ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Recruiting Thread

Bet Cappy voluntarily un-retires the number for Oweh without being asked. He generously allowed Lynch to keep it for his career albeit cut short by Saquon. I'd bet he would present it to him personally on signing day. He is a class act who would Penn State first. Just my opinion.

I'm betting that will never happen.

I thought this thread was recruiting

Now it’s high school requirements to graduate early and if a player should be allowed to wear #22 or not

Reactions: pkg5002
I've read every page of this thread, but thanks for the moronic and ironic mini lecture on presumptuousness.

He is the one tweeting about it, thereby indicating that it is on his mind. He can like or dislike that the number isn't available. If it is that important to him, he can wear it elsewhere. I find the notion that a number be unretired to capitulate to a single recruit stupid, disrespectful, and unnessarily desperate. Pitt has to do stuff like that. We don't. In case you hadn't noticed in your extensive studies of this thread, we've got a line at the door.
The more you write the stupider you sound. Since when are you the compass by which the PSU staff or Jayson Oweh take their directions. There’s no/zero decisions being made in regard to PSU football or Jayson Oweh that requires your input nor has your advice been requested.

There was nothing moronic or ironic (especially) in my post. Stop taking yourself so seriously. You sound like a jackass.

I find the fact that we have one number retired to be stupid, disrespectful, and to have been an unnecessarily desperate move made at a time when the leaders of the school were scrambling to give an appearance of being something less than the unscrupulous, bumbling fools they were.
As do I, but would unretiring it to give it to a recruit make you feel better or is that equally dumb?

The more you write the stupider you sound. Since when are you the compass by which the PSU staff or Jayson Oweh take their directions. There’s no/zero decisions being made in regard to PSU football or Jayson Oweh that requires your input nor has your advice been requested.

There was nothing moronic or ironic (especially) in my post. Stop taking yourself so seriously. You sound like a jackass.
Weak, but good try.

What if an upperclassman on the team who has earned it wants it? Why should a 17 year old kid who hasn't even signed on the dotted line get it? If you don't understand why that is detrimental to the team dynamic, I'm guessing it's because you weren't a part of a lot of sports teams. I'm dumbfounded that this actually needs to be explained.

Also, are we now to individually negotiate with each 17 year-old recruit? How do you manage that?

Weak, but good try.

What if an upperclassman on the team who has earned it wants it? Why should a 17 year old kid who hasn't even signed on the dotted line get it? If you don't understand why that is detrimental to the team dynamic, I'm guessing it's because you weren't a part of a lot of sports teams. I'm dumbfounded that this actually needs to be explained.

Also, are we now to individually negotiate with each 17 year-old recruit? How do you manage that?

Why don’t you two get a room.

When "adults" name call on message boards, because they just can't ignore what they don't agree with and believe they must win an irrelevant argument, they are usually describing themselves.....

As do I, but would unretiring it to give it to a recruit make you feel better or is that equally dumb?

It’s a slippery slope that is created by in retiring a number in the first place. Retiring the number to begin with was an attention grab. Unretiring is no more dumb than retiring it to begin with. In my opinion, of course.
Happy Thanksgiving everybody.

Last edited:
Reactions: mn78psu83
Weak, but good try.

Oweh doesn’t care. Give it up. Drop the bone, Fido. Jaysus, talk about a mountain out of a mole hill. SMH.

When "adults" name call on message boards, because they just can't ignore what they don't agree with and believe they must win an irrelevant argument, they are usually describing themselves.....
You’re back. How’s your pal Gunsie doing? ^^^^^^^Personal experience?

Stupid is stupid. In this case, hereforthebeer’s post was stupid and then he made it worse. As for ignoring someone, good idea. I’m giving you #64. You’ve committed to my ignore list.

The solution to retiring jersey numbers seems quite simple to me. Cappelletti can continue to be honored in PSU lore by inscribing his name on a jersey and underneath the name would be number 22. Oweh and other PSU football players could wear number 22 without the Cappelletti name on it.

Any athlete who determines what university to attend based upon the availability of a particular jersey number is not going to thrive at a Top 25 level.
Nobody will ever convince me Mr. Oweh falls into this category. Adults who attempt to find deep meaning in a teenager's tweet need to get a life.

Any athlete who determines what university to attend based upon the availability of a particular jersey number is not going to thrive at a Top 25 level.
Nobody will ever convince me Mr. Oweh falls into this category. Adults who attempt to find deep meaning in a teenager's tweet need to get a life.
Amen. The two minutes I spent reading this stupity was far too long. For all these keystrokes, one would think it was a premature Parsons tweet about benching a QB who lit us up a month ago. I expect this kid isn’t as dumb as some of our fans.

Jayson, of course you can wear #22 if you play for Penn State. And we’d love it. Just not on the outside of your uniform during a game. We hope you’re on board.
Done.

Tell that to hereforthebeer. I tried and failed. So silly for him to even consider such a thing let alone get all huffy about it. Strange dude.

Me - Mirror mirror on the wall, who is the biggest jacka$$ of them all?

Mirror - By far and away it is artsandetters.

Thanks mirror.

On this day of Thanks, I am grateful to everyone who contributes value to the subject of Penn State football recruiting. And, for the handful of people clogging up this thread with their bickering, I'm trying the "ignore" tool for the first time ever. Will be a one-week experiment. Happy Thanksgiving, all!

Agreed. Cappy won his Heisman more 25 years before the young man was born. I'll forgive him if he doesn't know much about him or just found out that the #22 is retired at PSU. It certainly doesn't help that he was given that number for his recruiting visit picture. Nothing in his tweet is saying that he is demanding the number as a condition of his signing.

You’re back. How’s your pal Gunsie doing? ^^^^^^^Personal experience?

Stupid is stupid. In this case, hereforthebeer’s post was stupid and then he made it worse. As for ignoring someone, good idea. I’m giving you #64. You’ve committed to my ignore list.

Yep, great idea. With your pattern of condescending and attacking posts you may be the most ignored poster on this board!

Congrats!!

I’d really be stoked if we finished with Smith, Parsons, and Oweh. That would seem to be a new all time haul for high end recruits at the end (within the last month) of a recruiting period. The next biggest I can recall is Justin King and Derick Williams back in 2004. Throw Enis, Walker, or another stud in the mix and we end up closing in a very strong way.

Is this the same Nittany Nation that tried to preempt Walker's commit before he backed off? If so, whoever feeds that twit info needs to stop. It's not helping. One of the biggest events for these kids is committing to a school and it needs to be on their terms.

Is this the same Nittany Nation that tried to preempt Walker's commit before he backed off? If so, whoever feeds that twit info needs to stop. It's not helping. One of the biggest events for these kids is committing to a school and it needs to be on their terms.

Thats one and the same. A month or so ago he also tweeted that Parsons had decided on PSU.

Yep, great idea. With your pattern of condescending and attacking posts you may be the most ignored poster on this board!

Congrats!!
"When "adults" name call on message boards, because they just can't ignore what they don't agree with and believe they must win an irrelevant argument, they are usually describing themselves." - CappytoCJF

It's all about point of view.

No more.

"When "adults" name call on message boards, because they just can't ignore what they don't agree with and believe they must win an irrelevant argument, they are usually describing themselves." - CappytoCJF

It's all about point of view.

No more.
Does this mean that you are done posting here? If so, yay!!!

Reactions: iknojksht
recruiting - openings left for 2018

Phil says we have 4-5 open slots for 2018 class. it looks like we could get

DEs - Smith, Oweh and Parsons

WR - Enis

OT - Walker

that would certainly be a top 3 class with those dudes. do you see getting these 5 as a good chance for us. i am not sure what makes the 4 or 5 openings.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Phil says we have 4-5 open slots for 2018 class. it looks like we could get

DEs - Smith, Oweh and Parsons

WR - Enis

OT - Walker

that would certainly be a top 3 class with those dudes. do you see getting these 5 as a good chance for us. i am not sure what makes the 4 or 5 openings.
As I recall verbals, were at 23 with Hardy. Hardy’s gone and it’s been rumored that SAB has to prep or JUCO. That brings the verbals down to 21, allowing for 4 more commits. I don’t know how they’d manage a 5th. This assumes that they can fit 25.

As I recall verbals, were at 23 with Hardy. Hardy’s gone and it’s been rumored that SAB has to prep or JUCO. That brings the verbals down to 21, allowing for 4 more commits. I don’t know how they’d manage a 5th. This assumes that they can fit 25.

I will stretch my imagination here....... one or two of the guys on scholarship does not come back for whatever reason they decide not to come back.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
I will stretch my imagination here....... one or two of the guys on scholarship does not come back for whatever reason they decide not to come back.
Yeah. Mark Allen might be one. Isn’t this his fourth year? Also Johnathan Thomas, another RB in his fourth year.

Ahead of those two at RB next year will be: Andre, Miles, Journey and Ricky Slade.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT