ADVERTISEMENT

Oklahoma, Nebraska, Texas A&M, Kansas and Iowa State Sought To Join Big Ten in 2010

The Big Ten should have gone after Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M and ND. Unbelievable that they had the chance to have 3 of those teams. And with Texas A&M and Oklahoma in the Big Ten, that's a big incentive for Texas to join.

That's 4 national brands, access to NYC and access to Texas. Nice one Delaney.

The BIG never had a chance at Texas. Texas was flirting with the Pac, not the BIG. But ultimately, Texas opted not to go anywhere, because the Big 12 was willing to let Texas have its own network (The Longhorn Network), and keep the money from that Network. The Pac was a more attractive option to Texas than the BIG, because the Pac owns 100% of its own network, whereas the BIG has negotiated a good sized chunk of its Network over to its broadcast partner. (ESPN, I believe.) But neither the BIG nor the Pac was willing to let Texas have its own network and keep all of the money from that network. The Pac was insisting that Texas come in and share and share alike with all conference members. Texas was not about to share and share alike with Wazzu and OSU. Totally get that. Not sure whether the BIG would have insisted on full parity with respect to distribution of TV dollars, but the Longhorns were not interested in anything close to parity..

I heard the same about TAMU and OU too. Texas was rumored to go to the B1G more than TAMU.

Perhaps Art can chime in, but adding ND "and" Texas to the B1G would generate HUGE money for the BTN. And, I would imagine, other networks would have to pay handsomely to broadcast games, etc. Not sure if the BTN is National today. But, with Texas and Notre Dame, the BTN is on everyones TV channel listing.

If we add two more teams, I'd like to see Penn State get even MORE money from adding two teams. And, if adding Notre Dame would do that, then I am in favor of it BECAUSE it BENEFITS Penn State in the long run. That's WHY I support adding Notre Dame.

And you complain football has too much power?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT