ADVERTISEMENT

Number of posters on other sites claiming that the defense is light years ahead of offense

WVU returns the entire starting OL & top three RBs from last year. New starting QB like PSU. Their defensive secondary has issues.
With all that returning talent, they were picked to finish in last place in the Big XII.

Interesting that they mentioned who was playing where but didn't mention that the 1s OL was without two expected starters. I read that Fashanu and one other didn't play.

Pretty big details if you ask me. Additionally, who knows what was being tried. Considering we are supposed to be lights out on defense and breaking in a new QB and searching for WRs, wouldn't this be the info you want to hear?

If our offense was blowing the defense out, I'd be far more concerned.

They won't.
I also suspect that they won’t, but that program clearly is not in a good state right now. Their head coach is on a very short leash. Also, the fact that they play in a predominantly Southwest conference obviously has worked against them in many ways; their closest conference away trip is Ames, IO.

With all that returning talent, they were picked to finish in last place in the Big XII.
Yeah, I think they'll do better than that. They're not going to win their conference but they should be improved. It's a very good 1st game for PSU with a new starting QB.

I think you have to give the young QBs and WRs some opportunities for success. It’s a fine line. If you’re getting hammered by the 1st D everyday that could too negatively impact your confidence. We saw the Defense hammer the Offense in the B/W game also. . I’d hope they get the opportunity for some success vs the 2nd team D.

I’m sure Yurcich is hoping they can run the ball well vs WVU and not rely on the pass in the 1st game. Also probably keep an extra blocker in to help Allar have more time. If we think he’s going to be an instant success, we’re fooling ourselves. The passing game takes time to develop.

I think you have to give the young QBs and WRs some opportunities for success. It’s a fine line. If you’re getting hammered by the 1st D everyday that could too negatively impact your confidence. We saw the Defense hammer the Offense in the B/W game also. . I’d hope they get the opportunity for some success vs the 2nd team D.

I’m sure Yurcich is hoping they can run the ball well vs WVU and not rely on the pass in the 1st game. Also probably keep an extra blocker in to help Allar have more time.
Franklin always shunned extra blockers because he says it brings extra defenders.

I’m sure Yurcich is hoping they can run the ball well vs WVU and not rely on the pass in the 1st game. Also probably keep an extra blocker in to help Allar have more time. If we think he’s going to be an instant success, we’re fooling ourselves. The passing game takes time to develop.
I doubt that they run it the same way every practice/scrimmage. This scrimmage was designed to let the crowd have some access while not seeing too much. That means vanilla offense. That means defense dominates.

I'm a little bit concerned by this. Our OL was supposed to be great and Allar was expected to be as good as Clifford. Cephas was supposed to be our difference maker at WR.
Olu and tengeall didn't play.

This is the only post I've saw elsewhere...

---

Tigers93
Posted on 13 hrs, , User Since 248 months ago, User Post Count: 6568
13 hrs
248 months
Most of practice was the offense vs. defense with full contact and intensity, where the coordinators called the plays. There were situational drills and just a scrimmage where offense started at different parts of the field, and played until they either score or punt. They rotated where it was 1s vs 1s, 2s vs. 2s, etc.

- Starting safeties were Reed and Winston
- Kobe King played with the 1s, Elsdon/DeLuca/Rojas played the 2s
- Starting WRs were KLS, Evans, Wallace... Cephas currently on the 3s
- Potts played with 2s and Montgomery saw lot of action with the 3s
- Allar throws 60-70 yard bombs effortlessly, and is impressive human being
- Defense light-years ahead of Offense, the offense struggled mightedly to get a first down or even complete a pass and were nowhere near to getting a TD.
- 3 more weeks left, but unless its fixed fast, the QB position will be our undoing. I wouldn't be surprised Pribula starts at some point.
- FG kicking needs some work
- Players that stood out: Clifford, Kalen King, Deluca

I think the defense is elite. But I would favor Michigan to win because they have a proven QB. If the QB position doesn't improve, I think we could wind up 9-3.
So Allar is a bum based on one practice? You guys are truly amazing.

BINGO in spades.
If people are bitching about the OP where I posted that I combines 5 or 6 reviews to get an actual PSU Football discussion going, and that this message was posted so that others could bitch that was not the intent.

I had really hoped that someone actually attended and could discuss what they saw.

I am a big Franklin Supporter and believe the PSU will be very good this year.

Now back to cooking deer meat and arguments on Pizza establishments in Central PA.

If people are bitching about the OP where I posted that I combines 5 or 6 reviews to get an actual PSU Football discussion going, and that this message was posted so that others could bitch that was not the intent.

I had really hoped that someone actually attended and could discuss what they saw.

I am a big Franklin Supporter and believe the PSU will be very good this year.

Now back to cooking deer meat and arguments on Pizza establishments in Central PA.
I'm with you, I'd like to hear a few of our posters' personal experiences watching. I'd guess they saw most of what we've already heard but maybe a few have some other takes to add as well?

Reactions: PSU Soupy
So Allar is a bum based on one practice? You guys are truly amazing.

I wasn't there. Shared a write up from another board.

--

Another write up.

Last edited:
Read a number of posts from people at the scrimmage and the universal opinion was that the defense was suffocating the offense......is that good news or bad news?

Allar was struggling to make quick decisions. Starting WRs Evans, KLS and Trey. Cephus 3rd team as of the scrimmage.

King starting at Mike.....along with Carter along with Jacobs.

DL was winning the battle at line of scrimmage......DBs were playing tight defense with no where to throw.

Pribula played about the same....some saying better than Allar, especially in terms of making quick decisions and choosing to run.

We knew that the defense would be good.......hoping that the defense beating on the offense makes the offense better. Against Michigan and tOSU you better be able to put 4 tds on the board or you are going to struggle to win....... This is all second hand information gleemed from other free sites........anyone have more info or can give another view point?
1) D is always ahead of offense at this stage. Especially on the practice field because the D is familiar with their team's offensive concepts. And O is breaking in a new QB and receivers which is a big deal.

2) Coaches design the scrimmages carefully so if the D is really crushing the O right now it's because the coaches want it that way.

Coaches want the O to get used to a very aggressive, physical blitzing defense. Because this team is going to see some good defenses in the early part of the season. When they see Illinois, when they see Iowa, they want the O to see those defenses as something they can handle. They want Allar/Pribula to not freak out if Bielema blitzes 6 or 7 every play, because Bielema is enough of a gambler he might just do that.

Reactions: lazydave841
I wasn't there. Shared a write up from another board.

--

Another write up.
The article indicates bad weather. We are going to beat up the offense for underperforming in a rainy practice?

According to BWI live show today, the scrimmage session was situational based. Down and distance were programmed in vs just a true game setup. Talked about a Meiga reception from Allar that in a game would have setup 1st and goal, but they moved the ball back to midfield.

-Trey Potts looking like a hammer in short yardage.
-DL, ends and TACKLES, are 3 deep and dominant. JVDB sounds like he's the disruptive player we've been waiting on.
-Liam Clifford excellent at finding holes in the zone, seems to be thriving under Hagans
-Defense is near elite level, if not elite.
-Smolik throws with rhythm.
-Pribula not trusting his arm, taking off and using his legs.
-Allar inconsistent on some throws, but probably only threw 15-20. Wet ball drops hurt all 3.
-King Mack, pure stud. Can hit, took on Potts to the sideline on one play. Strip sacked a QB.
-Tyreece Mills back at S.
-Malick Meiga doing quiet work. Trying to work his way back into more snaps.

-Allar inconsistent on some throws, but probably only threw 15-20. Wet ball drops hurt all 3.
Based on just these lines I'm going with Allar. I'd rather the inconsistency than someone that lacks patience for allow plays to develop and going with the read.

Reactions: RickinDayton
According to BWI live show today, the scrimmage session was situational based. Down and distance were programmed in vs just a true game setup. Talked about a Meiga reception from Allar that in a game would have setup 1st and goal, but they moved the ball back to midfield.

-Trey Potts looking like a hammer in short yardage.
-DL, ends and TACKLES, are 3 deep and dominant. JVDB sounds like he's the disruptive player we've been waiting on.
-Liam Clifford excellent at finding holes in the zone, seems to be thriving under Hagans
-Defense is near elite level, if not elite.
-Smolik throws with rhythm.
-King Mack, pure stud. Can hit, took on Potts to the sideline on one play. Strip sacked a QB.
-Tyreece Mills back at S.
-Malick Meiga doing quiet work. Trying to work his way back into more snaps.
Seems balanced. I'm still wait & see on OL also DTs being an effective three deep. Looking forward to watching this team compete and improve as the season progresses. We know their will be some roller coaster times for the new QB.

Reactions: lazydave841
Based on just these lines I'm going with Allar. I'd rather the inconsistency than someone that lacks patience for allow plays to develop and going with the read.

These lines are why I think Pribula stays long term. He needs time. His ceiling might be weight room Trace, but he's not there yet. Smolik sounds like he was a good late pickup.

Our defense is one of the best in the country and is going to dominate a lot of offenses this year, so I’m not surprised at all. It’s also quite normal for any offense with a new QB to be trailing the D. Not worried at all.

ESPN's write up on what we'll learn about Penn State in September--honestly we couldn't have asked for an easier start. Iowa may be ranked in the 20s before we beat them is the only think I disagree with. Although they'd have to beat Iowa State.

If the Nittany Lions have a winning quarterback. With a September slate that includes West Virginia, Delaware, Illinois and Iowa, the Nittany Lions likely won't face a ranked opponent until Oct. 21, when they travel to Ohio State. It's an ideal lineup for a rookie quarterback to ease into the starting job, but Drew Allar or Beau Pribula also must be good enough to avoid an upset.

ESPN's write up on what we'll learn about Penn State in September--honestly we couldn't have asked for an easier start. Iowa may be ranked in the 20s before we beat them is the only think I disagree with. Although they'd have to beat Iowa State.

If the Nittany Lions have a winning quarterback. With a September slate that includes West Virginia, Delaware, Illinois and Iowa, the Nittany Lions likely won't face a ranked opponent until Oct. 21, when they travel to Ohio State. It's an ideal lineup for a rookie quarterback to ease into the starting job, but Drew Allar or Beau Pribula also must be good enough to avoid an upset.

I hope Iowa comes in ranked and actually has a pulse on offense. Their defense is always a test, but we should have a healthy QB and a running game this go around. I think our defense suffocates their offense and if we put some points up early, they start chasing plays and it gets ugly.

Illinois is the one I'm confused by many people's fear. Yes, they played Michigan good last year. They also got beat by Indiana. Unless they batted 1000 on portal guys, they don't have the depth to replace what they lost. Forget the '21 game. It's irrelevant to this one. If they are 2-0, they probably get ranked prior.

Both present Allar with similar styles of our 2 tougher opponents later in the schedule. Allar doesn't have to be an All American candidate out the gate, but he can't be sloppy very much either.

Reactions: LandoComando
I don’t think the defense being “ahead” is neither good nor bad. I didn’t see the scrimmage but if the rules were similar to the Blue White game, I don’t think you can definitively make the claim. The rules favored the defense seven ways to Sunday because they wouldn’t allow the linemen to pull (and therefore cut defenders) which gave Diaz’s scheme a significant advantage. In other words, blitz speedy linebacker into a gap without worrying if the gap is going to change.

“Allar was struggling to make quick decisions. “

Allar is a rookie starter. The only meaningful snaps he took last year were in the opener. The closest thing he had was mop up duty against Michigan where he didn’t have to do much. He struggled making decisions last year and will struggle, at least for a spell this year.

“DL was winning the battle at line of scrimmage......”

If the rules were the same as the Blue White game, this point is moot. Even if the rules were more open, our line isn't that good. Olu was a bright spot but looked like everyone else against the two teams that matter.

“DBs were playing tight defense with no where to throw.”

This is very likely the worst receiving corps we have had since 2003/4.

“Pribula played about the same....some saying better than Allar, especially in terms of making quick decisions and choosing to run.”

He is a run first quarterback (aka option) just like Trace. It is what he does. He can’t make 2/3s of the throws the offense requires so he has to run early and often when in.

Who coached the team in 03/04?

Ignore winning and prep the backup.
There were 8 games won by 19+ points, so if you think that Allar got enough snaps, then you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but you are wrong.

More like "Ignore preparing the backup and let your precious QB get a meaningless record".

There were 8 games won by 19+ points, so if you think that Allar got enough snaps, then you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but you are wrong.

More like "Ignore preparing the backup and let your precious QB get a meaningless record".
Only 8? Must be bad coaching.

Reactions: marshall23
Only 8? Must be bad coaching.
5-7 Michigan State
4-8 Rutgers
8-5 Maryland
4-8 Indiana
9-4 Minnesota
4-8 Central Michigan
5-7 Auburn
10-4 Ohio

I might have been able to coach against teams with a combined record of 49-51. Try harder to deflect from the issue next time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT