ADVERTISEMENT

Who has the old pics of maize and blue referines and Lloyd carr chains?

21Guns

Dec 10, 2013
Bellefonte
I think it was the Lloyd Carr first down chains that measure 9 yards one way and 11 the other, and the officials with the maize and blue shirts and money attached, lmao.

I think it was the Lloyd Carr first down chains that measure 9 yards one way and 11 the other, and the officials with the maize and blue shirts and money attached, lmao.
There was another one with a referee wearing a Michigan helmet that was pretty good also.

1083624.jpg

Having a hard time giving Lloyd Carr anything but sympathy these days. His grandson was diagnosed with pediatric brain cancer. He is 5 years old. They tried chemo to extend his life but now have decided hospice is the best way to go. FIVE YEARS OLD! Just devastating

Having a hard time giving Lloyd Carr anything but sympathy these days. His grandson was diagnosed with pediatric brain cancer. He is 5 years old. They tried chemo to extend his life but now have decided hospice is the best way to go. FIVE YEARS OLD! Just devastating
It's in fun, for Christ sake. We can all separate the idea of a good natured joke, to our thoughts and prayers for Lloyd's family.

And then there was that photoshopped image of Dick Honig wearing a Michigan shirt... oh wait

No, no, no. This is all nullified because we had Mike Guman's father call an unsportsmanlike on Maryland 35 years ago. Therefore the bludgeoning is all justified in the high holy name of evening out. And another thing....just have to repost this old NYT piece that got that whole snow flurry of crap going in the first place....

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/10/19/s...no-got-his-share-of-calls-over-the-years.html

Joe Drape is an SMU grad. Not that he would have any axe to grind from 1986, right? Oh and he worked later in the journalism department of what large midwestern university? Give yourself a star if you said the University of Iowa.

Last edited:
I'm sure bob Bassett never wears PSU gear, right?

I imagine Bob Bassett does but...

Find memes on the net where he is portrayed wearing psu colors as a ref.
Post pics/news stories of Bob blowing calls that benefit PSU in game situations. Please cite specifics.
Please post all the instances you can find where the big ten apologizes for Bob Bassett's failures on the field.
As a PSU player, such instances must be abundant.

Reactions: ChiTownLion
Many years ago, Dave Jones wrote a story worth reading. Of course, it's not longer available online.

Conflict of interest for Big Ten official
Paterno remembers Honig well
By David Jones
Saturday, February 11, 2006

Seeing that an NCAA committee recommended two days ago that replay be adopted on a uniform basis in college football, I've been considering how the ball got rolling.

And I always think of one name -- Dick Honig.

You remember Honig. He was the referee Joe Paterno ran down at the end of the 2002 Iowa-Penn State game, grabbing his striped jersey from behind to deliver a parting shot about what he saw as a brutal end-game job by Honig's crew.

Others could trace the beginning of the march toward replay back to the 2000 Michigan-Illinois game, handed to U-M on several bad late calls.

But I think Iowa-PSU and then PSU-Michigan two weeks later -- both close Penn State losses -- really put the gears in motion. It was those games that ignited a request by Penn State for a comprehensive exam of league officiating and, in turn, led to college replay, pioneered by the Big Ten.

Honig didn't work either of those Michigan games. Still, it's the image of Paterno sprinting down the field at 75 years old to accost Honigafter Iowa beat PSU 42-35 in overtime that resonates in many minds as definitive moment when college replay became inevitible.

Funny, then, that I should get an e-mail Thursday from a Patriot-News reader in Minneapolis (via pennlive.com) named Joe Dorman, alerting me to a very apparent conflict of interest involving that same Dick Honig, now a Big Ten replay technical advisor.

Dorman sent one link. And with a little Googling and Lex-Nex searching, we found a lot of compelling evidence that Honig really is something of a Michigan homer.

Web chatters have known for years that Honig is a proud U-M grad. Coaches have always known he was a U-M basketball assistant and a coach for the Wolverines baseball team back in the 1960s and '70s.

What they probably didn't know: He has arranged to donate $15,000 from an insurance policy to the U-M athletic department when he dies. He told me that himself yesterday when I reached him by phone at his Honig's Whistle Stop officials' equipment store in Ann Arbor.

Honig said he took out the policy "100 years ago, after I graduated. ... I'm guessing that anyone who goes to any university donates something back."

However, not anyone who goes to any university is in charge of a replay system every week at a Big Ten football venue. Not anyone has a weekly hand in the fate his alma mater's conference competitors.

That's what Honig, 63, does now. He was a Big Ten official until the end of the 2004 season when he retired from the field to become one of the league's "technical advisors" last year. They are the officials in the press box who manage the replay system. Honig did this for the Rose Bowl national title game in January; certainly, he must be highly regarded among his peers.

Technical advisors review every play in a game. They are the sole judge of both stages of the review process: First, they decide whether reasonable evidence exists in telecast replays that the game should be stopped to conduct a review. Then, they are the judge of whether "indisputable evidence" exists that the call should be overturned.

Honig said yesterday he does not work Michigan games and has not for many years. The Big Ten's communications director Scott Chipman said yesterday he did not know which games Honig worked last season. Big Ten official box scores do not list technical advisors among officials.

If working a Michigan game was the only way Honig could affect the fate of Wolverine football, that would suffice. But, of course, it isn't. By his own admission, Honig works a game in the booth every week. How many opportunities could there be to skew an outcome against one of U-M's prime foes in any given season.

Would he? Who knows? I know nothing about Dick Honig's integrity.

But anyone can see for themselves that Honig has arranged to donate to the U-M athletic department in his will through the Development & Victors Club. Reads the heading:

"The following generous donors have named the Michigan Athletic Department as a beneficiary in their estate plans." Honig's name appears underneath.

The link: mgoblue.com/document_disp...t_id=15458

Or that Honig is a '63 bachelors and '66 Masters grad of U-M's Kinesiology school, (essentially physical education). This is the same department legendary in Big Ten lore because former U-M coach Bo Schembechler used to funnel many of his non-Rhodes Scholar candidates through it in the 1970s and '80s -- a trick he learned at the knee of Woody Hayes while an assistant at Ohio State.

"I donate money back each year to the School of Kinesiology," Honig told me. "Why shouldn't I do it? That doesn't conflict with my ability to officiate or my ability to be fair in decisions I make as a replay guy."

Maybe not. Honig might be a total straight arrow. He certainly seemed like an exceedingly nice guy on the phone.

Anyway, this is the conference's problem. Any venting should be directed not at Honig, but at Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany and supervisor of officials Dave Parry in Chicago. If you want to convey to your fans that your operation is above reproach, isn't even the appearance of such a conflict of interest damning enough?

But then, Delany is known for stonewalling or simply disappearing when such issues arise.

According to a chirpy story in the Spring 2005 edition of the U-M Kinesiology newsletter, "The Movement," Honig is so devoted to Michigan athletics that he's built a small shrine:

"One area of Dick's office is a tribute to the University of Michigan. A picture with an aerial view of the stadium, several inscribed baseball bats, and the famous "Block M" memorabilia are immediately visible."

The link: www.kines.umich.edu/alumn...ehonig.pdf

"That [tribute area] was done well before I ever became an official in the Big Ten," Honig said. "I'll bet you that's 35 years old."

It's also still there in his office.

We did a Lex-Nex search of Honig's name connecting U-M. One of the items that popped up was his father Leonard's 2003 obituary in the Detroit Free Press:

"Leonard spent most of his life in the employ of Richman Brothers Clothing -- better than 50 years. He started as a stock boy and finished as a District Manager. One of his favorite projects was supplying the travel blazers for the Michigan Athletic Teams...."

Then, later on:

"In lieu of flowers, a donation to the University of Michigan Athletic Department -- for Baseball -- or Hospice of Washtenaw would be appreciated."

And then, Honig also admitted to me his wife also contributes to the U-M football program yearly by buying season tickets -- which now require a premium seat license.

Could it be any clearer that this man, employed to be an impartial judge of a particularly sensitive area of the Big Ten's most high-profile business, has a mushy-soft spot for one of its most powerful members?

And even if he doesn't work any of Michigan's games anymore, need any dots really be connected to see he could profoundly affect the outcome of a Big Ten football race in Michigan's favor?

It's not necessary to allege that he would. Only that he could possibly be susceptible to even subconscious impartiality.

Chipman said he had no record of how many games Honig worked as a technical advisor during the 2005 season. But Honig himself acknowledged he worked every week, doing two Penn State games -- Northwestern and Michigan State, as he recalled.

Not surprisingly, Paterno yesterday begged off any comment about Honig's background. Though, when informed of it by an athletic department liason, he was completely unaware. The liason said Paterno "loved it," knowing, of course, I'd do his dirty work for him.

Paterno knows all about this sort of stuff. An uncle of former PSU fullback Mike Guman commonly used to work games at Beaver Stadium in the '80s and was involved, I'm told by old-timers, in some dicey calls.

Whatever. That personnel move wasn't arranged with the blessing of a conference office.

Speaking of which, Delany's position on all this?

"He's out of town all week," said Chipman. "If I can't get him, just say he was unavailable for comment."

Never got a call back. I'm anticipating Delany's status will be ongoing through at least July.

Reactions: Marshall30

I imagine Bob Bassett does but...

Find memes on the net where he is portrayed wearing psu colors as a ref.
Post pics/news stories of Bob blowing calls that benefit PSU in game situations. Please cite specifics.
Please post all the instances you can find where the big ten apologizes for Bob Bassett's failures on the field.
As a PSU player, such instances must be abundant.
Great, now you do the same for Honig. He hasn't worked any UM games since the very beginning of his career and hasn't been the subject of any calls that benefited UM.

Great, now you do the same for Honig. He hasn't worked any UM games since the very beginning of his career and hasn't been the subject of any calls that benefited UM.

Here is Honig's crew screwing Penn State in overtime. Watch the plays at 12:25 and 13:16.

He shouldn't be involved in any of the officiating process at all and neither should anyone else who has school affiliations.

Where I work, we have this phrase that is used all the time it's "conflict of interest AND/OR the appearance of a conflict of interest". Maintaining impartiality is most sacrosanct. That is what the league should be dedicated to and it should be protected with every resource at the leagues disposal. Integrity is a fragile commodity because once you lose it or the community you serve questions it then your job is compromised.

I know the history of college football. I know that the status quo in the food chain of college football has used officiating as a last resort. Yale very famously, would always play with officiating crews that were "Yale men". That is how they were able to maintain the dynasties in the early 1900's.

I also know that the officiating community is a fraternity...a very tight fraternity, just like "the blue wall".

I would like to see complete transparency in all conferences and that the NCAA adopt the same policy that they use for bowl games. No Big Ten official should EVER officiate a Big Ten game. In addition I would like to see a transparent quality control and review process with standardized levels of discipline. Bias and incompetence should never be tolerated.

The MONEY in college football is TOO big and TOO important to risk losing the public's confidence.
I agree with you 100%. But this isn't a UM only issue. Prior to PSU joining the B1G they commonly used an official who was the uncle of a player. Currently, a former PSU player is a B1G official. But all we hear about on this board is Honig.

I agree with you 100%. But this isn't a UM only issue. Prior to PSU joining the B1G they commonly used an official who was the uncle of a player. Currently, a former PSU player is a B1G official. But all we hear about on this board is Honig.

You guys get a lot of mileage out of that. Had nothing to do with Michigan.

Bob Bassett
Curious again but which B1G games has Basset participated in this season?

Up until 2009, the B1G employed and controlled its own dedicated staff of officials under the direction of Dave Parry and before him Gene Calhoun. That is no longer the case as the B1G is a member of the Midwest Football Officials Alliance which provides officials for the BigTen, Mid America, and Missouri Valley Conference. In 2011 the College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin (CCIW), Midwest Conference (MWC), Northern Athletics Conference (NAC) and Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (WIAC) joined the MFOA. It is from the MFOA's pool that the Big now draws its officials.

Last edited:
Curious again but which B1G games has Basset participated in this season?

Up until 2009, the B1G employed and controlled its own dedicated staff of officials. That is no longer the case as the B1G is a member of the Midwest Football Officials Alliance which provides officials for the BigTen, Mid America, and Missouri Valley Conference. In 2011 the College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin (CCIW), Midwest Conference (MWC), Northern Athletics Conference (NAC) and Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (WIAC) joined the MFOA. It is from the MFOA's pool that the Big now draws its officials.
No idea. From your tone its probably clear that he no longer officiates B1G games? But certainly doesn't take away from the broader point.

No idea. From your tone its probably clear that he no longer officiates B1G games? But certainly doesn't take away from the broader point.
And with that said, I'm guessing former PSU player Mark Battaglia no longer officiates B1G games? I know he and Basset often officiate the Blue-White game.

No, no, no. This is all nullified because we had Mike Guman's father call an unsportsmanlike on Maryland 35 years ago. Therefore the bludgeoning is all justified in the high holy name of evening out. And another thing....just have to repost this old NYT piece that got that whole snow flurry of crap going in the first place....

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/10/19/s...no-got-his-share-of-calls-over-the-years.html

Joe Drape is an SMU grad. Not that he would have any axe to grind from 1986, right? Oh and he worked later in the journalism department of what large midwestern university? Give yourself a star if you said the University of Iowa.

Ok this might come as a shock but I don't think that article is correct.
IIRC the official in question was either Gumans Father in law or Uncle not his father and I don't think he made the calls in Question because he was a back judge.

Yes, that he has never screwed over Michigan and it has nothing to do with the conversation.

Can you provide a link because I have no idea who this would be.
Thanks.
Never mind I see someone else said it was Bob Basset. Never heard of him.
Is he still an official?

Yes, that he has never screwed over Michigan and it has nothing to do with the conversation.

Well, Honig didn't make those calls in the 2002 Iowa/PSU game.

And, I don't know that either Bassett or Battaglia haven't made terrible calls against UM. I don't keep track.

Can you provide a link because I have no idea who this would be.
Thanks.
Never mind I see someone else said it was Bob Basset. Never heard of him.
Is he still an official?

Both Bob Basset and Mark Battaglia were former PSU players and B1G officials. I don't know if they are assigned to B1G games any longer based on CR66 post.

Well, Honig didn't make those calls in the 2002 Iowa/PSU game.

And, I don't know that either Bassett or Battaglia haven't made terrible calls against UM. I don't keep track.

He was the crew chief. If I remember correctly, he had a crew with about 6 members all from Michigan. They gave us a lot of trouble over the years. Not only bad calls, but Joe made mention of how they would talk back to our coaches in a very "disrespectful" manner, to put it mildly.

He was the crew chief. If I remember correctly, he had a crew with about 6 members all from Michigan. They gave us a lot of trouble over the years. Not only bad calls, but Joe made mention of how they would talk back to our coaches in a very "disrespectful" manner, to put it mildly.
So, he didn't make those calls but everyone here wants to blame his ties to UM for it happening? It's a reach. And so what if those 6 officials were from Michigan? Maybe they were die hard MSU fans. Maybe they don't care for either home state school. One of the officials was calling PSU's catch good. Did he not get the memo????

So, he didn't make those calls but everyone here wants to blame his ties to UM for it happening? It's a reach. And so what if those 6 officials were from Michigan? Maybe they were die hard MSU fans. Maybe they don't care for either home state school. One of the officials was calling PSU's catch good. Did he not get the memo????

Make sure you get the last word on the Penn State board, douche.

Make sure you get the last word on the Penn State board, douche.
Sorry, thought we were having a civil discussion. Didn't realize I wasn't allowed to respond to a post directed to me. If having the last word is important to you please feel free to quote this post and I won't respond to you again in this thread.

Dick Honig was the ringleader of the officiating crew from Michigan. Here, he describes how they operate. http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/index.ssf/2014/09/beyond_football_the_life_of_a.html

Q. You mentioned working 40 hours per week as a Big Ten official.

A. For a typical Saturday afternoon game, I leave by car or plane early enough to arrive in the city by 5 p.m. Friday. The crew has dinner together, then an evening meeting and another one in the morning. Since the same crew works together all year, we discuss situations from the previous week’s game, watch video of it and see how to improve. The conference also puts out a video each week, pointing out technical aspects. We talk about how we will handle things unique to the upcoming game – maybe one team runs a ‘hurry up’ offense or another team passes a lot. If it looks like bad weather is possible, we decide how we will adjust.

After the game, we meet with the league observer to discuss how things went and get his feedback. We receive a video of the game, which we review individually on the plane ride home or on Sunday. On Monday morning, there is a local meeting of area officials. Over the next three days, the crew might spend two to three hours each day commenting on the game via e-mail. You live and die with six other guys. The success of the crew depends on how well we work together, and as crew chief (who is also the referee), that was my responsibility.​

Also, maybe this was how the referines justified calling a time out for Ohio State (vs PSU in 2014) with Urban Meyer screaming in protest until an official reassured him they prevented a delay of game penalty.

Q. Do you talk much with the players on the field?

A. Neither of us have much time for that, but we will often make suggestions to players and coaches to help them avoid making a mistake. It is called preventive officiating. Example: if a player is close to lining up offside, we suggest that he might want to back up a bit. Things like that.​

Sorry, thought we were having a civil discussion. Didn't realize I wasn't allowed to respond to a post directed to me. If having the last word is important to you please feel free to quote this post and I won't respond to you again in this thread.
Eff U D-Bag. Go back to your blighted state.

Shocking, a Michigan fan that doesn't think the officiating in the Big is biased. I'm amazed. What's next, an OSU fan who says the same thing? Wow, truly a day for miracles.

So, he didn't make those calls but everyone here wants to blame his ties to UM for it happening? It's a reach. And so what if those 6 officials were from Michigan? Maybe they were die hard MSU fans. It's unlikely considering MSU wasn't very competitive in the Honig years. Honig's crew was always comprised of two or three officials who were domiciled in the state of Michigan including these people who many considered bent over backwards to help UM in their games and/or non UM games that had a bearing on the conference standings:

David Chesney, Belmont
Paul Engelberts, Royal Oak
Percy Mun, Detroit
Dino Paganelli, Grand Rapids
Carl Paganelli, Wyoming
Tony Payne, Lansing
Ed Peters, Marshall
David Witvoet, Plainwell

And that doesn't include the post Honig wave of :

Steve Barnes, Plymouth
Mike Conlin, East Lansing
Mike Dolce, Hudsonville
Ed Feaster, Ann Arbor
Todd Geerlings, Norton Shores
Bruce Keeling, Hillsdale
Alex Kemp, Greenville
Jeff Servinski, Midland
Shawn Smith, Southfield
Ron Torbert, West Bloomfield
John Wiercinski, Hudsonville

Reactions: ChiTownLion
So it's unlikely MSU didn't have any fans in the state of Michigan that weren't alumni? That's the arguement? Pretty hard to respond to that type of evidence.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT