ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Recruiting Thread

Andrew Ellis of Eleven Warriers has turned his crystal ball pick on Rasheed Walker foggy. Might be confirmation Rasheed has a yellow light in this class and is exploring his options.

Reactions: TheGLOV and bdgan
Andrew Ellis of Eleven Warriers has turned his crystal ball pick on Rasheed Walker foggy. Might be confirmation Rasheed has a yellow light in this class and is exploring his options.
OSU and Jackson Carmen also seem to have parted ways in his recruitment. OSU had backed off Walker a bit in pursuit of Carmen, but I could very well see them getting back in contention with Walker, especially if we're trending in the right direction for more than one of the three DEs.

Reactions: TheGLOV
my concern with not getting Walker is that we don't have enough "True" OT's in the system and in the queue.......jmo
I understand your concern. I think in the RPO "true" tackles are't as big of a deal as in a pro style offense. Bates and Mahon aren't really "true" tackles and they've held up pretty well.

FWIW Wilfong just CBed Solomon Enis to Arizona State.
Very interesting. I know he had been wavering recently on whether he was going to visit this fall. I feel for the kid as a letterman's son that we seem to be out of space, but I would think this might be a signal of how the staff might be feeling about the DEs - particularly in the chances of us landing more than one of them.

my concern with not getting Walker is that we don't have enough "True" OT's in the system and in the queue.......jmo
I agree, there are some guys who can play at a high level at both OT and guard, but most guys fit into one or the other molds...

He just changed it to OSU.

Ellis also CB's Parsons to PSU this morning....soooo writing could be on wall for both of those guys.

Happy with this OL class and the to turn away a kid like Walker, but think we're pretty loaded in the underclass and '18 recruits. Parsons, Oweh and Smith are definitely more important takes to this class than another OT.

Ellis also CB's Parsons to PSU this morning....soooo writing could be on wall for both of those guys.

Happy with this OL class and the to turn away a kid like Walker, but think we're pretty loaded in the underclass and '18 recruits. Parsons, Oweh and Smith are definitely more important takes to this class than another OT.
Hmm I wish we could carry a few of these kids over to next year. For OL 2019 we will get Wallace from Jersey, but outside of that we're kind of 50-50, at best, on Olmstead from Jersey, and a punchers chance, probably even less, on Dobbs from Michigan. There is also the 3* Pittsburgh kid Kristofic. IDK would be great to carry Walker over somehow.

Parsons was trending OSU. Walker was trending PSU.

If there was one spot for the two of them, would you take a trade of Walker for Parsons? I would.

Parsons was trending OSU. Walker was trending PSU.

If there was one spot for the two of them, would you take a trade of Walker for Parsons? I would.

I would absolutely.... and it's not a shot at Walker in any way to say that. Would have been very happy had he ended up at PSU but Parsons is a flat-out game changer.

Reactions: MilesBarkley
Just saw Jordan Miner's (PSU cornerback commit) tweet with the graphic from Oregon. Always peaks the interest of PSU commits who may be looking around.

Has anyone seen or heard of any PSU commits planning to take any visits elsewhere (Official or Unofficial)?

All we need to do is:
Get Walker, Raines, Enis, and one of the DEs (lets go with Oweh here) to all grayshirt...oh and get Levis to grayshirt too, if we get Fields back.
That way we can be about done with next year too.
Seems so simple to me.

Just saw Jordan Miner's (PSU cornerback commit) tweet with the graphic from Oregon. Always peaks the interest of PSU commits who may be looking around.

Has anyone seen or heard of any PSU commits planning to take any visits elsewhere (Official or Unofficial)?

I assume he and Taggert knew each other when Taggert was in FLA. Looks like Taggert wished him luck for a big game between two FLA powerhouses. He looks pretty committed to PSU.

I think it's pretty safe to say, at this point in the recruiting process, any committed recruit who shows up anywhere other than Penn State had lost his spot.

Reactions: ghrenko and TheGLOV
I think it's pretty safe to say, at this point in the recruiting process, any committed recruit who shows up anywhere other than Penn State had lost his spot.

Got that right XB

The environment has totally changed
Now recruits need to ensure they KEEP their spots

It will be a mistake if CJF can't find room for Enis......

PSU needs to make room for high talent legacy players.

Last edited:

"True OT's", all 6'5" or taller, that will be on the 2018 roster (2018 eligibility):

Wright GR/SR
Jenkins SR/JR
Gellerstedt JR/SO
Fries JR/SO
Holmes SO/FR

Asiedu 2018 Freshmen
Reed 2018 Freshmen

Additionally, it looks like Bates (SR/JR in 2018) may play his whole PSU career at OT, and Martin (redshirt freshmen in 2018) and Effner (2018 commit) are 6'4"- 6'5" and seem to have been recruited as swing players that can play Guard or OT.

How many OT's do we expect CJF to carry on the roster? 85 scholarships allow less than a 4 deep at each position, so 7 OT's would seem to be the limit.

Will Bates stay at OT for 2018? Will Gellerstedt and Fries battle to start and team with Wright in 2018? One of the two current redshirt freshmen could be a 3 year starter beginning in 2018.

Always great to add a player of Walker's caliber, at any position. But I don't see OT as more of a priority than most positions. And although OL depth is necessary to account for injuries, CJF's teams will always play more DE's and WR's to keep them fresh, with minimal substitutions along the OL.

Defense usually wins championships, and right now we need some big playmakers to take the defense to a championship level.

Last edited:
"True OT's":

Wright SR/JR
Jenkins JR/SO
Gellerstedt SO/FR
Fries SO/FR
Holmes FR/FR
Asiedu 2018 Freshmen
Reed 2018 Freshmen

Additionally, Martin (True freshmen) and Effner (2018 commit) are around 6'5" and seem to have been recruited as swing players that can play Guard or OT.

Will Gellerstedt and Fries battle to start and team with Wright in 2018? One of the two current redshirt freshmen could be a 3 year starter beginning in 2018.

Always great to add a player of Walker's caliber, at any position. But I don't see OT as more of a priority than most positions. And although OL depth is necessary to account for injuries, CJF's teams will always play more DE's and WR's to keep them fresh, with minimal substitutions along the OL.

Defense usually wins championships, and right now we need some big playmakers to take the defense to a championship level.

Like i said not much in the way of “True - Stud - OTs”

I’m not arguing against more stud defensive players mind you - just making the case for true stud OTs

Also, I was a defensive player when I played so my heart and soul is on that side of the ball. However I was an OC when I coached so there’s that

But when I constantly hear the defense wins championships argument (like “elite” defenses like Bama and Clemson), then I look at the scores and total yardage of the last two championship games, I wonder what I’m missing?

Of course I think we are in an envious position to be discussing which “studs” we want to fill out this class - no matter which side of the ball they are on!!!

Mistake? How long has this kid had an offer and didn't pull the trigger? He sees what is going on and the numbers involved. It's on him if he now wants to go to PSU and there's no longer room.

You sound like you have all the details of his recruitment. Keep enlightening us.....

Wrong. You, or anyone else here, have no idea how his scholarship was presented, how WR's were prioritized, ......

Last edited:
Like i said not much in the way of “True - Stud - OTs”

I’m not arguing against more stud defensive players mind you - just making the case for true stud OTs

Also, I was a defensive player when I played so my heart and soul is on that side of the ball. However I was an OC when I coached so there’s that

But when I constantly hear the defense wins championships argument (like “elite” defenses like Bama and Clemson), then I look at the scores and total yardage of the last two championship games, I wonder what I’m missing?

Of course I think we are in an envious position to be discussing which “studs” we want to fill out this class - no matter which side of the ball they are on!!!

Like you mistakenly said....

OT's, even elite talent, rarely come in and play as true or redshirt freshmen. If you believe otherwise, look up when recent All-B10 OT's started in their careers. Wright has started for a B10 champion, and you seem to be writing off the talent of Gellerstedt and Fries. And then there are the two 2018 OT's already committed. That's 5 high end talent OT's that will be on the 2018 roster. And what are we to make of Holmes, as he is one of the first of the true freshmen OL players to "earn his stripe". Ahead of Thorpe.

It will be interesting to see how Fries, Gellerstedt, Holmes and other develop, as they will be the first OT's that will have been taught their trade by Limegrover over their whole PSU careers.

I'd love for CJF to find room for Walker. But not ahead of any of the difference maker DE's (Oweh or Smith) or Parsons who I'm hoping plays LB......

But a great problem to have, as CJF has commented. Having to turn away 4 star talent.

True freshmen rarely start period even if they show up for spring ball.... Walker won't start at PSU or O$U. He will redshirt.

Like you mistakenly said....

OT's, even elite talent, rarely come in and play as true or redshirt freshmen. If you believe otherwise, look up when recent All-B10 OT's started in their careers. Wright has started for a B10 champion, and you seem to be writing off the talent of Gellerstedt and Fries. And then there are the two 2018 OT's already committed. That's 5 high end talent OT's that will be on the 2018 roster. And what are we to make of Holmes, as he is one of the first of the true freshmen OL players to "earn his stripe". Ahead of Thorpe.

It will be interesting to see how Fries, Gellerstedt, Holmes and other develop, as they will be the first OT's that will have been taught their trade by Limegrover over their whole PSU careers.

I'd love for CJF to find room for Walker. But not ahead of any of the difference maker DE's (Oweh or Smith) or Parsons who I'm hoping plays LB......

But a great problem to have, as CJF has commented. Having to turn away 4 star talent.

I don’t make mistakes !

Yes I agree a great “problem” to have !

Hmm I wish we could carry a few of these kids over to next year. For OL 2019 we will get Wallace from Jersey, but outside of that we're kind of 50-50, at best, on Olmstead from Jersey, and a punchers chance, probably even less, on Dobbs from Michigan. There is also the 3* Pittsburgh kid Kristofic. IDK would be great to carry Walker over somehow.
I think there is room for Walker... they may not go to a plan b o line guy if Walker doesn't sign with us, but we need prototypical tackles.

Would any of them be interested in greyshirt? Maybe the injured kicker...

Bump Bump - This thread should never be page 2

BTW, what is the record for most views on one thread on this board? 1,169,000+ has to be up there.

Reactions: LionJim
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT