ADVERTISEMENT

2018 PSU Women's VB Thread

My first chance to watch them on Sunday. I was really impressed with the Freshman. They are going to be a handful in the coming years.

Agreed!

Somoeone commented that RR unlikely to win another NC before retirement. I hope and believe that the performance of this year’s team belies that, with so many frosh playing key roles getting better all the time. and recruiting classes in progress likely to be as strong!

Sat 10/6:

PSU sweeps tOSU 3-0.....revenges loss from a few weeks ago:

25-13 25-22 25-22

WE STILL NEED.....JON Z
Really interesting match. OSU caused problems but PSU never let them get control. This makes four straight 3-0s. Makes one wonder how they will react when they have to win a 4th or 5th set. That will probably be the case this coming week.

Reactions: TheGLOV
polls for 10/8:

u8TNtYT.jpg

Yeah, saw that too. Assumed the h was a typo and it was more likely Pittsburg State University, KS!

Not a typo. They are 17-0, 51-9 in sets. They deserve to be ranked that high. They've played two ranked opponents and beat them handily, sweeping #18 Washington and topping #12 Cal Poly 3-1 in a match that wasn't really that close. They have a decent chance of being undefeated going into NCAA play.

They take on Nebraska at home at 8 pm after the MSU game. I see that you can use your football tickets and get in for just $5.00. It would be nice to sell out Rec Hall and beat those Cornhuskers.

Not a typo. They are 17-0, 51-9 in sets. They deserve to be ranked that high. They've played two ranked opponents and beat them handily, sweeping #18 Washington and topping #12 Cal Poly 3-1 in a match that wasn't really that close. They have a decent chance of being undefeated going into NCAA play.
I can see it now, both PSU and Pitt make the NCAAs and PSU hosts the first round and meets Pitt!! Talk about high energy

More likely they both host the first two rounds which means they won't meet earlier than the Sweet Sixteen.

Maybe, but PSU's remaining schedule is very difficult. There is no guarantee PSU will be seeded. If they finish lower than 16 in the RPI, the Lions might have to travel to Pitt in the first round.

Maybe, but PSU's remaining schedule is very difficult. There is no guarantee PSU will be seeded. If they finish lower than 16 in the RPI, the Lions might have to travel to Pitt in the first round.
Wonder what Pitt's arena holds. Pitt/PSU VB would be quite a draw I believe

This year’s team is also “short” compared to likely competition at highest levels: Stanford, Nebraska, Minny. Kudos to RR for NOT bringing it up as the team cannot control that aspect, only he can through recruiting.

Don't kid yourself. An inch or two here and there isn't going to make a difference. Only experience will make a difference. These frosh have a tremendous amount of talent, particularly Hord, Gray and Parker. Blossom also has some very good potential.

That's true every year and yet I can't remember the last time PSU did not host the first two rounds.

That's true every year and yet I can't remember the last time PSU did not host the first two rounds.

That's because our RPI has always placed us in the top sixteen seeds. In case you haven't noticed, we've already lost two conference games this season and have Purdue and Nebraska this week. The B1G is a lot tougher than it used to be.

Reactions: mn78psu83
That's because our RPI has always placed us in the top sixteen seeds. In case you haven't noticed, we've already lost two conference games this season and have Purdue and Nebraska this week. The B1G is a lot tougher than it used to be.

I follow the vball team as closely as you do, although I rarely post on dignittanyvolleyball,com. I note that you did not state when we last didn't get a top 16 seed. BIG being tougher is a moot point. Just means we can lose more matches and still be a top 16 seed.

Don't kid yourself. An inch or two here and there isn't going to make a difference. Only experience will make a difference. These frosh have a tremendous amount of talent, particularly Hord, Gray and Parker. Blossom also has some very good potential.

Don’t confuse my observation with disapproval/pessimism. RR has his choice of recruits and I firmly believe that he targets the best players for the best team (on the boys club circuit I’ve heard critics say Coach Pav recruits too much height). But for a young team already on a steep learning curve, matching up against some 6’6” and 6’8” women on the best teams is magnified.

I follow the vball team as closely as you do, although I rarely post on dignittanyvolleyball,com. I note that you did not state when we last didn't get a top 16 seed. BIG being tougher is a moot point. Just means we can lose more matches and still be a top 16 seed.

Really? How many matches do you think we can lose this year and remain in the top sixteen of the RPI?

As of this moment (just before the start of the Purdue match), Penn State's RPI is #17. Pitt's is #4.

PSU and Purdue tie 1-1 now. Nice comeback for the ladies after being down about 7 points to pull it out at the end. You can watch live on espnu btw.

Reactions: CBird
ADVERTISEMENT