ADVERTISEMENT

Yuengling tops Sam Adams as #1 craft beer in America!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for proving my point

I'm a coffee snob, and buy/order high end coffees from all over the world. I have a french press, an automatic drip, and a Keurig all on the same counter.

I think Keurig is swill, but it gets the job done when I need a quick cup and don't have time to wait for the other methods.

I can tell the difference between a South American coffee and an Indonesian variety. I think East African coffees (Kenya, Uganda, Ethiopia) have superior taste and quality--so, I buy single origin (i.e. beans all come from one coffee farm) when I can find it.

But, I'm not going to sit here and tell you that you're wrong or have an immature palate because you drink dirty dish water. I think Sam Adams is a marketing creation more than one born of true/superior quality, and also that most craft beers taste like shit because of hops.

All of the above is okay, and no need to lecture someone on what "is" good beer or coffee, because it depends on what the definition of "is" is.

This post was edited on 4/2 10:18 AM by psuguy04

Re: Everyone has their "thing"

Originally posted by psuguy04:
You like hoppy beer. I don't. I think Sam Adams tastes like taint. You don't.

I'm not going to change your mind, and I don't need to be told I'm wrong or that my palate isn't what it should be. I hate Sam Adams--have tried many of their beers, and just don't like them.
I've never said your palate isn't what it should be, in fact I am glad it is what it is. Good craft beer is hard enough to get. Do you think I liked hoppy beers the first time I tried them? With anything in life, you start off bland and your palate evolves. It's not an insult if someone tells me I don't have a matured palate for Whiskey, Coffee, Cheese, etc. It's just the truth, and there is nothing wrong with it.

Re: To each their own, but I say YOU are officially insane....

Sorry man, but most mass produced domestic beer simply is not good. BTW hipsters drink PBR, but if you didn't know that and brag about Yuengling as a good beer,,,,you're that guy.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 4/2 10:19 AM by LaJolla Lion

Re: Thanks for proving my point

I'm a coffee snob, and buy/order high end coffees from all over the world. I have a french press, an automatic drip, and a Keurig all on the same counter.

I think Keurig is swill, but it gets the job done when I need a quick cup and don't have time to wait for the other methods.

I can tell the difference between a South American coffee and an Indonesian variety. I think East African coffees (Kenya, Uganda, Ethiopia) have superior taste and quality--so, I buy single origin (i.e. beans all come from one coffee farm) when I can find it.

But, I'm not going to sit here and tell you that you're wrong or have an immature palate because you drink dirty dish water. I think Sam Adams is a marketing creation more than one born of true/superior quality, and also that most craft beers taste like shit because of hops.

All of the above is okay, and no need to lecture someone on what "is" good beer or coffee, because it depends on what the definition of "is" is.

This post was edited on 4/2 10:18 AM by psuguy04
It's OK to tell me I have an immature coffee palate, because it's true and I'm an adult... I can handle the truth. Next time I post in a coffee related thread about how my Folgers crystals are better than you cat-shit coffee, have at it. Just like when I start posting that my rusted 1992 Honda accord is better than your 1969 Shelby Mustang in a car thread, someone should feel free to tell me I'm wrong.

It's insane to think that Sam Adams is a marketing creation. They've won many awards over the years, and survived a very packed craft beer market for a long time.

Re: SMH - That's all I can do anymore at your ridiculous posts. **

It's what we've been doing at your posts for years!

I'll take Apples and Oranges for $2000 Alex

But, it's all good.
I'm sure Yuengling won an award once too. The difference is that Sam Adams has won lots of awards. In fact they have won more awards around the globe, more than any brand in history. But yeah... it's just marketing.

Link

+1 !!!!!

Very well said!! Glad I'm not the only one who thinks the way you do. I think of Yuengling as a novelty and drink it when available. But when I sit down and want to drink and enjoy a beer, there are so many better choices.

Cheers!

Agree wholeheartedly

Originally posted by jjsocrates:

FYI...there is a reason why Yuengling doesn't taste that good and its the same reason why people are scratching their heads about them being listed as a craft brewer: they use adjunct ingredients.

Same reason Bud, Miller, Coors all suck. Beer's primary ingredient should be malt barley (in some cases, oats or wheat can also be substituted for a particular style) but most of these macro-beers use large amounts of corn and corn sugar as primary ingredients. This is why I say that Bud is "beer for people who don't like the taste of beer" - besides, any beer company that tells you to drink their beer ice cold is probably aware that ice cold liquids dull the taste buds, so they're aware that their beer sucks. Bud literally tastes like corn flakes soaked in a glass of water overnight. Compared to the macrobeers made by those big three companies, Yuengling is far superior, but compared to many great micro/crafts, Yuengling sucks.

Of course, I've had my fill of mediocre craft beers too. A handful of them are faux-craft beers owned by A/B, and a lot of craft beers just use crappy ingredients. I've gotten to the point where I can taste when a brewer uses corn syrup in beer - it has a sickening sweet quality that is definetely NOT coming from maltose.

Sam Adams still makes good beer and is a far superior product to Yuengling. If you're not a fan of a Sam Adams, you probably don't like the taste of beer. Problem with Sam is that most craft beer fans recognize that Sam is a good beer, but there are so many other craft beers even better. Plus, Sam Adams is getting ridiculous with all the different styles it makes.

Of course, this list is ranked by sales volume, not quality of beer. For my money, my (very subjective) favorites are:
Dogfish Head
Victory
Bell's
Founders
New Holland
Sierra Nevada
Rogue
Stone
Ballast Point
Like most of us on this board, I drank my share of Yuengling and considered it a 'treat' compared to what we usually bought in college (the natty and beasts of the world). However, after becoming a fan of beer, brewing my own, trying hundreds of varieties and visiting numerous breweries, I now find Yuengling only marginally better than the big 3 (Bud, Coors, Miller). It's not even in the realm of craft. I find Sam Adams to be significantly better than Yuengling, but still well below the crafts. That's to be expected though, its inevitable you'll lose quality if you mass produce, no way around it. It's why there isn't a chain of French Laundry's around the country all serving up the best food in America.

My dad still swears by Yuengling. It's all he drinks. But he's also a guy who drank Molson before Yuengling made it's way out to OH. There's nothing wrong with that, it's a fine beer for people who don't really enjoy the stronger flavors of a true craft beer, but just want a simple, consistent, lightly flavored lager. But I have no problem saying which is the "better" beer between a Sam Adams and Yuengling.

This is hardly a subjective debate. You might like McDonalds more than Mortons, but there's really no argument that Mortons is better. There's nothing wrong if you prefer McDonalds, but it's silly to pretend it's actually the better food.

Yuengling is a good cheap beer, but not a craft beer*

Craft beers don't use corn or rice as a primary ingredient.

Isley's chipped ham. Yeah we grew up with that. I think I can still

remember the taste. The Isleys was in a plaza in Hickory Twp. Now Hermitage.

Re: Agree wholeheartedly

Originally posted by wbcincy:

FYI...there is a reason why Yuengling doesn't taste that good and its the same reason why people are scratching their heads about them being listed as a craft brewer: they use adjunct ingredients.

Same reason Bud, Miller, Coors all suck. Beer's primary ingredient should be malt barley (in some cases, oats or wheat can also be substituted for a particular style) but most of these macro-beers use large amounts of corn and corn sugar as primary ingredients. This is why I say that Bud is "beer for people who don't like the taste of beer" - besides, any beer company that tells you to drink their beer ice cold is probably aware that ice cold liquids dull the taste buds, so they're aware that their beer sucks. Bud literally tastes like corn flakes soaked in a glass of water overnight. Compared to the macrobeers made by those big three companies, Yuengling is far superior, but compared to many great micro/crafts, Yuengling sucks.

Of course, I've had my fill of mediocre craft beers too. A handful of them are faux-craft beers owned by A/B, and a lot of craft beers just use crappy ingredients. I've gotten to the point where I can taste when a brewer uses corn syrup in beer - it has a sickening sweet quality that is definetely NOT coming from maltose.

Sam Adams still makes good beer and is a far superior product to Yuengling. If you're not a fan of a Sam Adams, you probably don't like the taste of beer. Problem with Sam is that most craft beer fans recognize that Sam is a good beer, but there are so many other craft beers even better. Plus, Sam Adams is getting ridiculous with all the different styles it makes.

Of course, this list is ranked by sales volume, not quality of beer. For my money, my (very subjective) favorites are:
Dogfish Head
Victory
Bell's
Founders
New Holland
Sierra Nevada
Rogue
Stone
Ballast Point
Like most of us on this board, I drank my share of Yuengling and considered it a 'treat' compared to what we usually bought in college (the natty and beasts of the world). However, after becoming a fan of beer, brewing my own, trying hundreds of varieties and visiting numerous breweries, I now find Yuengling only marginally better than the big 3 (Bud, Coors, Miller). It's not even in the realm of craft. I find Sam Adams to be significantly better than Yuengling, but still well below the crafts. That's to be expected though, its inevitable you'll lose quality if you mass produce, no way around it. It's why there isn't a chain of French Laundry's around the country all serving up the best food in America.

My dad still swears by Yuengling. It's all he drinks. But he's also a guy who drank Molson before Yuengling made it's way out to OH. There's nothing wrong with that, it's a fine beer for people who don't really enjoy the stronger flavors of a true craft beer, but just want a simple, consistent, lightly flavored lager. But I have no problem saying which is the "better" beer between a Sam Adams and Yuengling.

This is hardly a subjective debate. You might like McDonalds more than Mortons, but there's really no argument that Mortons is better. There's nothing wrong if you prefer McDonalds, but it's silly to pretend it's actually the better food.
Exactly what I've been trying to say... well done!

Note that I was responding to an idiotic post(er).....

...where the poster was speaking (writing) in absolutes -- As in, he knows what beer type/style/whatever is best and anyone who disagrees is wrong.

My objective was to basically respond in kind (so hopefully he would be able to read it, understand how wrong is the line of thinking, then realize it's just like his post, then realize just how wrong is his line of thinking. But I softened mine a tad with "to each their own."

And based on his responses, it didn't sink in.

Oh well.

Re: The truth about Yuengling, Sam Adams, craft beer and those who drink beer

I don't think anyone could have said any better than you just did. Good job! You wre describing me to a T.. Our tastes change, and mature just as most people mature as they grow older. I went from Miller Lite to Yuengling to real craft beers, and now find Lite almost undrinkable, and Yuengling does not taste as good to me as it used to. Give me a nice hoppy IPA or smooth stout any day, and don't even get me started on barrel-aged beers. Ten years ago I would have told you that you were crazy to think I would ever drink a stout, and now I actually prefer them. And by the way, Voodoo Brewery in Meadville, Pa (and now in Homestead) is making some of the best beers I have ever had, which rank up there with Russian River, Founders and the like. Their recent release of barrel-aged beers was outstanding.

Good joke I heard the other day

One of the secretaries was saying something to me about a relative of hers having a gluten allergy. Fellow co-worker walks by, says "yeah, I think I'm allergic to gluten too. After a few wheat beers I always seem to lose my balance."

Hoppy beers are big sellers but there are tons of craft beers with low hops

Not all craft beers are high in hops. There are tons of exceptional craft beers out there that are low in hops.

There is a measure that beer makers use to indicate the hoppiness of the beer: IBU.

Budweiser has an IBU of 7-8. Alcohol 5%
Yuengling has an IBU of 12. Alcohol 4.5%

In contrast, an IPA has a very high IBU and a much higher alcohol content.
Ballast Pint Sculpin has an IBU of 70. alcohol 7%
Stone IPA has an IBU of 77 - alcohol 6.7%

Then from there, there are Double IPAs which have even more hops and alcohol.
Ballast Pint Dorado IBU of 90 and alcohol of 10%
Stone Ruination IBU of 100+ and alcohol of 8.2%

There are a lot of craft beers that have lower alcohol and IBUs.
Ballast Point Longfin - IBU of 18 and alcohol of 4.5%
Ballast Point Wahoo - IBU of 12 and alchohol of 4.5%
Oskar Blues Yella Pils - IBU of 35 and ABC of 5.3%
Wiehenstephaner Heffeweissbier - IBUof 14 and BV 5.4%

Thus, not all craft beers are super hoppy. The hoppy beers just happen to be the ones most consumers are buying these days.

That said, if you like corn or rice based beers instead of beers made with traditional ingredients, that is fine. To each his own.

LOL, I love silly jokes like that. **

Originally posted by wbcincy:
One of the secretaries was saying something to me about a relative of hers having a gluten allergy. Fellow co-worker walks by, says "yeah, I think I'm allergic to gluten too. After a few wheat beers I always seem to lose my balance."

There are breweries down the street from TCF that have good variety in IBU

Fate and Avery are but two examples in Boulder. Fate in particular also has some pretty good food to pair with their beer based on the time I came through there on business. But as is typical, TCF would rather posture as some kind of beer expert and try to bully the other posters in this thread who actually know something about beer. Laughable and pathetic.

This post was edited on 4/2 12:17 PM by NewEra 2014

Re: There are breweries down the street from TCF that have good variety in IBU

Originally posted by NewEra 2014:
But as is typical, TCF would rather posture as some kind of beer expert and try to bully the other posters in this thread who actually know something about beer. Laughable and pathetic.

This post was edited on 4/2 12:17 PM by NewEra 2014
Par for the course, we should all know by now that he is smarter (and faster) than everyone else on this board.

Not sure why someone who will openly admit they are not really in to beer, would feel the need to even respond in a thread like this. His time would be better spent learning what the phrase "speaking in absolutes" means, but I bet he'll NEVER understand.

Yuengling Chesterfield is better than both....

And so is Yuengling Porter.
However, there are probably 15 breweries in Oregon alone that brew better beer.

Wow. You packed a lot of wrong in that short post.

Not the least of which, you think Fate has some "pretty good food?" You would be the first person I've ever heard say that of Fate.

And the other thing is, I'm posturing as some kind of beer expert and bullying??? Holy crap, you need to learn how to read, or comprehend.

I'm doing just the opposite. I'm the one responding to the bully, and I'm the one who is actually saying that how good a beer is, is in the taste buds of the beholder.

Your whole post... Talk about laughable and pathetic.

Do you ever not strike out?? LOL

Comparing this discussion to the various qualities of whiskey is....

..comparing apples to cars.

Virtually everyone can tell the difference between "swell" whiskey and good whiskey, and prefer the good whiskey.

The difference/preference between "craft" beers and Yuengling is a matter of taste.

Of course, you'll tell everyone that their taste is "wrong."

Originally posted by BBrown:
Definitely agree about Sam Adams producing too many styles. Its one of the reasons I think their quality has suffered.

If you get a chance try a Heavy Sea's. Its brewed here in MD and some of the styles are very good.
My personal favorite is Riptide but I am a huge Wheat Beer fan.
Heavy Seas is fantastic, and I'm planning a trip to Baltimore to visit a few breweries in the area that I love. Especially The Brewer's Art and DuClaw - I forgot to list DuClaw, they are quickly climbing into my top ten of consistently good brews.

Originally posted by Still in State College:

nothing better than beer snobs educating everyone on the immaturity of their palates.

drink much like food and music is subjective. You like what you like. If you want to drink some 9% big ale fine but it doesn't make you more "mature" than someone that likes Coors Light.

I say live and let live.
Coors Light is the worst possible example, as that beer tastes more like water than any other beer.
Coors Light is beer for people who don't like the taste of beer. And the reason for that is the reason why its so cheap - they use very little actual "beer" ingredients. Its not unlike taking 4 ounces of that 9% big ale and then adding another 12% of pure mountain spring water. Sure, it'll taste good and be refreshing - in the same way that a cold glass of water is refreshing.

A good comparison - someone says that they like coffee, but they like it roasted as light as possible, with lots of cream and lots of sugar. Well, its "technically" coffee that you're drinking, but you're not drinking that beverage because you love coffee.

Look, if someone considers themselves a fan of good hamburgers or an excellent judge of quality pizza, and recommends you eat at McDonalds or Pizza Hut - you can't argue with the fact that they are certainly eating burgers and pizza, but you CAN comment on the quality of the product they are choosing. Call me a "burger snob" or a "pizza snob" but frankly, that food sucks, and so does Coors Light.

You mean you guys aren't enthralled by Coors "2-stage Cold Activation"?

How dumb was that ad campaign? And Jimmy NASCAR and Johnny Sixpack lapped it up like pudding.

All one has to know about the role chilling plays in taste is to have tap water from the cold and warm tap in succession.

While I'm not a beer aficionado for the most part, I never waste my time on our mass-produced swill. Comparing something from, say, Deschutes, Victory, Dogfish Head with the Buds and Coors of the world is like comparing cheese to chalk - it's like they're 2 entirely different substances.

Originally posted by Still in State College:

nothing better than beer snobs educating everyone on the immaturity of their palates.

drink much like food and music is subjective. You like what you like. If you want to drink some 9% big ale fine but it doesn't make you more "mature" than someone that likes Coors Light.

I say live and let live.
Coors Light is the worst possible example, as that beer tastes more like water than any other beer.
Coors Light is beer for people who don't like the taste of beer. And the reason for that is the reason why its so cheap - they use very little actual "beer" ingredients. Its not unlike taking 4 ounces of that 9% big ale and then adding another 12% of pure mountain spring water. Sure, it'll taste good and be refreshing - in the same way that a cold glass of water is refreshing.

A good comparison - someone says that they like coffee, but they like it roasted as light as possible, with lots of cream and lots of sugar. Well, its "technically" coffee that you're drinking, but you're not drinking that beverage because you love coffee.

Look, if someone considers themselves a fan of good hamburgers or an excellent judge of quality pizza, and recommends you eat at McDonalds or Pizza Hut - you can't argue with the fact that they are certainly eating burgers and pizza, but you CAN comment on the quality of the product they are choosing. Call me a "burger snob" or a "pizza snob" but frankly, that food sucks, and so does Coors Light.
Exactly. If someone says McDonalds and Pizza Hut are better than Peter Luger's and Pizzeria Vetri, you could say "well that's just a matter of taste," and you'd be right. But objectively, there's really no question which is better, even if someone's personal tastes differ.

A few other things:

There are literally 100 different styles of beer, most invented or created by crazy American craft brewers. But overall, there are probably 20-25 main distinct styles.

Macro-brewed beers like Coors, Bud, Miller are essentially the exact same style: American Pale Lagers a poor-mans bastardization of German pilseners. There are millions of people who think that those are "beers" while the heavier maltier stuff is swill...which is the exact opposite. Macro-brewers, especially Bud aren't making beer - they're making corn-water, with very little hops. The alcohol is being fermented from corn sugar...all adjunct ingredients. But whatever that stuff is, its not really beer. When you use actual malt barley and actually use hops, you create a stronger more flavorful beer. And you actually MAKE beer.

If your tastes are towards American Pale Lagers, that's fine - just recognize what you ARE drinking is literally the most watered down, least flavorful of all beer styles, IF you can actually call it beer. You want to make an American Pale Lager by using a craft beer? Pour a shot of a strong malty craft beer into a 10 oz glass of water and poof! you've got a Coors.

Most "beer snobs" look down on Bud, because it doesn't taste like beer. It tastes like fermented corn juice. And not all "beer snobs" like big hoppy beers - which is basically 2 or 3 styles of the many beer types. Just so happens that hoppy pale ales are one of the most popular beers because a lot of beer drinkers like the smell and flavor of big hoppy beers - floral, piney, grapefruity. That's fine if you're not an IPA fan, but folks - instead of drinking American Corn Lagers, try something malty and not too hoppy like a Marzen/Oktoberfest. If you don't like the taste of THAT - you have to admit that you literally just don't like the taste of beer.

Also - people who like strong malty beers also tend to like really good scotches. Its the strong malty flavors - and actually, scotch is nothing more than fermented beer. Bourbon IS made with corn, which I have no problem with, because they actually use LOTS of corn, AND they don't use that crappy corn syrup stuff.

Finally, let's end debate by ranking beers - a beer snob subjective list, which you'll find is probably true for most other snobs:
Bud 1/2 star
Coors 1 star
Miller 1 star
Corona 1 1/2 stars
Michelob 2 stars
Blue Moon 2 1/2 stars
Yuengling 2 1/2 stars
Newcastle Brown 2 1/2 stars
Sam Adams Lager 3 stars
Sam Adams seasonals 3 1/2 stars
Victory Pale Ale 4 stars
Guinness 4 1/2 stars
Heady Topper 5 stars
KBS Stout - ? stars, dunno - gonna try it tonight for the first time!

General rule:
MOST craft brewers > Sam Adams > Yuengling > American pale Lagers

I've had some BAD craft brew. But not because it was too hoppy, but rather because it was a brewer using adjuncts and trying to pass it off as crafty.

I can't even debate someone who only drinks Budweiser or Corona making fun of someone drinking a Guinness. Making fun of what? The fact that they're drinking a big strong malty beer?

I agree with you, fish. I've ventured into several of the...

micro-brewery establishments in the sports district and have the same impression. I'll take a Yuengling Lager of most any of them.

One reason for that is that Sam Adams is available all over..

the world. Yuengling is not.

Agree with this

saw it yesterday and wondered 2 things, when did yeungling become craft and who was the person with no tastebuds judging this??

Definitely agree about Sam Adams producing too many styles. Its one of the reasons I think their quality has suffered.

If you get a chance try a Heavy Sea's. Its brewed here in MD and some of the styles are very good.
Heavy Seas is fantastic, and I'm planning a trip to Baltimore to visit a few breweries in the area that I love. Especially The Brewer's Art and DuClaw - I forgot to list DuClaw, they are quickly climbing into my top ten of consistently good brews.
Brewers Art is just a fun place and they have some excellent beers.
I used to go to DuClaw before it burned but since its been rebuilt I've heard good things about it.
If you are in the White Marsh Ave. area try the Red Brick Station. They have some nice brews as well.

red brick station

RATING BEERS
Great Micros (your choice)
Sam Adams
Yuengling = Killians
Sam Adams

No so good Micros (your choice)
PBR (Only because it is cheap)
Bud, Miller and other crap beers
Lite - For people that would drink piss if the media told them it was good.

This post was edited on 4/2 1:50 PM by PortlandLion

As the old line goes....Coors Light is like sex in a canoe...it's f&^king close to water!

Right now my faves are Yards (love the Brawler Ale) and Long Trail (most varieties except IPA....can't take IPA's)

Are adjunct ingredients like adjunct professors?

You're a beer snob, that's fine, we get it.

I still think Boston Lager blows, we get that too.

I just wonder how many people are truly "beer snobs" like you, and appreciate/understand the differences between what you define as swill and what you define as beer. From what I've seen in life, there are many. But, there are also a lot of people who like to show up with the latest 6er of a shitty tasting microbrew that no one has ever heard of.

Brewers Art is just a fun place and they have some excellent beers.
I used to go to DuClaw before it burned but since its been rebuilt I've heard good things about it.
If you are in the White Marsh Ave. area try the Red Brick Station. They have some nice brews as well.
I like DuClaw, but it's not nearly as good as the Brewer's art or Heavy Seas. The other local places in Baltimore that are so good... DuClaw just doesn't stack up. They have too many beers on tap, I'd rather have 3-5 really good beers than 20 so-so beers. Their food is decent, but not great. It is a good place, better than many I've been too. But I just don't have time for it when my travels take me through Baltimore... I gotta hit the brewer's art and Heavy Seas.

Beers better than Yuengling, Sam Adams, and most crafts:

Peroni
Pilsner Urquel
Grolsch
Heineken
Modelo
Stella Artois
Moosehead
Corona
Hoegaarden
NewCastle
Bass