ADVERTISEMENT

125 this season

#3 Caleb Smith in SV over Trevor Anderson, who lost to Farmer 3-2, who lost to Davis 11-1.

Davis > Smith???
I understand this is facetious, but watching Davis’s match on YouTube, I felt like I was watching a superhero origin story. He came out and discovered his powers and got way ahead, but didn’t know how to control them yet and spent long parts of the match looking like he thought he shouldn’t be dominating like he was, but as soon as Kaylor made it close again, boom, immediate TD again. His explosiveness on his shots was impressive. If he gets the confidence to wrestle all 7 like he did for the first 2 mins, he’s going to be really dangerous (in a class that is as wide open as I can ever remember a class being wide open).

There is no world beater at 125 this year, pretty established. Someone can win one bracket then go R16 in another. So essential to get a guy there.

Unless Fix goes 125 ... he walks through it then even if he's starving and tired.

I understand this is facetious, but watching Davis’s match on YouTube, I felt like I was watching a superhero origin story. He came out and discovered his powers and got way ahead, but didn’t know how to control them yet and spent long parts of the match looking like he thought he shouldn’t be dominating like he was, but as soon as Kaylor made it close again, boom, immediate TD again. His explosiveness on his shots was impressive. If he gets the confidence to wrestle all 7 like he did for the first 2 mins, he’s going to be really dangerous (in a class that is as wide open as I can ever remember a class being wide open).
What I loved is he just kept attacking and never looked nervous or got hit with the big dual adrenaline dump, just an amazing sign. Insane he was on pace for a major basically. Also tried hard to work Kaylor over after the first takedown and was so close to having it. The kid knows he belongs. He's levels above where he was in November (as true freshman often are) when he supposedly lost the wrestleoff to Howard and was in 1 TD matches with Lujan/Berginc (not a bad result at all for a true freshman just starting but not close to what he just did to Kaylor, a much better opponent)

And Dean Peterson loses to sub 500 (who lost to Gary last year) Tyler Klinsky

And the 125 chaos continues.

Unranked Tyler Klinski of Rider storms back from 5-0 to beat #2 Dean Peterson of Rutgers...

Peterson looked completely gassed in 2nd and 3rd...

Young Mr. Davis simply has to keep winning..

And Dean Peterson loses to sub 500 (who lost to Gary last year) Tyler Klinsky
Peterson's performance looks suspiciously like a "having to weigh in on Saturday and Sunday " issue, which doesn't bode well for the post-season

Reactions: Pitchfork Rebel
And the 125 chaos continues.

Unranked Tyler Klinski of Rider storms back from 5-0 to beat #2 Dean Peterson of Rutgers...

Peterson looked completely gassed in 2nd and 3rd...

Young Mr. Davis simply has to keep winning..
And remember to drink his juice box before nappy time. 😂

Braeden Davis beat Kaylor who beat Ayala who beat Volk who beat Caleb Smith who beat Matt Ramos who of course pinned Iowa great Spencer Lee.

Braeden Davis > Spencer Lee ???
I love comparative scores. When I was in college I proved conclusively that I could beat Dan Gable, and my college (Gettysburg) would hammer then #1 Notre Dame.

Davis looks like the real deal to me. He has tremendous upside and is in just the place to develop it.

Cooper Flynn beat Ungar yesterday. He now has wins over Ungar, Surtin, and Provo (and only two very close losses to Stanich and Barnett at Midlands), so I guess he's throwing his hat in the ring, too.

Reactions: danoftw
125 has been my favorite weight to watch this year by far. Looking at the rankings, I see 20+ wrestlers who could make a run to the finals. I’ve been saying this before the osu dual but Davis is a legit AA contender.

However I saw a post on IG saying Fix and Vito may drop to 125 (Apparently Fix weighed in at 130 against NC state) which makes sense but I don’t want to see that happen for entertainment reasons. If fix drops I hope Vito drops too so fix can be a 4x runner up and it opens up the door for Nagao to win a natty.

125 has been my favorite weight to watch this year by far. Looking at the rankings, I see 20+ wrestlers who could make a run to the finals. I’ve been saying this before the osu dual but Davis is a legit AA contender.

However I saw a post on IG saying Fix and Vito may drop to 125 (Apparently Fix weighed in at 130 against NC state) which makes sense but I don’t want to see that happen for entertainment reasons. If fix drops I hope Vito drops too so fix can be a 4x runner up and it opens up the door for Nagao to win a natty.
so does this mean Robbie Howard era is over??

FWIW (I know some think Coach Grey is a liar), but today's weekend summary included this statement about 133:

Vito is week to week but we are hopeful and excited to have him back in the lineup soon at 133LBS. Can't discuss further because of HIPAA.

FWIW (I know some think Coach Grey is a liar), but today's weekend summary included this statement about 133:
HIPAA? HIPAA doesn’t apply to him unless he’s the team doctor, too. LOL. I mean, he doesn’t have to give anyone any information for any reason if he doesn’t want to, but HIPAA is a pretty stupid excuse.

Reactions: wrestlingfan22
The Department of Health and Human Services can only enforce HIPAA-related penalties against “covered entities” as they are defined by the regulations. The regulations define covered entities as healthcare providers, health plans and healthcare clearinghouses who engage in any number of electronic transactions. A healthcare provider under HIPAA is a person or company that furnishes, bills or is paid for health care. This definition is fairly broad and encompasses not only hospitals and physicians, but also includes chiropractors, dentists, optometrists, hospitals, schools, nonprofit organizations that provide some healthcare services, and even government agencies. However, the true scope of parties that are affected by HIPAA does not end there.

A number of employers have also found that they are covered entities under HIPAA because of their activities running a group health plan for their employees. Typically, these employers are electing to be treated as “hybrid entities” to limit the effect of HIPAA’s restrictions to the specific section of their organization that runs the health plan. However, even as a hybrid entity, these employers must undergo all of the typical HIPAA preparation activities, and this can be an expensive proposition.

Finally, there are many companies or individuals that provide services to covered entities that require the use of protected health information. These companies or individuals are called business associates. While they are not liable for penalties under HIPAA, they will find that many business contracts will have to be renegotiated and business practices changed to reflect the privacy requirements.

It would appear that the rules for HIPAA (health care information) and FERPA (student educational information) is not always clear cut. It wouldn't be a surprise if athletes, especially those on scholarship were asked or required to give authorization for release of medical information as part of the paper work for the scholarship( like in most professional athletic contracts)
If the releases are signed, then the team can give out healthcare information. Without the signed release it is not always clearcut. Obviously, an injury that occurs in public (broken leg that is clear on the field of play) will be in the public domain.
Individual schools also may choose to adopt policies that prevent disclosure of medical information on their athletes even if HIPAA or FERPA do apply.
Most of the discussion of the health care of athletes is primarily an issue as it applies to gambling, so as to prevent manipulation of the odds, or provide insider information to a small group of people. If there wasn't gambling, why would the information matter?

HIPAA? HIPAA doesn’t apply to him unless he’s the team doctor, too. LOL. I mean, he doesn’t have to give anyone any information for any reason if he doesn’t want to, but HIPAA is a pretty stupid excuse.
I actually think HIPAA does apply to the specifics of an injury. Here's what I read:
College coaches can be legitimately covered under HIPAA from discussing their players' individual health situations. For instance, under the law, a coach is not allowed to say anything about Johnny Quarterback's leg injury, but if he says "three-quarters of my team came down with the flu," that's not in violation of HIPAA.

So Coach Grey provides information that Vito is expected back soon, is expected back at 133, and this is because of some medical issue, and that's your reaction? Or is he just lying again about it all? I thought I'd provide some insight into whether Vito is dropping to 125, but I guess some don't appreciate the effort.

The Department of Health and Human Services can only enforce HIPAA-related penalties against “covered entities” as they are defined by the regulations. The regulations define covered entities as healthcare providers, health plans and healthcare clearinghouses who engage in any number of electronic transactions. A healthcare provider under HIPAA is a person or company that furnishes, bills or is paid for health care. This definition is fairly broad and encompasses not only hospitals and physicians, but also includes chiropractors, dentists, optometrists, hospitals, schools, nonprofit organizations that provide some healthcare services, and even government agencies. However, the true scope of parties that are affected by HIPAA does not end there.

A number of employers have also found that they are covered entities under HIPAA because of their activities running a group health plan for their employees. Typically, these employers are electing to be treated as “hybrid entities” to limit the effect of HIPAA’s restrictions to the specific section of their organization that runs the health plan. However, even as a hybrid entity, these employers must undergo all of the typical HIPAA preparation activities, and this can be an expensive proposition.

Finally, there are many companies or individuals that provide services to covered entities that require the use of protected health information. These companies or individuals are called business associates. While they are not liable for penalties under HIPAA, they will find that many business contracts will have to be renegotiated and business practices changed to reflect the privacy requirements.

It would appear that the rules for HIPAA (health care information) and FERPA (student educational information) is not always clear cut. It wouldn't be a surprise if athletes, especially those on scholarship were asked or required to give authorization for release of medical information as part of the paper work for the scholarship( like in most professional athletic contracts)
If the releases are signed, then the team can give out healthcare information. Without the signed release it is not always clearcut. Obviously, an injury that occurs in public (broken leg that is clear on the field of play) will be in the public domain.
Individual schools also may choose to adopt policies that prevent disclosure of medical information on their athletes even if HIPAA or FERPA do apply.
Most of the discussion of the health care of athletes is primarily an issue as it applies to gambling, so as to prevent manipulation of the odds, or provide insider information to a small group of people. If there wasn't gambling, why would the information matter?

"it is not always clearcut."
It's never clear cut.

My wife is an RN for that other university dominated health system. At one time their HR (remember, according to Dogbert's Top Secret Management Handbook HR is "like lawyers, but without the charm and verbal skills") instructed the nursing and dietary staff to turn over patient selections, a passerby in the hall might notice something like a sodium restriction that would allow the inference of hypertension or renal failure.

Of course three years ago, all sorts of people who otherwise thought that they weren't entitled to know" PHI" (Protected Health Information) suddenly though you should be required to present your papers before entering some edifice or other. HR departments suddenly and collectively forgot about HIPAA.

So Coach Grey provides information that Vito is expected back soon, is expected back at 133, and this is because of some medical issue, and that's your reaction? Or is he just lying again about it all? I thought I'd provide some insight into whether Vito is dropping to 125, but I guess some don't appreciate the effort.
Does that mean Vito will get better right after 1/13? ;)

Can someone explain to me the 125 lb rankings on Intermat? Davis is undefeated with wins over the current number 15, number 30 and 32 wrestlers but is not ranked himself. I guess it will all work out in time, but that's a real lack of respect.

Can someone explain to me the 125 lb rankings on Intermat? Davis is undefeated with wins over the current number 15, number 30 and 32 wrestlers but is not ranked himself. I guess it will all work out in time, but that's a real lack of respect.
They are waiting to see if his redshirt is pulled before ranking him.

Reactions: jmadden1998

Reactions: Pitchfork Rebel
Brock Mauller (Missouri) over Daniel Cardenas (Stanford) (Dec 14-8)

Mauller ranked 12 by Flo and Cardenas 6.

The secret to getting a high ranking at 125 is not to wrestle.

the-only-winning-move.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT