ADVERTISEMENT

Number of posters on other sites claiming that the defense is light years ahead of offense

5-7 Michigan State
4-8 Rutgers
8-5 Maryland
4-8 Indiana
9-4 Minnesota
4-8 Central Michigan
5-7 Auburn
10-4 Ohio

I might have been able to coach against teams with a combined record of 49-51. Try harder to deflect from the issue next time.
That is football. All teams combined have a composite record of .500.

Did you count joes wins vs sub .500 teams?

Ps. Why did Joe have a losing record vs osu and um?

That is football. All teams combined have a composite record of .500.

Did you count joes wins vs sub .500 teams?

Ps. Why did Joe have a losing record vs osu and um?
What does Joe have to do with the number of snaps Allar didn't receive last year while burning his redshirt? If he struggles then that will speak volumes about the quality of the coaching.

What does Joe have to do with the number of snaps Allar didn't receive last year while burning his redshirt? If he struggles then that will speak volumes about the quality of the coaching.
Allar burned his redshitlrt? Do you mean he played in more than 4 games ? Ironic for a guy who did not play. Allar got more snaps than most backups.

Allar had more attempts last year than obriens backups had in two years combined. Allar had more attempts than most of joes backups too.

Reactions: marshall23
Allar burned his redshitlrt? Do you mean he played in more than 4 games ? Ironic for a guy who did not play. Allar got more snaps than most backups.

Allar had more attempts last year than obriens backups had in two years combined. Allar had more attempts than most of joes backups too.
6 or fewer attempts in 6 of 10 games. And of those 6 games, he had 2 games with 2 attempts and 1 game with 1.

But as long as "Special Sean" got the record after Franklin ran multiple quality QBs out of town, all is well in your eyes.

P.S. Your hard on for Coach Paterno is showing.

6 or fewer attempts in 6 of 10 games. And of those 6 games, he had 2 games with 2 attempts and 1 game with 1.

But as long as "Special Sean" got the record after Franklin ran multiple quality QBs out of town, all is well in your eyes.

How many attempts should a backup get a game? Pick a number and tell us which teams met your standard.

Can you name a backup who had more attempts than allar last year? None at georgia, Bama or osu.

Now get your shine box.

How many attempts should a backup get a game? Pick a number and tell us which teams met your standard.

Can you name a backup who had more attempts than allar last year? None at georgia, Bama or osu.

Now get your shine box.
So then your argument is that the team, and specifically the QB, was on the same level as Georgia/Bama/OSU? Clifford was right up there with Bennett/Young/Stroud? Now I know you are a complete and utter Franklin bootlicker.

Clifford shouldn't even have been allowed back last season, and as soon as he lost the second game he should have picked up a clipboard. In retrospect it might have been better for Allar to have redshirted after 3 games, because some of his appearances accomplished nothing. You can pretend that Franklin managed the situation optimally, and that his playing time decisions weren't based on an ulterior motive, but Allar, and thus the entire offense, could be MUCH further ahead at this stage of his career.

Young players at multiple positions on both sides of the ball got lots of very meaningful snaps, except for the most critical. Allar should have been learning by throwing to Tinsley/Washington/Strange, but instead he gets to learn along with a completely unknown group with a COMBINED 97 catches.

You're totally right- that is definitely the best possible scenario.

Burning his redshirt year is irrelevant. Hopefully he's only here for 2 more.
I agree, I think burning redshirts is nearly irrelevant these days. If you have a player talented enough to be on the field when he's a true freshman it's a safe assumption he won't be in college for four years anyways.

You can pretend that Franklin managed the situation optimally, and that his playing time decisions weren't based on an ulterior motive, but Allar, and thus the entire offense, could be MUCH further ahead at this stage of his career.

I think Franklin's primary motivation was to win as many games as possible after 4-5 and 7-6 seasons.

What do you think the motivation was?

What backup QB got as many snaps as Allar did last year with a healthy starter?

So then your argument is that the team, and specifically the QB, was on the same level as Georgia/Bama/OSU? Clifford was right up there with Bennett/Young/Stroud? Now I know you are a complete and utter Franklin bootlicker.

Clifford shouldn't even have been allowed back last season, and as soon as he lost the second game he should have picked up a clipboard. In retrospect it might have been better for Allar to have redshirted after 3 games, because some of his appearances accomplished nothing. You can pretend that Franklin managed the situation optimally, and that his playing time decisions weren't based on an ulterior motive, but Allar, and thus the entire offense, could be MUCH further ahead at this stage of his career.

Young players at multiple positions on both sides of the ball got lots of very meaningful snaps, except for the most critical. Allar should have been learning by throwing to Tinsley/Washington/Strange, but instead he gets to learn along with a completely unknown group with a COMBINED 97 catches.

You're totally right- that is definitely the best possible scenario you ducked the questions.

How many attempts should a backup qb make and who met your criteria?

There were 8 games won by 19+ points, so if you think that Allar got enough snaps, then you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but you are wrong.

More like "Ignore preparing the backup and let your precious QB get a meaningless record".
19 points is nothing in today's college football. This isn't like the old days when a 3 score lead was sufficient to empty the benches.

19 points is nothing in today's college football. This isn't like the old days when a 3 score lead was sufficient to empty the benches.
Only if you're worried about margin if victory...many of our games weren't competitive which is a huge compliment to Franklin

Boy, many of you guys are in mid season form already. In this thread we have lunacy, unfounded expectations and or speculations, anger, bias, hopelessness and unbelievable euphoria. September can’t get here fast enough. I’m betting the over on five combined heart attacks and nervous breakdowns by halftime of the WVU opener.

Reactions: Little J
Boy, many of you guys are in mid season form already. In this thread we have lunacy, unfounded expectations and or speculations, anger, bias, hopelessness and unbelievable euphoria. September can’t get here fast enough. I’m betting the over on five combined heart attacks and nervous breakdowns by halftime of the WVU opener.
The in game thread during the 1st quarter is always good theater

I think Franklin's primary motivation was to win as many games as possible after 4-5 and 7-6 seasons.

What do you think the motivation was?

What backup QB got as many snaps as Allar did last year with a healthy starter?
You are probably correct about the wins part, but honestly how many of the games I cited would Allar have definitely lost?

I firmly believe that the motivation was partially to see Clifford set some passing records, including to justify the Stevens and Levis situations. He didn't want people to see enough of Allar to start squawking.

I think that the best situation would have been for Allar to have around 150 attempts, which is not quite a two-QB system. I don't ever want to hear Franklin say "Drew is new" or "Drew is still learning" because Drew is where he is because of Franklin's decisions. He doesn't get to have it both ways.

Watched a video of practice breakdown. Offensive was working on short field and short yardage situations. Defense had the advantage from situational football. Don’t forget it was pouring rain too. Not saying the offense looked good, it didn’t. But some of this was due to nature of practice, bad weather, and missing 2 starts on Oline.

Last edited:
You are probably correct about the wins part, but honestly how many of the games I cited would Allar have definitely lost?

I firmly believe that the motivation was partially to see Clifford set some passing records, including to justify the Stevens and Levis situations. He didn't want people to see enough of Allar to start squawking.

I think that the best situation would have been for Allar to have around 150 attempts, which is not quite a two-QB system. I don't ever want to hear Franklin say "Drew is new" or "Drew is still learning" because Drew is where he is because of Franklin's decisions. He doesn't get to have it both ways.

No idea how many they would have lost. Probably none. However, imagine if they did. "I can't believe that we benched Clifford and lost to Michigan State! Probably stunted Allar's growth playing him behind the 2nd string OL too!"

Clifford has 4 years of starting to his credit. Something no QB has before him and none very likely will after him. Stevens? That's laughable. He did nothing of note anywhere after leaving and the guy Franklin chose is an NFL backup. James got friends perpetuating that idea for his sake too?

Fans sqwaking is what they do. Backup QBs are perpetual favorites. Some were asking for Allar after that touch throw to Warren vs Purdue (wasn't caught though but it was a pretty pass).

150 attempts? JJ McCarthy only had 59 his freshman year and Harbaugh was pushing him into games pretty hard. This also bit Harbaugh slightly as they lost to Sparty after a JJ fumble.

To me, it sounds like your mind is made up. Playoff or Franklin messed up.

0 top 10 teams got the backup 150 attempts. That includes the team that benched their starter. Must be a lot of bad coaches out there.

Only if you're worried about margin if victory...many of our games weren't competitive which is a huge compliment to Franklin
The schedule was the easiest we have played during the Big Ten era by a country mile. Nothing more, nothing less.

No crying this year when Allar makes mistakes in big games it is what it is thanks James

I can see it now, Allar in the first two drives, no completions, one pick. Everyone on this board promptly has a nervous breakdown mumbling something about how they knew all along Allar was never that good and how could the coaches be so dumb in recruiting him.

Watched a video of practice breakdown. Offensive was working on short field and short yardage situations. Defense had the advantage from situational football. Don’t forget it was pouring rain too. Not saying the offense looked good, it didn’t. But some of this was due to nature of practice, bad weather, and missing 2 starts on Oline.
Does anyone know the status of Tengwall? It seems he has been injured for a stretch of time now. I assume Fashanu will be fine for WV.

Does anyone know the status of Tengwall? It seems he has been injured for a stretch of time now. I assume Fashanu will be fine for WV.

Rumor is concussion issues.

Fashanu is being limited intentionally and has no injury issue to my knowledge.

I trust Franklin. The program was on a very good trajectory between 2016 and 2019 and covid disrupted everything. He needed to put covid behind us with a respectable season and he did so using a super senior qb and an amazing freshman class. The team has a lot of confidence coming off a 11-2 season. I have not had this much hope for the program since the ‘90s.

I can see it now, Allar in the first two drives, no completions, one pick. Everyone on this board promptly has a nervous breakdown mumbling something about how they knew all along Allar was never that good and how could the coaches be so dumb in recruiting him.
Na, we are all, all-in on Allar.

Reactions: PSU Soupy

Your post as it relates to Franklin’s motivations is pathetic. Franklin should try to win the most games he can every year. He owes it his team. Any coach who tanks a season in the hope that his team will be better the next year will not last very long.

Clifford had a nice season and he will be in the NFL this year. IMO, he was clearly better than Allar last year. We won the Rose Bowl. I do. Not think we would have done as well with Allar at the helm as he is still learning the system. Further, if Allar didn’t do well, it may have damaged his confidence. Hopefully Allar surpasses Sean Clifford’s as a QB and I expect that he will. It would be a disappointment to everyone if he doesn’t but, IMO it is not a given that he does.

thanks...seems to conflict with the OP that Allar struggled while Beau played better.

there are some comments about WRs getting open and getting hit over the top. Of course, if the D was playing it really tight a counter is to go deep and make the Safeties back off and loosen up the linebackers. But in a scrimmage, the O would want to go through a scripted list of plays so they can study them on video.

I am unconcerned at this point in time.
I would probably be concerned if the offense dominated the defense.

Reactions: Obliviax

He certainly got more time and attempts than most backups under Franklin. Was it enough to make a difference this year? We will see. A hopefully strong returning OLine, above average tight end room and two way above average running backs will allow him to ease into the season without having to carry the team. We should know quite a bit after the Illinois and Iowa games.

Reactions: MWes11
Your post as it relates to Franklin’s motivations is pathetic. Franklin should try to win the most games he can every year. He owes it his team. Any coach who tanks a season in the hope that his team will be better the next year will not last very long.
Franklin's job depends on winning. Could you imagine telling your boss that you are intentionally underperforming now because you think that will lead to better performance for the next 2 years? Good luck keeping your job with that mindset.

Clifford had a nice season and he will be in the NFL this year. IMO, he was clearly better than Allar last year. We won the Rose Bowl. I do. Not think we would have done as well with Allar at the helm as he is still learning the system. Further, if Allar didn’t do well, it may have damaged his confidence. Hopefully Allar surpasses Sean Clifford’s as a QB and I expect that he will. It would be a disappointment to everyone if he doesn’t but, IMO it is not a given that he does.
And your response is complete trash. Nowhere did I suggest that the team should lose nor "tank", and in fact I actually cited specific games which likely would have still been won, but by fewer than 3 scores. And winning any non-playoff game means absolutely nothing, so that argument is worthless.

As I stated earlier, Franklin forfeited the right to use the excuse that Allar is inexperienced because he chose to give Clifford way more snaps than necessary. He owed it to the team to balance the current season with the future, but he put Sean above Drew.

Yep, just such high expectations from all of us including myself.
I am tempering my expectations. No matter the star rating he is a first year starter. There will certainly be some difficulties. Hopefully he doesn't develop a propensity to throw into double and triple coverage and can read and take the easy passes.

And your response is complete trash. Nowhere did I suggest that the team should lose nor "tank", and in fact I actually cited specific games which likely would have still been won, but by fewer than 3 scores. And winning any non-playoff game means absolutely nothing, so that argument is worthless.

As I stated earlier, Franklin forfeited the right to use the excuse that Allar is inexperienced because he chose to give Clifford way more snaps than necessary. He owed it to the team to balance the current season with the future, but he put Sean above Drew.
Worthless to you. Actual PSU fans like to see the team go 1-0 every week they can.

You can "state" whatever you like but it doesn't make it near true. Franklin forfeited nothing to actual PSU fans. Allar could have gotten a $5Million offer to go QB at USC, and then supposed "fans" would have been bitching that he didn't share the backup reps between Allar and Pribula. Just sour grapes and 20-20 second guessing which is very popular on this board. Franklin's job is to win the next game during every season and actual PSU fans would have been upset if he risked that by letting a weak team come back from a 3 TD deficit to a narrow win that could have been a loss with another mistake or lucky play late in the 4th quarter.

I am tempering my expectations. No matter the star rating he is a first year starter. There will certainly be some difficulties. Hopefully he doesn't develop a propensity to throw into double and triple coverage and can read and take the easy passes.
According to the BWI guys and guys at 247, they all seem to agree that Allar has been great/excellent at avoiding turnovers in his short practice career. They say that when he misses, he misses where no one can catch it. Very impressive for a young kid against a D that seems to have a knack for the ball.

That's funny I see 4 for 5 and 75 yards no picks

Probably a good approach but I am still hoping he is the magic sauce who gets us over the top vs Michigan and OSU.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT