ADVERTISEMENT

Oklahoma, Nebraska, Texas A&M, Kansas and Iowa State Sought To Join Big Ten in 2010

ChiTownLion

May 29, 2001
Report ends with suggestion that Oklahoma and Kansas may be in line to become the Big Ten's 15th and 16th members:

Barfknecht: During realignment, four others from Big 12 took a look at Big Ten switch
SUNDAY, JULY 26, 2015 1:00 AM
Column by Lee Barfknecht / World-Herald staff writer

Big Ten football fans, see if the following slate of conference games would interest you:

Oklahoma vs. Wisconsin; Nebraska vs. Texas A&M; Iowa vs. Iowa State; Minnesota vs. Kansas.

Unfortunately, it’s not happening. But there was a time when grouping those eight schools into one division of a 16-team Big Ten was discussed at high administrative levels by members of both leagues.

Five summers ago, Texas rattled the Big 12 to its core by threatening to bolt to what then was the Pac-10, with five other league members trailing along.

Some Big 12 schools involved wanted no part of such a move or the travel associated with it and began exploring other options. I first heard of this at the time and again two years ago, but it wasn’t until last week’s Big 12 media days that I found a second source with direct knowledge to confirm it.

Was this a concrete proposal for realignment? No.

But it was much, much more than cocktail-napkin speculation.

A Big 12 athletic director, who spoke to The World-Herald on condition of anonymity, said he contacted Big Ten athletic directors and presidents with whom he was familiar in June 2010.

The topic: Was the Big Ten, which had 11 members at the time, interested in adding five Big 12 schools?

The feedback from Big Ten school officials was positive, both sources said. The sticking point was devising a revenue-sharing plan to satisfy all. It would have taken at least...

Full story: http://www.omaha.com/huskers/barfkn...0-3337-11e5-8cc1-4373847a1bfe.html?TNNoMobile

Last edited:
Reactions: fairgambit
Report ends with suggestion that Oklahoma and Kansas may be in line to become the Big Ten's 15th and 16th members: http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...a-state-sought-to-join-big-ten-in-2010-072615

I can do without Kansas. I know they have good bball but from a football standpoint that's a bad addition IMO.

I thought the big ten Midwest snobs ruled out Oklahoma as being too far below them on the academic food chain? Plus I can't see Oklahoma ditching Texas.

If this report gets much traction, I'd think Texas has some big decisions to make so they aren't standing alone when the music stops. That said, didn't the big 12 lock down its teams to avoid any raiding?

I personally favor adding all the remaining 116 FBS schools to the BigTen. It would finally bring this conference all the money and power it desires.
Smiley-Coins.jpeg

Well, we know The B1G took Nebraksa, Rutgers and Maryland. And, IIRC , Nebraska is the weakest academically of the three, right?

Nebraska became proactive once they found out Missouri was making serious overtures to The B1G.

IIRC, Maryland was a founding member of the ACC, right?

Nebraksa cut ties to Texas AND Oklahoma by joining The B1G.

So, in the 21st Century, 20th Century "traditions" mean very little.

One thing is becoming more clear, 16 member MEGA CONFERENCES seem to be coming into fruition. Notre Dame and Texas won't be without a chair once the music stops. Where they end up is still a tough call.

I can't imagine B1G Presidents wanting to add Kansas and Oklahoma over Texas and Notre Dame. That makes no sense.

Only if those schools don't want B1G membership will The B1G take Oklahoma and Kansas. So, where do Texas and ND go? ND as an ACC and Texas as SEC or PAC 12. How does that favor those two than joining together to The B1G?

I still am laying my money on Texas and ND to The B1G and Oklahoma and Oklahoma State to the SEC. Kansas to The PAC 12 with possibly Iowa State.

Oh, let's not forget the money the BTN would generate by adding BOTH Notre Dame and Texas.

Money seems too great for Texas and ND to ignore, IMO. And the way Universities are conducting business in the 21St Century, they will NEED that revenue.

Not to mention, Texas and ND fit the B1G time zones.

I can do without Kansas. I know they have good bball but from a football standpoint that's a bad addition IMO.

I thought the big ten Midwest snobs ruled out Oklahoma as being too far below them on the academic food chain? Plus I can't see Oklahoma ditching Texas.

If this report gets much traction, I'd think Texas has some big decisions to make so they aren't standing alone when the music stops. That said, didn't the big 12 lock down its teams to avoid any raiding?

Well, you are likely to be disappointed....because, if it happens, Kansas will be one of the first. LOL.

Me, on the other hand? I won't be disappointed at all. You see, Kansas vs PSU has some tradition to fall back on. Study up on it if you get a chance. They were on the schedule when I first started attending PSU games.

Well, you are likely to be disappointed....because, if it happens, Kansas will be one of the first. LOL.

Me, on the other hand? I won't be disappointed at all. You see, Kansas vs PSU has some tradition to fall back on. Study up on it if you get a chance. They were on the schedule when I first started attending PSU games.

We played Kansas once in the 69 Rose Bowl. Although we did get screwed out on the MNC that year, I don't see how Kansas rates at "tradition".

Reactions: psu00

I don't think Oklahoma is too far behind Nebraska academically.

Kansas has never been on our football schedule.

Had this come up in 2012, I wonder if delany would have booted PSU while adding the other four schools (Nebraska was already a member).* Dumping PSU could have been done somewhat under the radar because delany would have focused on the schools that had been added. True, the B1G would have had an odd number of schools, but they could have added another one later on to get to 16.

* The alternative is to consider if sandusky had happened in 2010, and the B1G could have considered adding all five schools (including Nebraska).

Maybe any perceived Big 12 instability would help to push Ferns towards PSU.

Well, we know The B1G took Nebraksa, Rutgers

I can't imagine B1G Presidents wanting to add Kansas and Oklahoma over Texas and Notre Dame. That makes no sense.

Only if those schools don't want B1G membership will The B1G take Oklahoma and Kansas. So, where do Texas and ND go? ND as an ACC and Texas as SEC or PAC 12. How does that favor those two than joining together to The B1G?

I still am laying my money on Texas and ND to The B1G and Oklahoma and Oklahoma State to the SEC. Kansas to The PAC 12 with possibly Iowa State.

Michael --
Please study your history of the Big Ten -- Notre Dame has been invited to join on two occasions and both times has turned down the effort to join the Big Ten without any explanation other than 'they' are special and play to a national audience. ND will never be invited again !!

Report ends with suggestion that Oklahoma and Kansas may be in line to become the Big Ten's 15th and 16th members:

Barfknecht: During realignment, four others from Big 12 took a look at Big Ten switch
SUNDAY, JULY 26, 2015 1:00 AM
Column by Lee Barfknecht / World-Herald staff writer

Big Ten football fans, see if the following slate of conference games would interest you:

Oklahoma vs. Wisconsin; Nebraska vs. Texas A&M; Iowa vs. Iowa State; Minnesota vs. Kansas.

Unfortunately, it’s not happening. But there was a time when grouping those eight schools into one division of a 16-team Big Ten was discussed at high administrative levels by members of both leagues.

Five summers ago, Texas rattled the Big 12 to its core by threatening to bolt to what then was the Pac-10, with five other league members trailing along.

Some Big 12 schools involved wanted no part of such a move or the travel associated with it and began exploring other options. I first heard of this at the time and again two years ago, but it wasn’t until last week’s Big 12 media days that I found a second source with direct knowledge to confirm it.

Was this a concrete proposal for realignment? No.

But it was much, much more than cocktail-napkin speculation.

A Big 12 athletic director, who spoke to The World-Herald on condition of anonymity, said he contacted Big Ten athletic directors and presidents with whom he was familiar in June 2010.

The topic: Was the Big Ten, which had 11 members at the time, interested in adding five Big 12 schools?

The feedback from Big Ten school officials was positive, both sources said. The sticking point was devising a revenue-sharing plan to satisfy all. It would have taken at least...

Full story: http://www.omaha.com/huskers/barfkn...0-3337-11e5-8cc1-4373847a1bfe.html?TNNoMobile

I can see that the NCAA, for football, is in big trouble. If we get to "the big five" or four conferences, we really won't need the NCAA for football. I can see four conferences, like for divisions, playing for a 4 way MNC series. That would leave a situation with 60~80 big time schools that make great money and a lot of other teams on the outside trying to get in (to one of the big conferences).

People are wondering where ND and Texas will end up. I think people should consider the possibility that ND will simply stay independent and Texas may go there too and maybe eventually others as well. As football gets bigger the big football programs get more power and independence. Having all the non-rev sports go along with wherever football goes conference-wise seems to make less sense.

Schools a couple hundred miles apart not playing each other in a dozen non-rev sports and instead each flying halfway across the country to play other schools in non-rev? It doesn't make sense to me. The only reason it's done is because of football.

Michael --
Please study your history of the Big Ten -- Notre Dame has been invited to join on two occasions and both times has turned down the effort to join the Big Ten without any explanation other than 'they' are special and play to a national audience. ND will never be invited again !!

If there were only 60-80 schools to begin with then I think that would have happened by now but the problem is that the number of 1A football schools keeps growing and anyone left on the outside looking in howls like crazy, understandably so. Also, politics could enter into it. I don't know exactly what Congress can do but the politicians in the states of the schools left out may try to play the "if we don't get in the game then we're going to use our power to stop the whole thing" card.

Oh, let's not forget the money the BTN would generate by adding BOTH Notre Dame and Texas.

Money seems too great for Texas and ND to ignore, IMO. And the way Universities are conducting business in the 21St Century, they will NEED that revenue.

Not to mention, Texas and ND fit the B1G time zones.

Texas and ND were the top targets when Nebraska, which was way down the list, was added. Delany had a lot to work to do and the addition of either/both was not close to being a foregone conclusion. Problem was that Delany was lazy, then stupid, and wound up with the booby prize. If he worked for anyone other than a group of feckless college presidents, he would have been fired, though, in fairness, one wanted his scalp.

Texas and ND were the top targets when Nebraska, which was way down the list, was added. Delany had a lot to work to do and the addition of either/both was not close to being a foregone conclusion. Problem was that Delany was lazy, then stupid, and wound up with the booby prize. If he worked for anyone other than a group of feckless college presidents, he would have been fired, though, in fairness, one wanted his scalp.

Well, at least he saved Penn State Football!

Yuck. I'd much rather expand down the eastern seaboard -- UVA and UNC.

Why are people even talking about Notre Dame? They got an incredible sweet deal from a desperate ACC -- remain football independent, be in a great athletic conference for the other sports, even get some guaranteed "conference" football games later in the season when it is tough to schedule as an independent. The Big Ten was never going to offer them such a deal (I'm still surprised the ACC did).

QUESTION.....How does one setup a 16-team MEGA conference? Some posters here ahile back had suggested four 4-team PODS. If that is the case, how does that work? Regardless of who the two additional teams are, setting them up EAST and WEST is kinda bizarre. It would be possible, for example, that we would NEVER play Michigan (given a 9-game Conference play). For example...

EAST
ND
Penn State
tOSU
Mich St
Indiana
Purdue
Rutgers
Maryland

WEST
Meeechigan
Nebraska
Texas
Wisconsin
Illinois
Northwestern
Minnesota
Iowa

All teams would play their 7 teams in their Division and two cross-over games. That means, Meeechigan would most assuredly play Ohio State and Mich St. They would NEVER play any other teams in the EAST unless its in the B1G Championship game. That makes zero sense.

So, how would a four 4-team POD/DIVISION work?

Why are people even talking about Notre Dame? They got an incredible sweet deal from a desperate ACC -- remain football independent, be in a great athletic conference for the other sports, even get some guaranteed "conference" football games later in the season when it is tough to schedule as an independent. The Big Ten was never going to offer them such a deal (I'm still surprised the ACC did).

Perhaps Art can chime in, but adding ND "and" Texas to the B1G would generate HUGE money for the BTN. And, I would imagine, other networks would have to pay handsomely to broadcast games, etc. Not sure if the BTN is National today. But, with Texas and Notre Dame, the BTN is on everyones TV channel listing.

If we add two more teams, I'd like to see Penn State get even MORE money from adding two teams. And, if adding Notre Dame would do that, then I am in favor of it BECAUSE it BENEFITS Penn State in the long run. That's WHY I support adding Notre Dame.

Reactions: BlueBand

I hate to say it because I don't like ND, but I think ND is in a stronger position than that. The ACC isn't doing ND a favor by scheduling games with ND late in the season, rather ND is playing the ACC more as compensation for the ACC letting ND in for other sports. If the ACC didn't require ND to play five ACC schools a year I think ND would be fine with it and would have no problem finding opponents late in the season.

I think the ACC offered them the deal for the same reason the Big East did years before, namely it helped their football to have a lot of games against a high profile ND team. It does make the ACC look weak by bowing down like that but OTOH they do get those coveted ND games in return.

Perhaps Art can chime in, but adding ND "and" Texas to the B1G would generate HUGE money for the BTN. And, I would imagine, other networks would have to pay handsomely to broadcast games, etc. Not sure if the BTN is National today. But, with Texas and Notre Dame, the BTN is on everyones TV channel listing.

If we add two more teams, I'd like to see Penn State get even MORE money from adding two teams. And, if adding Notre Dame would do that, then I am in favor of it BECAUSE it BENEFITS Penn State in the long run. That's WHY I support adding Notre Dame.

Texas already has its own TV network that it's trying to develop. Dunno if they'll succeed but if they do they'll make a lot. I think one reason Texas sticks around in the Big 12 is that they can have their own TV network. If they went to the Big Ten, for instance, the Big Ten would want them to drop their own network (Longhorn Network) and join the Big Ten network.

As far as networks being on everyones channel listings, I think that model is slowly going away. A la carte is coming more into being and that means people paying for what they want rather than having to pay for a bunch of channels just because of where they live whether they want to or not.

I can see that the NCAA, for football, is in big trouble. If we get to "the big five" or four conferences, we really won't need the NCAA for football. I can see four conferences, like for divisions, playing for a 4 way MNC series. That would leave a situation with 60~80 big time schools that make great money and a lot of other teams on the outside trying to get in (to one of the big conferences).

IMHO, that is exactly what the NCAA is afraid of and why they didn't want to mess with the BS BcS and setup a D1 playoff. They were afraid the top 60-70 D1 football schools would bolt and form their own organization which would also blow March Madness (from the NCAAs viewpoint) all to hell.

What about forming a semi-pro league that has team names the match University names ?? Maybe we could sell tickets and use the "profits" to fund more "sports"? Since clearly this is ALL about money. Isn't it?

I hate to say it because I don't like ND, but I think ND is in a stronger position than that. The ACC isn't doing ND a favor by scheduling games with ND late in the season, rather ND is playing the ACC more as compensation for the ACC letting ND in for other sports. If the ACC didn't require ND to play five ACC schools a year I think ND would be fine with it and would have no problem finding opponents late in the season.

I think it's a mutually beneficial arrangement. It's absolutely true that the ACC wanted guaranteed football games with ND in return for membership and, unlike the "promise" to the Big East that was never kept by ND, the ACC made it a contractual obligation. But it's also true that Notre Dame was having trouble scheduling decent games late in the season because most "BCS conference" teams were reluctant to schedule a big OOC game in the middle of conference season. The arrangement works well for both the ACC and Notre Dame.

Regardless, my point is the same: why would anyone bring up Notre Dame in a conversation about Big Ten expansion? With the deal they now have with the ACC, the Big Ten has little to offer that would entice Notre Dame. At best, the Big Ten could offer a similar deal that the ACC did, but with more shared money but I don't see the Big Ten willing to offer a non-football membership to Notre Dame. so, it's pointless to bring them up.

There's at least reasonable scenarios where schools like Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, etc. might join the conference.

Michael: I got a kick out of your projection. Perhaps you have a MAC team or two you want to send in the Pac 12's direction?

I think it's a mutually beneficial arrangement. It's absolutely true that the ACC wanted guaranteed football games with ND in return for membership and, unlike the "promise" to the Big East that was never kept by ND, the ACC made it a contractual obligation. But it's also true that Notre Dame was having trouble scheduling decent games late in the season because most "BCS conference" teams were reluctant to schedule a big OOC game in the middle of conference season. The arrangement works well for both the ACC and Notre Dame.

Regardless, my point is the same: why would anyone bring up Notre Dame in a conversation about Big Ten expansion? With the deal they now have with the ACC, the Big Ten has little to offer that would entice Notre Dame. At best, the Big Ten could offer a similar deal that the ACC did, but with more shared money but I don't see the Big Ten willing to offer a non-football membership to Notre Dame. so, it's pointless to bring them up.

There's at least reasonable scenarios where schools like Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, etc. might join the conference.
It's very possible that the Power Conferences, either through increased autonomy, or breaking away from the NCAA, could make conference membership a requirement for the playoffs. Notre Dame will be forced to shit or get off the pot. The question is, do they want to really be in the ACC and play those schools, or do they want to collect a bigger paycheck in the B1G? I'd bet the paycheck wins out.

The Big Ten should have gone after Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M and ND. Unbelievable that they had the chance to have 3 of those teams. And with Texas A&M and Oklahoma in the Big Ten, that's a big incentive for Texas to join.

That's 4 national brands, access to NYC and access to Texas. Nice one Delaney.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT