ADVERTISEMENT

12th in new Coaches Poll, behind Michigan.

fairgambit

Aug 20, 2010
1 Louisiana State 11-0 1561 52 1 – 1/6
2 Ohio State 11-0 1510 7 2 – 2/6
3 Clemson 11-0 1464 4 3 – 1/3
4 Georgia 10-1 1351 0 4 – 3/10
5 Alabama 10-1 1325 0 5 – 1/5
6 Utah 10-1 1252 0 8 2 6/19
7 Oklahoma 10-1 1223 0 7 – 4/9
8 Florida 9-2 1074 0 10 2 6/12
9 Minnesota 10-1 1014 0 11 2 7/54
10 Baylor 10-1 924 0 13 3 10/46
11 Michigan 9-2 893 0 12 1 7/20
12 Penn State 9-2 857 0 9 -3 5/14
13 Oregon 9-2 816 0 6 -7 6/18
14 Wisconsin 9-2 799 0 14 – 6/17
15 Notre Dame 9-2 737 0 15 – 7/16
16 Auburn 8-3 652 0 16 – 7/16
17 Cincinnati 10-1 535 0 17 – 17/38
18 Memphis 10-1 528 0 18 – 18/39
19 Boise State 10-1 493 0 19 – 13/27
20 Iowa 8-3 434 0 20 – 14/22
21 Oklahoma State 8-3 256 0 23 2 21/41
22 Appalachian State 10-1 232 0 22 – 20/46
23 Virginia Tech 8-3 123 0 26 3 23/37
24 Navy 8-2 110 0 29 5 21/48
25 Southern California 8-4 75 0 34 9 24/39
Schools Dropped Out

No. 21 Southern Methodist; No. 24 Texas A&M; No. 25 San Diego State.

Others Receiving Votes
Air Force 74; Iowa State 55; Virginia 32; Texas A&M 26; UL Lafayette 18; Southern Methodist 18; Wake Forest 5; San Diego State 4; Indiana 2; Hawaii 2; Temple 1.

Doesn’t matter but it’s a joke...we beat them head to head and we beat better teams. But they’ll get boat raced by OSU so it won’t matter.

I find it interesting that Michigan is ranked above 2 teams, Penn State and Wisconsin, that beat them head to head and have the same record, 9-2. Wisky beat them by 21 points.

The problem with polls has always been that it's not simply losses, but, more importantly when those losses happen. Losing early is better than losing late. The voters are compelled to drop teams for losing regardless of what it does to their position relative to teams they've defeated earlier in the season. The rationale, they will offer, is that Team A has gotten better over time, while Team A has gotten worse. Of course, they have no way of knowing that.

Reactions: katchthis
That loss to Minnesota did more damage than many would admit.
Clearly very damaging. We would have been 3rd in the CFP ranking before the OSU game and most likely no worse than 6th afterwards, with plenty of opportunities to move up.

That offensive pass interference call still rankles me. Questionable at best and probably cost us the game.

Reactions: nits74 and 84Lion
Clearly very damaging. We would have been 3rd in the CFP ranking before the OSU game and most likely no worse than 6th afterwards, with plenty of opportunities to move up.

That offensive pass interference call still rankles me. Questionable at best and probably cost us the game.

Mid-season pratfalls R Us.

Interested in the poll on Tuesday.

Yep
We will also jump Baylor

Still ending up Outback bowl. Meh.

the Minnesota loss is the difference maker. Without that, you are in the Rose.

I know it will never happen but I would want the team to decline the outback bowl against 7-5 Texas A&M, it’s honesty an insult to this team to put us there. Especially when our resume is superior to Florida who will likely steal our spot

Reactions: nits74
Notre Dame got pounded by Michigan, lost to Georgia but only made it close with one of those magical late drives where everything goes their way, and played nobody else. They'll hang at #15 or so through their lack of a conference championship game cupcake schedule.

I know it will never happen but I would want the team to decline the outback bowl against 7-5 Texas A&M, it’s honesty an insult to this team to put us there. Especially when our resume is superior to Florida who will likely steal our spot

As a fan that makes some sense, but not to anyone else. The Bowl, would still be a reward to the players, and give the younger players more practices to get them ready for nest year.

As a fan that makes some sense, but not to anyone else. The Bowl, would still be a reward to the players, and give the younger players more practices to get them ready for nest year.

Oh I agree, it’s just frustrating. Especially when it seems there is some sec bias allowing teams like Florida with 1 ranked win and nothing else to likely get in.

But you are definitely right about the practices and such. I would want Franklin to make some kind of statement though

Sean Clifford’s inability to not turn the hall over cost us that game.

Reactions: 84Lion
Eh. Some voters value head to head. Some value how the teams have looked like all season. Some only look at losses. Some value how the teams look "right now".

I find it interesting that Michigan is ranked above 2 teams, Penn State and Wisconsin, that beat them head to head and have the same record, 9-2. Wisky beat them by 21 points.
You see that’s where you are incorrect. In an ongoing desperate attempt to justify preseason rankings the college football world has gladly accepted the fact that although we scored more points Michigan actually won the game with us. Frankly seeing as how they only have one loss I’m mystified that they aren’t ranked higher.

Reactions: fairgambit
You see that’s where you are incorrect. In an ongoing desperate attempt to justify preseason rankings the college football world has gladly accepted the fact that although we scored more points Michigan actually won the game with us. Frankly seeing as how they only have one loss I’m mystified that they aren’t ranked higher.

Wait a minute there, Thomas. Wisconsin only won the 1st half, 28-0. Michigan won the 2nd half by the exact same score as they did in their "win" over Penn State -- 14-7.

Doesn't that make the skunk bears undefeated and worthy of being ranked #1 or 2?

Thank you, Thomas, for explaining that to me. It's a bit complicated for this old brain of mine. I'm old school where the team that score the most points wins, but I now understand that does not always apply. Ah well. We will always have Rutgers.:)

Wait a minute there, Thomas. Wisconsin only won the 1st half, 28-0. Michigan won the 2nd half by the exact same score as they did in their "win" over Penn State -- 14-7.

Doesn't that make the skunk bears undefeated and worthy of being ranked #1 or 2?
Boy, this stuff really gets complicated. :confused:

Well any team w/ a Don Brown Defense is going to be ranked 4 or 5 (at least) spots ahead of where they should be, which is only right and fair. I mean, it's Don Brown.

Reactions: Thomas1945

that is the problem - the image that UM actually "won" the PSU game. nobody remembers how Wisky dominated them. however the media flow is that UM "woke up" in the 2nd half of PSU and are now a completely new team. they wanted the "Josh Gattis offense" to be good so bad that now anything that is positive from UM is attributed to the turn around. Minny loss was devastating and nobody remembers the called back play and how that impacted the game. we beat that Minny team 99% of the time on a neutral field.

Not so fast Bucky.

Care to explain what you meant? Do you think Michigan has a chance to beat O$U or do you think a 9-3 Michigan team will be ranked ahead of a 10-2 PSU team? I'd bet the ranch neither of those scenarios happen. Who's Bucky?

Eh. Some voters value head to head. Some value how the teams have looked like all season. Some only look at losses. Some value how the teams look "right now".

Maybe it should be based on how cute a team's cheerleaders are? :confused:
Ah, maybe not.

IMG_4179.jpg

So they needed overtime and a missed field goal to beat Army at home but are worthy of being ranked ahead of two teams they lost to because they beat up on Notre Dame and and a bunch of cupcakes recently

Reactions: nits74
Care to explain what you meant? Do you think Michigan has a chance to beat O$U or do you think a 9-3 Michigan team will be ranked ahead of a 10-2 PSU team? I'd bet the ranch neither of those scenarios happen. Who's Bucky?

Michigan can beat Ohio State. Michigan is playing well right now and Fields isn’t going to be 100% next week.

Why does everyone think Wisky will roll Minny? Wisky isn’t that great. Purdue moved the ball on them pretty easily.

So they needed overtime and a missed field goal to beat Army at home but are worthy of being ranked ahead of two teams they lost to because they beat up on Notre Dame and and a bunch of cupcakes recently

And that doesn't make sense to you?
Have you forgotten how good the Wolverines were back when Wyatt Earp was still alive?
SMH:rolleyes:

<<to be read using the sarcasm font>>

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT