ADVERTISEMENT

Yuengling tops Sam Adams as #1 craft beer in America!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGLOV

Gold Member
http://money.cnn.com/2015/04/01/news/companies/yuengling-sam-adams/index.html?sr=cnnmoneybin0401115yuengling0530story

Love it!!!

3dgrin.r191677.gif

Yuengling is the only beer my softball team drinks. We got taste!****

Give me Heavy Seas or Troegs any day. Never thought of Yuengling as a craft beer.

Flying Dog Irish Red Ale, good gracious me, a near-perfect beer.

I hardly drink anymore; usually only drink nowadays when I go out to a restaurant, but tried this on tap at the Olney Ale House the other day, boy, went down smooth. I'm very partial to Fat Tire, and this was very similar, but a cut above, I think. Most Irish Reds are a little thin, I think (think Leinkugel's or George Killian's), but this one was perfectly balanced. Damn, a very, very nice job, better than nice, actually.

This post was edited on 4/2 3:31 AM by LionJim

I don't think of Sam Adams or Yuengling as craft beers...

...but when comparing the two, it isn't even close: Yuengling Lager is far better than anything Sam Adams offers, IMO.

Re: I don't think of Sam Adams or Yuengling as craft beers...

Originally posted by psuguy04:
...but when comparing the two, it isn't even close: Yuengling Lager is far better than anything Sam Adams offers, IMO.
I'm not even that big of a Sam Adams fan, it is the beer of last resort when all the other taps suck. But you are officially insane. I drank a ton of Yuengling in college, but I grew up and now I realize it is swill. There is barely anything Sam Adams makes that isn't better than Yuengling Lager, and that is only because they make so many different styles, there are bound to be some you don't like. Yeungling is not craft beer, it is brown Budweiser.

And you are officially a marketer's dream

Sam Adams is a fine example of marketing-created quality.

If your beer has more than two names, you are trying too hard.:)**.

*(

Re: And you are officially a marketer's dream

You beat me to it. When Sam Adams came out, my softball team drank Strohs or Moosehead by the pitcher. Now because we were all "yuppies" Sam Adams was cool because it was expensive. It tasted like crap. It was a fine marketing move to get into the heads of those in their mid to late 20s and 30s. Same thing with Yuengling. It was slop beer you couldn't give away when I was at PSU. I tried some a few times a few years back to see if the recipe had changed. It didn't, it was still lousy beer.

Marketing sells to the targeted crowd if done properly. I still prefer Corona or Moosehead, although unless you lime it, basically tastes like water. For ale, Ballantyne XXX is the only one. Fosters is OK with dinner out.

Good lord, Yuengling is not a craft beer...

Also, it's a pretty darn bad beer. If you think Yuengling is a better beer than anything Sam Adams makes then you are nuts! And that's not marketing, that's taste buds.

This post was edited on 4/2 7:26 AM by BadCompany1

Re: You like Corona and Moosehead yet you think SA sucks?

That is like saying I love Toyota Camry but I think a BMW 7 Series is a crappy car. I'm not saying SA is the be all end all of beers. They were one of the first microbrewed beers that you could get nationwide back in the day when there were very few microbreweries. I don't think the beer is as good now as it was in the early 1990s but I would still take it over the other pseudo premium beers like Moosehead, Corona, Dos Equis, Molson, Heineken, etc.

Says the guy jumping on the "America's oldest brewery" train. Yeungling simply is trying to cash in by being associated with craft beer, most are smart enough to realize what they are doing. They can claim whatever they want, their beer is still swill. There was a time when I thought I was sophisticated because I drank Yeungling, but I was also 21. You'll catch up someday.

I guess you missed the part when I said I wasn't even that big of a Sam Adam's fan. I'm so far beyond Sam Adams in the craft beer world, I drink things you racing beer fans most likely have never heard of. From places like Russian River, The alchemist, Toppling Goliath, and 3 Floyds. That being said, Sam is a solid choice when they only have Bud, Miller lite, Coors lite, and Yeungling on draft. Sam Adams beers have won plenty of awards, because they make a solid product. It's by no means great beer by today's standards, but it is light years ahead of Yeungling. And yes... Sam Adam's came on to the scene, as one of the first craft breweries in the nation, and has since persevered... solely by marketing.
rolleye0011.r191677.gif

Originally posted by kijana:

That is like saying I love Toyota Camry but I think a BMW 7 Series is a crappy car. I'm not saying SA is the be all end all of beers. They were one of the first microbrewed beers that you could get nationwide back in the day when there were very few microbreweries. I don't think the beer is as good now as it was in the early 1990s but I would still take it over the other pseudo premium beers like Moosehead, Corona, Dos Equis, Molson, Heineken, etc.
Exactly right! You can say you like your Camry better than the BMW (thus admitting you have no taste in cars), but you can't say it is better.

Sam is a solid choice that has survived because of it's consistent quality. It is garbage by today's insane craft beers standards, but it is the nectar of the gods compared to Yuengling.

Originally posted by pandaczar12:
Says the guy jumping on the "America's oldest brewery" train. Yeungling simply is trying to cash in by being associated with craft beer, most are smart enough to realize what they are doing. They can claim whatever they want, their beer is still swill. There was a time when I thought I was sophisticated because I drank Yeungling, but I was also 21. You'll catch up someday.

I guess you missed the part when I said I wasn't even that big of a Sam Adam's fan. I'm so far beyond Sam Adams in the craft beer world, I drink things you racing beer fans most likely have never heard of. From places like Russian River, The alchemist, Toppling Goliath, and 3 Floyds. That being said, Sam is a solid choice when they only have Bud, Miller lite, Coors lite, and Yeungling on draft. Sam Adams beers have won plenty of awards, because they make a solid product. It's by no means great beer by today's standards, but it is light years ahead of Yeungling. And yes... Sam Adam's came on to the scene, as one of the first craft breweries in the nation, and has since persevered... solely by marketing.
rolleye0011.r191677.gif
LOL, I'm def. more of a Sam Adams fan than you are. But I think you are pretty accurate about what you wrote.
They used to have a spring beer called White Ale that rocked.
They have a similar version called Cold Snap that is pretty good but not close to what the White Ale used to be.
I also like their Summer and Winter Ales.
Yeungling is ok but I don't see their Lager being any better than the Sam Adam's Lager.
And more than anything I would not classify either as a "craft" brewer.

But you went and mentioned one of the best beers I've ever had and thats from Russian River.
They have a Damnation Ale that is out of this world.

I brew my own beer so I do know a little of what I'm talking about.
ohwell.r191677.gif

Originally posted by kijana:

+1.

Damnation is good, as is everything they make. I prefer supplication. Their hoppy beers are almost impossible to find out of California, Their blind Pig, Pliny the Elder, and Pliny the Younger are simply fantastic. Specifically Younger is one of the greatest beers on the planet, and a must try if you ever get a chance, but it is also one of the hardest to get. Russian River has a great brewpub in Santa Rosa, they have quite a few things they will never bottle on draft, all really good. Their sampler is like 20 beers, it is insane.

img_20111230_1547471.jpg

Originally posted by pandaczar12:
Damnation is good, as is everything they make. I prefer supplication. Their hoppy beers are almost impossible to find out of California, Their blind Pig, Pliny the Elder, and Pliny the Younger are simply fantastic. Specifically Younger is one of the greatest beers on the planet, and a must try if you ever get a chance, but it is also one of the hardest to get. Russian River has a great brewpub in Santa Rosa, they have quite a few things they will never bottle on draft, all really good. Their sampler is like 20 beers, it is insane.

img_20111230_1547471.jpg
Pliny the Elder is excellent, Pliny the Younger is too Hoppy for me.
I've been lucky enough to taste them in Temecula, CA and in Joshua Tree.
There used to be a distributor in DE that I cold get some from but unfortunately they either stopped shipping it there or they stopped selling it.
sad0004.r191677.gif

To each their own, but I say YOU are officially insane....

I live in Boulder, CO -- In the heart of the land of "craft beer" -- And I would take a Yuengling Lager over any of the over-hoppified $hit these places are producing.

It's like they're just trying to see who can squeeze the most hops, along with seasonal "flavors," to see who can get the hipsters (and wanna-kinda-be hipsters) to pretend it's the new "best beer ever."

And if you think Yuengling Lager is anywhere remotely close to Bud, then I'm guessing you're one of these people.

This post was edited on 4/2 8:55 AM by thecoolestfish

The truth about Yuengling, Sam Adams, craft beer and those who drink beer

I used to love Yuengling and promote it as much as anyone, but then again, I used to think Isleys chipped ham was good eating, and playing with Star Wars action figures was fun. But a funny thing happened, I grew up. I don't care if Bud Light, Miller Lite, or Coors Light is your beer of choice...whatever floats your boat. But to think that Yuengling is "craft beer" is laughable. Anyone that has gone away from Yuengling for a considerable amount of time to experience real craft beers has probably had the same reaction when they came back to Yuengling.....OMG how did I drink this crap for so long? And chances are, if you drink Yuengling and enjoy it, you probably think all the hoppy IPA's are crap and can't understand why people drink it. To you, a Bell's Two Hearted Ale or NoDa Hop Drop 'n Roll are undrinkable. And you know what? That's OK to think that. Just know that you are akin to the person who still loves Isleys chipped ham and plays with action figures. Nothing wrong with it, but maybe it's time to grow up.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

As for Sam Adams, talk to any craft brewer. Most will credit Sam Adams with starting the craft beer craze. Love them or hate them, Sam Adams embodies what craft beer making was about at the time, which was making something better than yellow fizzy beer that most people drank. Of course, many of the new craft beers have done to Sam Adams what Sam Adams did to yellow fizzy beer. But to lump Sam in with the big boys as simply being marketing geniuses is simply not fair.

Bottom line, Yuengling is a good step above yellow fizzy beer and Sam Adams is a good step above Yuengling. But to argue which is better? It's kind of like Bill Gates looking in on Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers arguing over which one of them is richer.

Says TCF as he listens to music on his 8-track and thinks the kids who

listen to music on these new fangled CD's are "wanna-kinda-be" hipsters. If you indeed are living in "the heartland of craft beer" and drinking Yuengling on a regular basis, you are missing out. I tend to agree with many of your posts TCF, but this is a classic example of you believing "since TCF doesn't like it, it must not be good and everyone else who likes it is a poser/ pretender/ hipster doofus".

Open your eyes and your tastebuds Fish, you are missing out.

This post was edited on 4/2 9:07 AM by PSU95alum

FYI...there is a reason why Yuengling doesn't taste that good and its the same reason why people are scratching their heads about them being listed as a craft brewer: they use adjunct ingredients.

Same reason Bud, Miller, Coors all suck. Beer's primary ingredient should be malt barley (in some cases, oats or wheat can also be substituted for a particular style) but most of these macro-beers use large amounts of corn and corn sugar as primary ingredients. This is why I say that Bud is "beer for people who don't like the taste of beer" - besides, any beer company that tells you to drink their beer ice cold is probably aware that ice cold liquids dull the taste buds, so they're aware that their beer sucks. Bud literally tastes like corn flakes soaked in a glass of water overnight. Compared to the macrobeers made by those big three companies, Yuengling is far superior, but compared to many great micro/crafts, Yuengling sucks.

Of course, I've had my fill of mediocre craft beers too. A handful of them are faux-craft beers owned by A/B, and a lot of craft beers just use crappy ingredients. I've gotten to the point where I can taste when a brewer uses corn syrup in beer - it has a sickening sweet quality that is definetely NOT coming from maltose.

Sam Adams still makes good beer and is a far superior product to Yuengling. If you're not a fan of a Sam Adams, you probably don't like the taste of beer. Problem with Sam is that most craft beer fans recognize that Sam is a good beer, but there are so many other craft beers even better. Plus, Sam Adams is getting ridiculous with all the different styles it makes.

Of course, this list is ranked by sales volume, not quality of beer. For my money, my (very subjective) favorites are:
Dogfish Head
Victory
Bell's
Founders
New Holland
Sierra Nevada
Rogue
Stone
Ballast Point

If you're drinking Corona, you are the marketer's dream. They don't even drink that crap in Mexico.

Originally posted by jjsocrates:

FYI...there is a reason why Yuengling doesn't taste that good and its the same reason why people are scratching their heads about them being listed as a craft brewer: they use adjunct ingredients.

Same reason Bud, Miller, Coors all suck. Beer's primary ingredient should be malt barley (in some cases, oats or wheat can also be substituted for a particular style) but most of these macro-beers use large amounts of corn and corn sugar as primary ingredients. This is why I say that Bud is "beer for people who don't like the taste of beer" - besides, any beer company that tells you to drink their beer ice cold is probably aware that ice cold liquids dull the taste buds, so they're aware that their beer sucks. Bud literally tastes like corn flakes soaked in a glass of water overnight. Compared to the macrobeers made by those big three companies, Yuengling is far superior, but compared to many great micro/crafts, Yuengling sucks.

Of course, I've had my fill of mediocre craft beers too. A handful of them are faux-craft beers owned by A/B, and a lot of craft beers just use crappy ingredients. I've gotten to the point where I can taste when a brewer uses corn syrup in beer - it has a sickening sweet quality that is definetely NOT coming from maltose.

Sam Adams still makes good beer and is a far superior product to Yuengling. If you're not a fan of a Sam Adams, you probably don't like the taste of beer. Problem with Sam is that most craft beer fans recognize that Sam is a good beer, but there are so many other craft beers even better. Plus, Sam Adams is getting ridiculous with all the different styles it makes.

Of course, this list is ranked by sales volume, not quality of beer. For my money, my (very subjective) favorites are:
Dogfish Head
Victory
Bell's
Founders
New Holland
Sierra Nevada
Rogue
Stone
Ballast Point
Definitely agree about Sam Adams producing too many styles. Its one of the reasons I think their quality has suffered.

If you get a chance try a Heavy Sea's. Its brewed here in MD and some of the styles are very good.
My personal favorite is Riptide but I am a huge Wheat Beer fan.

Originally posted by wilbury:
If you're drinking Corona, you are the marketer's dream. They don't even drink that crap in Mexico.
They can't afford it.

Adjunct Ingredients? LOL TCF, Thanks for the support

TCF has a point.

The "in" thing today is to produce hoppy beers with clever names, or odd ingredient combinations that just don't make sense and taste like swill.

That way, when Johnny Cool shows up at a dinner party with Little Browneye Brewery's Triple-Taint IPA that no one has ever heard of....he looks even more cool.

This post was edited on 4/2 9:20 AM by psuguy04

Actually, you are the one....

Originally posted by PSU95alum:
listen to music on these new fangled CD's are "wanna-kinda-be" hipsters. If you indeed are living in "the heartland of craft beer" and drinking Yuengling on a regular basis, you are missing out. I tend to agree with many of your posts TCF, but this is a classic example of you believing "since TCF doesn't like it, it must not be good and everyone else who likes it is a poser/ pretender/ hipster doofus".

Actually, you are the one -- in your post above -- indicating that everyone who doesn't agree with you has the problem (hasn't grown up, or whatever). At least I included a "to each their own."

And my tastebuds are "open," that's why I don't need/like the beer with the hops overflowing the rim of the glass. It changes with the weather and activity, but generally, I prefer a nicely balanced beer.

So your "to each their own" trumps my

"that's OK to think that" and "whatever floats your boat" from aforementioned post? Got it.
laugh.r191677.gif

Re: Lost all credibility with one word: Corona

Lost all credibility with one word: Corona

Sorry better than most of the crap out there, including so called micro brews.

Try a Moosehead.[/URL]

nothing better than beer snobs educating everyone on the immaturity of their palates.

drink much like food and music is subjective. You like what you like. If you want to drink some 9% big ale fine but it doesn't make you more "mature" than someone that likes Coors Light.

I say live and let live.

Re: To each their own, but I say YOU are officially insane....

Originally posted by thecoolestfish:
I live in Boulder, CO -- In the heart of the land of "craft beer" -- And I would take a Yuengling Lager over any of the over-hoppified $hit these places are producing.

It's like they're just trying to see who can squeeze the most hops, along with seasonal "flavors," to see who can get the hipsters (and wanna-kinda-be hipsters) to pretend it's the new "best beer ever."

And if you think Yuengling Lager is anywhere remotely close to Bud, then I'm guessing you're one of these people.
The best way to know you are right on this board, is when TCF disagrees with you. You live in what you proclaim is the heart land of craft beer, and you would rather drink tasteless brown water. That is insanity. You simply don't like beer, but want to drink something that makes you feel superior to the common bud drinker... Yeungling! Only a portion of craft beers are hoppy beers, there are MANY different styles. Hoppy beers are amazing, and I am glad you don't like them, that leaves more delicious hops for me. The Alchemist, a PSU grad makes what many consider the best beer in the world, you might have read about it in the Penn Stater. But since you have the beer palate of a 17 year old NASCAR fan, you wouldn't appreciate it. I had a Heady Topper last night with dinner, you have no idea what you are missing.

Truth be told, no one thinks Colorado is anything special in the craft beer world anymore. Sure it has a lot of places, but time has passed it by. Most craft beer enthusiasts would say that many states are superior, specifically California, Oregon, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Vermont. I bet it sure makes you feel cool to think you live in the craft beer mecca, but are a non-conformist! What is more hipster-ish than that? I hate hipsters, they ruin everything, which is why craft beer isn't any fun anymore.

On the scale of beer, Yuengling Lager is right next to bud near the bottom of the scale. It's massed produce with low quality ingredients... but one is Brown! As you move up the scale, craft beer starts with Sam Adams and goes up exponentially from there. There are craft beers that are decades above Yuengling Lager on the scale.

Originally posted by BBrown:
Definitely agree about Sam Adams producing too many styles. Its one of the reasons I think their quality has suffered.

If you get a chance try a Heavy Sea's. Its brewed here in MD and some of the styles are very good.
My personal favorite is Riptide but I am a huge Wheat Beer fan.
Heavy Seas has a GREAT brewpub. None of their beers are great, but all are above average, which is really tough to do. Their food was fantastic too. One of the best I have been to, and I have been to hundreds.

Originally posted by Still in State College:

nothing better than beer snobs educating everyone on the immaturity of their palates.

drink much like food and music is subjective. You like what you like. If you want to drink some 9% big ale fine but it doesn't make you more "mature" than someone that likes Coors Light.
I disagree 100%.

Take whiskey for example. I have a very coarse palate. I can't tell the difference between a $70 bottle, and a $300 bottle. I just don't have the experience with it to have matured my palate. I can accept that. Doesn't mean I can't like the cheaper stuff I drink. But I also know I can't tell a whiskey enthusiast that his 35 YO single malt is crap compared to my Jack Daniels.

Re: Actually, you are the one....

Originally posted by thecoolestfish:
Originally posted by PSU95alum:

Actually, you are the one -- in your post above -- indicating that everyone who doesn't agree with you has the problem (hasn't grown up, or whatever). At least I included a "to each their own."

And my tastebuds are "open," that's why I don't need/like the beer with the hops overflowing the rim of the glass. It changes with the weather and activity, but generally, I prefer a nicely balanced beer.
Beer like Pizza (in the thread a few days ago) is very subjective. I never try to tell people what they should like or drink, they pretty much know already.
INMO Yuengling is a good beer just not better than Sam Adams.
I agree with the over hopping of beers but then I'm a Wheat Beer guy most of the time.
But I will enjoy a good "lawnmower" beer in the summer or watching a game.
Crazy as it sounds I sometimes like a Corona or a Michelob.
And back in the day I loved Rolling Rock, until they lost their minds and moved it to New Jersey.
And lets face it Fish drinking ANY beer in Boulder CO. is good.
laugh.r191677.gif

Everyone has their "thing"

You like hoppy beer. I don't. I think Sam Adams tastes like taint. You don't.

I'm not going to change your mind, and I don't need to be told I'm wrong or that my palate isn't what it should be. I hate Sam Adams--have tried many of their beers, and just don't like them.

Re: What kind of coffee/tea do you drink, pandaczar?

I don't drink much coffee anymore. I can enjoy the brown dirt water in the cafeteria as much as a starbucks. I am not an enthusiast. I drink it more for the shot of caffeine than because I enjoy the taste. Which might explain why people drink cheap mass produced beer... for the alcohol. I drink high end craft beer because I like the taste, and almost always stop at one, I'm not interested in getting drunk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT