ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Recruiting Thread

If I remember correctly, I think Brandon Short had a child prior to or during his career at Penn State. It might be much more common with PSU football players than I am aware though.
Yea.. kudos to him for wanting to be there for her. Too bad we probably don't gave room for him

He has a daughter at home... which is why he's considering Rutgers. Said he really liked CJF's support about the situation

Yea.. kudos to him for wanting to be there for her. Too bad we probably don't gave room for him

If Tyler is motivated about his daughter, by a great family environment, combined with great training and experience for his future...

Perhaps he'd delay enrollment for a few months as a Grayshirt. A way to get the best of everything at Penn State.

Plus, PSU to NJ is driving distance. UM is not.

Just some general comments.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGLOV
If Tyler is that motivated about his daughter, as well as a great family environment, combined with great training and experience for his future...

Perhaps he'd delay enrollment for a few months as a Grayshirt. A way to get the best of everything at Penn State.

Plus, PSU to NJ is driving distance. UM is not.

Just some general comments.
Unfortunately, grayshirting would require that he pay his own way for at least a semester - and in Penn State's case, that would mean out of state tuition. As a high schooler with a child, I'd be somewhat surprised if he and his family could swing that financially.

As much as we loved Coach J, he was never quite at this level in recruiting elite defensive linemen at PSU. Difference may be our head coach's involvement.

Coach Chaos already has a great track record at PSU (walk-on Carl Nassib, 3-star AJ Johnson, Anthony Zettel, etc). Look at the production he's getting from guys with middling offers (Cothran, Cothren, Windsor, Givens, Torrence, Toney, etc). Now he's getting his hands on some seriously dangerous talent, and that is a very exciting thing. Close your eyes and imagine waves upon waves of nektons devouring Tate Martell and McCaffrey. That will soon be a reality with this group of Wild Dogs.

Last edited:
Why did I always think a grayshirt was not enrolled until January? I thought the student-athlete would not be in school at all in the fall.

OL

From USAToday 2016...

Grayshirts are recruits who are offered a delayed scholarship. Essentially, grayshirts will postpone their enrollment until after the conclusion of the upcoming season; they will take classes, often as part-time students, but not officially join the program until the ensuing spring semester.

Schools use the grayshirt to add recruits without sacrificing scholarship numbers. Though a grayshirt graduates at the same time as other prospects, delaying the player’s enrollment allows a program to count that scholarship offer toward the following season’s total — making the grayshirt a helpful tool for those programs who tend to over-sign recruits.

Arizona will add four grayshirts to their official roster this spring. All four — defensive back Antonio Parks, tight end Jamie Nunley and offensive linemen Keenan Walker and Harper Sherman — signed national letters of intent with the Wildcats last winter but delayed their official enrollment until January.

Last edited:
Perhaps some BLUESHIRTS might be added...

Again from USAToday, 2016...

Meanwhile, blueshirts represent the newest loophole for FBS programs to accumulate depth while not affecting their annual numbers.

Like grayshirt recruits, blueshirts are counted toward the next season’s scholarship total.

There is one distinct difference, however. Unlike grayshirts, a blueshirt is able to enroll and participate in team events in the fall.

This allows programs to get the best of both worlds:

FBS schools can delay a scholarship for the following year, allowing them to over-sign beyond the 25-scholarship limit,

and get the use of a prospect immediately rather than waiting until the following spring.
The use of a blueshirt was first popularized by New Mexico State, which would support its numbers

by enrolling prospects right after the beginning of the fall semester and then place them on scholarship.
Tennessee has also embraced the use of blueshirts under coach Butch Jones.
=========

Hmmm... Blueshirt - A tricky new twist?

Last edited:
If Greyshirts and Blueshirts aren't enough...

Early Enrollees appear
to be called GREENSHIRTS.​

Note: Colorblind coaches need not apply.
;)

========

From USAToday 2016:

Greenshirt recruits are those who enroll one semester ahead of schedule and join an FBS program for the start of the spring term in January. Typically, greenshirts are the most likely to earn immediate playing time as a true freshman.

There are two reasons for this.

For starters, the ability to enroll early places greenshirt recruits ahead of the curve, giving them time to acclimate to campus, participate in spring practice, to fully digest an offensive or defensive scheme and the opportunity to develop in a team’s strength and conditioning program.

Greenshirts are also very often among the nation’s best prospects at their respective positions, eyeballed far in advance by FBS programs as recruits capable of making an immediate impact as true freshmen.​

Last edited:
Why is that you and others are always obsessing about these numbers? EVERYONE knows the situation and EVERYONE knows that JF can't end up with more than 85 and break NCAA rules. So what SHOULD that tell you? It should tell you that YOU (or anyone) don't know all the facts of how JF will get to 85. Can't you just accept that and just fvckin wait? EVERYONE hopes he doesn't resort to processing a few kids that have already been in the program, but for gawd's sake can't you just wait and stop beating the dead horse.

:eek:

Perhaps some BLUESHIRTS might be added...

Again from USAToday, 2016...

Meanwhile, blueshirts represent the newest loophole for FBS programs to accumulate depth while not affecting their annual numbers.

Like grayshirt recruits, blueshirts are counted toward the next season’s scholarship total.

There is one distinct difference, however. Unlike grayshirts, a blueshirt is able to enroll and participate in team events in the fall.

This allows programs to get the best of both worlds:

FBS schools can delay a scholarship for the following year, allowing them to over-sign beyond the 25-scholarship limit,

and get the use of a prospect immediately rather than waiting until the following spring.
The use of a blueshirt was first popularized by New Mexico State, which would support its numbers

by enrolling prospects right after the beginning of the fall semester and then place them on scholarship.
Tennessee has also embraced the use of blueshirts under coach Butch Jones.​
=========

Hmmm... Blueshirt - A tricky new twist?
Nice find on this. I wonder if Barber counts towards this? Since he didn't enroll until after classes started.

Reactions: T J
I won breakfast this morning because I controlled time of possession of the tongs.

I used bracket coverage to get them yesterday. Parked my cart inside of my targeted cinnamon raisin bagels and circled the little
kiosk from the outside preventing anyone from getting near them.

Weren't you concerned that someone would use an RPO (Raisin Bread Pancake Option)?

ksbp.gif

Wiltfong appeared on the Bucknuts podcast this morning. He goes into the recruitment of Ty Smith, Oweh, and Parsons with the Bucknuts host. Wiltfong of course has all three CB'd to Penn State. In particular, Wiltfong thinks Smith ends up at Penn State. The host asks "Is he intimidated by the depth chart at Ohio State?" F'g Ohio State, man. Wiltfong says the assumption all along that OSU led for Smith was wrong. No one has recruited Smith harder or longer than Penn State. Oweh goes back and forth between Penn State and Ohio State. Wiltfong isn't completely sure Penn State would take Parsons. Go to 6:34 for the beginning of the defensive end talk.

Wiltfong appeared on the Bucknuts podcast this morning. He goes into the recruitment of Ty Smith, Oweh, and Parsons with the Bucknuts host. Wiltfong of course has all three CB'd to Penn State. In particular, Wiltfong thinks Smith ends up at Penn State. The host asks "Is he intimidated by the depth chart at Ohio State?" F'g Ohio State, man. Wiltfong says the assumption all along that OSU led for Smith was wrong. No one has recruited Smith harder or longer than Penn State. Oweh goes back and forth between Penn State and Ohio State. Wiltfong isn't completely sure Penn State would take Parsons. Go to 6:34 for the beginning of the defensive end talk.

Host also asked Wiltfong who is the best team in the Big Ten. He didn't like Wiltfong's "Penn State" answer.

Host also asked Wiltfong

who is the best team in the Big Ten.

He didn't like Wiltfong's "Penn State" answer.

Hahaha...

Bet he didn't like that at all.

;)

FYI -
After the DE discussion, forward to 15:00 to hear the closing comments on which is the best team in the Big Ten.

Last edited:
Interesting. FWIW this article says that a blueshirt can not be recruited (ie. official visit).
https://reignoftroy.com/2015/01/24/football-recruiting-blueshirt/

Good stuff bdgan.

Nice chart, based on 2015 HS Grad Class:

Scholarships-Official Visit?-Counts Towards-Enrolls

Early enrollee-Yes--2014 or 2015---Spring 2015
Fall enrollee---Yes--2015 ----------- Fall 2015
Blueshirt--------No---2016 -----------Fall 2015
Grayshirt-------Yes--2016 -----------Spring 2016

If we're looking strictly at DE depth, OSU is a lot thinner than PSU when it comes to numbers....especially if Hubbard bolts after this year and Bosa follows suit after '18 season.

This basically leaves OSU with only 4 DEs on current roster + '18 verbals that would have eligibility for '19.

Conversely, PSU right now has 8.....sooooo, intimidated by depth? Not exactly.

I started listening to a Cleveland sports station while at work since I am an Indians/Cavs/Browns fan. They had a guy on the other day from the Buckets and he said that if Ohio State and Penn State played 10 times Penn State would win 7 or 8 of them. He basically said that Ohio State has no chance of winning the game if Barrett is the quarterback. If they changed quarterbacks, then it would be 50/50 or more in Ohio States favor. They where then asked who wins the Big Ten and the guy said without a doubt Penn State. He went onto say that this is the biggest downfall of Urban, that he sticks with a guy in an attempt to prove he is right.

That's amazing.. the tide seems to have turned, even BTN seems to have a crush on us now. Now if ESPN would just get on board (ha, ha)

We don't need ESPN on board. Let's hope they don't. They are no friends of ours and have proven that over and over again. I'm fine with the clowns mushmoff and Corso picking against us. Had that pick turn out in the Pitt game?
And I really hope they never come to PSU for game day. Eff em all at that network.

Just this morning I heard from a 247 VIP member that he's heard Fields may be visiting for the Nebraska game. I'm not sure if he got that from Sean Fitz but I'll find out his source on Thursday (same physical therapist).
I saw the same guy this morning at physical therapy. He said that Fitz feels that the Fields recruitment is circling around. According to Fitz, as Fields has visited several other schools he's begun to realize and appreciate what it was he liked about PSU in the first place. There's communication but it's very low key because of Levis.

As for the possible Nebraska visit by Fields, the guy told me to disregard it since he doesn't recall the source and doesn't think it was Fitz.

This morning Fitz was asked to prioritize the remaining '18 recruits as he sees it. He said the order is Tyreke, Oweh, Parsons and then all the others (Walker, Raines, Enis and whoever else). TIFWIW.

This is the first time I've replied to myself. Feeling very Bushwoodish.:eek::)

Last edited:
I saw the same guy this morning at physical therapy. He said that Fitz feels that the Fields recruitment is circling around. According to Fitz, as Fields has visited several other schools he's begun to realize and appreciate what it was he liked about PSU in the first place. There's communication but it's very low key because of Levis.

As for the possible Nebraska visit by Fields, the guy me to disregard it since he doesn't recall the source and doesn't think it was Fitz.

This morning Fitz was asked to prioritize the remaining '18 recruits as he sees it. He said the order is Tyreke, Oweh, Parsons and then all the others (Walker, Raines, Enis and whoever else). TIFWIW.

This is the first time I've replied to myself. Feeling very Bushwoodish.:eek::)
quote-you-talking-to-me-you-talking-to-me-then-who-the-hell-else-are-you-talking-to-you-talking-robert-de-niro-56-37-42.jpg

Reactions: artsandletters
I started listening to a Cleveland sports station while at work since I am an Indians/Cavs/Browns fan. They had a guy on the other day from the Buckets and he said that if Ohio State and Penn State played 10 times Penn State would win 7 or 8 of them. He basically said that Ohio State has no chance of winning the game if Barrett is the quarterback. If they changed quarterbacks, then it would be 50/50 or more in Ohio States favor. They where then asked who wins the Big Ten and the guy said without a doubt Penn State. He went onto say that this is the biggest downfall of Urban, that he sticks with a guy in an attempt to prove he is right.
I've heard that Meyer sticks with his players to a fault because of extreme loyalty. He apparently is slow to trust people, but once they prove themselves, he is all in for them.

What a loser that Bucknut radio guy is, basically made it out that his guest is an idiot and talked down to him because he didn't give the answers host wanted to hear. I hope all 3 of those guys obviously though unlikely go to PSU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT