149: Retherford, #1
157: Nolf, #1
165: Joseph, #4
174: Nickal, #1
184: Rasheed, #15
197: Cassar, #20
Hwt: Nevills, #14

Team Rank: PSU, #1
That line-up is absolute nails. Not a better one in the country.

One further, how about preseason rankings, all guess work but let's attempt it:

125: Suriano, #5
133: Cortez, #9
141: Gulibon, #12
149: Retherford, #1
157: Nolf, #1
165: Joseph, #4
174: Nickal, #1
184: Rasheed, #15
197: Cassar, #20
Hwt: Nevills, #14

Team Rank: PSU, #1
Suriano and Joseph are not going to be ranked that high preseason. Cassar won't be that low. The young guys might finish that high, no doubt.

Certainly looks like a lineup where you could AA almost everywhere with the longest shots at 184 and above. Who coaches the kids at those weights:D

No mention of the article written by Tim Owen?

He seems to believe Cortez could be at 141 and Jimmy back to 133.

Reactions: dunkej01
Suriano and Joseph are not going to be ranked that high preseason. Cassar won't be that low. The young guys might finish that high, no doubt.

Certainly looks like a lineup where you could AA almost everywhere with the longest shots at 184 and above. Who coaches the kids at those weights:D

Agree, I remember Nickal barely cracking some services' early season Top 20 (some not at all) and not being recognized as a bonfide contender until after he beat Realbuto and dominated Epperly, IIRC.

No mention of the article written by Tim Owen?

He seems to believe Cortez could be at 141 and Jimmy back to 133.

Fingers crossed. I think it makes us a stronger team and puts JG back on the podium which is what he wants. I think Cortez can AA at either but will have more energy and stamina at 141 in my opinion. Makes summertime lineups fun to talk about.

Reactions: NittanyLion84
Agree, I remember Nickal barely cracking some services' early season Top 20 (some not at all) and not being recognized as a bonfide contender until after he beat Realbuto and dominated Epperly, IIRC.

Most services don't rank true frosh at all preseason and because Cenzo didn't wrestle at the NLO or the Scuffle he has pretty much nothing in the way of college results for him to be ranked preseason. Nickal was not highly ranked because he got hurt at the Scuffle and thus had no signature wins, as opposed to Nolf who made the finals of the Scuffle as a true frosh. In any case I don't put much stock in preseason rankings. The only reason I even look at them is to see what weight everyone is expected to be at.

Agree with Nova. FLO does tend to rank the freshman I believe, but will do so conservatively. They will probably want to rank Cenzo fairly high, but since he doesn't have any NCAA results to speak of, they probably slot him in behind the last returning guy with any significant wins (like over AAs). I could see him coming in in the top 10 depending on what the weight looks like. Suriano will probably debut in the 15-20 range, it will probably depend on how many NQs and RSs return at that weight. Rasheed has some quality wins at 165 and if he beats out Cutch he will probably slot in where Cutch would have (10-15). Doubtful Cassar would be ranked.

Until then poor Jammen had been holding out hope that Nickal was overrated due to his redshirt year loss to McCulley - a loss Jammen pointed out roughly 897 times on various boards

Fingers crossed. I think it makes us a stronger team and puts JG back on the podium which is what he wants. I think Cortez can AA at either but will have more energy and stamina at 141 in my opinion. Makes summertime lineups fun to talk about.
I'm 180 the other way. I think Jimmy would have difficulty holding 133 after going 141. Cortez should easily make 133 as he was wrestling up at 141 by design.

Agree with Nova. FLO does tend to rank the freshman I believe, but will do so conservatively. They will probably want to rank Cenzo fairly high, but since he doesn't have any NCAA results to speak of, they probably slot him in behind the last returning guy with any significant wins (like over AAs). I could see him coming in in the top 10 depending on what the weight looks like. Suriano will probably debut in the 15-20 range, it will probably depend on how many NQs and RSs return at that weight. Rasheed has some quality wins at 165 and if he beats out Cutch he will probably slot in where Cutch would have (10-15). Doubtful Cassar would be ranked.

I would love to see Rasheed and Cutch go at it. I'm not sure who wins that one. Rasheed gets a lot of deserved credit--he did very well for pulling so much weight. But I think that Cutch gets underestimated at times. I won't go into a long litany of Cutch's results (mixed to be sure), but one thing is that he has 3 wins so far over NCAA runner-up Dudley. If Cutch hadn't been hurt this year I'm confident he would have been AA.

Until then poor Jammen had been holding out hope that Nickal was overrated due to his redshirt year loss to McCulley - a loss Jammen pointed out roughly 897 times on various boards

Did Jammen mention that Nickal got injured in that match?

I would love to see Rasheed and Cutch go at it. I'm not sure who wins that one. Rasheed gets a lot of deserved credit--he did very well for pulling so much weight. But I think that Cutch gets underestimated at times. I won't go into a long litany of Cutch's results (mixed to be sure), but one thing is that he has 3 wins so far over NCAA runner-up Dudley. If Cutch hadn't been hurt this year I'm confident he would have been AA.

Mouse wreslted hurt all year long, while Shak pulled weight all year long. Both did what they did for the team and for Cael. Both are warriors and both are champions. Regardless of who gets the 184 spot next year, I am very happy with both young men and we'll be just fine.

You know Cael is always mailing stuff to his recruits, maybe it's not just pictures of them in a PSU singlet. Just saying LOL
Hey Mike, talking about mailing things, where are we with the pics? Do you need a PSU shirt for it?

I see that Sansouci (sp?) is over on HR stating that he feels Retherford is on PEDs and should be tested. Anyone know this guy? Is he being serious or just yanking chains? Also, if you do know him and he's being serious, any chance I could get you to kick his teeth down his throat? I have a few bucks if that helps...

Serious, yanking chains, it doesn't really matter. The majority of the posters on HR are as jealous of PSU right now as you can possibly be. PSU is the new Iowa and they can't stand it. Five out of the last six team championships. PSU had 5 guys in the finals. That's half of the finals. They can't stand that they don't have a single guy on their current roster that is even in the same ballpark as Zain or Nolf. Sorenson is a good wrestler but he's stuck. He can't win at 149 and he can't move up to 157, either and that infuriates them.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
Nothing inside...He couldn't make 157 for two opens which is odd for a high level wrestler who probably couldn't wait to show what he's made of to the PSU fans and the country. So if he can't cut an additional eight pounds, tells me the cut is quite a haul (25 or more).

After seeing him this weekend, it made sense. Some dudes just get big quicker on a college weight program . I think he'll be your 65 next year but it's going to be rough for him to keep it.

There's no evidence he's cutting 25 or more lbs. Maybe you'd like him to be cutting that much weight, but that number was pulled out of thin air.

Serious, yanking chains, it doesn't really matter. The majority of the posters on HR are as jealous of PSU right now as you can possibly be. PSU is the new Iowa and they can't stand it. Five out of the last six team championships. PSU had 5 guys in the finals. That's half of the finals. They can't stand that they don't have a single guy on their current roster that is even in the same ballpark as Zain or Nolf. Sorenson is a good wrestler but he's stuck. He can't win at 149 and he can't move up to 157, either and that infuriates them.
I like Gilman a lot as a wrestler. Much more offensive minded than Clark or Sorenson.

There's no evidence he's cutting 25 or more lbs. Maybe you'd like him to be cutting that much weight, but that number was pulled out of thin air.

Totally agree it's conjecture on my part. But here's what we do know: He could not make 157 last year for the Scuffle and another open which means:

1)He didn't really care about wrestling in the opens and was undisciplined in his weight cutting approach.

2)The cut was significant. While significant can mean different things to different people, a cut of 20 pounds from full feed can be handled by most wrestlers, even at the high school level.

Now he could have been undisciplined in his approach. Freshman are gonna freshman. But twice? Think the staff would have had a tighter handle on it the second time. So I'm guessing #2. The kid just grew a crapload.

Once again, this all just opinion, experience and eyeball. I am not there at the scale

Unless Cael has changed his approach I think neither of your conjectures are provable. When Cael was at ISU he took a very hands off approach to the redshirts weight. He focused on improving wrestling skills and let guys succeed or fail on the merit of self discipline. Joseph probably wanted to go 157 but broke during the cut by starting too late or simply eating the wrong foods at the wrong times (my turn for complete conjecture). I would trust the staff to be much more involved should he ever need a significant cut in the future. Cael doesn't like big weight cuts in general, and is not shy talking to parents and youth wrestlers about allowing yourself to grow and compete. It is an area where I really believe he was ahead of the curve several years ago. Guys on his teams certainly cut weight, and some cut extreme amounts, but as a large sample the guys who wrestle for Cael will tend to climb weight classes more than guys at Iowa or OSU. This is just a general observation from following Cael as a wrestler and coach. Joseph is a beast at any weight, and the entire upper half of the line up is going to be interesting to watch unfold these next few years. Many very tough young men for a few spots.

Reactions: Sullivan
Interesting match!

How about the cartwheel/flip Nolf does to get out of the shot Cenzo gets in deep on him, crazy. Do you practice that or just hit it naturally? What athlete's these guys are, just so fun to watch.

Interesting match!

How about the cartwheel/flip Nolf does to get out of the shot Cenzo gets in deep on him, crazy. Do you practice that or just hit it naturally? What athlete's these guys are, just so fun to watch.

I think you probably practice it a ton so that you can hit it naturally. Nolf hits rolls from a variety of positions, but I can't recall seeing anyone try to hit that against an opponent about to finish a double. His instincts are off the charts.

I think you probably practice it a ton so that you can hit it naturally. Nolf hits rolls from a variety of positions, but I can't recall seeing anyone try to hit that against an opponent about to finish a double. His instincts are off the charts.
Was that pretty much like what Terao hit on Tomasello at NCAA match for 3rd?

The new article on Flo, seems to imply that it is POSSIBLE, not probable but POSSIBLE, that Cael could go with Cenzo at 165, Mark at 174, and move Bo up to 184.

Again, not probable, but possible.

Was that pretty much like what Terao hit on Tomasello at NCAA match for 3rd?
If it's the moment I'm thinking of, Terao did that escaping from bottom, so it was nearer to a Granby, except that Terao elevated more than a typical Granby, and turned in instead of away. And Nato didn't follow it, leaving himself nearly stuck. Bo Nickal hit something similar in the Cal Poly dual (I think), and wound up getting the pin when the guy didn't follow.

Nolf rolled when Cenzo was facing him and in deep, a point where nearly everyone else who knows what they're doing drops their hips and sprawls, or gives it up and turns so you're at least not giving up backs. Nolf is the exception to numerous rules.

If it's the moment I'm thinking of, Terao did that escaping from bottom, so it was nearer to a Granby, except that Terao elevated more than a typical Granby, and turned in instead of away. And Nato didn't follow it, leaving himself nearly stuck. Bo Nickal hit something similar in the Cal Poly dual (I think), and wound up getting the pin when the guy didn't follow.

Nolf rolled when Cenzo was facing him and in deep, a point where nearly everyone else who knows what they're doing drops their hips and sprawls, or gives it up and turns so you're at least not giving up backs. Nolf is the exception to numerous rules.
Thank you, Tikk10, for the educated analysis! I'm going to find the Terao video and watch it and think about what you're saying. May I ask you to analyze IMar's rolls in comparison to the other rolls? For example, IMar has two rolls at 3:07 and 3:17 of his NCAA Final match with Nolf.

Jered Cortez will be 133 and Jimmy Gulibon will be 141 for the Nittany Lions at the 2017 Big Ten Wrestling Championships.

Mark Hall will be deferring enrollment for the 2016-2017 NCAA season and training between Olympic Training Center and Nittany Lion Wrestling Club.

You are rock solid on your record, so I'll buy em both.

Keep rolling, who you got at 184 and 197 for us?

Thank you, Tikk10, for the educated analysis! I'm going to find the Terao video and watch it and think about what you're saying. May I ask you to analyze IMar's rolls in comparison to the other rolls? For example, IMar has two rolls at 3:07 and 3:17 of his NCAA Final match with Nolf.
At the the 3:07 mark, with Nolf to his side, IMar just tries a half-baked somersault, I don't know if it deserves a more technical name, but it's not a Granby, and Nolf easily follows. At 3:17, with Nolf tight on his waist, IMar does a Granby, except that he turns in and twists toward his stomach, and Nolf tries to follow by keeping the tight waist, but it's a lost cause.

I just realized that I'm misremembering the Bo Nickal Granby; it was against Bryce Hammond (CSUB, not Cal Poly) and it's Hammond that tries the Granby, not Bo, except that he, like IMar, turns in at the end instead of away. like you're taught. Except Nickal doesn't try to follow, and instead just flattens Hammond as he's turning in. Not sure Jason would've been able to do the same against IMar because IMar is crazy strong, but it was still risky given that he's trying it against the one guy who we all know can stick him.

Reactions: Dogwelder
At the the 3:07 mark, with Nolf to his side, IMar just tries a half-baked somersault, I don't know if it deserves a more technical name, but it's not a Granby, and Nolf easily follows. At 3:17, with Nolf tight on his waist, IMar does a Granby, except that he turns in and twists toward his stomach, and Nolf tries to follow by keeping the tight waist, but it's a lost cause.

[ . . . ]

Thank you very much, Tikk10!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT