

If he shows prowess in a particular area,
like run or pass blocking, he may see
some situational opportunities.

Hope he produces at the 4-Star level.

If OL Anthony Whigan is experienced
& effective, he may get 2 yrs + 4 games.

The new Red Shirt rule may allow him
to play in 4 games during his initial
Red Shirt year at Penn State.

If he can join the team this January,
his experience and the extra semester
learning the system may allow him
to earn playing time in the rotation.

If he shows prowess in a particular area,
like run or pass blocking, he may see
some situational opportunities.

Hope he produces at the 4-Star level.

Yes, the new redshirt rule allows players to get on the field without using a year of eligibility. But I do not see it being used much, if at all, with olinemen other than in reaction to very significant injuries. A team typically needs to build the continuity within the OL necessary due to the normal attrition/graduation among the unit each year. But with a talented JC player it would be a good way to get a talented player some game experience in anticipation of that player potentially starting the next year.

If the team was low on OL numbers, like 3 or 4 years ago, it might have been more of an option for olinemen. But with 2 deep OL of talented players that does not include true freshmen it likely is more important to give any available reps to the 2nd team players (and not to a true freshmen)

Last edited:
Per the 247 composite rankings, 12 of PSU's 16 recruits have 4 stars or more.

7610804.jpg

Reactions: TheGLOV
And if CJF sees Parsons potentially playing LB for PSU his whole PSU career, I believe it is more likely that he takes 2 DE's in this class than it is he takes a 5th OL recruit.

I think Parsons ends up playing more downs at DE than he sees at LB. He was great at DE, and we need sacks from the DE position to stop losses like USC, tOSU, and MSU. With a great rush DE we win those games.

Per the 247 composite rankings, 12 of PSU's 16 recruits have 4 stars or more.

7610804.jpg

Per Rivals, PSU’s 3.69 avg boosts the Nittany Lions to the #6 Team in their Team Avg Star Ratings. Penn State’s Star Ranking leads the Big Ten.

I think Parsons ends up playing more downs at DE than he sees at LB. He was great at DE, and we need sacks from the DE position to stop losses like USC, tOSU, and MSU. With a great rush DE we win those games.
Parsons can grt to the passer as an OLB standng next to the DE. Not making a comparison, of course, but that’s what LTaylor did.

Four crystal balls for Isaac to LSU from LSU insiders it looks like.

Last edited:
Reactions: fps1
Seven commits plan to enroll in January
tyler-rudolph-james-franklin_i98l80.jpg

Seven commits have told Lions247 that they plan on enrolling for the spring semester in 2019. Quarterbacks Ta’Quan Roberson and Michael Johnson Jr., both plan on being in that group, as well as new wide receiver commitment Emery Simmons. On the defensive side of the ball, five-star linebacker Brandon Smith will be an early enrollee and be joined by the Connecticut defensive back duo of Tyler Rudolph and Marquis Wilson and State College (Pa.) cornerback Keaton Ellis.

Seven commits plan to enroll in January
tyler-rudolph-james-franklin_i98l80.jpg

Seven commits have told Lions247 that they plan on enrolling for the spring semester in 2019. Quarterbacks Ta’Quan Roberson and Michael Johnson Jr., both plan on being in that group, as well as new wide receiver commitment Emery Simmons. On the defensive side of the ball, five-star linebacker Brandon Smith will be an early enrollee and be joined by the Connecticut defensive back duo of Tyler Rudolph and Marquis Wilson and State College (Pa.) cornerback Keaton Ellis.

Huge for the QB's to get in early and learn the system. Almost assures Smith will be in the LB rotation as a true FR too.

Reactions: Judge Smails
Pickel apparently isn’t aware that Young was at PSU last week.

Penn State just recently jumped aboard with one of its few in-state offers back in July, and Rutgers has a heavy lead in the 247Sports' Crystal Ball predictions.

"Coach (James) Franklin called my coach, and said it's been a long process, but he wanted to offer me," Young told PennLive last month.

"They want me to visit, and get a feel for them since they came on later in the process."

It's not clear if the back will visit before deciding, though, as prospects cannot visit schools until Sept. 1

Re: Isaac:

On one of the LSU articles it looks like the A&M insiders comment was copied, and not behind a paywall, that from his digging, LSU would have to blow Isaac out of the water otherwise he is Penn State bound.

Re: Isaac:

On one of the LSU articles it looks like the A&M insiders comment was copied, and not behind a paywall, that from his digging, LSU would have to blow Isaac out of the water otherwise he is Penn State bound.
That is assuming he actually makes the visit. No doubt a visit to BR for a big night game could open up a recruits eyes, but to put a CB in on that because your DB coach once coached at RU is idiotic. That is why I say you have to know which CB's to follow. IF...big IF he makes a visit and you see Steve or Fitz say he is going there...it will probably happen. You have to see if the visit actually occurs though.

Really wish Dixon was an EE. Need to get both he and Smith on that depth chart and rising.

I believe by this coming November we all will be pleasantly surprised by the LB depth chart, and the experience that this year's young LB's will get will pay nice dividends going into 2019. The losses from the LB depth going into 2019 being Farmer, Bowen, and Cooper, there will be plenty of talent (JJohnson, Brown, Miller, Brooks, BFW, Darien, Luketa, Parsons, Katshir) returning, such that Dixon and Smith will need to really show their stuff early to not redshirt. But having both for at least the allowed 4 games under the new redshirt rule should help special teams coverage......

Lots of talented LB's going into 2019, and the experience that they will get in 2018 will make next Fall's camp very competitive as the LB's work to earn starting positions....

Last edited:
I believe by this coming November we all will be pleasantly surprised by the LB depth chart, and the experience that this year's young LB's will get will pay nice dividends going into 2019. The losses from the LB depth going into 2019 being Farmer, Bowen, and Cooper, there will be plenty of talent (JJohnson, Brown, Miller, Brooks, BFW, Darien, Luketa, Parsons, Katshir) returning, such that Dixon and Smith will need to really show their stuff early to not redshirt. But having both for at least the allowed 4 games under the new redshirt rule should help special teams coverage......
I think Dixon could potentially be shirted depending on how much weight he’s able to put on before he gets here. With Smith’s size and skillset already and his plans to enroll early, I’d be surprised if he stays off the field. Five star kids just don’t usually redshirt outside of quarterback and offensive line.

That is assuming he actually makes the visit. No doubt a visit to BR for a big night game could open up a recruits eyes, but to put a CB in on that because your DB coach once coached at RU is idiotic. That is why I say you have to know which CB's to follow. IF...big IF he makes a visit and you see Steve or Fitz say he is going there...it will probably happen. You have to see if the visit actually occurs though.
Isaac did retweet the below from Shea Dixon that mentions a visit. Still has his official left to PSU too. Their CBs are way too optimistic.

Reactions: TheGLOV
I think Dixon could potentially be shirted depending on how much weight he’s able to put on before he gets here. With Smith’s size and skillset already and his plans to enroll early, I’d be surprised if he stays off the field. Five star kids just don’t usually redshirt outside of quarterback and offensive line.
Yeah. PSU will be losing 2 starters with Farmer and Bowen, but I think we'll see a ton of Brown, Brooks, Parsons, Luketa, Miller, J Johnson and Faison Walden this year. Katshir can take the year to really rehab the shoulder to boot. Mix in Smith with that group next year and the LB situation is greatly improved moving forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGLOV and royboy
Yeah. PSU will be losing 2 starters with Farmer and Bowen, but I think we'll see a ton of Brown, Brooks, Parsons, Luketa, Miller, J Johnson and Faison Walden this year. Katshir can take the year to really rehab the shoulder to boot. Mix is Smith with that group next year and the LB situation is greatly improved moving forwrad.
Yes. Back to Linebacker-U.

The only problem with that name is that WideReceiver-U or RunningBack-U may be just as appropriate. ;)

Yeah. PSU will be losing 2 starters with Farmer and Bowen, but I think we'll see a ton of Brown, Brooks, Parsons, Luketa, Miller, J Johnson and Faison Walden this year. Katshir can take the year to really rehab the shoulder to boot. Mix in Smith with that group next year and the LB situation is greatly improved moving forward.

I'm wondering how long it will take Bowen to round into shape? Don't want to turn this into a "thing", but look at the difference in his legs from last year to this year. He may have to drop some pounds before he can see the field, imo. I wouldn't pencil him in as a "starter" at this point.

manny-bowen-tracks-the-play-during-the-bluewhite-spring-game-on-april-picture-id671624528

Dj7mU2NWwAAkxLF.jpg

Reactions: TheGLOV and royboy
I can't imagine Bowen playing much the first half of the season. Not so much because of conditioning, but more because he has lots to prove to the coaching staff before they trust him anytime soon. I have no expectations for him to contribute before November.

I'm wondering how long it will take Bowen to round into shape? Don't want to turn this into a "thing", but look at the difference in his legs from last year to this year. He may have to drop some pounds before he can see the field, imo. I wouldn't pencil him in as a "starter" at this point.

manny-bowen-tracks-the-play-during-the-bluewhite-spring-game-on-april-picture-id671624528

Dj7mU2NWwAAkxLF.jpg

I noticed this too. Bowen does not look like he's in shape to be playing full time as a BIG LBer. His upper body also looks to have lost some muscle tone. The difference between PSU's fitness program and working out on your own is huge. The hype around him being back initially seemed legit, but now seems like it needs to be majorly toned back.

I can't imagine Bowen playing much the first half of the season. Not so much because of conditioning, but more because he has lots to prove to the coaching staff before they trust him anytime soon. I have no expectations for him to contribute before November.

No doubt that Bowen is not in the shape he would have been if he had gone through summer S & C. NFL holdouts also come into the NFL camps late and with conditioning issues at times, but seem to recover pretty quickly. But I still believe that a 21 or 22 year old athlete can get in shape in 4-6 weeks and I believe Bowen will have an integral role by the time the bug-eyes come to town.........

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT