ADVERTISEMENT

Florida State QB De'Andre Johnson punches woman in face

Hey look, you watched the same video I did and you are certainly entitled to your opinion. I just don't think it was 100% his fault. That there was no instigation. If you watch the video close enough she bangs into other patrons trying to order a drink with no consideration before he even steps up. I find his behavior to be boorish at best, and I find her to be anything but a pacifist...I'm sorry.

Yea I kind of agree. She also seemed to be pretty drunk and moved over and blocked his way.
But he could have just muscled her our of the way he didn't have to punch her.
And she could have moved and not bled all over the bar.
Don't really feel sorry for either of them.

I think pretty much everyone is in agreement that nothing justifies his conduct. He should be prosecuted and kicked off the team. And nobody is blaming the victim. The bottomline is that she did not help the situation by confronting him in an agressive manner by cocking her fist back and then punching him. That in no way means that she deserved to get punched in response.

Reactions: BBrown and ram2020
This article with an extended video that shows the entire event - including prior to either party being at bar. See link below:

http://q13fox.com/2015/07/06/video-shows-fsu-quarterback-punching-woman-at-a-bar/

No way anyone can watch that video and claim this woman "instigated" the event or was the aggressor. The woman was VERY CLEARLY positioned at the bar with her back to Johnson who comes up to the bar behind her and immediately jams his elbow directly into her lower-left back in the kidney area. He then increases his leverage into her by grabbing the bar as the woman next to her leaves and literally pressures her into the bar and down the bar away from him. The girl is struggling to turn toward him due to the leverage he is putting on her and is screaming at him. He then proceeds to grab her right wrist. She tries to hit him with what is clearly her off hand (her left hand) and hits him with what amounts to a baby slap with again what is clearly her off hand. He then hits her with a direct right-cross while still holding her right hand back so she is completely defenseless. Anyone that can watch this and defend this punk is seriously screwed up - there is no way that girl instigated anything. BTW, he should be prosecuted for being underage and directly at the bar - let alone somebody his size elbowing a woman hard in the kidneys and then punching her in the face so he can illegally place himself directly at the bar???

Absolutely agree - he instigated it by inserting himself into a place where he wasn't wanted and where there wasn't room. I see zero sense of 'entitlement' as others have claimed - she was waiting for service like everyone else. Kid needs an ass beating for punching a girl in the face.

Absolutely agree - he instigated it by inserting himself into a place where he wasn't wanted and where there wasn't room. I see zero sense of 'entitlement' as others have claimed - she was waiting for service like everyone else. Kid needs an ass beating for punching a girl in the face.

We'll have to disagree on this one. I thought she looked just a pushy as he did and seemed to slide over preventing him from
getting to the bar.

How is supposed to avoid the rush on the football field if he can't even avoid a girl trying to block his way to an opening at a bar? That is probably what got him booted.

You know, I'm probably going to get killed for this and shouted at "what if it was your daughter," but I don't really love the actions of either of these kids...yes, immature children, at this bar. If you watch the entire video, I think the Tallahassee newspaper has it up online, its pretty obvious that the woman here is very pushy and entitled...she simply won't be cut in line for the bar, even if it means resorting to pushing, threatening, and punching. Now, that does not give this Johnson kid carte blanche to load one up and hit her in the face and I have to say, he is equally as entitled and pushy before the punch too. I have noticed that some......not all women, especially at the college age are pretty entitled just like some of these big time athletes. This looks like a pretty bad mix that is of course compounded by alcohol consumption. In the land of acceptance, in the age of equality, I say they both get thrown out of school? Anyone agree??
So your point is she "asked for it"?

I watched it no less than a dozen times ... here is what I saw:

-She was in video from beginning, clearly waiting to get to the bar.
- He points a finger gun in the back of the head of the guy in front of her and says something
- She slips into opening as 3 girls leave, he also tries to slip in
- Girls departing leave slowly causing two to try to fit where one person can
- He holds onto bar as he tries to get a place
- She shoves him with her hip/backside to get him away
- She turns and speaks to him with first raised
- He grabs her raised fist
- She jabs him
- He jabs her

One thing I think no-one is arguing here ... you don't hit a girl ... period.

This also does not give her the right to hip someone, shake a fist at them and then strike them ... it's called assault and can be a felony. If it were my daughter (and I have one their age at a large university) she would get an earful from me as i would deal with what he did in one way and what she did in another.

Reactions: ram2020 and BBrown
I watched it no less than a dozen times ... here is what I saw:

-She was in video from beginning, clearly waiting to get to the bar.
- He points a finger gun in the back of the head of the guy in front of her and says something
- She slips into opening as 3 girls leave, he also tries to slip in
- Girls departing leave slowly causing two to try to fit where one person can
- He holds onto bar as he tries to get a place
- She shoves him with her hip/backside to get him away
- She turns and speaks to him with first raised
- He grabs her raised fist
- She jabs him
- He jabs her

One thing I think no-one is arguing here ... you don't hit a girl ... period.

This also does not give her the right to hip someone, shake a fist at them and then strike them ... it's called assault and can be a felony. If it were my daughter (and I have one their age at a large university) she would get an earful from me as i would deal with what he did in one way and what she did in another.

Fair enough with the analysis, until this bit of equivocation.

- She jabs him
- He jabs her

She did try to jab him. He hit her flush with a right cross while holding on to her shoulder. He is a large, powerful athlete. At the very least, he used a disproportionate amount of force in response and showed no self-control. A big strong athlete who was not in anyway harmed by her feeble jab does not have to respond with a powerful straight right cross to the face. He could have diffused the situation without resorting to force. That is what a truly secure man would have done.

Agree Demlion, there is no argument, you don't punch a women ever under any circumstances. If it was my daughter, he'd be hurt'in right now, my summer would be ruined picking up trash on a highway somewhere, but I'd deal with it.

For those who didn't see the video....certainly, she provokes the f*** out of him, right? Anyone defending this is insane. He clearly grabs and pulls her first and she responds with a limp-wristed jab. He sizes her up and clocks her square in the face. F****** scum.

1329407151835075942.gif

A woman is grabbed by a much larger, athletic man. Is it any surprise that she hit him?

I find it mind-boggling that anyone could place blame on the woman. Then again, this is the interwebs.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
For those who didn't see the video....certainly, she provokes the f*** out of him, right? Anyone defending this is insane. He clearly grabs and pulls her first and she responds with a limp-wristed jab. He sizes her up and clocks her square in the face. F****** scum.

1329407151835075942.gif

I don't think anyone is defending him, at least none of the responses I read were.
But you also are only showing the "high" point, there was more leading up to it.
Also love the 2 guys that stand there and do nothing.

I don't think anyone is defending him, at least none of the responses I read were.
But you also are only showing the "high" point, there was more leading up to it.
Also love the 2 guys that stand there and do nothing.

There wasn't enough leading up to it to justify or defend his actions as 'self defense' or as a result of being provoked; he put his hands on her first.

There wasn't enough leading up to it to justify or defend his actions as 'self defense' or as a result of being provoked; he put his hands on her first.

I agree there wasn't enough for him to defend his actions or claim self defense.
I'm just saying, INMO, I don't think she is completely blameless but didn't deserve to get punched in the face.

Reactions: PSUSignore
I agree there wasn't enough for him to defend his actions or claim self defense.
I'm just saying, INMO, I don't think she is completely blameless but didn't deserve to get punched in the face.

Seems like everyone was getting along pretty well until he showed up; no idea what he or she said, but common courtesy to wait your turn at the bar for a drink, or at least say 'excuse me'. Maybe he said that, but I doubt it.

Seems like everyone was getting along pretty well until he showed up; no idea what he or she said, but common courtesy to wait your turn at the bar for a drink, or at least say 'excuse me'. Maybe he said that, but I doubt it.

What I also found really odd and possibly could be trouble for the bar and bartenders but nobody did anything to either stop it or contain it.
Not the 2 bartenders
and the 2 guys beside the girl did absolutely nothing. Just weird. I'd love to hear whats going on.

What I also found really odd and possibly could be trouble for the bar and bartenders but nobody did anything to either stop it or contain it.
Not the 2 bartenders
and the 2 guys beside the girl did absolutely nothing. Just weird. I'd love to hear whats going on.

I agree with your concern that nobody did anything, but I do not find it odd. It is really way too common.

So your point is she "asked for it"?
Nope, that would a ridiculous leap based on what I have cotributed to this topic. Simply that I found her to be a bit aggressive, pushy, and entitled. She did not ask to get punched in the face, in fact, why would anyone?

Nope, that would a ridiculous leap based on what I have cotributed to this topic. Simply that I found her to be a bit aggressive, pushy, and entitled. She did not ask to get punched in the face, in fact, why would anyone?
Would it still be partly her fault if everything were the same and he stabbed her instead of punching her?

Yea I guess I shouldn't be surprised. But the Bartenders should be in some hot water.

It looks like the bartender didn't see what was going on. Given the traffic at the bar, the place was probably loud (possible music playing) and he couldn't hear anything and his back was turned.

How about the doorman/bouncer that let the 19 y.o. into the bar?

Reactions: psu00
My take on the video. The guy was trying to get to the spot that just open up. He seemed little pushy but it also seemed like the women was trying to block him on purpose. She started to bitch which caused him to exchange a few words. She then raised her hand up with a clutched fist, clearly an aggressive act. He grabbed her arms probably because he didn't want to get punched. She then punch him and in returned he cracked her one.

The women is obviously the aggressor in this video. Still it was no excuse to throw a punch at the women.

That's was my take on the video as well! They both were attempting to get to the open spot of the bar, Johnson was getting blocked by the woman on the left and in turn he got pushed up into the other woman. It appears that the woman was trying to make her personal space and pushed back at Johnson with her butt. Johnson grabbed her clutched fist as she also used her right leg to push him and then she throws a punch with her left arm. I believe she was the aggressor.

Reactions: ram2020
Would it still be partly her fault if everything were the same and he stabbed her instead of punching her?
It's hard for me to even rationalize your point. I guess the simple answer is: No, if he stabbed her we would be talking about a more egregious reaction than even the first overly egregious reaction to her. I am not claiming self defense on his part, I am not claiming leniency for his part, I am not an FSU apologist, I do not think she "asked" for a hard punch to the face. I do not think he should be spared at all and yes, I think his reaction to her mild punch was ridiculous. The ONLY point I was ever trying to make, is that I found her to at least have something to do, not most, not everything, something to do with the escalation of this fight. If your point of view is that anytime a woman is touched by a man it is his fault only....fine, I think that is a completely acceptable viewpoint and I don't think you are ignorant, naive, stupid, or part of some victimization group. I believe that two sperate viewpoints can run concurrent to each other in most matters in life. I think you can reasonably make the case that he was WAY over the line and she was somewhat combative. I don't like to just paint all topics in a wide brush. I don't condone violence, I don't support aggressive men, I think it goes without saying he should have walked away, but I will not cloud the fact that she threw the first punch and was a bit reckless.

His lawyer, so take with a grain of salt, said she called him racial epithets and kneed him in the groin. I won't link it but its on ESPN, whether she did this or didn't do it, I stand by the fact that i would kick his As* and then pull her out of school for 1 semester.

It's hard for me to even rationalize your point. I guess the simple answer is: No, if he stabbed her we would be talking about a more egregious reaction than even the first overly egregious reaction to her. I am not claiming self defense on his part, I am not claiming leniency for his part, I am not an FSU apologist, I do not think she "asked" for a hard punch to the face. I do not think he should be spared at all and yes, I think his reaction to her mild punch was ridiculous. The ONLY point I was ever trying to make, is that I found her to at least have something to do, not most, not everything, something to do with the escalation of this fight. If your point of view is that anytime a woman is touched by a man it is his fault only....fine, I think that is a completely acceptable viewpoint and I don't think you are ignorant, naive, stupid, or part of some victimization group. I believe that two sperate viewpoints can run concurrent to each other in most matters in life. I think you can reasonably make the case that he was WAY over the line and she was somewhat combative. I don't like to just paint all topics in a wide brush. I don't condone violence, I don't support aggressive men, I think it goes without saying he should have walked away, but I will not cloud the fact that she threw the first punch and was a bit reckless.

"I just don't think it was 100% his fault. That there was no instigation." If you are not clearly saying here that it is partly her fault and she instigated it then I guess I need a refresher course in English comprehension.

You have clearly said at least once that this incident in which he punched this woman full in the face is not all his fault.

So what is the appropriate response of a woman who is being muscled out of a line? To simply let him do it? To say something to him? What do YOU say should have done so as not to have this incident be her fault at all, yet not sacrifice her right to stand where she walked to?

"I just don't think it was 100% his fault. That there was no instigation." If you are not clearly saying here that it is partly her fault and she instigated it then I guess I need a refresher course in English comprehension.

You have clearly said at least once that this incident in which he punched this woman full in the face is not all his fault.

So what is the appropriate response of a woman who is being muscled out of a line? To simply let him do it? To say something to him? What do YOU say should have done so as not to have this incident be her fault at all, yet not sacrifice her right to stand where she walked to?
Coming into this one way late, Dem. From what I saw, she raised a fist...then another and then struck. Then he countered. I'm NOT condoning his behavior, but in a court of law, couldn't she be considered the assailant? It's hard for me to believe the shoving and jostling between the two are acts of viloence. Once she raised her fist....hmmmm.....I don't know...that seems the first threat. As for your knife abstract, what if she drew a knife first. Physical weaponry was an 'eye for an eye'. Armament capability...way in his favor. Finally, I realize you have daughters. I grew up with three sisters.

Your 1st few sentences are 100% accurate, yes, I am saying she has some culpability in the escalation of the argument, yes. I am not however saying "she deserved it," or it was "all her fault." I think at this point I am done, I am finding you to be obtuse honestly, and I don't know if you are doing in consciously. I watched the video(full) over 5 times, and if you think she was simply an innocent bystander based on the visual evidence, than there is nowhere else for me to go with this argument. I would not be the least big surprised if she called him something very derogatory based on their interaction. Watch the video at about 1:55, she is almost going out of her way to block him from getting to the open spot of the bar. She is immediately combative and raises a fist before he touches her at all. Freeze the video at exactly 1:57 and tell me she is not threatening him. Please, just try. If you can honestly look yourself in the mirror and say "this is a girl that was simply holding her ground, a girl just simply not sacrificing her right to stand at the bar" than i literally don't know what else to say and you and I will never be able to find any common ground on this.

http://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/2015/07/06/video-shows-punch-that-led-to-qbs-arrest/29775149/

Coming into this one way late, Dem. From what I saw, she raised a fist...then another and then struck. Then he countered. I'm NOT condoning his behavior, but in a court of law, couldn't she be considered the assailant? It's hard for me to believe the shoving and jostling between the two are acts of viloence. Once she raised her fist....hmmmm.....I don't know...that seems the first threat. As for your knife abstract, what if she drew a knife first. Physical weaponry was an 'eye for an eye'. Armament capability...way in his favor. Finally, I realize you have daughters. I grew up with three sisters.

Watch how he restrains her when she raises her fist. Watch what he did just BEFORE he eases into that slot. Once he has hold of her right arm he moves toward the shoulder...don't think he had her hair but he might have. Now he is controlling her. She cannot hurt him.

Okay, so just to be clear here: She is aloud to have full right to stand at her spot at the bar, but he has no right to grab her wrist as she cocks a tight fist and pulls back? We can agree that she initiates contact with him at the 1:50 mark by throwing her left shoulder into him and knocking him back right? We can also agree that she is the first one to actually get into anything close to a threatening position right? And you are saying that he has her in a controlled position where she can't hurt him, but you're WRONG, she actually is able to squeeze a punch to his face even while he "controls" her. You are just going to blind face defend her aren't you? Because you are working under the premise that any man that hits a woman is 100% liable for all preceding arguments? Again, that is a fine position to take, but just call it what it is.

Watch how he restrains her when she raises her fist. Watch what he did just BEFORE he eases into that slot. Once he has hold of her right arm he moves toward the shoulder...don't think he had her hair but he might have. Now he is controlling her. She cannot hurt him.
Dem, I'm 'listening' to you.......but.....she raised her fist first. As a lawyer, you know that ain't 'helpful'. The whole thing's a mess and I'm too old to be affected by it. But it seems our society is often performing against the grain of reason and logic. He should have walked away and she should have too. JMHO.

Dem, I'm 'listening' to you.......but.....she raised her fist first. As a lawyer, you know that ain't 'helpful'. The whole thing's a mess and I'm too old to be affected by it. But it seems our society is often performing against the grain of reason and logic. He should have walked away and she should have too. JMHO.

Not a crime to not walk away. It is a crime to punch her in the face. OTOH, when she punched him, if that is what we are calling it, he had control of her right arm and shoulder and maybe a bit of her hair, cant say. He was never in any danger at all. She was in danger the whole time.

I hear what you are saying, too. But when both people walk away nothing happens and we do not hear about it. With video everywhere, there is a tendency to think this think is happening more all the time. It isn't. The incidence MAY actually be down, but we were all misled for many years regarding how common it was.

Last edited:
She was in danger, but to say she did not create any of the danger would be false. I hope everyone with daughters on this board tells them to avoid danger. I agree with an earlier poster, men are inherently aggressive, most don't act on it. I have no idea what this kid's upbringing was, but he is dangerous...I promise you that.

This is BS.dont let our hatred of all things FSU Football related cloud your judgememt. Watch the video. He bumps into her in line and makes his way past her. She raises her fist and he holds her arm. She slips him a jab to which he responds with a jab of his own. She was the agressor. ...we can argue what a man is supposed to or not supposed to do all we want but she is clearly the agressor in this case.

I cannot agree that she initiated contact. From my few of it, contact was initiated by him wth a forearm into her back.
Anybody else find it even less manly of him that not only did he punch a girl in the face, but he immediately runs away from the scene?

This is BS.dont let our hatred of all things FSU Football related cloud your judgememt. Watch the video. He bumps into her in line and makes his way past her. She raises her fist and he holds her arm. She slips him a jab to which he responds with a jab of his own. She was the agressor. ...we can argue what a man is supposed to or not supposed to do all we want but she is clearly the agressor in this case.
I thought I was the only one that saw that video. He clearly held her arms as she clenched her right fist in a threatening manner.. She actually hit hit him first with her other hand.. Dumb kid should have walked away instead of hitting her..Btw some of those bars allow 18 to 20 yo on the premises, but not allowed to drink..

Not a crime to not walk away. It is a crime to punch her in the face. OTOH, when she punched him, if that is what we are calling it, he had control of her right arm and shoulder and maybe a bit of her hair, cant say. He was never in any danger at all. She was in danger the whole time.

I hear what you are saying, too. But when both people walk away nothing happens and we do not hear about it. With video everywhere, there is a tendency to think this think is happening more all the time. It isn't. The incidence MAY actually be down, but we were all misled for many years regarding how common it was.
Dem, I think the number of incidences are in rapid decline and video is the primary reason. I don't like the 'big brother' factor but it has folks toeing the line more. Last argument...she wasn't in danger until she raised her right fist....then....oh well. Good luck with the table. It can't be pine.....can it??!!! ;^)

Dem, I think the number of incidences are in rapid decline and video is the primary reason. I don't like the 'big brother' factor but it has folks toeing the line more. Last argument...she wasn't in danger until she raised her right fist....then....oh well. Good luck with the table. It can't be pine.....can it??!!! ;^)
Oak, Chief. Nuttin' but oak.:)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT