ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Recruiting Thread

I will stretch my imagination here....... one or two of the guys on scholarship does not come back for whatever reason they decide not to come back.

The road to get to 85 next fall is one issue, and won't be done until after this season, possibly ongoing through the Spring and into next summer. With the 22 CJF has committed as of now there will have to be openings made with attrition, as there are somewhere around 16-17 Seniors that are out of eligibility. Just a matter of how many. But 85 is not the near term issue as CJF closes out the class.

How to take more than 25 commits seems more near term. 25 in a class is a hard limit. With 22 commits, taking 5 more would require 2 recruits to either count against 2017 (we know there are at least a couple early enrollees - Kuntz, Tarburton??, ???), grayshirt (go on scholarship in January 2018), or go to a JC due to eligibility issues (possibly Anderson-Butts). Has CJF ever grayshirted recruits?

Last edited:
The road to get to 85 next fall is one issue, and won't be done until after this season, possibly ongoing through the Spring and into next summer. With the 22 CJF has committed as of now there will have to be openings made with attrition, as there are somewhere around 16-17 Seniors that are out of eligibility.

But with 22 commits, taking 5 more would require 2 recruits to either count against 2017 (we know there are at least a couple early enrollees - Kuntz, Tarburton??, ???), grayshirt (go on scholarship in January 2018), or go to a JC due to eligibility issues (possibly Anderson-Butts). Has CJF ever grayshirted recruits?

That's a good question, I do not know the answer. I cannot imagine why he would not though, can you?

Yeah. Mark Allen might be one. Isn’t this his fourth year? Also Johnathan Thomas, another RB in his fourth year.

Ahead of those two at RB next year will be: Andre, Miles, Journey and Ricky Slade.
I've been wondering about Andre Robinson lately also. Just seems to have become an afterthought but he's incredibly talented. Wonder if Miles and Journey are just looking too good to have Andre keep a spot in the rotation next year? Then with Slade coming in probably making a statement that he'll need to see some carries, ???

Reactions: artsandletters
I've been wondering about Andre Robinson lately also. Just seems to have become an afterthought but he's incredibly talented. Wonder if Miles and Journey are just looking too good to have Andre keep a spot in the rotation next year? Then with Slade coming in probably making a statement that he'll need to see some carries, ???

Perhaps he'll move on like Akeel Lynch?

Two different issues. There can only be 85 on ship and that means some of current roster must leave if there 25 recruits.

Second issue is there will be 25 and only 25 recruits. So there is only room for three more unless there is a non qualifier (SAB)??? Or a current commit goes else where.

Since there will be 25 recruits, speculation about someone on the current roster leaving does not open another slot. Is there anyone who would suspect that JF doesn't already know who is leaving to allow him to get to 25 recruits and ultimately 85 ships. Any unexpected departures will only impact those that are already identified as leaving. It may mean there is an unexpected retention ( if that is even a concept).

Well, if Allen, Thomas and Barkley (for a different reason) leave, that leaves four scholarship RBs including Slade. That’s not too many, maybe even one short. I think Andre will get lots of touches next year though I’m certain that’s something Franklin will discuss with him. Three RBs is not enough.

As far as Allen and Thomas possibly leaving/graduating, I was just speculating.

Sanders, Robinson, J. Brown and Slade sounds good. How many scholarship RBs is it normal to carry? I don’t know.

I am willing to admit, I don't want to look this up.
Could someone please explain why Penn State is not able to take more than 25, but other schools are? Pretty sure I have read that other schools have taken 27, 28 and possibly 30 in a year.

TIA

OL

Could someone please explain why Penn State is not able to take more than 25, but other schools are? Pretty sure I have read that other schools have taken 27, 28 and possibly 30 in a year.

TIA

OL

They also can only have 85 on scholarship. That, I believe, is the issues here.

TIA

OL

Rule change this year making 25 a hard cap. Not sure I have seen anything definitive that an EE may not be counted toward a prior class (if there was room in that class), but I have seen comments that 25 is 25 for th

TIA

OL

There is a difference between signed LOIs on Letter of Intent Day and the number that can sign actual scholarship paperwork, usually right before pre-season practice.

Conferences can vary the number of LOIs that get signed on LOI Day. Depending upon their rules, a school might get LOIs from 25 or more recruits.

But, the real number that counts is 25. That is the firm maximum number of actual financial scholarships that can be signed in any class.

So, if the conference allows getting LOIs from say 28 players on LOI Day, 3 players will not be getting scholarship money in the class, when it's all said and done. For example, they might go to a junior college due to their entrance requirements, or they might Gray Shirt into the following year's class.

However it works out, barring some uncommon exception, every school ultimately has a 25 player limit, for scholarships per year. The number is settled when recruits sign their scholarship papers.

As mentioned, unless there is a more rare exception, the total team scholarships limit is also 85, when financial papers are signed before pre-season camp.

Last edited:
There is a difference between signed LOIs on Letter of Intent Day and the number that can sign actual scholarship paperwork, usually right before pre-season practice.

Conferences can vary the number of LOIs that get signed on LOI Day. Depending upon their rules, a school might get LOIs from 25 or more recruits.

But, the real number that counts is 25. That is the firm maximum number of actual financial scholarships that can be signed in any class.

So, if the conference allows getting LOIs from say 28 players on LOI Day, 3 players will not be getting scholarship money in the class, when it's all said and done. For example, they might go to a junior college due to their entrance requirements, or they might Gray Shirt into the following year's class.

However it works out, barring some uncommon exception, every school ultimately has a 25 player limit, for scholarships per year. The number is settled when recruits sign their scholarship papers.

Or, unless the rule was recently changed, a 2018 class recruit that enrolls early can be counted against the 2017 class, since the 2017 class had 22 (i.e. not the full 25 - and we don't know if some of the 22 were counted against 2016, and so on.....)

Reactions: PSU-PITT/NY and T J
recruiting - openings left for 2018

Phil says we have 4-5 open slots for 2018 class. it looks like we could get

DEs - Smith, Oweh and Parsons

WR - Enis

OT - Walker

that would certainly be a top 3 class with those dudes. do you see getting these 5 as a good chance for us. i am not sure what makes the 4 or 5 openings.
As I posted earlier this week, this would be the best possible scenario to wrap up this recruiting class.

Reactions: T J
Or, unless the rule was recently changed, a 2018 class recruit that enrolls early can be counted against the 2017 class, since the 2017 class had 22 (i.e. not the full 25 - and we don't know if some of the 22 were counted against 2016, and so on.....)
My understanding is that when you back-count an EE, you count against the 85 limit from the previous year rather than the 25. So if you only signed 20, but you had 85 on scholarship thw prior year, you still don't have any room to back-count EE's. I could be wrong.. It would be great to hear from somebody that actually knows what they're talking about on this stuff (lol)

My understanding is that when you back-count an EE, you count against the 85 limit from the previous year rather than the 25. So if you only signed 20, but you had 85 on scholarship thw prior year, you still don't have any room to back-count EE's. I could be wrong.. It would be great to hear from somebody that actually knows what they're talking about on this stuff (lol)
You can count an EE towards either the priors years class OR this years class.

Reactions: PSU-PITT/NY

Just to clarify, the look re initial counters is neither retrospective or point-in-time. It covers the entire academic year. So, for example, say School A enrolled 22 initial counters at the beginning of the 2017-18 academic year which brought it to the full complement of 85. It's three short of the initial counter limit of 25, but can't use them because it's at the 85 limit.

Now we come to mid-year 2017-18, some time in January 2018. School A has three potential early enrollees. Can it enroll them and how do they count? If all 85 who were on athletic scholarship at the beginning of the academic remain on athletic scholarship, it can't, period. So three have to come off one way or another. If that happens, how are the three early enrollees counted against the initial limit? They can certainly count against the 2018-19 limit. They can also count against the 2017-18 limit because School A only has 22 for that academic year.

Reactions: masterbaker65
Any interest between Wilson and Penn State?

Looks like it's ND, or possibly NCST.

Notre Dame target Payton Wilson de-commits from North Carolina
A top target for the Notre Dame Fighting Irish just de-committed from North Carolina and opened up his recruitment.

6_7854692.JPG

(Photo: 247Sports)
Hillsborough (N.C.) Orange four-star linebacker Payton Wilson, who had been committed to the in-state Tar Heels since May 1, announced on Twitter that he is no longer committed and start the process over.

----

Wilson was in South Bend visiting Notre Dame this past weekend and was at North Carolina State earlier this month. Those are considered the top suitors for Wilson, the nation's No. 68 overall player according to the 247Sports Composite rankings. Others in play include Clemson and Ohio State.

Arguably the top linebacker recruit in the country, Wilson totaled 103 tackles, 21 tackles for loss, and 10 sacks before suffering a season-ending injury in October.

https://247sports.com/college/notre...lson-de-commits-from-North-Carolina-110905815

A lot will probably open this and complain that it is too early for a 2018 recruiting thread, but I could care less.

2018 committments:
Micah Parsons - Defensive End - 5star recruit
Chris Bliech - Offensive Tackle - Plymouth, PA but attending IMG Academy in Florida (huge for recruiting help)

Other 2018 Penn State targets that already have a Penn State offer and PSU is currently probably in their top 3.
Depending on what happens in 2017 on the field, this 2018 could be the best class Penn State has brought in.

Matthew Bauer - 4star LB from Erie, PA - Crystal Ball 100% PSU
Phil Jurkovec - 5star QB from Gibsonia, PA - Will be making another visit to HV this weekend for BlueWhite
Ricky Slade - 5star RB from Woodbridge, VA - 2 visits to Penn State in last 2 months, more than any other school he visited
Jahan Dotson - 4star WR from Nazareth, PA - One of 3 BIG time WR targets in PA
Darryle Simmons - 4star WR from Philaelphia, PA - One of 3 BIG time WR targets in PA
Shaquon Anderson-Butts - 4star WR from Harrisburg, PA - One of 3 BIG time WR targets in PA (Believe he would be the closest to committing of the 3)
Zack Kuntz - 5star TE from Camp Hill, PA - Both older brothers (Christian and Brandon) played at PSU
Ademilola Twins - Both 4stars from Jersey City, NJ - Jayson is a DT, Justin is a LB - Both visited last weekend
Isheem Young - 4star S from Philaelphia, PA - Believe this one will come down to PSU or FSU
Kwantel Raines - 4star S from Aliquippa, PA - Still hasn't received many offers, but being a PA guy, we have a shot
Isaiah Humphries - 4star S from Sachse, TX - Dad played at Penn State and then the NFL

Just went back to the beginning of this thread for a review. 5/11 isn't too bad for looking forward but 0/2 on the commits although it might be 1/2.

Reactions: MilesBarkley
Pay article on 247: Oweh on Michigan "I honestly can see myself playing here". You think that they are a real player in this?

Pay article on 247: Oweh on Michigan "I honestly can see myself playing here". You think that they are a real player in this?

Anybody who he has visited last, is a real player in this.

Honestly, this kid changes his opinions when the wind blows. Let's just focus on the other guys and let him go.
I would think that someone coming in late, unless it’s Alabama, would not have a real shot. Then again, this kid does seem to fall in love easily...

ADVERTISEMENT