ADVERTISEMENT

2005 Michigan vs. PSU game bad calls in GIFS

Judge Smails

May 29, 2001
Very nice that you can find many/most of our full games on Youtube now.

Using TECHMOLOGY

ali-g.png

...going to go back through some of these games and then we can put a little meat behind some of the arguments about the officiating we've received. Then we can move, hopefully, beyond the HERP DERP CONSPIRACY LOL TIN FOIL HAT comments. But probably not, right?

The 2005 game was notable for the horrible spots we received throughout, and a crucial fumble by Mike Hart in Michigan territory in the 4th. The call was not reviewed, though replay was available at the time. I didn't included all the bad spots, there were more.

Face mask missed in the 1st
Bjqncn.gif

Very helpful spot for Michigan on 3rd down in their territory.
pMCx94.gif

Of course, the spots for us went the other way. Catches the ball on the other side of the sticks, and this ref marked even back beyond where he was put on the ground after being forced backwards. Should have been a first down.

7IlluD.gif

This was the "crooked walk" from this ref that was commented on by the announcer. Looked like he came up just short of the first down, in Michigan territory, on 3rd down. The gif can be only 5 seconds, but the ref continued walking on an angle to mark him for a first down. Would have been a punt.

QFrVNF.gif

This was the killer. Ball was clearly knocked out before Hart was down, and Penn State recovered it. Would have been PSU ball in Michigan territory in the 4th quarter. Believe Michigan scored a field goal on this drive. Should have been reviewed at minimum, was not reviewed. If that is called correctly, or reviewed as it should have been, PSU probably wins the game and goes undefeated that season, making it to the National Championship game. We finished the season 12-1, ranked #3.

2mX-76.gif

Last edited:
Judge, I'm waiting for um athletic supporters, actual and posturing, and other Penn State haters to say you're whining. :rolleyes: You can't argue with video evidence, of course. The bottom line is that Penn State got hosed all day. Maybe the refs back then already knew that we were just lucky to be playing football.

I watch those videos, and I. SERIOUSLY. AM. OUTRAGED. :eek:

Last edited:

Using TECHMOLOGY

ali-g.png

...going to go back through some of these games and then we can put a little meat behind some of the arguments about the officiating we've received. Then we can move, hopefully, beyond the HERP DERP CONSPIRACY LOL TIN FOIL HAT comments. But probably not, right?

The 2005 game was notable for the horrible spots we received throughout, and a crucial fumble by Mike Hart in Michigan territory in the 4th. The call was not reviewed, though replay was available at the time. I didn't included all the bad spots, there were more.

Bjqncn.gif

pMCx94.gif

Of course, the spots for us went the other way. Catches the ball on the other side of the sticks, and this ref marked even back beyond where he was put on the ground after being forced backwards. Should have been a first down.

7IlluD.gif

This was the "crooked walk" from this ref that was commented on by the announcer. Looked like he came up just short of the first down, in Michigan territory, on 3rd down. The gif can be only 5 seconds, but the ref continued walking on an angle to mark him for a first down. Would have been a punt.

QFrVNF.gif

This was the killer. Ball was clearly knocked out before Hart was down, and Penn State recovered it. Would have been PSU ball in Michigan territory in the 4th quarter. Believe Michigan scored a field goal on this drive. Should have been reviewed at minimum, was not reviewed. If that is called correctly, or reviewed as it should have been, PSU probably wins the game and goes undefeated that season, making it to the National Championship game.

2mX-76.gif

giphy.gif

Reactions: Judge Smails
Judge, I'm waiting for um athletic supporters, actual and posturing, and other Penn State haters to say you're whining. :rolleyes: You can't argue with video evidence, of course. The bottom line is that Penn State got hosed all day. Maybe the refs back then already knew that we were just lucky to be playing football.

I watch those videos, and I. SERIOUSLY. AM. OUTRAGED. :eek:

Here's the thing.....Michigan fans don't want to talk about concrete events. They want to keep it broad and dumb. CONSPIRACY LOL.

There is no legitimate reason that the Hart fumble should not have been reviewed and overturned. NONE. You give us the ball in Michigan territory and take a field goal off the board for them in the mid 4th quarter and it is a different game.

A call like that keeps us from an undefeated season and a chance to win a MNC....and we're supposed to swallow that shit down? Nah, sorry. I'll continue to call out the conference for the bullshit they pulled over the two decades we've been in this conference. I suggest people save the gifs for use in their arguments. There are going to be a lot more.

Here's the thing.....Michigan fans don't want to talk about concrete events. They want to keep it broad and dumb. CONSPIRACY LOL.

There is no legitimate reason that the Hart fumble should not have been reviewed and overturned. NONE. You give us the ball in Michigan territory and take a field goal off the board for them in the mid 4th quarter and it is a different game.

A call like that keeps us from an undefeated season and a chance to win a MNC....and we're supposed to swallow that shit down? Nah, sorry. I'll continue to call out the conference for the bullshit they pulled over the two decades we've been in this conference. I suggest people save the gifs for use in their arguments. There are going to be a lot more.

Yup. Notice what we have in this thread from the other side. *crickets*

Reactions: Judge Smails
Yup. Notice what we have in this thread from the other side. *crickets*

We have a moronic buckeye fan with a thread mockingly titled "conspiracy". Come in this thread and deal with things that actually happened.

Review the 2002 UM-PSU game. Much worse. It was soooo bad that that is the game that got the B1G to start replay the next year. Went full NCAA the following year. There were other games that year (2002) that were horrendous. I think it was UM/NWestern.

Reactions: Obliviax
So, Friday confession: I generally think the "the Big Ten is out to get us!" posts are bologna. I know many of you are shocked by this, I'll give you a moment to compose yourselves.

That being said, this game was horrendously officiated and most of the calls did seem to go against Penn State. I still don't know what the Big Ten gains, so until someone can clearly explain why no claim for the national title is better for the conference than having a claim for a national title; or why devaluing one of it's biggest brands is beneficial; or how we have dozens (if not hundreds) of people involved over 22 years and there hasn't been one whisper that they're instructed to make calls against one team, I'm not going to go any further than that. But I understand the complaints about this particular game, and the crew working it.

Bigger picture, I think it's more accurate to quote Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

So, Friday confession: I generally think the "the Big Ten is out to get us!" posts are bologna. I know many of you are shocked by this, I'll give you a moment to compose yourselves.

That being said, this game was horrendously officiated and most of the calls did seem to go against Penn State. I still don't know what the Big Ten gains, so until someone can clearly explain why no claim for the national title is better for the conference than having a claim for a national title; or why devaluing one of it's biggest brands is beneficial; or how we have dozens (if not hundreds) of people involved over 22 years and there hasn't been one whisper that they're instructed to make calls against one team, I'm not going to go any further than that. But I understand the complaints about this particular game, and the crew working it.

Bigger picture, I think it's more accurate to quote Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

I think there are/were 1 or 2 crews that had a bias against Penn State. Those crews, for a period in time, tended to be assigned to our games with OSU and Michigan. That's the extent of it, in my opinion.

I think there are/were 1 or 2 crews that had a bias against Penn State. Those crews, for a period in time, tended to be assigned to our games with OSU and Michigan. That's the extent of it, in my opinion.
That's reasonable and could very well be the truth.

Reactions: Nittany Ned2
"Bigger picture, I think it's more accurate to quote Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Except with stupidity you would think it would even itself out over the course of a game. Doesn't happen. So what are we left with...

Review the 2002 UM-PSU game. Much worse. It was soooo bad that that is the game that got the B1G to start replay the next year. Went full NCAA the following year. There were other games that year (2002) that were horrendous. I think it was UM/NWestern.

Thanks. I'll look at that one. I have the 1999 PSU/Michigan game cued up now.

Also a game where a tipped punt was called roughing the kicker. UM went on to score a TD that was the difference between winning and losing. I don't remember the year.

It was called that he was down and so it wasn't a fumble, right? If so, that's not a reviewable call in college (I think the NFL allows it to be reviewed for the turnover, but the ball cannot be advanced). That doesn't mean it wasn't the wrong call or an embarrassment, but I don't think it could be reviewed.

It was called that he was down and so it wasn't a fumble, right? If so, that's not a reviewable call in college (I think the NFL allows it to be reviewed for the turnover, but the ball cannot be advanced). That doesn't mean it wasn't the wrong call or an embarrassment, but I don't think it could be reviewed.

No, it they say his forward progress was stopped, it can't be reviewed. That's how Michigan got away with last week's fumble against Indiana. Funny, in the commentary for the game above, the announcer says Hart and Michigan got away with a call on a play that should have been a fumble the previous week as well.

giphy.gif

Reactions: N&B4PSU

Ugh. The Tony Johnson footprint in bounds showing the call of out of bounds to be either incompetence, or intentional. I've always hoped it was mere incompetence, but the rest of that game made me suspect otherwise.

Thanks. I'll look at that one. I have the 1999 PSU/Michigan game cued up now.
-----
Biggest was the Johnson 'out of bounds' call' when he took at least two, probably three steps in bounds.

Another was we got called for roughing the punter when the repay showed one of our guys got a partial block, you could hear the ball hit his hand...... I was at the game.

There were also some generous spots for them on third down and a bad one against us late near goal line.

Two passes over middle hit zebra in head, seems he couldn't see it coming.

Reactions: richmin3
Or how about this one, that cost us the Nebraska game. Would have probably been the game winning touchdown late in the 4th quarter, 2013. Reviewed, inexplicably not ruled a touchdown. It is frozen late here, once the tip of the football hits the tip of the goal line, TOUCHDOWN.

bangbang_medium.gif

nebraska-win.jpg

"Bigger picture, I think it's more accurate to quote Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Except with stupidity you would think it would even itself out over the course of a game. Doesn't happen. So what are we left with...
Confirmation bias.

We have a moronic buckeye fan with a thread mockingly titled "conspiracy". Come in this thread and deal with things that actually happened.
Funny thing is when you ask Michigan or Ohio state posters that come over here to site just one potentially game changing call that went Penn State's way vs. either one of them over our entire time in the Conference, they can't produce anything. Why? Because none exist. Zero.

Look at the famous OSU td against PSU when Mauti was held. But look in the background....the middle linebacker was held by the left guard and the left D end (Barnes?) was held by the left tackle. Three holds on one play.......all at LOS where line judge is supposed to watch........nothing called......except for..... game winning TD...... OSU!

Reactions: Option Bob
Look at the famous OSU td against PSU when Mauti was held. But look in the background....the middle linebacker was held by the left guard and the left D end (Barnes?) was held by the left tackle. Three holds on one play.......all at LOS where line judge is supposed to watch........nothing called......except for..... game winning TD...... OSU!
Add to that the year we had Arrington and Courtney Brown and there was a grand total of one holding penalty called against conference opponents. That defies any semblance of logic.

4texx.gif

Reactions: Nittany Ned2
This is just like the old-guard trustees. It isn't incompetence. It is intentional malfeasance.

It was horrible, but THAT was not the game that brought in replay.

The game that brought in replay was the screwing that we took in the IOWA game that year.

That year we took TWO screwings, about par for the conference. We average two games per year that we are screwed out of.

IIRC during the 2005 Mich game, WR, Arrington I believe had that size 15 foot half way out of bounds when he caught a pass during the final drive. Clearly, out of bounds, no doubt about it. The ref was standing 20 feet up field right on the white line and called it a legitimate catch.

BS. Not this many times. Where's your ammunition?
Not that many times? You realize that the more times you test a thesis, the more data you get, the more opportunities for bias that accumulate.

Missed holding calls, missed face masks, missed pass interference, none of that moves me the slightest bit. That happens to every team in every game. Just because you remember when it happens to your team, and not when it happens to other teams, doesn't make it any more sinister.

Using TECHMOLOGY

ali-g.png

Bjqncn.gif

pMCx94.gif

7IlluD.gif

QFrVNF.gif

This was the killer. Ball was clearly knocked out before Hart was down, and Penn State recovered it. Would have been PSU ball in Michigan territory in the 4th quarter. Believe Michigan scored a field goal on this drive. Should have been reviewed at minimum, was not reviewed. If that is called correctly, or reviewed as it should have been, PSU probably wins the game and goes undefeated that season, making it to the National Championship game. We finished the season 12-1, ranked #3.

2mX-76.gif

This doesn't even include the clearly illegitimate catch awarded to Avant on the 1st play of scUM's final scoring drive which began with only 42 seconds and Avant's catch accounted for fully 1/3 of the scoring drive's yardage (not to mention there was only 37 seconds left after the play either way as he was ruled OB after the catch - his first landing foot was clearly OB by half of the length of his cleat as video also demonstrates. Huge difference going the longer distance in 37 seconds than the short-field created via his clearly ILLIGITIMATE CATCH over same span).

BTW, Instant Replay Rules were in effect in 2005 why was the Hart fumble or the Avant illegitimate catch not reviewed when it is quite clear via the video evidence the incorrect call was made? Why weren't any of those atrocious marks - off by 2 yards in some instances - creating 1st downs that weren't not reviewed for that matter?

We all know why none of it was reviewed and clearly wrong calls were allowed to stand despite the fact that they should have been reviewed and easily reversed.....and that reason is called zero-integrity, cheating, typical b1g shiz-hole modus operandi. (e.g., when your favored shiz-hole team isn't able to beat the opponent fairly, then you simply cheat to get the desired result....the same BS was on display on Oct 25, 2014 in Beaver Stadium....some things never change like the scumbag nature of b1g shiz-hole corrupt officiating, go figure!).

Not that many times? You realize that the more times you test a thesis, the more data you get, the more opportunities for bias that accumulate.

Missed holding calls, missed face masks, missed pass interference, none of that moves me the slightest bit. That happens to every team in every game. Just because you remember when it happens to your team, and not when it happens to other teams, doesn't make it any more sinister.

You a Michigan fan? Show me a missed turnover for Penn State in the 4th quarter of one of our games. Give me the gif.

Don't give me theoretical situations. We're showing you blatant missed calls. Give us the same thing going the other direction.

One Buckeye fan did show me LB Bell poking their QB in the eye, looking like it was intentional. Kudos. He should have been penalized or thrown out of the game for that. That was one. I could also see how something like that happening in a pile could be missed. Not so much all of these others.

Last edited:
You a Michigan fan? Show me a missed turnover for Penn State in the 4th quarter of one of our games. Give me the gif.

Don't give me theoretical situations. We're showing you blatant missed calls. Give us the same thing going the other direction.

One Buckeye fan did show me LB Bell poking their QB in the eye, looking like it was intentional. Kudos. He should have been penalized or thrown out of the game for that. That was one. I could also see how something like that happening in a pile could be missed. Not so much all of these others.
He can't. He likes to talk in generalities to support his argument. Like I've asked before, let's see some specifics. He won't find any.

ADVERTISEMENT