ADVERTISEMENT

2018 PSU Women's VB Thread

DmDPdkAX0AAsphX.jpg:large

AVCA Coaches Poll for games through 9/3, at THIS LINK.

PSU moves up from #6 to #5. Lots of movement in this week's poll, as former #1 (Stanford) and former #2 (Texas) lost a game. Wisky moved from #8 to #2, and BYU moved from #9 to #3.

I'm setting this thread up now, as I came upon this season preview interview with Bryanna Weiskircher.

You can access the interview at THIS LINK

Women's Volleyball: #5 PennState vs #4 Stanford

Tonight's match starts at 11:00PM which is way past my bedtime (and I will be staying up late tomorrow night) so I will not be doing play by play. Hopefully one of you night owls will be able to post on the match.

After much thought all day today, I would like to comment on a topic started today by marylovesthelions. IMHO she made a personal observation about what she believed, but about three replies later out came the r word and it continued to get worse. I find it incomprehensible that people could hate on someone with a handle marylovesthelions. Fortunately the topic was deleted, but it continues to bother me. It all the years that I have been on bwi or plotit, I don't think that I have ever encountered a poster that I would consider a r word. I personally find that word as offensive as the c word or the n word. Since the r word finds its way into a topic here all too frequently and it bothers me so much, I think that it is best that I sign out from bwi and not post again (just will be a lurker to read Judge Smails and Chi Town lion posts).

I only ever post about my passions, PennState wrestling and PennState volleyball and a few times about the golf course or the golf tournament since I live about 10 minutes from Berckman's Road. However, I would never think to make a negative comment about any PennState poster or PennState alum ( well maybe Mark Dambly; I occasionally like to Google Mark Dambly and drug dealer to remember why I despise the University's administration and as long as I live, will always be in the "never another nickel crowd."

Since I won't ever read any of your responses, please feel free to call me what ever you like, but please don't do that to marylovesthelions.

Two last things, remember 8:00PM tomorrow

WE ARE........PENNSTATE

WE WILL..........KICK ASS

Tonight's match starts at 11:00PM which is way past my bedtime (and I will be staying up late tomorrow night) so I will not be doing play by play. Hopefully one of you night owls will be able to post on the match.

After much thought all day today, I would like to comment on a topic started today by marylovesthelions. IMHO she made a personal observation about what she believed, but about three replies later out came the r word and it continued to get worse. I find it incomprehensible that people could hate on someone with a handle marylovesthelions. Fortunately the topic was deleted, but it continues to bother me. It all the years that I have been on bwi or plotit, I don't think that I have ever encountered a poster that I would consider a r word. I personally find that word as offensive as the c word or the n word. Since the r word finds its way into a topic here all too frequently and it bothers me so much, I think that it is best that I sign out from bwi and not post again (just will be a lurker to read Judge Smails and Chi Town lion posts).

I only ever post about my passions, PennState wrestling and PennState volleyball and a few times about the golf course or the golf tournament since I live about 10 minutes from Berckman's Road. However, I would never think to make a negative comment about any PennState poster or PennState alum ( well maybe Mark Dambly; I occasionally like to Google Mark Dambly and drug dealer to remember why I despise the University's administration and as long as I live, will always be in the "never another nickel crowd."

Since I won't ever read any of your responses, please feel free to call me what ever you like, but please don't do that to marylovesthelions.

WE ARE........PENNSTATE

Very sorry to read this Jon, but I understand. Thanks to the usual suspects for running off another great poster.

WE ARE........PENNSTATE

Hope you reconsider Jon Z. We all appreciate your updates and comments .

WE ARE........PENNSTATE

Jon, just because there are a few (well, about 7 or 8) assholes that think they can start and win any argument by being the first to call someone a racist isn't reason for you to leave necessarily. Try putting those few on "ignore" first.

JonZ, I hope you reconsider. Your posts have always certainly been among the most looked-forward-to posts on this Board and your contributions have brought many smiles and many many many more “thank yous”.

Perhaps you might consider continuing posting about your passions and not read other posts?

Whatever you decide: FONZIE IS BARKING FOR YOU!!!!!

I hope this plea will reach you JonZ. I echo ILLINOIS LION. Please reconsider. I understand your indignation. I recently left the board for a couple of months out of frustration but have returned. I am using ignore much more often and try to avoid threads I know will bother me. I realize that is not always possible and you may read one, or more, offensive posts. I urge you to put the offender on ignore and move on. There are a dozen or so suspects who drag the board down but there are a lot of good people here and you are one of them. That's why I came back. I am among your legion of fans and the board would be diminished by your absence. I hope to see you posting again soon, but if it is not to be, I thank you for your contributions and wish you well.

Last edited:

WE ARE........PENNSTATE

No doubt Jon, I share your frustrations regarding these fraud PSU posing-troll posters (and have had to put up with my fair share of these piece of garbage, hypocritical, childish assholes nonsense - also agree with your points that it is absurd for a PSU Alumni such as myself or Mary having to put up with these POS, hypothetical little turds and whiners who are no more "PSU fans", let alone Alumni, than the man on the moon is - quite to the contrary, they're childish, hypocritical trolls as proven by the fact that they fraudulently pose as PSU fans for the purpose of trolling and flaming PSU and bonafide PSU fans and Alumnus!). Why Tom puts up with, and allows it, is quite beyond me, but perhaps he doesn't find it as offensive as it truly is, and you & I feel it is, because he is not a PSU Alumnae himself (and that's not a knock on Tom as he's a good guy - have met him and spent time with him on many occasions - but not being an alumnus, this offensive behavior by these pieces of garbage a-holes (same ones all the time - same ones you referenced regarding Mary....same ones constantly attacking me) is not as personal or offensive necessarily when you are not a PSU alumnus.

Reactions: lionbacker
PSU had a lead late in set one and dropped it 25-23. Dropped the next set 25-20. Looks like intermission now. Only tv is PAC network.

3rd Set underway. PSU trailing 6-4
PSU now down 11-5 Things don't seem to be going well
There's a spark there Cut deficit to 12-9
13-12 Trees 3rd set down 2-0
PSU loses 3rd set 25-20
Sweep for the Trees

Last edited:
Reactions: NedFromYork
PSU had a lead late in set one and dropped it 25-23. Dropped the next set 25-20. Looks like intermission now. Only tv is PAC network.

3rd Set underway. PSU trailing 6-4
PSU now down 11-5 Things don't seem to be going well
There's a spark there Cut deficit to 12-9
13-12 Trees 3rd set down 2-0
PSU loses 3rd set 25-20
Sweep for the Trees

Valiant try by MtNit tonight but we need JonZ!

I hope this plea will reach you JonZ. I echo ILLINOIS LION. Please reconsider. I understand your indignation. I recently left the board for a couple of months out of frustration but have returned. I am using ignore much more often and try to avoid threads I know will bother me. I realize that is not always possible and you may read one, or more, offensive posts. I urge you to put the offender on ignore and move on. There are a dozen or so suspects who drag the board down but there are a lot of good people here and you are one of them. That's why I came back. I am among your legion of fans and the board would be diminished by your absence. I hope to see you posting again soon, but if it is not to be, I thank you for your contributions and wish you well.

JonZ,

I'm with the others here to urge you to reconsider, and continue posting. Put whomever you need to on ignore, if you must, but please stay. I don't post very much but I've been a follower of this forum since the plotit days. (I totally stay away from the football gameday threads). I don't present my ideas as eloquently as some of the other posters here, but your presence here will be sorely missed as you are one of the really good guys. If you choose not to reconsider, I want to thank you for all the positives you've brought to this board which are numerous. Go State!!!

PSU ba Stanford release:
No. 5 Penn State falls at the hand of No. 4 Stanford
Penn State was swept by No. 4 Stanford, 25-23, 25-20, 25-20, on Friday evening.

STANFORD, Calif. – The No. 5 Penn State women’s volleyball team fell to No. 4 Stanford, 3-0: 25-23, 25-20, 25-20, in their first match of the 2018 Big 10/ Pac-12 Challenge hosted by Stanford on Friday evening.

The two powerhouses squared off in Maples Pavilion on Stanford’s campus, but the veteran Stanford (5-1) squad was too much for the youthful Nittany Lions (5-1) Friday evening.

Stanford, who returned five AVCA All-America honorees and only fields one freshmen in their rotation, hit .294, while tallying 12 team blocks. The Cardinal also scored 63.0 points in the match, to just 50.5 by the Nittany Lions.

The Nittany Lions were led by redshirt senior Nia Reed who tied her career high with 14 kills, tallying a .367 hitting percentage. Her fellow outside Taylor Leath added 10 kills, nine digs, and a solo block.

In the middle, Penn State saw freshman Kaitlyn Hord put down seven kills on a .500 hitting percentage. She added five blocks.

Redshirt senior setter Bryanna Weiskircher dished out 31 assists, adding a career-high seven blocks and scooping up eight digs.

Junior libero Kendall White, Penn State lone returning All-American, was a monster in the back row, recording a match-best 19 digs. Freshman Gabby Blossom added eight digs, while fellow freshman Jenna Hampton added six.

On the match, the Nittany Lions tallied 9.5 team blocks, adding 40 kills, and 54 digs.

Penn State returns to action to take on No. 18 Oregon at 5 p.m. ET on Saturday afternoon. Oregon took down No. 1 Minnesota in four sets prior to the Penn State/Stanford match.

WE ARE........PENNSTATE

Thank you JohnZ. I cut the test board and all cable news from my life to eliminate pumping hate into my soul. So sad that love for our heroes created such a storm. For me, the National Anthem is the most emotional moment of a Lions game. Sadly, many find it hard or distasteful to cast off the hatred that harms their soul. I used to be where they are and now pray for them God bless.

Hard fought win over American U. Thanks again to the usual suspects for Jon's absence.

DnLWpF9UYAA2ZPa.jpg:large

Congratulations to volleyball freshman

Two weeks in a row a freshman was named Freshman of the Week in the Big 10,
Last week it was Hord, it think, and this week Parker. Both have looked very good in the matches that I have seen.

Speaks well for the future.

Reactions: lionbacker
Two weeks in a row a freshman was named Freshman of the Week in the Big 10,
Last week it was Hord, it think, and this week Parker. Both have looked very good in the matches that I have seen.

Speaks well for the future.

Parker was great at the home matches I attended. To me, Hord didn’t stand out as much, but seems she’s been coming on ever since.

#4 PSU @ #7 Minny

Set 1:
18-16, PSU
20-19, Minny, TO PSU
21-19, Minny (Parker into the net)
22-19, Minny (on a MB block), TO PSU (their 2nd)
23-19, Minny (a dinker over the PSU block)
23-20, Minny (Parker with a kill)
23-21, Minny (double contact on Minny on their set)
24-21, Minny (block by Minny on a PSU kill attempt by Parker)
24-22, Minny (block by Minny goes OOB)
25-22, Minny (kill from the MB)

PSU kind of fell apart just after I started watching the match. Blame me. ;)

Set 2:
1-0, PSU (Weiskircher doing a Hancock play with a kill when it appeared she was going to set)
1-1, tie (Minny with a kill by the OH)
2-1, PSU (Minny with a service error)
3-1, PSU (Minny MB with a kill that was OOB)
3-2, PSU (Minny with a kill by the OH that was blocked by PSU, but OOB)
3-3, tie (Minny with a block on a dink shot)
4-3, PSU (PSU with a block on a kill attempt by the Minny OH)
5-3, PSU (Minny MB with a kill that was long)
5-4, PSU (Minny OH with a dink shot over the block)
5-5, tie (PSU confusion on who was receiving the serve)
6-5, PSU (really long rally ended by Parker with a kill)
6-6, tie (Minny OH kill that went off the top of the hands of the block)
7-6, Minny (Leath kill that was blocked by Minny)
7-7, tie (a dink shot over the Minny block)
8-7, PSU (a block by PSU of a dink attempt by PSU)
8-8, tie (service error by PSU)
9-8, Minny (block of a kill attempt by PSU's OH)
9-9, tie (service error by Minny)
10-9, Minny (shot it off the side of the PSU block)
10-10, tie (Minny shot from the back line goes long)
11-10, PSU (kill by Minny MB goes wide)
11-11, tie (kill by Minny OH into the corner)
12-11, PSU (kill by PSU off the block)
12-12, tie (Parker with a great save that set up Minny's OH for a kill)
13-12, Minny (PSU dig went just over the net and the Minny MB took advantage)
14-12, Minny (Leath tried a dink that got blocked by Minny)
15-12, Minny (Minny OH with a kill that went off the fingertips of the PSU block)
TO
15-13, Minny (PSU with a quick kill from the MB)
16-13, Minny (Minny OH with a kill that goes off the fingertips of the PSU block)
16-14, Minny (service error -- long -- by Minny)
17-15, Minny (PSU with a service error into the net)
17-16, Minny (Leath with a kill from the OH)
17-17, tie (Weiskircher with a block)
18-17, Minny (kill by Minny OH)
18-18, tie (PSU with a funky shot that caught Minny by surprise)
19-18, Minny (PSU with another service error)
20-18, Minny (PSU kill went long)
TO, PSU
21-18, Minny (PSU kill into the net)
21-19, Minny (Weiskircher with a kill)
22-19, Minny (Minny OH with a kill off the fingertips of the PSU block)
23-19, Minny (Parker's kill attempt is long)
TO, PSU (their 2nd)
BTN shows the score as 23-18. I'm not sure where I got out of synch with the score, but I'll revert to their score
23-19, Minny (Minny dig went over the net and PSU pounced on it for the kill)
23-20, Minny (Parker with a kill that went off the Minny block)
23-21, Minny (Minny kill by the OH went wide/long)
TO, Minny
24-21, Minny (Kill by Minny from the MB)
25-21, Minny (Kill by Minny OH went off the fingertips of the PSU block)

2-0, Minny, in the match

Set 3:
1-0, Minny (Kill by Minny OH)
2-0, Minny (Kill by Minny MB)
3-0, Minny (Kill by Minny OH)
3-1, Minny (Kill by PSU that was dug by Minny but never got back over the net)
4-1, Minny (I missed the play)
4-2, Minny (really long rally, and Minny OH hit it long at the end)
5-2, Minny (Kill by Minny OH went off the top of the PSU block)
6-2, Minny (Kill by Minny OH)
7-2, Minny (Kill by Minny OH)
8-2, Minny (Block by Minny on a kill attempt by Leath)
9-2, Minny (PSU called for a double contact on a set)
9-3, Minny (Minny with a service error into the net)
9-4, Minny (PSU serve might have been long but Minny played it and lost)
10-4, Minny (Kill by Minny OH down the line)
10-5, Minny (Kill by PSU MB on the slide that went off the fingertips of the block)
11-5, Minny (Kill by Minny MB that went off the top of the PSU block)
11-6, Minny (Kill by Minny OH that went just wide)
11-7, Minny (set by Minny couldn't be played by the Minny OH)
12-7, Minny (Kill by Minny OH that got dug but went into the crowd)
12-8, Minny (double contact by Minny on a set)
13-8, Minny (Kill by Minny from the MB)
14-8, Minny (Kill by Minny OH down the line)
14-9, Minny (Kill by Minny OH went long)
15-9, Minny (Kill by Minny MB)
TV TO
15-10, Minny (Dink shot by Parker finds the floor)
16-10, Minny (Kill by Minny OH)
17-10, Minny (Kill by Minny OH)
TO, PSU
17-11, Minny (I think Minny was in the net)
18-11, Minny (Kill by Minny OH)
18-12, Minny (Leath with a kill off the top of the block)
18-13, Minny (Block by PSU's MB)
18-14, Minny (long rally ended by a kill by PSU's OH)
TO, Minny
19-14, Minny (kill by Minny MB)
19-15, Minny (kill by PSU OH)
20-15, Minny (kill by their MB went off the PSU block)
20-16, Minny (service error -- long serve -- by Minny)
21-16, Minny (kill by Minny OH)
21-17, Minny (Kill by PSU MB)
22-17, Minny (Kill attempt by Leath is long)
22-18, Minny (Kill by PSU MB)
23-18, Minny (Kill by PSU MB rolled along the top of the net and went OOB)
23-19, Minny (Kill by Parker through the Minny block)
24-19, Minny (Kill by Minny MB)
TO, PSU (their 2nd)
25-19, Minny (PSU's dig on the serve was an overpass that got killed by the Minny MB)

Minny wins the match, 3-0.

I was expecting PSU to make some adjustments after the break, but it was Minny that played better after the break.

PSU suffers their 2nd loss of the season (other 1 to Stanford).

PSU has some work to do.

Reactions: pointingdogsrule
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT