ADVERTISEMENT

2017 Recruiting Class Thread

If we can get TCF, I think we have two more after that and we can still finish strong and stay in the top 20 for this class, which is AMAZING for this program, considering we don't process, don't oversign, and don't cheat.

No reason to believe Cabinda & Bowen won't be starters. Not sure Brown will play ahead of Farmer. I hope Cooper comes back healthy and improved. J. Thomas is a wildcard. Rivers could redshirt. Will be interesting to see if they move somebody like Toney.

I think you take a look at the situation, and only one of the incoming linebackers should be shirted. Just too thin, and you need to learn from last year. You simply cannot red light all three of these kids, if you know what can happen, based on last year.

CJF said that this off season will be big for Cooper. I don't believe Cooper has the speed to play outside an cover receivers, and his play so far at PSU has not been great. He is young but I don't see him beating out Brown on the outside. I believe there is a better chance that Smith would start inside and Cabinda starts outside, but I believe the most likely outcome for 2017 is Farmer and Brown competing to start outside with Cooper as a reserve inside and outside and then possibly starting at MLB in 2018:
SLB - Bowen, Farmer/Brown/Cooper,
WLB - Farmer or Brown, Farmer/Brown/Cooper, Faison-Walden
MLB - Cabinda, Smith, Cooper, Rivers

Although Toney looks like a LB, he was the scout team MVP at DE and will be at DE until CJF says otherwise.
Hopefully we'll have more answers after signing day and the BW game. We look so deep at DE it's just hard for me to imagine Toney is going to have a chance to make an impact for at least two more years, and a limited one even then, due to his size. WLB would seem a good fit for him, but I'm no coach and I don't go to practices. Reading the practice reports, he sounds like a guy you'd want to get on the field somewhere.

Faison - Walden very much impressed me with his highlights. I expect to see him wearing a #11 at some point. Rivers looks solid as well. Franklin looks like a SLB.

Hopefully we'll have more answers after signing day and the BW game. We look so deep at DE it's just hard for me to imagine Toney is going to have a chance to make an impact for at least two more years, and a limited one even then, due to his size. WLB would seem a good fit for him, but I'm no coach and I don't go to practices. Reading the practice reports, he sounds like a guy you'd want to get on the field somewhere.

Faison - Walden very much impressed me with his highlights. I expect to see him wearing a #11 at some point. Rivers looks solid as well. Franklin looks like a SLB.

Yep, we here have been talking about Toney moving to LB for over a year, but so far he's a DE.

Franklin looks a legit 6'2"+ with a big frame that will develop great in the S&C program and hopefully put him on the field in 2018.

If Faison-Walden impresses this spring at OLB, Cooper could possibly redshirt in 2017 and compete inside for 2018-2019, as it's unlikely he gets playing time inside in 2017 with Cabinda and Smith returning. Cooper doesn't look to have OLB speed and coverage ability, but if CJF ends up getting 4 LB's for 2017 Cooper probably plays out his career as we'll have lots of competition in 2018 so his odds of playing may not be better in 2018.....

Last edited:
I believe we are looking at this next year: Starters--Cabinda at the mike, Bowen at the Sam, and Brown at the Will. 2nd unit will be Smith at the mike, Farmer at the Will, and Rivers/Miller at the Sam. Thomas and Cooper are depth, and hopefully Vranec comes back for more depth. Jan Johnson has given up football to concentrate on wrestling, Toney is still a defensive end, and everyone else is a true freshman.

Edit: I meant Bowen at the Will, and Brown at the Sam. Farmer backing up Brown at the Sam, also. Smith still backup Mike, and Miller running 2nd team at the Will. Rivers and BFW get green lighted, Waldon gets a yellow. Cannot afford to red light anybody, still paper thin, unless three players move. I count one so far, in Miller, nothing else at the moment. Find out more in March I suppose.
March? You don't know already? That's odd.

Alabama had a DB decommit yesterday, but Reddit bama fans seem to think they are still full at DB fwiw.

DetectiveWood 3 points 14 hours ago

Not a DB prospect. I think we are done at DB. We have a list of six that we want and need to make room for. Solomon, Mathis, Ruggs, Devonte Smith, Parks, and Labryan Ray.

Ive screwed some spelling up. Solomon is gonna be iffy but we favor the rest.

BaughSoHarUniversity 1 point 12 hours ago

No room for Tariq Castro-Fields?

Not definitive, but radio silence from Josh Paschal's twitter account re PSU official visit. Calls himself a UK verbal on his twitter profile, only activity is retweeting UK stuff this month.

Haven't seen or read anything to make you optimistic at this point.

He always was a long shot, given his brother's association there. I imagine that if younger brother decommitted and went somewhere else that older brother's position would be very uncomfortable.

Gonna lose the one recruit we absolutely can't afford to lose. Awful recruiting at this position.

Gonna lose the one recruit we absolutely can't afford to lose. Awful recruiting at this position.

Not much you can do. Pretty crappy if true this late in the game. Nobody really valid has backed this yet either.

Sorry; this is too cryptic for my simple mind.
Which recruit (a commit or is it an uncommitted prospect) are we talking about here?

Very tough loss. Might be the hardest loss of the recruiting season, since we're so thin at linebacker and now down to only 2 scholarship linebackers in this class. Safe to say that it will be very, very hard to redshirt both of our incoming linebackers right now. Franklin still COULD redshirt them, but we are now as thin as could possibly be.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Rivers is gone. He wants to inform Franklin and Pry in person after being committed so long. Expected to be after the new year. The resurgence of Tech, playing for his home state, and the fact that his girlfriend is already enrolled played major roles.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT