ADVERTISEMENT

149 and Brady Berge

NittanyChris

Dec 3, 2001
Maybe I'm wrong, but as far as our three brand new wrestlers this season, it seems that Berge really has an opportunity to make some hay. 133 could be the toughest weight overall and 125 looks tough too. But, there are no unquestionable studs at 133. Everyone has flaws. Jordan has bottom issues. Kolodzik is talented but beatable. Ashnault is coming off a major injury. Lewallen lost 8 times last year.
So, what is Berge's ceiling this season? Top ten? AA? Top 5? What do people think?

Last edited:
I would put his ceiling at becoming an NCAA champion. There is nobody in this weight class Brady could beat who would shock the wrestling world. Berge is a tough hombre and wrestles middleweight at middleweight U. It would also not shock the world if he was just solid and ended up a round of 12 type guy. I think how he manages the weight will play a big factor. He has the talent,coaching,training partners, and confidence to make a strong run this year.

I would put his ceiling at becoming an NCAA champion. There is nobody in this weight class Brady could beat who would shock the wrestling world. Berge is a tough hombre and wrestles middleweight at middleweight U. It would also not shock the world if he was just solid and ended up a round of 12 type guy. I think how he manages the weight will play a big factor. He has the talent,coaching,training partners, and confidence to make a strong run this year.
Brady has grown a lot in the past year, not unusual after spending a year in the Penn State room. He's not the same wrestler that lost to D'angelo at the Princeton Open last year, though that was at 157. Managing his weight will be the #1 key, as JPW says...though he had the master of doing "all-things-right", in Zain last year, Jason too, so the road map is there. Follow their lead, he'll be fine...though I can't help but think Verkleeren will push him. That's a good thing, as both will be better for the in-the-room competition.

One thing about Penn State's schedule this year, it appears the competition for our 149 pounder is on the weak side. Other than Jordan (or whoever goes 149 for the Buckeyes), the best dual competition comes from Maruca (AZST), and Shuyler (LEH). We don't wrestle Rutgers, Iowa, or Minnesota, which have 3 of the top-11 guys (Flo Rankings), and even Bannister (MD, who we don't wrestle) is top-20. Our 149 guy will surely face some decent competition at the Scuffle, as some pretty good guys should be there (Hagan, Lewallen, Prince, Smith, etc. could be there). Heading into the Big Ten Championships, it doesn't appear our guy will face more than 5 or 6 top-20 guys, based on pre-season rankings.

I'd say top-8, and an AA finish is within his reach. There's some good guys fighting for the right to be called AA, that I'd put right there with Brady until I see him wrestle part of a season, including (besides those NittanyChris notes); O'Conner, Leeth, Lugo, Thomsen, and more.

Last edited:
I'll be conservative with Berge and say I need to see him wrestle folk before putting his ceiling above Jordan, who IMO is the clear favorite until someone proves they can beat him (as there's no Zain or Jason to exploit his bottom issues).

Reminder that 2 years ago at 149, all of Jordan's losses were to Zain and Sorensen. The worst Sorensen loss was 4-0, and he beat Sorensen at B10s.

That said, I've seen enough of Berge in freestyle to say he's plenty good enough on feet to place top 4. Exactly how high may depend on his bracket.

Brady has grown a lot in the past year, not unusual after spending a year in the Penn State room. He's not the same wrestler that lost to D'angelo at the Princeton Open last year, though that was at 157. Managing his weight will be the #1 key, as JPW says...though he had the master of doing "all-things-right", in Zain last year, Jason too, so the road map is there. Follow their lead, he'll be fine...though I can't help but think Verkleeren will push him. That's a good thing, as both will be better for the in-the-room competition.

One thing about Penn State's schedule this year, it appears the competition for our 149 pounder is on the weak side. Other than Jordan (or whoever goes 149 for the Buckeyes), the best dual competition comes from Maruca (AZST), and Shuyler (LEH). We don't wrestle Rutgers, Iowa, or Minnesota, which have 3 of the top-11 guys (Flo Rankings), and even Bannister (MD, who we don't wrestle) is top-20. Our 149 guy will surely face some decent competition at the Scuffle, as some pretty good guys should be there (Hagan, Lewallen, Prince, Smith, etc. could be there). Heading into the Big Ten Championships, it doesn't appear our guy will face more than 5 or 6 top-20 guys, based on pre-season rankings.

I'd say top-8, and an AA finish is within his reach. There's some good guys fighting for the right to be called AA, that I'd put right there with Brady until I see him wrestle part of a season, including (besides those NittanyChris notes); O'Conner, Leeth, Lugo, Thomsen, and more.

We'll learn a lot about where Berge stands if he hits Mitch Finesilver at the Keystone Classic.

I am trying to rack my brain to remember where the consensus of this board was back when Nickal and Nolf entered their RS Freshman year in terms of expectations. If I had to guess we saw both as strong AAs. I don't think many were seeing two finalists, that said I am not implying we expect the same from Berge. If anything I am more noting that dimmentia is limiting me right now. I really like what I see from him and his Petigree, but the lean body of work last year and the cut to 149 makes it a bit of a crap shoot in terms of projection.

Reactions: Dogwelder
I'll be conservative with Berge and say I need to see him wrestle folk before putting his ceiling above Jordan, who IMO is the clear favorite until someone proves they can beat him (as there's no Zain or Jason to exploit his bottom issues).

Reminder that 2 years ago at 149, all of Jordan's losses were to Zain and Sorensen. The worst Sorensen loss was 4-0, and he beat Sorensen at B10s.

That said, I've seen enough of Berge in freestyle to say he's plenty good enough on feet to place top 4. Exactly how high may depend on his bracket.

I am trying to remember, didn't Jordan actually have a couple of takedowns v. Zain before eventually getting destroyed? Jordan is pretty good on his feet.

I am trying to remember, didn't Jordan actually have a couple of takedowns v. Zain before eventually getting destroyed? Jordan is pretty good on his feet.
Yes, in the first match. Second match was something like 18-1.

Reactions: diggerpup
Hayes too, before losing to Zain 20-4. They were pretty slick takedowns (at Rec Hall), before Zain's brute strength took over.

I really don't think Berge's weight will be an issue. He comes from a program that discipline is expected and carried out. He's always been crazy-disciplined. If it doesn't work out, it's his body saying No, not his mind being undisciplined.
Don’t disagree, though everyone deals differently, and every “body” reacts differently. Odds are, he’ll be fine.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT