ADVERTISEMENT

2018/19 lineup speculation

GogglesPaizano

Feb 6, 2018
From On the Mats - reposted as I agree 100%, my take exactly

"With the rumor mill re: weight movements in full swing and a great class coming in to fill some gaps a lot of scenarios are on the table. I don't buy in to any of the big shirt possibilities like Nick or Mark, but have bought in to the upper weight scuttlebutt. Here is my somewhat controversial take, but on balance a good amount of change from last year.

125: Teske (Teas too big, shirting, and we dont need his points this year)
133: RBY (Teasdale Redshirt)
141: Lee
149: Berge (wins the wrestle-off vs Verk)
157: Nolf
165: Joseph
174: Hall
184: Rasheed (Slight cut no tank issues)
197: Nickal (I'll take extra cheese on that large pizza please)
285: Cassar (Nevills injured)"

Last edited:
From On the Mats - reposted as I agree 100%, my take exactly

"With the rumor mill re: weight movements in full swing and a great class coming in to fill some gaps a lot of scenarios are on the table. I don't buy in to any of the big shirt possibilities like Nick or Mark, but have bought in to the upper weight scuttlebutt. Here is my somewhat controversial take, but on balance a good amount of change from last year.

125: Teske (Teas too big, shirting, and we dont need his points this year)
133: RBY (Teasdale Redshirt)
141: Lee
149: Berge (wins the wrestle-off vs Verk)
165: Joseph
184: Rasheed (Slight cut no tank issues)
197: Nickal (I'll take extra cheese on that large pizza please)
285: Cassar (Nevills injured)"

I believe you need to switch Rasheed and Bo around. The same person that said Cassar was huge also said Rasheed was clearly bigger as well. Doesn't sound like a descent to 184.

I believe you need to switch Rasheed and Bo around. The same person that said Cassar was huge also said Rasheed was clearly bigger as well. Doesn't sound like a descent to 184.
I’d like to see Teske, Teasdale, RBY, and NLee all redshirt. They man 125, 133, 141, 149 in 2019/20 and will be dynamite with a year to develop.

Backups go at 125 & 133 with Verk and Berge at 141 and 149. The rest of the lineup is potentially top 3 in each weight class with a real good possibility of 4 guys winning titles.

157-174 is locked and loaded. Not sure of the combo at 184-285 but 4 guys will battle it out. Bo is in for sure. Nevills hurt? Shak and Cassar are top notch.

Another big score and title is very likely. Cael will be prepping for 2019/2020 as the 3 N’s and Shak will be gone. That’s champ 60 points!

I’d like to see Teske, Teasdale, RBY, and NLee all redshirt. They man 125, 133, 141, 149 in 2019/20 and will be dynamite with a year to develop.

Backups go at 125 & 133 with Verk and Berge at 141 and 149. The rest of the lineup is potentially top 3 in each weight class with a real good possibility of 4 guys winning titles.

157-174 is locked and loaded. Not sure of the combo at 184-285 but 4 guys will battle it out. Bo is in for sure. Nevills hurt? Shak and Cassar are top notch.

Another big score and title is very likely. Cael will be prepping for 2019/2020 as the 3 N’s and Shak will be gone. That’s champ 60 points!

I don;t see us redshirting all of those guys and I don't see Verk making 141. As to 285 if Nevills is healthy I would put the chances of Cassar beating him out at less than 1%.

N Lee could redshirt after this year with Verk and Berge manning 149/157 once Nolf departs. If tOSU decides to redshirt guys and with Iowa's best team in a decade being 2019-2020, I'm not sure if RS Nick Lee will be possible from a team title perspective. RBY could maybe go 141 that year depending on development.

As to 285 if Nevills is healthy I would put the chances of Cassar beating him out at less than 1%.

Lmao. I guess being a nice guy will have some PSU fans overestimating one's skillset. Cutch graduated so I guess Nick is next in line.

Lmao. I guess being a nice guy will have some PSU fans overestimating one's skillset. Cutch graduated so I guess Nick is next in line.
Couldn't the same be said about Cassar? He lost his starting job to a guy many think should be at a lower weight, and now he's gonna dethrone a 2x AA while giving up 30+ lb ... Not inconceivable, but not compelling either.

Couldn't the same be said about Cassar? He lost his starting job to a guy many think should be at a lower weight, and now he's gonna dethrone a 2x AA while giving up 30+ lb ... Not inconceivable, but not compelling either.

Me thinks Cassar had a much better chance of beating Shak for the position this year than taking out a healthy Nick. This tells me there is strength to the rumor Bo goes 197, it might also indicate the Nick injury/retirement rumors might have substance.

Cassar has 2 more years of eligibility, seems he would have been better situated to be Bo's backup at 197 (injuries happen) than to take on a healthy Nevills as well as his big little Bro in 2019. Clearly in 2019, 197 could be Cassar's alone with Bo and Shak gone while Beard redshirts. If Cassar is indeed now walking around at 220+ something is afoot.

Truth be told all scenarios remain rumor driven but circumstancial evidence seems to indicate there will be a big shakeup at the upper weights.

Last edited:
As to 285 if Nevills is healthy I would put the chances of Cassar beating him out at less than 1%.

I think it's probably close to a toss-up if both are healthy. Cassar's weakness would be the bottom position. But neutral would be an edge for him.

Me thinks Cassar had a much better chance of beating Shak for the position this year than taking out a healthy Nick. This tells me there is strength to the rumor Bo goes 197, it might also indicate the Nick injury/retirement rumors might have substance.

Cassar has 2 more years of eligibility, seems he would have better better situated to be Bo's backup at 197 (injuries happen) than to take on a healthy Nevills as well as his big little Bro in 2019. Clearly in 2019, 197 could be Cassar's alone with Bo and Shak gone while Beard redshirts. If Cassar is indeed now walking around at 220+ something is afoot.

Truth be told all scenarios remain rumor driven but circumstancial evidence seems to indicate there will be a big shakeup at the upper weights.
When was it announced that Cassar has received or even will seek a 6th year?

Until proven otherwise, that is still speculation.

Who'd you have starting at 197 last year? The 3rd stringer?
Just so NoVa knows how to answer: which 3rd stringer do you mean? The guy who began as the starter and ended up 3rd string? Or the guy who began as 3rd string and ended up the postseason starter?

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Verk wrestled at 65 kgs at Junior WTTs.
So he was able to suck down to 143 lb for a single event with different weigh-in rules.

Hardly evidence that he can drop to and maintain 141 for a season.

So he was able to suck down to 143 lb for a single event with different weigh-in rules.

I didn't say it was evidence of anything. Since you're not into speculation I just thought I would state a fact.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dogwelder

It isn't evidence. Jarod isn't going to beat out Berge and if there is a desire to give Nick Lee a RS if possible - it is not a stretch to believe the FS weight/competition was a let's see how he does test.

As someone posted - summer time speculation is nothing more than summer time speculation. However, I have heard it is something under consideration.

Nick wrestling 141 with Brady at 149 is not going to shock me, but neither is Jarod at 141 and Brady at 149.

When was it announced that Cassar has received or even will seek a 6th year?

Until proven otherwise, that is still speculation.

You must have some real challenges reading this board if you filter out speculation and opinion. For me during the summer months, that's why I am here, to combat the boredome, think about what ifs, and get entertained.

His bio lists him as a sophomore, which reflects his end of year status last season http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-wrestl/mtt/anthony_cassar_921791.html and wrestlestat lists him as a Jr. and Shak as a Sr. https://www.wrestlestat.com/rankings/wrestler
197. Far from 'official' but I expect we are 4 months from anything guaranteed, as isthe case with 90% of the summer PSU relevant content here.

So chill out my bro. I 'speculate' you are far too up tight

Last edited:
I'm going with Teasdale at 125, RBY at 133, Shak at 184, AND Bo at 197. I'll take NN at Hwy by the slimmest of margins over AC, but that battle WILL go back and forth during the year and Cael may have to make a hard decision again come post season tourney time.

I'm going with Teasdale at 125, RBY at 133, Shak at 184, AND Bo at 197. I'll take NN at Hwy by the slimmest of margins over AC, but that battle WILL go back and forth during the year and Cael may have to make a hard decision again come post season tourney time.

125 will definitely be interesting. The only thing about HWT is I just can't see Cassar going up unless #1 Bo is definitely going 197, but also if either Nick is indeed hurt or Cassar has had past success against Nick in practices while still at 197. It seems unlikely Cassar can beat out a healthy Nevills - which includes Seth the following year. The NN retirement rumor might have some legs, but clearly is pretty wild speculation at this time (fbo El Jefe). I haven't heard a peep on that since a couple of weeks after Nationals. 2019 is a long time to wait but 197 would have been his for the taking otherwise, if he goes HWT, there is no turning back, he'll never get down to 197 again.

I have no idea if Verkleeren is able to make and maintain 141 or not, but I'd love to see it. It would allow Lee a RS year and would give PSU nearly as strong a lineup as last year in the middle-weights (and no, I'm not suggesting that Berge's going to win 3 titles, or even that Jarod will AA at 141 (although I think he would)). Keep in mind that almost zero high school wrestlers really know how to cut weight, and he wouldn't be the first kid to wrestle at a lower weight in college than in high school (I think he was a 145 for his junior and senior years in high school if I'm not mistaken, but others will surely know).

I have no idea if Verkleeren is able to make and maintain 141 or not, but I'd love to see it. It would allow Lee a RS year and would give PSU nearly as strong a lineup as last year in the middle-weights (and no, I'm not suggesting that Berge's going to win 3 titles, or even that Jarod will AA at 141 (although I think he would)). Keep in mind that almost zero high school wrestlers really know how to cut weight, and he wouldn't be the first kid to wrestle at a lower weight in college than in high school (I think he was a 145 for his junior and senior years in high school if I'm not mistaken, but others will surely know).

True re the weight. He wrestled 152 as a junior and was 4th and then dropped to 145 as a senior and was AAA champ that year.

Reactions: billrag
Well, ask yourself: Could Anthony Cassar finish in 7th place at this years' Nationals? My first answer would be, "yes, he can". We already know, that Nick also can, since that's where he finished in March. I expect a good, close wrestle off, both guys competing during the season in dual meets, both guys in the tourneys, and another Cael decision come next March. With that said, I'm hoping for a finish a bit higher on the podium from either man, at Heavy.

125 will definitely be interesting. The only thing about HWT is I just can't see Cassar going up unless #1 Bo is definitely going 197, but also if either Nick is indeed hurt or Cassar has had past success against Nick in practices while still at 197. It seems unlikely Cassar can beat out a healthy Nevills - which includes Seth the following year. The NN retirement rumor might have some legs, but clearly is pretty wild speculation at this time (fbo El Jefe). I haven't heard a peep on that since a couple of weeks after Nationals. 2019 is a long time to wait but 197 would have been his for the taking otherwise, if he goes HWT, there is no turning back, he'll never get down to 197 again.
It would be a challenge to get back to 197 again, but not impossible. Ira Lubert weighed around 250 as I recall in the Dave Joyner Hwt days, and pulled down to 190 for his senior year! Now, I have to admit, he looked VERY different at 190, but he made it and wrestled.

True re the weight. He wrestled 152 as a junior and was 4th and then dropped to 145 as a senior and was AAA champ that year.

If I recall, he was a legit 145 pounder his junior year. But there was a mix-up late in the season with his decent plan.

Last edited:
Well, ask yourself: Could Anthony Cassar finish in 7th place at this years' Nationals? My first answer would be, "yes, he can". We already know, that Nick also can, since that's where he finished in March. I expect a good, close wrestle off, both guys competing during the season in dual meets, both guys in the tourneys, and another Cael decision come next March. With that said, I'm hoping for a finish a bit higher on the podium from either man, at Heavy.

People seem to forget Nevills before the injury. The one that beat Stoll in the dual and at BIGs. If he comes back fully healthy I expect he will compete with Stoll for the top spot at NCAAs at 285. Stevenson too if he goes. When is the last time a 5th year senior bumped up to 285 and made AA? Has it EVER happened? Probably has but I can't think of anyone.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
People seem to forget Nevills before the injury. The one that beat Stoll in the dual and at BIGs. If he comes back fully healthy I expect he will compete with Stoll for the top spot at NCAAs at 285. Stevenson too if he goes. When is the last time a 5th year senior bumped up to 285 and made AA? Has it EVER happened? Probably has but I can't think of anyone.
Interesting question...can't think of one either. There were 2 true sophomores I can think of that won NCAA Titles at heavyweight, after wrestling 190/197 as true freshmen.

If I recall, he was a legit 145 pounder his junior year, but there was a mix-up late in the season with his decent plan, when he wrestled up late in the year.

It involved his brother going at 145, iirc, and his coaches messed something up.

1 got outta Maryland, 1 went there willingly;)

IMHO, McCoy took the MD job to be closer to PSU in hopes of eventually landing the PSU head coach job. He was actually my first choice before Cael threw his hat in the ring.

Bryan Stout, Clarion. 3x AA at 190 (94-96); 4th at Hvy in 97.

I think Cael is a much simpler strategist and this seems like overthinking the lineup. We'll likely see

125: Teske/Teasdale
133: RBY
141: Nick Lee
149: Berge/Verk
165: Cenzo
184: Nickal
197: Rasheed/Cassar platoon
HWT: Nevills

Wasn't his junior year the year that his coaches goofed up his descent plan (when he bumped for a dual) and he was not allowed to wrestle at 145lbs and he chose to not wrestle off for the 152lbs spot and was out in the post season?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT