ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Recruiting Thread

Thanks for all your contributions, Judge Smails.

I liked the Tyreke Smith info; interesting to see the #4 jersey -- I think Franklin may have hit on something (or poss. Tyreke himself chose that number?), but he sees himself as a different type player, not a traditional D-lineman with a jersey number in the 50's or the 90's, more of an overall impact player. Leave it to Franklin to connect with a kid and understand what he's thinking about.

Just a hunch, but I like PSU's chances here.

Micah Parsons blew up Twitter on Friday, giving his new puppy the same name as Ohio State's mascot -- Brutus -- then promptly drove to Penn State for a "great" visit with the Nittany Lions.

The Harrisburg junior defensive end, who committed to Penn State in February 2016, tweeted out several photos of himself wearing Penn State gear.

He said he spoke with the coaches and had dinner.

Despite his commitment to PSU, the 6-foot-3, 235-pounder, who is rated as the fifth-best junior in the country, is still taking visits and looking at other schools.

He said Penn State coach James Franklin told him to enjoy the process.

"We had a great conversation," Parsons said. "We talked about recruiting. He told me to stay focused, and he said, 'Where ever you decide to go is up to you, but I'm going to tell you the opportunity here is going to be great, and you have a chance to be a legend in Pennsylvania.'"

The Penn State stop figures to be the start of what could be a busy month or so for Parsons.

He said he hopes to visit Florida State, Clemson and Georgia before visiting Penn State again and Ohio State.

Parsons created speculation with the naming of his dog with Ohio State fans, hoping it was a sign that he might flip his commitment to that school. Meanwhile, some claiming to be Penn State fans were not happy with the move.

Parsons said the name was coincidental.

"It's crazy," he said. "But, I guess that just comes with being highly recruited. People turn anything and everything into recruiting."

Still, the media-savvy teen took advantage of the opportunity.

"Go follow my dog on Twitter," he said. "His handle is @mpbrutus."

Late Saturday evening, Brutus, whose Twitter describes him as "a happy dog from PA -- Brutus Parsons," had 123 followers.

"I'm just having fun," Parsons said. "I don't take anything anyone says personal. I just laugh, and make what people have to say into a joke. It can make them look crazy, but, to me, this is just a fun process."

Micah Parsons blew up Twitter on Friday, giving his new puppy the same name as Ohio State's mascot -- Brutus -- then promptly drove to Penn State for a "great" visit with the Nittany Lions.

The Harrisburg junior defensive end, who committed to Penn State in February 2016, tweeted out several photos of himself wearing Penn State gear.

He said he spoke with the coaches and had dinner.

Despite his commitment to PSU, the 6-foot-3, 235-pounder, who is rated as the fifth-best junior in the country, is still taking visits and looking at other schools.

He said Penn State coach James Franklin told him to enjoy the process.

"We had a great conversation," Parsons said. "We talked about recruiting. He told me to stay focused, and he said, 'Where ever you decide to go is up to you, but I'm going to tell you the opportunity here is going to be great, and you have a chance to be a legend in Pennsylvania.'"

The Penn State stop figures to be the start of what could be a busy month or so for Parsons.

He said he hopes to visit Florida State, Clemson and Georgia before visiting Penn State again and Ohio State.

Parsons created speculation with the naming of his dog with Ohio State fans, hoping it was a sign that he might flip his commitment to that school. Meanwhile, some claiming to be Penn State fans were not happy with the move.

Parsons said the name was coincidental.

"It's crazy," he said. "But, I guess that just comes with being highly recruited. People turn anything and everything into recruiting."

Still, the media-savvy teen took advantage of the opportunity.

"Go follow my dog on Twitter," he said. "His handle is @mpbrutus."

Late Saturday evening, Brutus, whose Twitter describes him as "a happy dog from PA -- Brutus Parsons," had 123 followers.

"I'm just having fun," Parsons said. "I don't take anything anyone says personal. I just laugh, and make what people have to say into a joke. It can make them look crazy, but, to me, this is just a fun process."
In summary, he really isn't committed, but PSU is his leader.

Last edited:
Reactions: LaJolla Lion
From the Pitt board. They can talk Sanduskey, I'll talk worst P5 athletic department.

Here's how all of Pitt's sports have fared so far this year.

Baseball 0-4-0 (early, but only winless team in the conference), 7-8 overall, NCAA TBD
Men's Basketball 4-14 (tied for next to last), 16-17 overall, no NCAA finish
Women's Basketball 4-11 (tied for 11th), 13-17 overall, no NCAA finish
Men's Cross Country Finished 9th at ACC Championships, no NCAA finish
Women's Cross Country Finished 7th at ACCs, no NCAA finish
Football 5-3 (tied for 2nd, in Division), 8-5 overall, bowl loss, AP ORV #31
Gymnastics 1-4 in dual meets, 5th (out of 6) at EAGL Championships, no NCAA finish
Men's soccer 0-6-2 (only winless team) 2-13-3 overall, no NCAA finish
Women's soccer 1-9-0 (dead last) 2-15-1 overall, no NCAA finish
Softball 0-5-0 (early, but only winless team), 14-10 overall, NCAA TBD
Men's swimming & diving Finished 10th (out of 12) at ACCs, 1-5 in conference, 5-6 overall, NCAA TBD
Women's swimming & diving Finished 6th (out of 11) at ACCs, 2-4 in conf, 9-6 overall, NCAA finish 41st
Tennis 0-4 (currently .5 out of last place), 3-5 overall, NCAA TBD
Men's indoor track & field Finished 12th (out of 14) at ACCs, no NCAA finish
Women's indoor track & field Finished 12th (out of 15) at ACCs, no NCAA finish
Men's outdoor track & field ACC & NCAA TBD
Women's outdoor track & field ACC & NCAA TBD
Volleyball 15-5 (tied for 4th), 25-9 overall, NCAA 2nd Rnd (tied 32nd)
Wrestling 2-3 (tied for 3rd with 3 other team), 11-5 overall, NCAA finish 32nd (currently)

There is some hope in some of these sports, but that is pretty sobering. That is one of the worst athletic department performances this year in all of major college sports.

Reactions: The_Unit
From the Pitt board. They can talk Sanduskey, I'll talk worst P5 athletic department.

Baseball 0-4-0 (early, but only winless team in the conference), 7-8 overall, NCAA TBD
Gymnastics 1-4 in dual meets, 5th (out of 6) at EAGL Championships, no NCAA finish
Men's swimming & diving Finished 10th (out of 12) at ACCs, 1-5 in conference, 5-6 overall, NCAA TBD
Women's swimming & diving Finished 6th (out of 11) at ACCs, 2-4 in conf, 9-6 overall, NCAA finish 41st
Wrestling 2-3 (tied for 3rd with 3 other team), 11-5 overall, NCAA finish 32nd (currently)

There is some hope in some of these sports, but that is pretty sobering. That is one of the worst athletic department performances this year in all of major college sports.
Jesus, they're even more sh1t then I cared to know. Lololol. Just shut it down.

Reactions: Judge Smails
How's this for a D line class: Parsons, Smith, Hawkins, Hardy, Earlington, and Friday

Offers from PSU, Alabama, Clemson, OSU, Michigan, Flrida State, Pitt, Notre Dame, etc.

"Penn State, I feel like they're the big picture. They have everything going. Their coaching staff is phenomenal, and I knew that coming in the door. But I really felt that on my visit there. I know the recruiting class coming in, guys like Micah Parsons, guys like Justin Fields- all those cats are really welcoming. They've wanted me to join the family for a little while now, so those are good relationships."

Last edited:
In other recruiting news from the weekend, Cincinnati, Ohio three-star defensive tackle Aeneas Hawkinsannounced that he would unofficially visit campus this Thursday and Friday as Penn State kicks off spring practice this coming week. Hawkins, who checks in at 6-foot-3, 265 pounds, last visited for the Lions win over Iowa back in November.

Hawkins will decide on May 10, and as of Sunday, the 247Sports' Crystal Ball is unanimous in thinking he will pick Ohio State, but the Lions now have a chance to sway things when they host him

WOW, so football really is all thay have.

Interview with TE commit Pat Friermuth

Interview with Safety commit Isaiah Humphries

Interview with QB commit Justin Fields. Disappointed, but not surprised, that Justin said he'll probably take all 5 official visits.

Last edited:
Interview with TE commit Pat Friermuth

Interview with Safety commit Isaiah Humphries

Interview with QB commit Justin Fields. Disappointed, but not surprised, that Justin said he'll probably take all 5 official visits.

On 12/23/16 I wrote in the 2017 thread that "I think this kid is going to follow his heart (i.e. girlfriend) and go to VT. We'll see." - I was obviously referring to Dylan Rivers. The red flags were there, but most of the recruiting experts on this board ignored them and assured me he was solid to PSU.

On 1/7/17 I made a casual comment that I would be surprised if JF stuck with PSU. I was pounced on by some of the experts who strongly disagreed with my opinion as he was solid, a leader of the class, etc. Once again, I will say (imo) there are some red flags with some of his recent comments (one bright one in particular) and I will stand by my January comment. Good luck to the kid, whatever he decides. I hope it is PSU, but I won't lose any sleep or be shocked if he isn't part of the 2018 class.

"It doesn't really have anything to do with Ohio State but at the same time, I do like Ohio State as a program," he said. "I just liked the name for my dog.

Maybe MP named his puppy Brutus, because he likes to beat his dog?

JK, please don't spin this into an accusation of animal abuse.

On 12/23/16 I wrote in the 2017 thread that "I think this kid is going to follow his heart (i.e. girlfriend) and go to VT. We'll see." - I was obviously referring to Dylan Rivers. The red flags were there, but most of the recruiting experts on this board ignored them and assured me he was solid to PSU.

On 1/7/17 I made a casual comment that I would be surprised if JF stuck with PSU. I was pounced on by some of the experts who strongly disagreed with my opinion as he was solid, a leader of the class, etc. Once again, I will say (imo) there are some red flags with some of his recent comments (one bright one in particular) and I will stand by my January comment. Good luck to the kid, whatever he decides. I hope it is PSU, but I won't lose any sleep or be shocked if he isn't part of the 2018 class.

Yes, a kid who says he is going to take his official visits indicates there is a chance he might not be a part of this class. Thanks for the heads up. None of us here had thought of that possibility before.

1677_h.jpg

Yes, a kid who says he is going to take his official visits indicates there is a chance he might not be a part of this class. Thanks for the heads up. None of us here had thought of that possibility before.
That's not it ... too obvious. Look, I hope he sticks with PSU but if I had to bet, I would bet against it. We'll see. Too much football in front of us to worry about Feb. 2018 signings.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT