ADVERTISEMENT

Concerns entering the season

GogglesPaizano

Feb 6, 2018
Fielding what could be the strongest top to bottom PSU team ever it's pretty hard to have concerns. I have only 2, and both are slight.

1) Berge making weight. He's known for a long time he needed to get down and by his and Cael's account they are taking it slow. The slow approach definitely will yield the best results but one would think the drop from 70kg (154lb) to 149lb should have been easy. It tells me he must have had a reasonable big cut just to get to 154. Assuming the wrestleoffs result in Berge being the starter, Verk is a pretty damned good insurance policy.

2) Injury. It's not good to live in your fears, but this is the only thing that can derail the 8 of 9 train departing the station from downtown Pittsburgh in March. Voldemort, Nolf, Nevills are all examples of the gremlin thats out there lurking. I think we will be fine and bring home another.

Now for the areas where there is nothing to worry about:

Bo @ 197 - "Bo, its what he does", enough said ✓
Shak @ 184 - small cut, high energy, he will cradle many and read them a bed time story ✓
Nevills or Cassar - I don't see a downside✓
125&133 - Finally we have coverage, Teske, Teasdale, RBY - ✓✓✓
Iowa, tOSU, OSU - all are very strong but they're not there yet, maybe next year, but this year's Lions team is once again very special and at another level. ✓✓✓
4 returning National Champs - say what? (yes Marky counts) ✓✓✓✓

Fielding what could be the strongest top to bottom PSU team ever it's pretty hard to have concerns. I have only 2, and both are slight.

1) Berge making weight. He's known for a long time he needed to get down and by his and Cael's account they are taking it slow. The slow approach definitely will yield the best results but one would think the drop from 70kg (154lb) to 149lb should have been easy. It tells me he must have had a reasonable big cut just to get to 154. Assuming the wrestleoffs result in Berge being the starter, Verk is a pretty damned good insurance policy.

2) Injury. It's not good to live in your fears, but this is the only thing that can derail the 8 of 9 train departing the station from downtown Pittsburgh in March. Voldemort, Nolf, Nevills are all examples of the gremlin thats out there lurking. I think we will be fine and bring home another.

Now for the areas where there is nothing to worry about:

Bo @ 197 - "Bo, its what he does", enough said ✓
Shak @ 184 - small cut, high energy, he will cradle many and read them a bed time story ✓
Nevills or Cassar - I don't see a downside✓
125&133 - Finally we have coverage, Teske, Teasdale, RBY - ✓✓✓
Iowa, tOSU, OSU - all are very strong but they're not there yet, maybe next year, but this year's Lions team is once again very special and at another level. ✓✓✓
4 returning National Champs - say what? (yes Marky counts) ✓✓✓✓

Nice post. Gosh, life is really good when we have so little to be concerned about, isn't it.

Re number 1, when Berge makes weight at 49, we'll have 2 studs at 49...until then we have 1 :)

I agree with number 2. It's nice to have some solid depth though.

Nice post. Gosh, life is really good when we have so little to be concerned about, isn't it.

Re number 1, when Berge makes weight at 49, we'll have 2 studs at 49...until then we have 1 :)

I agree with number 2. It's nice to have some solid depth though.
Maybe an opposing thread for all to post those things we are grateful and thankful for. Doubt it'll happen, but the posting activity should be 100-to-1 as compared to this thread.

Reactions: ccdiver and Ja1339
Regarding Berge's weight cut, we don't know how difficult it is. All we know is he has a descent plan, and he and Verk have not wrestled off yet. The descent plan could be very cautious because Berge wrestled at Jr Worlds in September.

No need for wrestle offs at 149 and 285 with the Keystone Classic next weekend. For all we know Cael pulled names out of a hat at those weights to choose a starter for Sunday.

Regarding Berge's weight cut, we don't know how difficult it is. All we know is he has a descent plan, and he and Verk have not wrestled off yet. The descent plan could be very cautious because Berge wrestled at Jr Worlds in September.

No need for wrestle offs at 149 and 285 with the Keystone Classic next weekend. For all we know Cael pulled names out of a hat at those weights to choose a starter for Sunday.
I know...there was no hat :);)!

Really would like to see PSU and Iowa make it happen again in arranging a dual when the B1G doesn’t. Top two teams and get ESPN to televise. Friday, December 21, 2018 at Rec Hall looks pretty good to me, guys.....

1) That the basketball games preceding the wrestling matches on BTN don't run into overtime.

Other than that, I'm good. Cael has this.
+10000000000000000000000000

They could take 947 timeouts away from
Basketball and they’d still be allotted more timeouts than Pitt claims national championships in football.

I actually timed the last 2 minutes of a game one time. It took 34 actual minutes. A total nightmare and the game wasn’t even that close. Lead hovered around 9 points

Really would like to see PSU and Iowa make it happen again in arranging a dual when the B1G doesn’t. Top two teams and get ESPN to televise. Friday, December 21, 2018 at Rec Hall looks pretty good to me, guys.....
The Brands Bros. will when the have a team that can win.

Reactions: danoftw
My only conern is that they haven’t figured out how to park people at the BJC yet and I’ll be stuck on the highway again as the Michigan match starts

Pulled names out of a hat? Any possibility we can get Pyles to ask Cael if that is true?

Reactions: diggerpup
The only way Tom brings his Hawkeye wrestling team to State College to compete against a Cael coached Penn State wrestling team is if Penn State offers Iowa an appearance fee large enough that Iowa's athletic department can not ignore it or if Tom has an unquestionably superior team. So basically, only if Iowa gets an appearance fee.

The only way Tom brings his Hawkeye wrestling team to State College to compete against a Cael coached Penn State wrestling team is if Penn State offers Iowa an appearance fee large enough that Iowa's athletic department can not ignore it or if Tom has an unquestionably superior team. So basically, only if Iowa gets an appearance fee.

You are just pulling shit out of your ass!

Actually, he's not. Have you already forgotten how Brands wouldn't enter a couple of the national duals a few years back because, in his own words, "we aren't good enough to compete in that right now."? They don't seem to take duals that they don't believe that they can win. There IS INDEED history there.

With that said, the present PSU lineup (as of today) would likely have all that they could handle to beat Iowa, so they should take the challenge.

Actually, he's not. Have you already forgotten how Brands wouldn't enter a couple of the national duals a few years back because, in his own words, "we aren't good enough to compete in that right now."? They don't seem to take duals that they don't believe that they can win. There IS INDEED history there.

With that said, the present PSU lineup (as of today) would likely have all that they could handle to beat Iowa, so they should take the challenge.
UNI should challenge PSU in the west gym

UNI should challenge PSU in the west gym
Do you actually think that UNI WOULDN'T take that match!?

Not that we have a hard time selling out right now, but given the fact that that dual would (1) be a filled to the rafters sell out and (2) the best possible advertisement for UNI wrestling that we could get (outside of the Sqwawkers) and (3) allow us to test our skills against the best, UNI and Schwab would jump at the opportunity in a heartbeat. I promise you that.

UNI has always taken on top competition at home, for those very reasons.

Do you actually think that UNI WOULDN'T take that match!?

Not that we have a hard time selling out right now, but given the fact that that dual would (1) be a filled to the rafters sell out and (2) the best possible advertisement for UNI wrestling that we could get (outside of the Sqwawkers) and (3) allow us to test our skills against the best, UNI and Schwab would jump at the opportunity in a heartbeat. I promise you that.

UNI has always taken on top competition at home, for those very reasons.

I wish cody enjoyed trolling as much as I do....because on years where PSU and Iowa dont happen AND brands wont do the right thing......they should do a tri meet with ISU and UNI in iowa.

Then take the team to the gable museum and make sure the intranet is pounded with marketing materials.

I wish cody enjoyed trolling as much as I do....because on years where PSU and Iowa dont happen AND brands wont do the right thing......they should do a tri meet with ISU and UNI in iowa.

Then take the team to the gable museum and make sure the intranet is pounded with marketing materials.
Absolutely! It's a win-win-win for all parties involved. Cael's return to Ames-he's still hugely respected and liked there-and three teams that all get to dual good competition.

The Gahbell museum is a good idea. People would show up in droves to see Cael and the PSU team.

+10000000000000000000000000

They could take 947 timeouts away from
Basketball and they’d still be allotted more timeouts than Pitt claims national championships in football.

I actually timed the last 2 minutes of a game one time. It took 34 actual minutes. A total nightmare and the game wasn’t even that close. Lead hovered around 9 points

CT ... I know the game you are referencing (assuming it was before a BTN televised PSU dual)

it was about 3-4 years ago, was a Northwestern game (cant recall who they were playing, but both teams were bad)

I believe the dual came on TV after the 133 bout ... so effing annoying

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
So, you would think someone would realize that the game was running over and PUT OFF STARTING THE DUAL??
Surely it wouldnt matter if it ran over its time slot, right?

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Anyone else notice Nick Lee's leg? He looked better and more physical than ever but it was taped up. The only thing that could slow up this team is a injury or two.

Yeah ok.
Two times in the past 4 seasons Penn State and Iowa have not been on each other's Big10 schedule. Fact
The first time the two were not on each other's Big10 schedule Penn State traveled to Iowa to wrestle a non Big10 dual. So Iowa owes Penn State a match. Fact.
The only reason the dual has not been scheduled the last two cycles is only because Iowa would not agree to travel to Penn State to wrestle. Fact

You can choose to believe whatever reason you want to believe to explain Brands' refusal to travel to Penn State. I choose to believe he knows he can't win, so why bother and it protects his team's seeds.

If possible, maybe you could articulate (having or showing the ability to speak fluently and coherently) an alternative (available as another posiibility) explanation as to why Tom elects to not have his team travel to State College and compete against Penn State.

Last edited:
Yes, now I know why Iowa will not travel to SC.... it would be too much to endure prior to the holidays.

Yes, now I know why Iowa will not travel to SC.... it would be too much to endure prior to the holidays.

Plus, this way the HR fans can go all the way into March with dreams of a championship, instead of having their dreams crushed earlier in the season.

Reactions: Ranger Dan and Ski
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT