ADVERTISEMENT

Starting QB

ryoder1

Feb 17, 2007
Why would Allar not be named the starter by now? 9 days until WVU. He was named one of the "Camp Kings" on offense. I cannot imagine any scenario where he does not start.

Is Franklin trying to keep it from WVU to keep them guessing a little? They are not that dumb. I am sure they will be prepared for both of our guys with an emphasis on Allar.

Just seems to be late in the game with no formal announcement. I would expect/hope by Saturday or Sunday the announcement comes to provide clarity for the team. I get it if he is debating other positions but for QB just make the call.

Not sure why this bothers anyone.
Maybe the team already knows then who cares but my point is if they don't then it is unnecessary drama. Give Allar the keys, show him the confidence you have in him and let him do his job.

How would the team possibly know? There is so much drama. I am hearing Smojik is likely the guy.

What do we have to gain by announcing anything? We all know it will be Allar. If WVU is dumb enough to not know that until Franklin announces it publicly that's on them.

Maybe the team already knows then who cares but my point is if they don't then it is unnecessary drama. Give Allar the keys, show him the confidence you have in him and let him do his job.
The players aren't that stupid.

Last edited:
Unless Allar has some sort of undisclosed injury, I can't imagine he wouldn't be starting. Much like the goofy OSU straw poll tweet, Allar not being named starter is nothing. Just something to get fans riled up.

Reactions: PSUSignore
Unless Allar has some sort of undisclosed injury, I can't imagine he wouldn't be starting. Much like the goofy OSU straw poll tweet, Allar not being named starter is nothing. Just something to get fans riled up.
is anyone getting the impression that allar might not living up to his billing?

is anyone getting the impression that allar might not living up to his billing?
I'm not in the slightest. He looked fairly good in the times he played last year. Albeit in garbage time mostly. He has now had a full off-season as the number 1 man for the job.

The offense has 2 excellent and proven backs and good tight ends. Hopefully the OL plays well. The D should be really good. It's a perfect scenario to bring in a new QB and not put everything on his shoulders right away.

Reactions: Online Persona
I'm not in the slightest. He looked fairly good in the times he played last year. Albeit in garbage time mostly. He has now had a full off-season as the number 1 man for the job.

The offense has 2 excellent and proven backs and good tight ends. Hopefully the OL plays well. The D should be really good. It's a perfect scenario to bring in a new QB and not put everything on his shoulders right away.
Tragically, this is not the forum for rational posts like yours. However, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Thanks for the momentary break.

Why would Allar not be named the starter by now? 9 days until WVU. He was named one of the "Camp Kings" on offense. I cannot imagine any scenario where he does not start.

Is Franklin trying to keep it from WVU to keep them guessing a little? They are not that dumb. I am sure they will be prepared for both of our guys with an emphasis on Allar.

Just seems to be late in the game with no formal announcement. I would expect/hope by Saturday or Sunday the announcement comes to provide clarity for the team. I get it if he is debating other positions but for QB just make the call.

I guess I missed it, did Franklin hold a ceremony where he formally announced the starters for every other position? Did he give them medals or something?

Or maybe there is no formal announcement. Maybe QB is just like every other position and who plays is decided at game time.

I don't know why people worry about it. It's going to be Allar but they need Pribula and Smolik to be able to run the offense. This is James Franklin and he's a 1 QB guy so we probably won't see Pribula unless PSU is ahead 3-4 TDs with 30 seconds left in the 4th quarter. I doubt that pattern will change.

I guess I missed it, did Franklin hold a ceremony where he formally announced the starters for every other position? Did he give them medals or something?

Or maybe there is no formal announcement. Maybe QB is just like every other position and who plays is decided at game time.

I don't know why people worry about it. It's going to be Allar but they need Pribula and Smolik to be able to run the offense. This is James Franklin and he's a 1 QB guy so we probably won't see Pribula unless PSU is ahead 3-4 TDs with 30 seconds left in the 4th quarter. I doubt that pattern will change.
Franklin got Allar some reps last season, and the need for Pribula to get game experience is similar in priority, so I look for Pribula to get at least a series in each of the easier non-conference games. Hopefully the WVU game is wrapped up early in the 2nd half and Pribula gets the 4th quarter.

But the other side of that decision is that Allar needs lots of game reps to play at a high level in the tough games and with Illinois early in the season Yurcich and Franklin will want a more experienced Allar ready. We all seem to second guess at times but in this case it seems that there is strong reasoning either way and that the team could suffer either way depending on how potential injuries play out.

Reactions: RickinDayton

Other coaches announce the starter when there is a QB competition. I guess James does not feel the need, okay. If asked which he should be asked but probably no one will for fear of irritating him and he wouldn't answer anyway. So whatever, looking forward to Smolik trotting out there for the first series.

• Haha
Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA
I agree with everyone saying it's not a big deal but let's not pretend QB is like every other position or that an announcement isn't pretty standard when a winner is determined.

Other coaches announce the starter when there is a QB competition. I guess James does not feel the need, okay. If asked which he should be asked but probably no one will for fear of irritating him and he wouldn't answer anyway. So whatever, looking forward to Smolik trotting out there for the first series.
I ,for one, would love it. Just imagine the fun one could have reading the indignant posts from all the coaches in waiting.

Is there a prize for the coach that names his starting QB first?

Is there a prize for the coach that names his starting QB first?

These days, you usually get a kid in the portal for doing it. And in the rare instances one doesn't, you got fluff like this.

I appreciate Veilleiux staying last year, even though he basically knew from week 1 he was 2 injuries away from playing.

These days, you usually get a kid in the portal for doing it. And in the rare instances one doesn't, you got fluff like this.

I appreciate Veilleiux staying last year, even though he basically knew from week 1 he was 2 injuries away from playing.
So do we think he starts Allar and then tells Pribula. "Keep on working hard and you may be the starter". Yeah Drew has thrown 10 TDs and no picks through 5 games but Beau you've got a shot!" That way he doesn't portal.

So do we think he starts Allar and then tells Pribula. "Keep on working hard and you may be the starter". Yeah Drew has thrown 10 TDs and no picks through 5 games but Beau you've got a shot!" That way he doesn't portal.
He should

Only speculation on my part, but I don't think Pribula is expecting to start yet and he might be willing to ride things out longer. Think along the lines of Levis. If things don't look promising in '25, he would likely leave then as a grad transfer.

He also has a NIL car, so that helps too.

Only speculation on my part, but I don't think Pribula is expecting to start yet and he might be willing to ride things out longer. Think along the lines of Levis. If things don't look promising in '25, he would likely leave then as a grad transfer.

He also has a NIL car, so that helps too.
The guy that is leaving is Kyle McCord. Day is trying to hang on to him for backup by slow playing him, but he is gone at season end.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT