ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Recruiting Thread

Cram down the minimum requirements as soon as possible.
Leave school as soon as possible, and start practicing football.
Pin your hopes on the fame and riches of the NFL.

Culture Problem much?

James Franklin said it well after the game on Saturday:

“I find it funny when people criticize a football player for leaving school early to go to the NFL and he’s a guaranteed first-round draft choice. That is life-changing money. I can tell you now if IBM came to our computer engineering department and offered a computer engineering major a $12 million contract as a junior, they’d be gone. So don’t criticize my guys when they make the same decision,” Franklin said.

“I find it funny when people criticize a football player for leaving school early to go to the NFL and he’s a guaranteed first-round draft choice. That is life-changing money. I can tell you now if IBM came to our computer engineering department and offered a computer engineering major a $12 million contract as a junior, they’d be gone. So don’t criticize my guys when they make the same decision,” Franklin said.
^THIS!^

Don't forget some schools do block scheduling. With that it would be easy for a Senior to have all core courses done early enough. If the school doesn't do block scheduling it would be more difficult.

True. The rub always is English. 4x4 block scheduling permits a student to complete all four years in two, but not all block methods do. Further, there are state and local course requirements in courses like PE, art, music, business, vocational etc. needed for graduation. Since block scheduling typically reduces the number of courses per year, while it may be possible for a student to complete the "core" before senior year, those other requirements still have to be fulfilled. It's all for naught unless the kid graduates high school.

So you don't think this whole leaving early plan is a bad idea?

Hell no. It is young adults making well advised choices. It's called freedom and at 20-21 years of age...it's their choice not yours or mine. They aren't kids at that age and it's time to shatter the myth that they are.

Reactions: searay26
Parson's grades are fine, he will have no trouble qualifying. His issue with enrolling early is primarily with his high school. No one at his high school has ever graduated early so it remains to be seen if his school will allow it. That is the major obstacle with him enrolling early.

BTW:

For all those who fawn over the 16 year old super-recruits:

The last "Five-Star-Can't-Miss-Uber-Recruit" to sign with Penn State?
As opposed to taking advantage of the opportunities to participate in the robust experiences of a developing 20 year old, spent his junior year at college taking correspondence courses - so as to not allow "classes and stuff" to interfere with his preparations to become the next big thing in the NFL.

How many are fawning over him now?

Yep, that's a beneficial plan.
IMO, the last "Five-Star-Can't-Miss-Uber-Recruit" to sign with Penn State is the 2nd string RG, who I expect to make a big impact next year.
Not sure who you are referring to.

BTW:

For all those who fawn over the 16 year old super-recruits:

The last "Five-Star-Can't-Miss-Uber-Recruit" to sign with Penn State?
As opposed to taking advantage of the opportunities to participate in the robust experiences of a developing 20 year old, spent his junior year at college taking correspondence courses - so as to not allow "classes and stuff" to interfere with his preparations to become the next big thing in the NFL.

How many are fawning over him now?

Yep, that's a beneficial plan.

Sounds like control freak fascism ....one shoe fits all post. You missed a 5 star or two. Seriously, in s less debauched nation 20-21 yr olds make adult decisions and live with them their whole lives. It's responsible adult behavior.

Reactions: LionJim
Was that is response to my post?

Just curious, since it followed immediately after it, but had nothing to do with the topic of the post.

Just in case "comprehension" isn't a strong point - here's a little clue:

There is a huge difference between:
1) Taking advantage of a large financial opportunity.
2) Sacrificing known opportunities based upon the erroneous assumption that throwing away (or minimizing) those known opportunities will enhance the likelihood of being presented with that future opportunity.

In fact, the two are completely unrelated.

Follow?

Jeebzus
I like how you went back and edited your post after the fact. Smooth move hornynorm.......

Feel like we're in great shape with Parsons - anyone think he'll actually go on an official to Georgia like he's indicated? Would really only have one weekend to get it in before the Dec. 20 announcement date....

Feel like we're in great shape with Parsons - anyone think he'll actually go on an official to Georgia like he's indicated? Would really only have one weekend to get it in before the Dec. 20 announcement date....

Looks like in the past 24 hours, his father said due to Harrisburg's unexpected loss in the playoffs, Micah is going to try to get down to UGA.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Wiltfong says that Parsons will take his OV to Penn State in December. Anyone know the date?

Looks positive for Oweh.

Wiltfong's Weekly Buzz: PSU putting bow on elite 2018 class

Also inside this week's Buzz: Clemson making moves with major targets, Ohio State looks to shore up its quarterback situation, and Oregon lands a stud tight end.
6_7583374.jpg

(Photo: Frank Hyatt, 247Sports)

Penn State is sitting on the nation’s No. 3 recruiting class and James Franklin, Sean Spencer, and the rest of the Nittany Lions' staff are working hard to finish it off with three blue-chip defensive ends.

Three they need to go to the next level as the Nittany Lions are right on the cusp of being a great football team.

They were Big Ten champs last year and have a great shot at another New Year’s Six Bowl this year.

Guys like Micah Parsons, Tyreke Smith and Jayson Oweh are the type of talents that could push Penn State into the playoff.

Despite the Nittany Lions ranking 12th nationally in sacks, the games where they’ve struggled are the ones where they’ve failed to generate a consistent pass rush. It's easy, then, to see why Franklin and company are all in on Parsons, Smith and Oweh to compliment some talented young edge players like Shareef Miller, Shane Simmons, Shaka Toney and Yetur Matos. Adding those three to the mix completely re-energizes the greatest position of need on the roster. It's no sure thing that Penn State will land all three, but as it stands right now, my 247Sports Crystal Ball is riding with the Nittany Lions for each blue-chipper.

Ranked by 247Sports as the No. 5 recruit in the country, the 6-foot-3, 235-pound Parsons is the most versatile front-seven prospect in America. He could play MIKE backer if you wanted to use him that way, but he has unusual traits as a pass rusher. Proximity to home has always seemed important in this recruitment, and with the Nittany Lions biggest threat Ohio State focused on other targets, it looks one Penn State will be tough to beat for the Harrisburg (Pa.) High standout.

And while his unofficial visit to Ohio State Saturday was an eyebrow-raiser regarding the PSU prediction, I still haven’t heard anything to make me believe it won’t be the Nittany Lions when the Cleveland Heights (Ohio) High standout announces at the Under Armour game in January. Both Smith and Parsons will take officials to Happy Valley in December, likely giving PSU the final visit for both before they decide.

Oweh told 247Sports over the weekend that Penn State has separated itself from its peers; we’ll see if that holds true when it's time announce a decision. Michigan gets a visit this weekend, Notre Dame is slated for one in December and Ohio State has been considered the leader at times throughout this recruitment. But Oweh has clicked with the coaches and players at PSU better than any other place.

Franklin and his staff have signed a top 25 class every haul since arriving in State College. During this cycle, they’ve raised the bar as they aim to go top 10 for the first time. Close these d-ends and it likely finishes in the top five.

Non that I don't support and agree with the comments that CJF made, but what the heck does this have to do with 2018 Recruiting?

Reactions: Springcity
Retiring number 22 was and is a horrible number. Sure, its a number that has significance, but I'd retire 31 before I retire 22. What they should do, IMHO, is reserve number 22 (or 26) and 31 for special players who have earned it. If someone starts a petition to un-retire the number 22, I'll be glad to sign it.

Bring 22 out of retirement for a special talent. Franklin thinks of everything and has been holding this in his back pocket as a big time closing technique and the ultimate show of respect to Oweh! (tic)

Reactions: udsig91
Retiring number 22 was and is a horrible number. Sure, its a number that has significance, but I'd retire 31 before I retire 22. What they should do, IMHO, is reserve number 22 (or 26) and 31 for special players who have earned it. If someone starts a petition to un-retire the number 22, I'll be glad to sign it.

He can't wear it at OSU either it is retired there as well.

Reactions: AvgPennStateFan
Lots of talk on here about Parsons and Oweh, but little on Tyreke Smith. Recent crystal ball predictions have him PSU bound. IMO, would be a much bigger get than Oweh.

See above, although I think Wilfong accidentally left Smiths name out of the paragraph. PSU still in the lead and most likely too far ahead for OSU to catch up.

Reactions: PSUoh90
Lots of talk on here about Parsons and Oweh, but little on Tyreke Smith. Recent crystal ball predictions have him PSU bound. IMO, would be a much bigger get than Oweh.

PSUoh90 -

This paragraph, from the above posted Wilfong's Weekly Buzz, is about Smith...

And while his [Smith's] unofficial visit to Ohio State Saturday was an eyebrow-raiser regarding the PSU prediction,

I still haven’t heard anything to make me believe it won’t be the Nittany Lions when the Cleveland Heights (Ohio) High standout announces at the Under Armour game in January.

Both Smith and Parsons will take officials to Happy Valley in December, likely giving PSU the final visit for both before they decide.

Reactions: PSUoh90
If the kid doesn't come here because of a number, or if this is actually a serious factor in his recruitment, he can move right along.

It would be huge for Parson’s and PSU if he enrolls early. The extra time in the weight room and practice field will have a huge impact on his freshman year.

Oweh is #1 on my wish list. IMHO he’s going to be a great player. Has a good upbringing, strong on education, great work ethic, and extremely athletic. Really think 3 years from now he will be one of the top DE’s in the country. He’s going to be a leader on and off the field...

Reactions: Ranger Dan
It’s silly to think he wouldn’t choose a college based on the availabilty of his high school number. You had to go overboard and dismiss Oweh based on a message he sent with a question mark at the end. If you’d read the thread you’d know that #22 isn’t available at OSU either.

Miles Sanders isn’t wearing #4. Barkley isn’t wearing #21.

Oweh isn’t making his decision based on a jersey number. Maybe try not to be so quick to pull out your shiv.

It’s silly to think he wouldn’t choose a college based on the availabilty of his high school number. You had to go overboard and dismiss Oweh based on a message he sent with a question mark at the end. If you’d read the thread you’d know that #22 isn’t available at OSU either.

Miles Sanders isn’t wearing #4. Barkley isn’t wearing #21.

Oweh isn’t making his decision based on a jersey number. Maybe try not to be so quick to pull out your shiv.
I've read every page of this thread, but thanks for the moronic and ironic mini lecture on presumptuousness.

He is the one tweeting about it, thereby indicating that it is on his mind. He can like or dislike that the number isn't available. If it is that important to him, he can wear it elsewhere. I find the notion that a number be unretired to capitulate to a single recruit stupid, disrespectful, and unnessarily desperate. Pitt has to do stuff like that. We don't. In case you hadn't noticed in your extensive studies of this thread, we've got a line at the door.

Reactions: SUPERTODD
I've read every page of this thread, but thanks for the moronic and ironic mini lecture on presumptuousness.

He is the one tweeting about it, thereby indicating that it is on his mind. He can like or dislike that the number isn't available. If it is that important to him, he can wear it elsewhere. I find the notion that a number be unretired to capitulate to a single recruit stupid, disrespectful, and unnessarily desperate. Pitt has to do stuff like that. We don't. In case you hadn't noticed in your extensive studies of this thread, we've got a line at the door.

I find the fact that we have one number retired to be stupid, disrespectful, and to have been an unnecessarily desperate move made at a time when the leaders of the school were scrambling to give an appearance of being something less than the unscrupulous, bumbling fools they were.

I find the fact that we have one number retired to be stupid, disrespectful, and to have been an unnecessarily desperate move made at a time when the leaders of the school were scrambling to give an appearance of being something less than the unscrupulous, bumbling fools they were.
Getting away from the point of the thread here, but I agree that - although Cappy's contributions to Penn State football deserves a place of honor - I don't think his number should be retired, nor should any other player for their accomplishments on the field no matter how noteworthy.

I do think, though, that if one number should be retired, it should be for a player who was robbed of the opportunity to make use of it - that's why I believe we should have retired Adam Taliaferro's #43 when he was injured. But now fifteen years later, I don't think we should have any numbers retired.

Getting away from the point of the thread here, but I agree that - although Cappy's contributions to Penn State football deserves a place of honor - I don't think his number should be retired, nor should any other player for their accomplishments on the field no matter how noteworthy.

I do think, though, that if one number should be retired, it should be for a player who was robbed of the opportunity to make use of it - that's why I believe we should have retired Adam Taliaferro's #43 when he was injured. But now fifteen years later, I don't think we should have any numbers retired.
As regards #43, I respectfully abstain.

Bring 22 out of retirement for a special talent. Franklin thinks of everything and has been holding this in his back pocket as a big time closing technique and the ultimate show of respect to Oweh! (tic)
Bet Cappy voluntarily un-retires the number for Oweh without being asked. He generously allowed Lynch to keep it for his career albeit cut short by Saquon. I'd bet he would present it to him personally on signing day. He is a class act who would Penn State first. Just my opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT