ADVERTISEMENT

2005 Michigan vs. PSU game bad calls in GIFS

IIRC during the 2005 Mich game, WR, Arrington I believe had that size 15 foot half way out of bounds when he caught a pass during the final drive. Clearly, out of bounds, no doubt about it. The ref was standing 20 feet up field right on the white line and called it a legitimate catch.

It was Avant and it was on the 1st play of scUM's final scoring drive which began with only 42 seconds remaining and the clearly illegitimate catch (which then was reviewed despite overwhelming video evidence demonstrating his first landing foot clearly landed OB) accounted for fully one--third of the TD drive's yards (and scUM needed a TD, FG did nothing, so the illegitimate yardage with only 37 seconds remaining after play was collosally huge).

Reactions: mn78psu83
Also compare this TD that they allow to stand to the ticky-tack holding call they threw behind Saquon Barkley's TD run this year to wipe out a PSU TD and 10-0 PSU lead...

Yep, no "inconsistency" in the way b1g shiz-hole ten games are called...LMFAO.
If you grab the guy in the back and hold on to his jersey for dear life is that technically holding? I mean isn't it outside of the shoulder pads if you are holding on to the guy on the back numbers? Or is that still inside the shoulder pads, just the back of the shoulder pads? It looks like #77 grabs Mauti right on his number 2 while pushing down on his upper back with his other hand. Is that Mauti's fault for beating the guy to the spot to make the play? :confused:

I believe '99 also had the phantom interference penalty on Brandon Short.

I was just looking at that play. Penn State was up 10 with 7:30 left to go in the game. 3rd and 8, incomplete pass. Michigan would have had to punt and give the ball back to PSU. Very late flag. They do not show a replay of the call during the telecast that I saw. I remember seeing a view of the call from the end zone, but I don't remember if that was later during the telecast or from some other source.

Look at Dan Connor (#40) in the middle. He gets jumped on from behind. Thought I already saw everything in that play, but never noticed that "block" before.
Made it really difficult for #40 to help make the play after he was tackled from behind.
I was just looking at that play. Penn State was up 10 with 7:30 left to go in the game. 3rd and 8, incomplete pass. Michigan would have had to punt and give the ball back to PSU. Very late flag. They do not show a replay of the call during the telecast that I saw. I remember seeing a view of the call from the end zone, but I don't remember if that was later during the telecast or from some other source.
Also, LaVar was inches from the sack on that play and Brady just heaved it. I can see that play clear as day. Had a perfect view from the seats.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChiTownLion

They called a 2nd bogus PI for a 1st Down on a 3rd-&-forever incompletion in this same drive - there was no real contact and the ball was thrown literally 20 to 25 yards beyond where the scUM receiver and PSU DB were at.... Was at the game. Many other attrocities in this game including CB and LA being ripped down by their shoulder pads or jerseys as well as outright tackled while pressuring the edge literally all day long - no flags, not a one.

You a Michigan fan? Show me a missed turnover for Penn State in the 4th quarter of one of our games. Give me the gif.

Don't give me theoretical situations. We're showing you blatant missed calls. Give us the same thing going the other direction.

One Buckeye fan did show me LB Bell poking their QB in the eye, looking like it was intentional. Kudos. He should have been penalized or thrown out of the game for that. That was one. I could also see how something like that happening in a pile could be missed. Not so much all of these others.

He can't. He likes to talk in generalities to support his argument. Like I've asked before, let's see some specifics. He won't find any.
Buckeye. And I've shown one blatantly bad call against Ohio State already (2007 Illinois non-fumble), but apparently that one didn't count for reasons I still don't understand. There was a "fumble" against Purdue a few years back, Braxton Miller was on the ball laying flat on the ground, but apparently wasn't down yet. There's more missed holding calls than I can mention. I literally see half a dozen every single game. No, I don't have gifs because I don't feel the need to collect them and show every single missed call against Ohio State ever.

And, there's the stats. That say that going back to 2000 (when the stats are easily accessible - http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/) Ohio State is called for 5.8 penalties for 50.6 yards a game against Penn State, while Penn State is called for 3.6 penalties for 28.1 yards a game against Ohio State.

Buckeye. And I've shown one blatantly bad call against Ohio State already (2007 Illinois non-fumble), but apparently that one didn't count for reasons I still don't understand. There was a "fumble" against Purdue a few years back, Braxton Miller was on the ball laying flat on the ground, but apparently wasn't down yet. There's more missed holding calls than I can mention. I literally see half a dozen every single game. No, I don't have gifs because I don't feel the need to collect them and show every single missed call against Ohio State ever.

And, there's the stats. That say that going back to 2000 (when the stats are easily accessible - http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/) Ohio State is called for 5.8 penalties for 50.6 yards a game against Penn State, while Penn State is called for 3.6 penalties for 28.1 yards a game against Ohio State.
Have you not been looking at the Judge's vids? Bad calls are not always measured by the the number of calls that are made but often by the ones that are not made or are simply made wrong (e.g., poor ball placement). Just because you can't quantitate them with an official stat doesn't mean they never happened.

Have you not been looking at the Judge's vids? Bad calls are not always measured by the the number of calls that are made but often by the ones that are not made or are simply made wrong (e.g., poor ball placement). Just because you can't quantitate them with an official stat doesn't mean they never happened.
Just because he has videos doesn't mean those calls don't go against other teams. As I mentioned, I don't collect gifs of missed call. I often forget about them as soon as the next play starts. That doesn't mean they don't happen.

As I said earlier, there may have been a crew or a subset of a crew with a bias against Penn State. They could have purposely or subliminally made bad calls throughout the course of a game or games they were assigned. Completely plausible.

However, once that happens....every bad call or missed call after that becomes confirmation bias. You have that terrible non-fumble of Mike Hart in 2005, I have the terrible non-fumble of Daniel Dufrene in 2007. Missed holding, missed pass interference...none of those are proof of anything sinister. They're proof of incompetent officiating. In case you hadn't noticed, that is epidemic throughout college and professional football.

Very nice that you can find many/most of our full games on Youtube now.

Using TECHMOLOGY

ali-g.png

...going to go back through some of these games and then we can put a little meat behind some of the arguments about the officiating we've received. Then we can move, hopefully, beyond the HERP DERP CONSPIRACY LOL TIN FOIL HAT comments. But probably not, right?

The 2005 game was notable for the horrible spots we received throughout, and a crucial fumble by Mike Hart in Michigan territory in the 4th. The call was not reviewed, though replay was available at the time. I didn't included all the bad spots, there were more.

Face mask missed in the 1st
Bjqncn.gif

Very helpful spot for Michigan on 3rd down in their territory.
pMCx94.gif

Of course, the spots for us went the other way. Catches the ball on the other side of the sticks, and this ref marked even back beyond where he was put on the ground after being forced backwards. Should have been a first down.

7IlluD.gif

This was the "crooked walk" from this ref that was commented on by the announcer. Looked like he came up just short of the first down, in Michigan territory, on 3rd down. The gif can be only 5 seconds, but the ref continued walking on an angle to mark him for a first down. Would have been a punt.

QFrVNF.gif

This was the killer. Ball was clearly knocked out before Hart was down, and Penn State recovered it. Would have been PSU ball in Michigan territory in the 4th quarter. Believe Michigan scored a field goal on this drive. Should have been reviewed at minimum, was not reviewed. If that is called correctly, or reviewed as it should have been, PSU probably wins the game and goes undefeated that season, making it to the National Championship game. We finished the season 12-1, ranked #3.

2mX-76.gif
Hah! You think that's something?
You ain't seen nothin' yet. The B10 is literally slobbering over the possibility of the UM-OSU game deciding a playoff bid. Even if UM has a just small chance, OSU needs a win against a highly ranked team to sew it up.

Hah! You think that's something?
You ain't seen nothin' yet. The B10 is literally slobbering over the possibility of the UM-OSU game deciding a playoff bid. Even if UM has a just small chance, OSU needs a win against a highly ranked team to sew it up.

Douchey Delany is probably waxing his pole just thinking about it....

Wasn't there also a blown call on pass/fumble? I think Kerry Collins was involved but maybe not? Something like the ball went forward as he was passing but referines called it a fumble and somehow they ended up with the ball and scored? Obviously not in '99 but fits in this genre.

basically, the prosecutor presents Dave with all of this evidence that OJ is guilty and Dave one by one shoots everything down...."Yes, but that doesn't convince me he's guilty. Everybody probably has a bloody glove at home."
:D

If I recall he also did one like that for R. Kelly? Great stuff!

Just because he has videos doesn't mean those calls don't go against other teams. As I mentioned, I don't collect gifs of missed call. I often forget about them as soon as the next play starts. That doesn't mean they don't happen.

As I said earlier, there may have been a crew or a subset of a crew with a bias against Penn State. They could have purposely or subliminally made bad calls throughout the course of a game or games they were assigned. Completely plausible.

However, once that happens....every bad call or missed call after that becomes confirmation bias. You have that terrible non-fumble of Mike Hart in 2005, I have the terrible non-fumble of Daniel Dufrene in 2007. Missed holding, missed pass interference...none of those are proof of anything sinister. They're proof of incompetent officiating. In case you hadn't noticed, that is epidemic throughout college and professional football.
^^ This debate has already played out at Big Ten headquarters. Our concerns were validated by the implementation of instant replay.

Maybe catch up on some background history:

Very nice that you can find many/most of our full games on Youtube now.

Using TECHMOLOGY

ali-g.png

...going to go back through some of these games and then we can put a little meat behind some of the arguments about the officiating we've received. Then we can move, hopefully, beyond the HERP DERP CONSPIRACY LOL TIN FOIL HAT comments. But probably not, right?

The 2005 game was notable for the horrible spots we received throughout, and a crucial fumble by Mike Hart in Michigan territory in the 4th. The call was not reviewed, though replay was available at the time. I didn't included all the bad spots, there were more.

Face mask missed in the 1st
Bjqncn.gif

Very helpful spot for Michigan on 3rd down in their territory.
pMCx94.gif

Of course, the spots for us went the other way. Catches the ball on the other side of the sticks, and this ref marked even back beyond where he was put on the ground after being forced backwards. Should have been a first down.

7IlluD.gif

This was the "crooked walk" from this ref that was commented on by the announcer. Looked like he came up just short of the first down, in Michigan territory, on 3rd down. The gif can be only 5 seconds, but the ref continued walking on an angle to mark him for a first down. Would have been a punt.

QFrVNF.gif

This was the killer. Ball was clearly knocked out before Hart was down, and Penn State recovered it. Would have been PSU ball in Michigan territory in the 4th quarter. Believe Michigan scored a field goal on this drive. Should have been reviewed at minimum, was not reviewed. If that is called correctly, or reviewed as it should have been, PSU probably wins the game and goes undefeated that season, making it to the National Championship game. We finished the season 12-1, ranked #3.

2mX-76.gif

I concur with everything here except 1thing... the National Championship point is pure hyperbole. There is not a chance that we would have leaped over either an undefeated USC or undefeated TX in 2005. Still would have been nice to be undefeated though.

Wasn't there also a blown call on pass/fumble? I think Kerry Collins was involved but maybe not? Something like the ball went forward as he was passing but referines called it a fumble and somehow they ended up with the ball and scored? Obviously not in '99 but fits in this genre.

No, I think you're talking about the very first meeting in 1993 (the infamous multiple consecutive "too much crowd noise" calls game). It was the scUM QB who clearly fumbled (ball went at least 5 yards backwards from his hand which wasn't even cocked in a throwing motion - he had brought the ball down and was attempting to tuck it when he got hit and fumbled). Anyway, a PSU DL, I forget who, picked the ball up and was running free for a TD.....then the b1g shiz-hole ten cheaters out of nowhere start blowing their whistles and signalling incomplete pass!?!? A clear fumble that wasn't even remotely close to an incomplete pass (and the ball went 5 yards backwards so even if the scUM QB had thrown the ball backwards, it still would have been a live ball). No other possible way to describe the call which took a PSU TD off the board and gave scUM a free possession other than abject cheating and corrupt officiating.

Reactions: Option Bob

There was a blown fumble call in the 93 Michigan game where their QB dropped it, I believe.

Edit: Franklin_ has it above.

No, I think you're talking about the very first meeting in 1993 (the infamous multiple consecutive "too much crowd noise" calls game). It was the scUM QB who clearly fumbled (ball went at least 5 yards backwards from his hand which wasn't even cocked in a throwing motion - he had brought the ball down and was attempting to tuck it when he got hit and fumbled). Anyway, a PSU DL, I forget who, picked the ball up and was running free for a TD.....then the b1g shiz-hole ten cheaters out of nowhere start blowing their whistles and signalling incomplete pass!?!? A clear fumble that wasn't even remotely close to an incomplete pass (and the ball went 5 yards backwards so even if the scUM QB had thrown the ball backwards, it still would have been a live ball). No other possible way to describe the call which took a PSU TD off the board and gave scUM a free possession other than abject cheating and corrupt officiating.

Yea that is the one, at worst it was a lateral! Thanks for reminding me, I think!

^^ This debate has already played out at Big Ten headquarters. Our concerns were validated by the implementation of instant replay.

Maybe catch up on some background history:
So, a legitimate concern and gripe about 7 or 8 officials out of 55, and why they were allowed to continue to officiate those games. That, I can understand.

It was in 1993 and it was, I believe, a play where the Michigan QB, Todd Collins, fumbled and PSU should have recovered. Not unlike the one that Bobby Hoying - actually Eddie George - got away with in the 3rd quarter of the 1995 game.

Last edited:
It was in 1993 and it was, I believe, a play where the Michigan QB fumbled and PSU should have recovered. Not unlike the one that Bobby Hoying got away with in the 3rd quarter of the 1995 game.

Didnt Eddie George have a fumble in the 95 game that was missed?

Didnt Eddie George have a fumble in the 95 game that was missed?
Yes. You're right. I was just going back to correct it. It was Eddie George. Wouldn't PSU have run it back for the score down the sideline if they had called it correctly?

That's reasonable and could very well be the truth.

There was a point in time where an Ann Arbor resident (I forget who--might have been one of the guys mentioned in this thread) was regularly scheduled to work UM games while PA residents were forbidden by the conference to work PSU games.

The truth is that Big 10 officials are notoriously bad (basketball too). This sometimes results in problems in bowl games and the tournament for the teams as they suddenly don't get those calls. To be fair, part of that is the fact that the Big 10 is a pretty physical conference and other conferences tend to call more fouls on physical play rather than bad officiating alone.

Reactions: doctornick

It was there a bounced pass called a completion? How about a bounced INT that was called an INT and couldn't be reviewed because the video wasn't working. Or a field goal kicked three seconds after the play clock expired? Oh wait, those weren't calls against PSU when they played Michigan...must have been another team playing Michigan since it all evens out. It couldn't have been calls that hurt PSU against OSU...that would be too suspicious and would show a bias against PSU and we all know that doesn't exist in the Big.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT