ADVERTISEMENT

Number of posters on other sites claiming that the defense is light years ahead of offense

PSU Soupy

Aug 3, 2008
Read a number of posts from people at the scrimmage and the universal opinion was that the defense was suffocating the offense......is that good news or bad news?

Allar was struggling to make quick decisions. Starting WRs Evans, KLS and Trey. Cephus 3rd team as of the scrimmage.

King starting at Mike.....along with Carter along with Jacobs.

DL was winning the battle at line of scrimmage......DBs were playing tight defense with no where to throw.

Pribula played about the same....some saying better than Allar, especially in terms of making quick decisions and choosing to run.

We knew that the defense would be good.......hoping that the defense beating on the offense makes the offense better. Against Michigan and tOSU you better be able to put 4 tds on the board or you are going to struggle to win....... This is all second hand information gleemed from other free sites........anyone have more info or can give another view point?

Reactions: JimNazium
Read a number of posts from people at the scrimmage and the universal opinion was that the defense was suffocating the offense......is that good news or bad news?

Allar was struggling to make quick decisions. Starting WRs Evans, KLS and Trey. Cephus 3rd team as of the scrimmage.

DL was winning the battle at line of scrimmage......DBs were playing tight defense with no where to throw.

Pribula played about the same....some saying better than Allar, especially in terms of making quick decisions and choosing to run.

We knew that the defense would be good.......hoping that the defense beating on the offense makes the offense better. Against Michigan and tOSU you better be able to put 4 tds on the board or you are going to struggle to win....... This is all second hand information gleemed from other free sites........anyone have more info or can give another view point?
Offense playing against an elite defense every day in practice .. is a good thing..I think our schedules sets up nicely for us.. gives Allar even more game time experience till we hit hart of schedule..something tells me though the WVU game will be close until mid 3 rd qtr..WVU is a great opener for us.,

the universal opinion was that the defense was suffocating the offense......is that good news or bad news?

This was the first open practice of the Franklin Era. Every bit of this was controlled. Fans saw what the staff desired.

It's way too early to designate anything because quite frankly, until you get on the field vs WVU, Illinois, Iowa, and OSU we don't know what we should have.

No matter how this turned out, there is a negative spin. WRs beat our DBs? Well, we ain't stopping MHJ and Egbuka. Singleton and Allen run big? There's another 400 rushing yards to Michigan.

Appreciate sharing the info. Not sure we can glean too much from the open practice but it is really all we have. So thanks!

Read a number of posts from people at the scrimmage
This is the only post I've saw elsewhere...

---

Tigers93
Posted on 13 hrs, , User Since 248 months ago, User Post Count: 6568
13 hrs
248 months
Most of practice was the offense vs. defense with full contact and intensity, where the coordinators called the plays. There were situational drills and just a scrimmage where offense started at different parts of the field, and played until they either score or punt. They rotated where it was 1s vs 1s, 2s vs. 2s, etc.

- Starting safeties were Reed and Winston
- Kobe King played with the 1s, Elsdon/DeLuca/Rojas played the 2s
- Starting WRs were KLS, Evans, Wallace... Cephas currently on the 3s
- Potts played with 2s and Montgomery saw lot of action with the 3s
- Allar throws 60-70 yard bombs effortlessly, and is impressive human being
- Defense light-years ahead of Offense, the offense struggled mightedly to get a first down or even complete a pass and were nowhere near to getting a TD.
- 3 more weeks left, but unless its fixed fast, the QB position will be our undoing. I wouldn't be surprised Pribula starts at some point.
- FG kicking needs some work
- Players that stood out: Clifford, Kalen King, Deluca

I think the defense is elite. But I would favor Michigan to win because they have a proven QB. If the QB position doesn't improve, I think we could wind up 9-3.

Reactions: Obliviax
Offense playing against an elite defense every day in practice .. is a good thing..I think our schedules sets up nicely for us.. gives Allar even more game time experience till we hit hart of schedule..something tells me though the WVU game will be close until mid 3 rd qtr..WVU is a great opener for us.,
I agree that i would rather go against a great defense and improve, versus a bad defense. The only issue can be knocking down the confidence of the offense, if they are rarely successful in moving the ball. Scares me

---

Tigers93
13 hrs
248 months
Most of practice was the offense vs. defense with full contact and intensity, where the coordinators called the plays. There were situational drills and just a scrimmage where offense started at different parts of the field, and played until they either score or punt. They rotated where it was 1s vs 1s, 2s vs. 2s, etc.

- Defense light-years ahead of Offense, the offense struggled mightedly to get a first down or even complete a pass and were nowhere near to getting a TD.
- 3 more weeks left, but unless its fixed fast, the QB position will be our undoing. I wouldn't be surprised Pribula starts at some point.

I think the defense is elite. But I would favor Michigan to win because they have a proven QB. If the QB position doesn't improve, I think we could wind up 9-3.
seems to match up pretty well with the OP.

Thanks for posting.

Reactions: tlbakernc

---

Tigers93
13 hrs
248 months

On paper we are only 10-2.

I don’t think the defense being “ahead” is neither good nor bad. I didn’t see the scrimmage but if the rules were similar to the Blue White game, I don’t think you can definitively make the claim. The rules favored the defense seven ways to Sunday because they wouldn’t allow the linemen to pull (and therefore cut defenders) which gave Diaz’s scheme a significant advantage. In other words, blitz speedy linebacker into a gap without worrying if the gap is going to change.

“Allar was struggling to make quick decisions. “

Allar is a rookie starter. The only meaningful snaps he took last year were in the opener. The closest thing he had was mop up duty against Michigan where he didn’t have to do much. He struggled making decisions last year and will struggle, at least for a spell this year.

“DL was winning the battle at line of scrimmage......”

If the rules were the same as the Blue White game, this point is moot. Even if the rules were more open, our line isn't that good. Olu was a bright spot but looked like everyone else against the two teams that matter.

“DBs were playing tight defense with no where to throw.”

This is very likely the worst receiving corps we have had since 2003/4.

“Pribula played about the same....some saying better than Allar, especially in terms of making quick decisions and choosing to run.”

He is a run first quarterback (aka option) just like Trace. It is what he does. He can’t make 2/3s of the throws the offense requires so he has to run early and often when in.

• Haha
Reactions: The Spin Meister
I don’t think the defense being “ahead” is neither good nor bad. I didn’t see the scrimmage but if the rules were similar to the Blue White game, I don’t think you can definitively make the claim. The rules favored the defense seven ways to Sunday because they wouldn’t allow the linemen to pull (and therefore cut defenders) which gave Diaz’s scheme a significant advantage. In other words, blitz speedy linebacker into a gap without worrying if the gap is going to change.

Allar is a rookie starter. The only meaningful snaps he took last year were in the opener. The closest thing he had was mop up duty against Michigan where he didn’t have to do much. He struggled making decisions last year and will struggle, at least for a spell this year.

If the rules were the same as the Blue White game, this point is moot. Even if the rules were more open, our line isn't that good. Olu was a bright spot but looked like everyone else against the two teams that matter.

“Pribula played about the same....some saying better than Allar, especially in terms of making quick decisions and choosing to run.”

He is a run first quarterback (aka option) just like Trace. It is what he does. He can’t make 2/3s of the throws the offense requires so he has to run early and often when in.
I do not disagree with your post. I read 5-6 write ups and posted the common factors in them.

Hoping for some attendee or attendees to post their thoughts.

I do not disagree with your post. I read 5-6 write ups and posted the common factors in them.

Hoping for some attendee or attendees to post their thoughts.
I totally understand. I just wanted to raise a few counter points to the prevailing thoughts. Nothing more. My opinion about this team is unchanged. I don't put too much stock into last year's results as they pertain to this season due to the schedule differences.

But, the thing most concerning is the fact that Cephus is third team after being on campus for a few weeks. He is the most experienced receiver on the roster. This is either a very bad sign or a very good sign and based on what we have seen and heard, very mad seems to be far more likely than very good.

thanks...seems to conflict with the OP that Allar struggled while Beau played better.

there are some comments about WRs getting open and getting hit over the top. Of course, if the D was playing it really tight a counter is to go deep and make the Safeties back off and loosen up the linebackers. But in a scrimmage, the O would want to go through a scripted list of plays so they can study them on video.

I am unconcerned at this point in time.

Not going to disagree about defense being ahead of offense."Light years" may a bit of an exaggeration for effect. That said, it was a breezy, steady rain for more than half of practice. Offense is typically lower efficiency in that type of weather.

Also not concerned about wideouts. If Cephus is worthy of being a starter, he will be. And if he isn't we've been recruiting WRs hard for a few years now. There SHOULD be a healthy competition, and if some guys on the team have stepped up their games to compete, sauce for the goose.

Reactions: PSU Soupy
Also in the article posted above Tengwell and Olu did not play on the left hand side of the line.....

The article did mention that Isaac and Sutton were consistently in the backfield....you take those two plus Chop Robinson and our DEs are going to be a handful..... Good to hear King is looking stoudt at Mike....he along with Carter and Jacobs is an imposing unit, which is bigger than PSU has been at LB lately. The DBs I have little to no conern, we have been recruiting well in that area. WRs sound like they are improving and if they can play well with Allar, then the PSU hype is entirely worthy of the pre-season noice.

The tight ends weren’t overly involved in the offense from a passing game standpoint.

What else in new! Best group of TE's in the Big, so they say and we barely use them in passing situations!!!

Not going to disagree about defense being ahead of offense."Light years" may a bit of an exaggeration for effect. That said, it was a breezy, steady rain for more than half of practice. Offense is typically lower efficiency in that type of weather.

Also not concerned about wideouts. If Cephus is worthy of being a starter, he will be. And if he isn't we've been recruiting WRs hard for a few years now. There SHOULD be a healthy competition, and if some guys on the team have stepped up their games to compete, sauce for the goose.
The problem is that we have recruited receiver harder than any other position on the team during Franklin's tenure with little to show for it at the expense of other positions. I have seen nothing from the current crop to indicate the results will be any better.

Defense will always be ahead of O early.

The problem is that we have recruited receiver harder than any other position on the team during Franklin's tenure with little to show for it at the expense of other positions. I have seen nothing from the current crop to indicate the results will be any better.
I find this encouraging.

The tight ends weren’t overly involved in the offense from a passing game standpoint.

What else in new! Best group of TE's in the Big, so they say and we barely use them in passing situations!!!
Must be getting late early. No substitute for criticism of coaches before game one.

• Haha
Reactions: rcy4499

---

Tigers93
13 hrs
248 months

Cmon, its early. A little overdramatic.

Reactions: lazydave841
And you know what if Franklin would have given more snaps to Allar just maybe he be a lot further ahead many games last year where was a chance to put him in early

And you know what if Franklin would have given more snaps to Allar just maybe he be a lot further ahead many games last year where was a chance to put him in early
LOL what insight. If your mother had testicles...

if that's true it does not sound good at all

those years were good defenses that could never stay off the field for more than 4 snaps, and the WRs were a big part of the problem. '03 was likely the worst psu team of the last 100 years

if that's true it does not sound good at all

those years were good defenses that could never stay off the field for more than 4 snaps, and the WRs were a big part of the problem. '03 was likely the worst psu team of the last 100 years
It's coach Wally .😔

WVU returns the entire starting OL & top three RBs from last year. New starting QB like PSU. Their defensive secondary has issues.

If it’s an open practice the staff was likely keeping the offense very simple. Plus your down 2 starting OL against one of the best DLs and secondaries in college football. It’s gonna be a though practice for any offense.

---

Tigers93
13 hrs
248 months

People asking for the backup already.

WVU returns the entire starting OL & top three RBs from last year. New starting QB like PSU. Their defensive secondary has issues.
Yep, but it would be better for WVU if their returning players actually showed some talent in 2022....... They are returning from a 5-7 season, not an 11-2 season.

Given PSU's returning defense, what would be the over/under for WVU points in their game against PSU? Around 10-14 points? Or is that too generous...

so, here's a question for the true football experts....how does a defense scheme/play against an allar led offense as opposed to a clifford led one? Clifford ran that qb draw pretty well and was always a concern for dbs. does allar make the more difficult throws better than clifford? Yea it will take allar a while to read things as quickly as a 5 year starter, coaches know that. How do they compensatez/

so, here's a question for the true football experts....how does a defense scheme/play against an allar led offense as opposed to a clifford led one? Clifford ran that qb draw pretty well and was always a concern for dbs. does allar make the more difficult throws better than clifford? Yea it will take allar a while to read things as quickly as a 5 year starter, coaches know that. How do they compensatez/
With Allar's deep ball capabilities.

I'm a little bit concerned by this. Our OL was supposed to be great and Allar was expected to be as good as Clifford. Cephas was supposed to be our difference maker at WR.

I'd make him prove he can make the short and intermediate completions consistently while giving a cushion. Upfront, I'd be dialing up blitzes to see how well and how quickly he recognizes and responds.

Reactions: rcy4499

---

Tigers93
13 hrs
248 months

Interesting that they mentioned who was playing where but didn't mention that the 1s OL was without two expected starters. I read that Fashanu and one other didn't play.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT