ADVERTISEMENT

2018/19 lineup speculation

It would be a challenge to get back to 197 again, but not impossible. Ira Lubert weighed around 250 as I recall in the Dave Joyner Hwt days, and pulled down to 190 for his senior year! Now, I have to admit, he looked VERY different at 190, but he made it and wrestled.

A few years ago this guy started an adult wrestling tournament for charity in the area. The first year I wrestled 215lbs in it. The next year I wrestled 145lbs. Surprisingly I did better at 215lbs and didn't leave the place hurt.

Wasn't his junior year the year that his coaches goofed up his descent plan (when he bumped for a dual) and he was not allowed to wrestle at 145lbs and he chose to not wrestle off for the 152lbs spot and was out in the post season?

I checked and you are right, it was his brother that finished 4th at 152 in 2016, I do remember that now as Jarod didn't want to wrestle off for the 152 spot because it was his brother.

I checked and you are right, it was his brother that finished 4th at 152 in 2016, I do remember that now as Jarod didn't want to wrestle off for the 152 spot because it was his brother.

It's unlikely he would have won the 145lb title that year regardless, though. He would have had to go through Cam Coy who I believe had already beaten him that year if I am not mistaken.

Jarod wrestled 145 in the state tournament all three years he wrestled (FR, SO, and SR). I find that interesting, as most grow.

I think Cael is a much simpler strategist and this seems like overthinking the lineup. We'll likely see

125: Teske/Teasdale
133: RBY
141: Nick Lee
149: Berge/Verk
157: Nolf
165: Cenzo
174: Hall
184: Nickal
197: Rasheed/Cassar platoon
HWT: Nevills

Agree on the Cael observation but he has been known to shirt the house if the team is falling short and it ends up creating the mini dynasty. It might be a consideration in 2019, but not this year.

That said, the above is more than conservative. Pretty much the lineup the instant Nationals ended in March and it reflects virtually every current rumor as false - Teas Weight, Berge weight, Bo weight & swap with Shak, Cassar weight, Nevills injury. Maybe these are all false but there is not much fun listed here.

Agree on the Cael observation but he has been known to shirt the house if the team is falling short and it ends up creating the mini dynasty. It might be a consideration in 2019, but not this year.

That said, the above is more than conservative. Pretty much the lineup the instant Nationals ended in March and it reflects virtually every current rumor as false - Teas Weight, Berge weight, Bo weight & swap with Shak, Cassar weight, Nevills injury. Maybe these are all false but there is not much fun listed here.
Plenty of fun in my book, though any listing of any Penn State Wrestlers is fun to me.

Re. (I believe) your reference to the redshirts in 2015... all factors considered, there will not be a situation like that as far into the future as I can see.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ja1339 and nitlion6

Agreed that this is a very conservative lineup that I posted, but I think Cael is a pretty conservative coach. You can point to a few examples of him taking some risks (the year he had Nico and Zain on RS) and pulling Mark Halls redshirt for the 2017 title. But, those were fairly low risks and not all that crazy.

I could be way wrong, but to me Cael has always seemed like a guy who plays it pretty straightforward.

EDIT: By conservative I don't mean the way PSU wrestles on the mat. It's anything but. I'm referring to how Cael manages the program/lineup.

Agreed that this is a very conservative lineup that I posted, but I think Cael is a pretty conservative coach. You can point to a few examples of him taking some risks (the year he had Nico and Zain on RS) and pulling Mark Halls redshirt for the 2017 title. But, those were fairly low risks and not all that crazy.

I could be way wrong, but to me Cael has always seemed like a guy who plays it pretty straightforward.

EDIT: By conservative I don't mean the way PSU wrestles on the mat. It's anything but. I'm referring to how Cael manages the program/lineup.

I think he shirted Zain, Nico, Nolf and Nickal that year. He might of have had his string of NCs remain unbroken but he was able to project out 4 years as well as see what another year in the room would mean to all. Ballsy but it paid off big time especially last year and this year. I thinl at the time the move was viewed as a bit radical and led to the Piles peed his pants interview.

Last edited:
A few years ago this guy started an adult wrestling tournament for charity in the area. The first year I wrestled 215lbs in it. The next year I wrestled 145lbs. Surprisingly I did better at 215lbs and didn't leave the place hurt.
That's a lot of weight loss in one year (33%). I trust it was voluntary! :)

I think he shirted Zain, Nico, Nolf and Nickal that year. He might of have had his string of NCs remain unbroken but he was able to project out 4 years as well as see what another year in the room would mean to all. Ballsy but it paid off big time especially last year and this year. I thinl at the time the move was viewed as a bit radical and led to the Piles peed his pants interview.
I believe he also shirted Nick Nevills that year.

Wasn't his junior year the year that his coaches goofed up his descent plan (when he bumped for a dual) and he was not allowed to wrestle at 145lbs and he chose to not wrestle off for the 152lbs spot and was out in the post season?
Verk was told he could weigh in at 152 lbs and wrestle at 160, and he was told this wouldn't affect his descent to 145 for the post season. He was told wrong. Then it got crazy. If I recall correctly, Verk's brother was at 152. What's he gonna do, wrestle off with his brother? So he requested a wrestle-off at 160 and the coach denied that. I think it went to court. Verk didn't wrestle in the post season and went to Hempfield for his senior year.

yea, what a mess. Rules to protect manipulation and it caught an honest mistake...

Interesting thought.. If Nick is really UNABLE to wrestle this year.. truly hurt.... and if Seth manhandles AC... does Seth go as a frosh?

Interesting thought.. If Nick is really UNABLE to wrestle this year.. truly hurt.... and if Seth manhandles AC... does Seth go as a frosh?
I would think not - and I would advise Cael against it (if I was brave enough to have a plan and expound on it in front of His Caelness). We don’t need huge points this year at heavy and we’d save a hypothetically better Seth for when we lose major points at the end of the year.

I would think not - and I would advise Cael against it (if I was brave enough to have a plan and expound on it in front of His Caelness). We don’t need huge points this year at heavy and we’d save a hypothetically better Seth for when we lose major points at the end of the year.

I agree totally, with CMT’s plan as well as not really telling Cael I might have a better plan!

I'm not really sure what your trying to say? But he has looked the same physically for years so, he "peaked " early when it comes to physical stature.
What I thought you intended when stating he peaked early physically, is that he matured early and had less upside. Sort of like the kid that can grow a beard at age 12, then gets passed by others, talent-wise, by the time they reach their later teen years.

From everything I hear, Jarod continues to develop and improve at a nice rate.

Reactions: Maddog
I'm not really sure what your trying to say? But he has looked the same physically for years so, he "peaked " early when it comes to physical stature.

Just wanted to be clear he wasn’t the typical freshman age wise, that’s all, no special info on Verk’s physical development . Sorry

My understanding is Johnson will be up for major play time for football this year
Agree, the Jan Johnson being a factor on the wrestling team ship has sailed...has improved a lot as a football player.

Or Seth going this year and redshirting next year with Nick trying to get a medical 6th year to go next year. Seth might not have as much time in the room as AC, but he’s been working out with Nick for his whole life and the last time I saw them together Seth was at least 10-15 lbs heavier and 2 inches taller than Nick.

Or Seth going this year and redshirting next year with Nick trying to get a medical 6th year to go next year. Seth might not have as much time in the room as AC, but he’s been working out with Nick for his whole life and the last time I saw them together Seth was at least 10-15 lbs heavier and 2 inches taller than Nick.
Was Nick hurt his FR year?
I can’t remember.

As this is a message board, and anything can happen, I’ll go with:
125-Teske
133-Teasdale
141-RBY, N Lee RS and goes to 149 next year
149-Berge
157-Nolf
165-Cenzo
174-Hall
184-Rasheed
197-Bo
HWT-Neville’s
How much better would AC be as an undersized HWT than Jan Johnson? There is only one Kyle Snyder.

As this is a message board, and anything can happen, I’ll go with:
125-Teske
133-Teasdale
141-RBY, N Lee RS and goes to 149 next year
149-Berge
157-Nolf
165-Cenzo
174-Hall
184-Rasheed
197-Bo
HWT-Neville’s
How much better would AC be as an undersized HWT than Jan Johnson? There is only one Kyle Snyder.

None of the returning Hwts are close to Snyder ... so?

@jack66 my point was there has been discussion on AC going up to HWT and I just don’t see it. You are correct. It’s not about challenging a Snyder, it’s about finding a spot in the lineup. If wrestling this year is an imperative, then AC should go for 197. Is Bo to 197 final? Can Shakur make 184? Is NN healthy? All variables that will be resolved in the fall. Hell, I wouldn’t be surprised if AC transferred. If he can’t beat Shakur and Bo picks 197 that might be his best option. Glad my post got your attention. Good to know I’m not the only fan on the board on this blazing Sunday morning.

@jack66 my point was there has been discussion on AC going up to HWT and I just don’t see it. You are correct. It’s not about challenging a Snyder, it’s about finding a spot in the lineup. If wrestling this year is an imperative, then AC should go for 197. Is Bo to 197 final? Can Shakur make 184? Is NN healthy? All variables that will be resolved in the fall. Hell, I wouldn’t be surprised if AC transferred. If he can’t beat Shakur and Bo picks 197 that might be his best option. Glad my post got your attention. Good to know I’m not the only fan on the board on this blazing Sunday morning.

Your line-up could very well happen, though I think only 2 of Teske. RBY and Teasdale wrestle.

As for Cassar, I think he could AA at either 197 or Hwt. The bigger question is whether or not he can win a spot in our line-up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT