ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Recruiting Thread

Don't look now, but Juice Scruggs has a picture of him on the PSU sidelines as his cover photo on Twitter. Also, last week his HS girlfriend tweeted a poll that he retweeted that was Buckeyes or Nittany Lions and it was 90% Nittany Lions. Obviously the scientific nature of the poll can be debated but we've seen the influence girlfriends can have...cough Rivers cough.

Regarding Lamb, and Fields, is that geography often trumps everything. Not always, but all other things being equal, most people want to be close to home.

Agree totally. I think if PSU was closer Lamb would have been a solid commit by now, Fields looking at schools all around his home turf. Can't get everyone but I love this class JF is lining up.

Reactions: LionJim
Agree totally. I think if PSU was closer Lamb would have been a solid commit by now, Fields looking at schools all around his home turf. Can't get everyone but I love this class JF is lining up.

Isn't fields also looking at southern cal? There was speculation that usc was south carolina, but I thought it was concluded that he was looking at southern cal.

trojans, not cocks?

Don't look now, but Juice Scruggs has a picture of him on the PSU sidelines as his cover photo on Twitter. Also, last week his HS girlfriend tweeted a poll that he retweeted that was Buckeyes or Nittany Lions and it was 90% Nittany Lions. Obviously the scientific nature of the poll can be debated but we've seen the influence girlfriends can have...cough Rivers cough.

4895354.jpg

4_5314695.jpg

Fredrick Scruggs
Erie, PA (Cathedral Prep)

#3 Center (FB)
4-Star

• Ht 6-3
  • Wt 270
  • CLASS OF 18
247Sports Composite
Natl Comp 195
Pos OC 3
St PA 7
======

After his "Outstanding" May visit to PSU.

Haven't seen any indication he'll be at Lasch. Wonder what he's doing?

I'd think that would have to be Culpepper. He's the only one who's up for a mid-week visit - I don't thin any of the other targets are on campus yet.

As for Young, I don't think he'd come up for a campus visit days before he commits (and after he's already filmed his commitment video) if he wasn't going to commit to Penn State. He hasn't been anywhere else in months. I think he tells the staff this weekend that he's on board, but won't publicly commit until he releases his video next week.

I'd think that would have to be Culpepper. He's the only one who's up for a mid-week visit - I don't thin any of the other targets are on campus yet.

As for Young, I don't think he'd come up for a campus visit days before he commits (and after he's already filmed his commitment video) if he wasn't going to commit to Penn State. He hasn't been anywhere else in months. I think he tells the staff this weekend that he's on board, but won't publicly commit until he releases his video next week.
So do you count those two in the over under for the weekend?

So do you count those two in the over under for the weekend?
It's probably more semantic than anything, but probably not. Young has already decided so I don't think the Lasch Bash is playing any role in his decision - IMO he's functionally a commit already. I'm not sure if Culpepper is sticking around for the weekend, but if he pulls the trigger today before the Lasch Bash it'd be hard to really add him to a weekend tally.

In any case, it appears to be shaping up to be a very kind next few days for Penn State, whether or not it's the Lasch Bash that's putting kids over the top.

Reactions: bmw199
It's probably more semantic than anything, but probably not. Young has already decided so I don't think the Lasch Bash is playing any role in his decision - IMO he's functionally a commit already. I'm not sure if Culpepper is sticking around for the weekend, but if he pulls the trigger today before the Lasch Bash it'd be hard to really add him to a weekend tally.

In any case, it appears to be shaping up to be a very kind next few days for Penn State, whether or not it's the Lasch Bash that's putting kids over the top.

Culpepper has a 7v7 tournament this weekend he has to be at.

Reactions: bmw199
true, except for guys in PA and NJ, it seems.
How many PA and NJ kids go to USC and Oregon?

A PA kid going to Florida (for instance) is akin to a southern cal kid going to Oregon or Washington (which happens all the time)

A PA kid going to Florida (for instance) is akin to a southern cal kid going to Oregon or Washington (which happens all the time)
I can think of two in the last two years, Big TE from Philly went to USC, and the Legacy Safety that went to Stanford.

The original comment by Lionlurker was about recruits preferring to stay "close to home," which I took as meaning their home state. Your inference is that LL included even neighboring states. I see your point about distance from home. I perhaps inferred incorrectly from Lionlurker's comment.

Reich to UCLA just a few weeks ago, but I agree with your second sentence (which, in Bushwood's case, could be 200 words long). :)

Will Will Levis be the next Class of 2018 quarterback to receive an offer from Penn State?

The chances seem pretty good now that the 6-foot-4, 222-pound passer from Middletown, Conn., has set up an unofficial visit to see the Nittany Lions according to Sean Fitz of Lions247. His report states that the three-star with 23 offers, with one most recently coming from Florida State, will camp for the PSU coaching staff on Friday night.

If all goes well, an offer is likely to be in the cards.

Enter Levis, who was impressive at The Opening Regional in New Jersey back at the end of the spring, as he ran a 4.80-second 40-yard dash and clocked a 4.10-second shuttle en route to scoring the highest SPARQ score out of all campers at the event, a list that included Penn State Class of 2018 commits Justin Shorter, Zack Kuntz, and Pat Freiermuth along with a number of highly-touted athletes.

According to Hawkeye Nation, Levis is calling Syracuse, Iowa, and Florida State his current top three, though it's not clear how a Penn State offer would change his outlook. National analyst Steve Wiltfong of 247Sports did offer a hint, though, when he predicted Levis will ultimately be offered by, and wind up committing to, Penn State before all is said and done.

More...

Levis earned the distinction as

the most athletic quarterback by Nike SPARQ testing numbers this spring

as the 6-foot-4, 222-pound prospect posted a 123.27 rating, tops among his position and No. 24 overall in the metric.

Those numbers included a 4.80-second 40, a 4.10-second shuttle and a 35.5-inch vertical leap.

Culpepper is the second recruit from Florida in this class. And, we have
two from Texas. Great work by James Franklin. He sees the talent in
Pa is dwindling and adjusted.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT