ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Recruiting Thread

Crystal Balls for Penn State today for TX CB Trent Gordon from Fitz and Barton Simmons. Offers from PSU, Florida, LSU, Michigan, UNC, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas A&M, UCLA, etc.
How they fit all the pieces they want and those that want to come to Penn State into this class will be the biggest story line of this class. I would think this would be the loan corner spot if they get Young and Raines in addition to Humphries.

Reactions: TheGLOV
How they fit all the pieces they want and those that want to come to Penn State into this class will be the biggest story line of this class. I would think this would be the loan corner spot if they get Young and Raines in addition to Humphries.

I don't know, man. Apparently they are going to take 25. Big class. I think they have guidelines for what they are looking for at each position, but won't turn away the super blue chip types.

Most of the CBs playing are upper class guys. They'll all be cleared out in 2 years. Haley, Oruwariye, Reid, Campbell. No proven depth after them, though there is certainly talent.

Reactions: HummelstownLion
I don't know, man. Apparently they are going to take 25. Big class. I think they have guidelines for what they are looking for at each position, but won't turn away the super blue chip types.

Most of the CBs playing are upper class guys. They'll all be cleared out in 2 years. Haley, Oruwariye, Reid, Campbell. No proven depth after them, though there is certainly talent.
Yep. Approaching the point, if not there already, where there are no immediate positional needs, just look for a good balance of talent.

Well, my thought is that it would result in 4 DBs in this class and with 4 CBs last year (or guys primarily looked at as CBs) this one being safety heavy would be expected. With Humphries and Young both having positional flexibility as well. I would concede that all of the players committed this year and last have no experience and thus it certainly doesn't hurt to continue to diversify the risk among more recruits. I wouldn't think they would do that though at the potential cost of not bringing a offensive line class that could include Asiedu, Walker, Jones, and Scruggs or a WR class of Shorter, George, Anderson-Butts(assuming everything else is good), and Enis, or even the defensive line class I mentioned over the weekend.

Of course these are the problems of someone who makes $4 mill a year, not me. So, maybe they have caps at positions and even though a lot of these guys are very good, in their eyes they are equally good and its first come first serve. Great problem to have.

Well, my thought is that it would result in 4 DBs in this class and with 4 CBs last year (or guys primarily looked at as CBs) this one being safety heavy would be expected. With Humphries and Young both having positional flexibility as well. I would concede that all of the players committed this year and last have no experience and thus it certainly doesn't hurt to continue to diversify the risk among more recruits. I wouldn't think they would do that though at the potential cost of not bringing a offensive line class that could include Asiedu, Walker, Jones, and Scruggs or a WR class of Shorter, George, Anderson-Butts(assuming everything else is good), and Enis, or even the defensive line class I mentioned over the weekend.

Of course these are the problems of someone who makes $4 mill a year, not me. So, maybe they have caps at positions and even though a lot of these guys are very good, in their eyes they are equally good and its first come first serve. Great problem to have.

I will be surprised if we see more than 3 WR's in this class. And I'd bet my paycheck, if I wasn't retired, that there will be 4 or more Olinemen in the class.

If it's a class of 25, that's a whole starting team plus a couple. And CJF won't likely take any scholarship punters or kickers having young players at both positions, so that leaves a couple of additional players where CJF and his staff believe there is abundant talent that he is involved with and where they may have some questions about the talent on the current roster. But there was quite a hall in the 2017 class at CB, with Wade, Castro-Fields, Johnson and Brown. Humphries being a swing player (CB/S), I see at least 2 true Safety's in the class and 1 or 2 other DB's. Both may be corners, but a player like Gordon looks to have the frame to play anywhere in the secondary. The picture I saw of him with the coaches made him look pretty tall.

How about a guess of:
QB - 1
RB - 1
OL - 4
WR - 3
TE - 2
DL - 5
LB - 4
DB - 5

That's my guess. CJF seems to be in with a load of DL talent and DB talent. To me a possible surprise would be a 2nd RB in the class. But not much of a surprise.....

Crystal Balls for Penn State today for TX CB Trent Gordon from Fitz and Barton Simmons. Offers from PSU, Florida, LSU, Michigan, UNC, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas A&M, UCLA, etc.
Wow. That's a pretty quick trigger for the normally conservative Fitz. Looking good. Either VBR or RLR wrote that they thought if given a choice of one CB this class, Frank would choose Gordon.

I will be surprised if we see more than 3 WR's in this class. And I'd bet my paycheck, if I wasn't retired, that there will be 4 or more Olinemen in the class.

If it's a class of 25, that's a whole starting team plus a couple. And CJF won't likely take any scholarship punters or kickers having young players at both positions, so that leaves a couple of additional players where CJF and his staff believe there is abundant talent that he is involved with and where they may have some questions about the talent on the current roster. But there was quite a hall in the 2017 class at CB, with Wade, Castro-Fields, Johnson and Brown. Humphries being a swing player (CB/S), I see at least 2 true Safety's in the class and 1 or 2 other DB's. Both may be corners, but a player like Gordon looks to have the frame to play anywhere in the secondary. The picture I saw of him with the coaches made him look pretty tall.

How about a guess of:
QB - 1
RB - 1
OL - 4
WR - 3
TE - 2
DL - 5
LB - 4
DB - 5

That's my guess. CJF seems to be in with a load of DL talent and DB talent. To me a possible surprise would be a 2nd RB in the class. But not much of a surprise.....

You got a black & gold walker Gramps?

Retired = Nice!

Congrats to you sir.

:):):):):)

Big time offer list from Texas and a kid that really has no ties to PSU. Then you also have kids like Lamb from Cali (with ties to the school) looking heavily at PSU. Win and your recruiting footprint becomes much bigger. Good stuff for sure right now and the next 4-5 weeks should be pretty interesting. Spring ball and the BW game...then a break until the Lasch Bash which tends to land a couple of kids.

Big time offer list from Texas and a kid that really has no ties to PSU. Then you also have kids like Lamb from Cali (with ties to the school) looking heavily at PSU. Win and your recruiting footprint becomes much bigger. Good stuff for sure right now and the next 4-5 weeks should be pretty interesting. Spring ball and the BW game...then a break until the Lasch Bash which tends to land a couple of kids.

The kid with no ties to PSU who lives in Texas represents more evidence of a paradigm shift in PSU perception and recruiting nationally.

Weird, he is not ranked by the scouting services and only has a few low D1 offers. Maybe he is about to blow up?

Received an invite last month to this Summer's Nike Opening. Strong interest from Northwestern, U Illinois, Nwestern, MSU, Duke, UNC, Minnesota, and even LSU. Looks like the interest in him is heating up.

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
Wow. Fields might end up as the highest-ranked QB we've had in the recruiting rankings era. I'm more excited about him than I have been about recruit in a long, long time.

Reactions: TheGLOV and LionJim
Upcoming Visits
While the Blue-White Game will be the big recruiting event of the spring, Penn State will take advantage of the practices leading up to the game to host a number of prospects on visits. Let’s take a look at a couple recruits who are scheduled to be on hand in the coming weeks:

• 2018 DT Aeneas Hawkins (March 24): The Ohio defensive tackle plans to commit on May 10, and with his recruitment probably coming down to Ohio State or Penn State, this will be a big weekend for the Nittany Lions.
  • 2018 CB Houston Griffith (March 24): The son of BTN’s Howard Griffith, IMG Academy cornerback Houston Griffith will be in Happy Valley this weekend. Obviously due to his father’s connections, his recruitment should have a Big Ten flavor to it, with Ohio State being the presumed leader.
  • 2018 LB Jack Lamb (First week of April): A name that just recently popped up on the recruiting scene, Lamb hails from California but has major interest in the Nittany Lions, as both of his parents are Penn State graduates. He’ll be visiting Happy Valley over his spring break, and should pickup an offer while on campus. At 6-foot-4, 211 pounds, he’s an impressive looking prospect.
  • 2019 RB Jordan Houston (March 24): Already holding an offer from the Nittany Lions, the Virginia running back will be back at Penn State for the third time dating back to the fall. Big Penn State lean, but it’s doubtful he wraps up his recruitment this early.
  • 2019 OL Caeden Wallace (March 24): Another 2019 prospect already with an offer in hand, Wallace is scheduled to make a quick return trip to Happy Valley this weekend.
http://www.blackshoediaries.com/201...lley-jack-lamb-penn-state-football-recruiting

More prospects will get that opportunity this weekend, as the program continues on a spring practice journey that will end with the Blue-White game on April 22 at 3 p.m.

Here's a working list as of Friday morning:

Class of 2017 signees

CB D.J. Brown - Fairburn, Ga., Creekside

LB Brailyn Franklin - Haymarket, Va.

Class of 2018

LB Jesse Luketa - Erie, Pa., Mercyhurst Prep - commit

OT Chris Bleich - Plymouth, Pa., - commit

OT Blake Zubovic - Belle Vernon, Pa.

CB Kwantel Raines - Aliquippa, Pa.

LB Tariq Jones - Aliquippa, Pa.

CB Houston Griffith - Bradenton, Fla. (Per ESPN)

Class of 2019

TE/DE Hayden Rucci - Warwick, Pa.

OL William Putnam - Chatham, Ill.

OL Caeden Wallace - Princeton, N.J.

DE Brandon Smith - Mineral, Va.

Upcoming Visits
While the Blue-White Game will be the big recruiting event of the spring, Penn State will take advantage of the practices leading up to the game to host a number of prospects on visits. Let’s take a look at a couple recruits who are scheduled to be on hand in the coming weeks:

• 2018 DT Aeneas Hawkins (March 24): The Ohio defensive tackle plans to commit on May 10, and with his recruitment probably coming down to Ohio State or Penn State, this will be a big weekend for the Nittany Lions.
  • 2018 CB Houston Griffith (March 24): The son of BTN’s Howard Griffith, IMG Academy cornerback Houston Griffith will be in Happy Valley this weekend. Obviously due to his father’s connections, his recruitment should have a Big Ten flavor to it, with Ohio State being the presumed leader.
  • 2018 LB Jack Lamb (First week of April): A name that just recently popped up on the recruiting scene, Lamb hails from California but has major interest in the Nittany Lions, as both of his parents are Penn State graduates. He’ll be visiting Happy Valley over his spring break, and should pickup an offer while on campus. At 6-foot-4, 211 pounds, he’s an impressive looking prospect.
  • 2019 RB Jordan Houston (March 24): Already holding an offer from the Nittany Lions, the Virginia running back will be back at Penn State for the third time dating back to the fall. Big Penn State lean, but it’s doubtful he wraps up his recruitment this early.
  • 2019 OL Caeden Wallace (March 24): Another 2019 prospect already with an offer in hand, Wallace is scheduled to make a quick return trip to Happy Valley this weekend.
http://www.blackshoediaries.com/201...lley-jack-lamb-penn-state-football-recruiting

CB Houston Griffith's father was a Fullback legend at Illinois. So perhaps he is open to Big Ten options beyond tOSU.

Howard Griffith (born November 17, 1967) is a retired American football fullback who spent 11 seasons in the NFL (1991–2001). While at the University of Illinois, Howard set the NCAA record for touchdowns in a game with eight. It occurred on September 8, 1990, against Southern Illinois University in a 56–7 Illinois win.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT