ADVERTISEMENT

2017 Recruiting Class Thread

PSU is paying Franklin handsomely to convince recruits that they will be able to compete for a B1G title in the next few years. He got off to a great start by signing the 25th ranked class in 2014 (before the sanctions were lifted). He did great again by signing the 15th ranked class in 2015. Good momentum! The 2016 class started out even better but we lost several players late and missed out at some positions of need before finishing 24th. This year is off to a slow start currently ranked 22nd. The concern isn't that we only have 8 verbals. It's that a lot of top prospects have committed or are leaning elsewhere. The ship isn't sinking but the momentum seems to have gotten away from us. Time will tell.

Slow start? Half of the current kids have AA game invites. WhoTF grades a class in May anyway? Not a single coach in the top 25 salary wise faced what Franklin did from a PR and talent standpoint the last few years/decades. You are acting as if he inherited a top 10 program. If it were 1987, you may have been on to something. PSU was lucky to stay above 500, but we have some fans that act like nothing happened.

PSU is paying our coach a fair market value for the many duties and responsibilities that go with the position. I have absolutely no doubt that our coach works as hard as any coach in the country and is a well spoken representative of our University. I get really sick of the whinners who act like CJF is over paid and that top recruiting classes are predicated by the amount of a coaches salary

Who cares about the money PSU pays him. I do not care if football is break even for PSU. Let's have a great football team and program.

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
PSU is paying our coach a fair market value for the many duties and responsibilities that go with the position. I have absolutely no doubt that our coach works as hard as any coach in the country and is a well spoken representative of our University. I get really sick of the whinners who act like CJF is over paid and that top recruiting classes are predicated by the amount of a coaches salary

That's an unfair comment. I didn't complain that Franklin was paid too much. I simply pointed out that he's the 8th highest paid coach in the country and that I think we should eventually expect PSU's on field results to be commensurate with his pay. I don't think 9 wins and a top 15 recruiting class is too much to expect at this point in the recovery process. You can set the bar lower if you want but I disagree.

That's an unfair comment. I didn't complain that Franklin was paid too much. I simply pointed out that he's the 8th highest paid coach in the country and that I think we should eventually expect PSU's on field results to be commensurate with his pay. I don't think 9 wins and a top 15 recruiting class is too much to expect at this point in the recovery process. You can set the bar lower if you want but I disagree.

Well his recruiting rankings from 2014 to 2016 were 25th, 15th, and 20th. He is currently 21st with with an avg star ranking higher than Michigan. By any rational standard, he has exceeded expectations. To offer the level of criticism that you appear to do on this site makes me think there is an irrational emotional component to your analysis.

PS I think you'll get your wish of a 9 win season and a top 15 recruiting class which will once again exceed any rational expectations.

Test the air raid siren

emergency-3.jpg

Offers from PSU, Auburn, Florida, Michigan, Ohio State, Tennessee, etc.

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
PSU is paying Franklin handsomely to convince recruits that they will be able to compete for a B1G title in the next few years. He got off to a great start by signing the 25th ranked class in 2014 (before the sanctions were lifted). He did great again by signing the 15th ranked class in 2015. Good momentum! The 2016 class started out even better but we lost several players late and missed out at some positions of need before finishing 24th. This year is off to a slow start currently ranked 22nd. The concern isn't that we only have 8 verbals. It's that a lot of top prospects have committed or are leaning elsewhere. The ship isn't sinking but the momentum seems to have gotten away from us. Time will tell.

perfect description of you..... nattering nabobs of negativism..... the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history.

Reactions: royboy
So what will the naysayers say if Dotson and Wade commit. Once recruits see the offense in action, likely more will fall in-line. Same with the defense. Be patient naysays, but I'm sure that y'all will fault anyways.

Reactions: MahaloT and 81b&w
I wonder what this is based off of considering the trend of CBs to PSU and Dotson's plan for a return visit.

Crystal Ball by Jeremy Birmingham (Ohio State insider) put in for Matt Dotson to Michigan State

Well....Definitely think this one will come down to Penn State and Michigan State and I give us the advantage at the moment

I think some of these crystal balls are hopes of the person. The tO$U guy knows he's not headed to tO$U so he hopes against PSU.

Read where his top 6 were Tennessee, Clemson, Virginia, VA Tech, USC, and Penn State so one will be eliminated.

2017 Athlete, Lynn Bowden, from Ohio visiting PSU today according to Fitz. 6'1", 185. Being recruited as RB or hybrid H-back whatever that is. Plays QB at Warren Harding High. Ran for 1800 and 20 TDs, threw for 600 last year. Offers from Tenn, Mich, Wisc and others.

Free video at 247. Kid's quick and can makem' miss. Harding is bigtime Ohio FB, right?

Last edited:
Reactions: ChiTownLion
2017 Athlete, Lynn Bowden, from Ohio visiting PSU today according to Fitz. 6'1", 185. Being recruited as RB or hybrid H-back whatever that is. Plays QB at Warren Harding High. Ran for 1800 and 20 TDs, threw for 600 last year. Offers from Tenn, Mich, Wisc and others.

Free video at 247. Kid's quick and can makem' miss. Harding is bigtime Ohio FB, right?

We don't seem to do well with ATH types - when was the last time one really found a home and did well? I think Koa Farmer is in that boat, but he still has some time to find a spot and shine.

Random question:
4-star Ohio athlete, Lynn Bowden is visiting Penn State today. Does anyone know if he has connections to Michigan State? Like family or anything?

Reason I am asking, is because he has 6 CB's all to Michigan State, but has yet to get an offer from the Spartans. Normally when someone is that favored to one school without an offer from that school yet, there is something behind it.

Random question:
4-star Ohio athlete, Lynn Bowden is visiting Penn State today. Does anyone know if he has connections to Michigan State? Like family or anything?

Reason I am asking, is because he has 6 CB's all to Michigan State, but has yet to get an offer from the Spartans. Normally when someone is that favored to one school without an offer from that school yet, there is something behind it.
Interesting that Michigan State doesn't offer him considering he's a 4 stars and all of the current Michigan State recruits are 3 stars.

Random question:

Bowden decommitted from Indiana shortly after taking in Michigan State's spring game. That may be the reason that people are jumping to the conclusion that Mich State is his leader. I don't know of any special connections.

Hey that's our line when a commit decommits.

With PSU it's usually either grades or other off-the-field stuff.

With Bowden, maybe he told the Indiana staff that he wouldn't engage with other schools after he committed, he did, and they cut him loose.

Any number of reasons.

Random question:

Really, these CBs are mostly nonsense. They can switch their CB anytime; don't even know why they bother. Fitz or nothing for me.

The sanctions were indeed devastating but that's behind us. Franklin is the 8th highest paid coach in the country and the highest paid public employee in Pennsylvania. It's his job to rebuild the program by bringing in top talent. He's the one that coined the phrase "dominate the state". Nobody expected him to be able to do that overnight but they do expect consistent improvement.

I completely agree that we shouldn't get too excited abut any one recruit. The concern that some are having is that Franklin's early recruiting momentum seems to be slipping. We lost a few high rated recruits late last year and our team ranking slipped to 24th. We got the top 2 in PA but none of the remaining top 10. Michigan dominated NJ. It's early for 2017 but PSU is currently ranked 22nd by Rivals and we're not exactly dominating the state at this point. We're not doing well in NJ either.

Things aren't horrible. PSU has been one of the top 4 in B1G recruiting the past few years. Just not quite as high as we hoped and the momentum could be better. Let's see how Franklin does on the field this fall and how he finishes the 2017 class. 9 wins and a 15th ranked class would be a step in the right direction. 7-8 wins and another 24th rated class wouldn't sit well with most fans.
Coach Franklin is also a top 5 coach and hence the high pay is justified. Who else could have been so successful at Vandy? Kids want to go to war with Coach Franklin. They love the guy

Really, these CBs are mostly nonsense. They can switch their CB anytime; don't even know why they bother. Fitz or nothing for me.

I used to think that way, but recruits change their minds. PSU has led for recruits before and they ended up elsewhere. PSU was also trailing certain schools until a kids visit. Fitz really only deals with the PSU targets for the most part and he is pretty much dea on when he puts one in for PSU or swaps it out. I'm not sure why anyone would expect them to keep the CB the same if they know a kid has changed their mind. That would be even worse.

I used to think that way, but recruits change their minds. PSU has led for recruits before and they ended up elsewhere. PSU was also trailing certain schools until a kids visit. Fitz really only deals with the PSU targets for the most part and he is pretty much dea on when he puts one in for PSU or swaps it out. I'm not sure why anyone would expect them to keep the CB the same if they know a kid has changed their mind. That would be even worse.
Actually, we sort of agree. The CBs are worthless and just a tool to create attention to the website.

Actually, we sort of agree. The CBs are worthless and just a tool to create attention to the website.

Well they kind of update you where a kid stands. There are certain guys you learn to ignore early on like Tom Loy who CB's any ND offer early on to ND and gives bogus reasons as to why they will end up a Domer. That site due to Fitz and Ryan here on BWI are the best two sources in terms of PSU recruiting.

Hey that's our line when a commit decommits.
If you read his statement when he de-commits you can tell something happened. I really have no idea. It is telling that schools seem to be steering clear of him. No offer from MSU. No offer from Pitt when the kid plays HS ball in Narduzzi's home town.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT