ADVERTISEMENT

Florida State QB De'Andre Johnson punches woman in face

I believe this is due to FL state laws. I'm not an expert here, but I've read a few internet threads where people were amazed at the fact that victim names were published and the person charged was redacted and the response was that FL law dictates what must be redacted and it lines up with how these stories have been handled. I wish I knew enough to cite the specifics but that's what I've heard contextually.

As for the video, my interpretation is that the guy got a little pushy in getting up to the bar and the girl took exception to how much he was pushing her around to get to the empty spot. It looks like she called him out on that verbally at first, then cocked a not very threatening fist. He grabs her arm (he will likely claim self defense here but IMO she didn't look threatening at all) and then he escalates it with aggressive pushing and shoving to the point that the guy behind her is getting pushed around too. At this point, she probably feels threatened so she throws a little punch that is about as hard as a shove to get him to back off. He responds with a haymaker. I'd say both were at fault here in terms of instigating things, but I think he showed way more aggression in the way he grabbed her which liked caused her to get physical.

What we don't know is what she said to him at the 1:48 mark when she slides up to the bar ahead of him as they are both approaching. It may have been a taunting/teasing comment about he's too slow to get there first or whatever, but if it was a comment he took exception to that might be what started the whole confrontation and lead to his aggressive pushing to get to the bar counter as well. Nothing she could have said is an excuse for his behavior, but it could have been the instigation point.

His name was redacted because he is an underclassman supposedly (the funny part about that is that he was AT THE BAR ILLEGALLY - he is not allowed to be AT THE BAR underage). Supposedly, the woman's name was included because she is over the age of 21 as ironic as that is. Not only should this scumbag be charged with assault (there are laws against hitting people you have over-powered -- his holding of her arm to keep it out of the way CLEARLY makes this assault given the size differential of the two), but he should also be charged for being AT THE BAR ILLEGALLY given that he is a minor and they have video of him at the bar!

I have a few daughters. First thing I would do would be to rip them apart for acting like that. Second thing I would do would be to find him and mete out my own justice. I know, I would get in legal trouble. That would be alright with me.
On the other side, if that were my son we would probably be having a physical altercation. Inexcusable.

Editing this to add that all we see if the few seconds of them at the bar. We have no idea if they have a history outside of this incident. There is always more to the story.

Words like "instigation" and "provocation" are what men say who think that in some circumstances it is okay to punch a woman in the face, hard, even if you are in no apprehension of bodily harm. Look up Stephen A. Smith and that term "provocation" wrt Ray Rice. It is not okay. No matter what someone says to you, it does not give you the right to punch them in the face, or to shove them.
If at ANY point have suggested that is was "Okay" to punch a woman than I have misrepresented my point in a ghastly way, I just don't think I have ever said that. Again, I think Johnson should be prosecuted to the fullest. I think he deserves full punishment for his actions. But let's just all stop with the faux outrage every time we see a liquored up athlete do something foolish when provoked. Remember, this kid has been bred to react...be fast, trust your instincts etc. The very teachings that make these kids great athletes can be their downfall when they are getting punched in the face at the bar. And regardless of how hard her punch was, or whether or not its a women or a man...he was punched correct?

If at ANY point have suggested that is was "Okay" to punch a woman than I have misrepresented my point in a ghastly way, I just don't think I have ever said that. Again, I think Johnson should be prosecuted to the fullest. I think he deserves full punishment for his actions. But let's just all stop with the faux outrage every time we see a liquored up athlete do something foolish when provoked. Remember, this kid has been bred to react...be fast, trust your instincts etc. The very teachings that make these kids great athletes can be their downfall when they are getting punched in the face at the bar. And regardless of how hard her punch was, or whether or not its a women or a man...he was punched correct?

You are so full of $hit - so let me get this straight, if a little kid half your size hits you in public, "self-defense" entitles you to grab the childs arm and it back with your left hand while you hit him with a full right-cross directly to the face? Please, give me a break - you can't really be this ignorant. You do not have the right to punch someone half your size when you have clearly made them defenseless and you are under no threat of harm. BTW, what's your excuse for him being in the bar illegally? Let me guess, he's from Florida, but he didn't realize the legal drinking age in Florida is 21??? LMFAO.

What I want to stop with is the use of code words like "instigation" as a means of suggesting she had it coming, or that he had the right to muscle her, then punch her when she resisted. He's been "bred to react???" WTF is that? Nothing he ever learned as a QB should be any reason whatever for him to punch a woman in a bar. You do not hit a woman. You do not restrain women, but most of all you do not muscle your way into the line like he did then hit her when she indicates she doesn't like it. He was struck in the face, pretty lightly, after he restrained her and shoved her back. You keep saying he should be prosecuted but you think there is some justification for what he did. Wow.

On another note, why did this establishment allow someone underage into the bar? This bar could get in some big time trouble. I wonder if other underage people were able to get in.

Once you punch a woman in the face, it might as well be 100% your fault. Furthermore, he is facing criminal charges. He either broke the law or he did not. If by suggesting that it was not 100% his fault you are suggesting that he has a viable self-defense argument, then I disagree. He attempted to restrain and control her using his superior physical strength and training. He was never in danger so long as she did not have a weapon. In order for him to plead self-defense and get anywhere with it, a jury is going to have to believe that he was in apprehension of imminent bodily harm. Really? Bullshit.

And I too do not think a self defense argument will work for Mr. Johnson. I don't subscribe to the notion that "once you punch a woman in the face, it might as well be 100% the man's fault."
What I want to stop with is the use of code words like "instigation" as a means of suggesting she had it coming, or that he had the right to muscle her, then punch her when she resisted. He's been "bred to react???" WTF is that? Nothing he ever learned as a QB should be any reason whatever for him to punch a woman in a bar. You do not hit a woman. You do not restrain women, but most of all you do not muscle your way into the line like he did then hit her when she indicates she doesn't like it. He was struck in the face, pretty lightly, after he restrained her and shoved her back. You keep saying he should be prosecuted but you think there is some justification for what he did. Wow.

So everything is black in white? Everything exists within a vacuum? I can't make the argument that what he did was deplorable without assigning full blame to strictly him? I got you, any issue of a violence related to opposing genders is the man's fault, period, end of story. Blame does not need to be mutually exclusive. I can tell you with 100% certainty that his actions were terrible, but I can also say that I don't think the young lady acted in a manner that would diffuse the situation. I can say that its 90% his fault, but that won't be good enough will it? I will be a domestic violence enabler, or an apologist to men that beat women. God, this is starting to sound like something to me.....wait for it......Everyone at Ped State knew what sandusky did, you are all pedophile enablers....rabble rabble rabble. This literally feels like when I would scream to people that you can by sympathetic to the victims while still having the mental capacity to realize that there was an injustice raining down on the football team and school that was uncalled for.

Reactions: wentzel25
I no longer read or listen to the news...I'm now too lazy and already have established some deeply entrenched opinions. If this involves an athlete from FSU... I pronounce them guilty. My track record is pretty good based on instincts alone.

On another note, why did this establishment allow someone underage into the bar? This bar could get in some big time trouble. I wonder if other underage people were able to get in.

Exactly. Or was he only permitted in the bar because he was an F$U football player? Serving alcohol to minors is just like selling tobacco to minors - if they have somebody carding people at the door, the bar can be held responsible for him being there illegally.

And I too do not think a self defense argument will work for Mr. Johnson. I don't subscribe to the notion that "once you punch a woman in the face, it might as well be 100% the man's fault."

So everything is black in white? Everything exists within a vacuum? I can't make the argument that what he did was deplorable without assigning full blame to strictly him? I got you, any issue of a violence related to opposing genders is the man's fault, period, end of story. Blame does not need to be mutually exclusive. I can tell you with 100% certainty that his actions were terrible, but I can also say that I don't think the young lady acted in a manner that would diffuse the situation. I can say that its 90% his fault, but that won't be good enough will it? I will be a domestic violence enabler, or an apologist to men that beat women. God, this is starting to sound like something to me.....wait for it......Everyone at Ped State knew what sandusky did, you are all pedophile enablers....rabble rabble rabble. This literally feels like when I would scream to people that you can by sympathetic to the victims while still having the mental capacity to realize that there was an injustice raining down on the football team and school that was uncalled for.

Really, false, ignorant accusations about innocent people is beginning to sound like LEGITIMATE FACTUAL ACCUSATION about a scumbag soon-to-be, if not already, criminal punk??? What we really have here is a a hypocritical F$U apologist and douche-bag showing his colors.

On the age thing, it is possible that this establishment is an "18 to enter, 21 to drink" types.

Still not permitted to in the bar area, let alone directly at the bar (unless Florida is different in terms of this law). He would have had to have been in the restaurant eating area. Very doubtful such an establishment would not be required to regulate access to the bar if they are going to permit access to underage people to the dining area.

QUOTE="Bushwood CC, post: 277578, member: 7888"]Really, false, ignorant accusations about innocent people is beginning to sound like LEGITIMATE FACTUAL ACCUSATION about a scumbag soon-to-be, if not already, criminal punk??? What we really have here is a a hypocritical F$U apologist and douche-bag showing his colors.[/QUOTE] hahah, speaking of accusations, you haven't met someone who despises FSU and their culture quite like me, but okay. I really never meant to troll or fan flames, I just saw the altercation differently. Once I start getting referred to as an "FSU apologist" I know my argument or the people outraged by my argument, have jumped the rails. Guy's an ass*ole, deserves what's coming to him, and i'd be just fine if the entire program went to he'll frankly. So I'll pick my battles more wisely moving forward.

Watch it again, he already is grabbing her with his left hand when she hits him, the dude was totally in the wrong here. You don't put your hands on a woman like that, lock him up.
I'm in complete agreement. He is f*****! any hope he had of playing in the NFL one day is now over. Fry him.

He is off the team and she got instant feedback that it's not ok to hit a guy. BOTH got what they deserved!
He is off the team....FOR NOW....

That is a win-at-all-cost program that is as dirty and crooked as they come...they'll quietly find a way to bring this punk back.

Yup, that is precisely the behavior I am talking about. I would define the type of women the author depict as 80% of the women I have dealt with in my life honestly. I was fortunate enough to grow up in suburbia and mostly interact with women that fit this description. They have never bought a drink, worked for anything, treat men like pawns in their game, and if all else fails? They usually have a a big softie for a Dad to come to the rescue. I'm not saying this girl fits that description, that would be prejudiced based on the video, but if I were her Dad I would let her know she looks very entitled and if she is going to throw punches, don't be shocked if you get punched back.

Dude, you have serious issues.

This article with an extended video that shows the entire event - including prior to either party being at bar. See link below:

http://q13fox.com/2015/07/06/video-shows-fsu-quarterback-punching-woman-at-a-bar/

No way anyone can watch that video and claim this woman "instigated" the event or was the aggressor. The woman was VERY CLEARLY positioned at the bar with her back to Johnson who comes up to the bar behind her and immediately jams his elbow directly into her lower-left back in the kidney area. He then increases his leverage into her by grabbing the bar as the woman next to her leaves and literally pressures her into the bar and down the bar away from him. The girl is struggling to turn toward him due to the leverage he is putting on her and is screaming at him. He then proceeds to grab her right wrist. She tries to hit him with what is clearly her off hand (her left hand) and hits him with what amounts to a baby slap with again what is clearly her off hand. He then hits her with a direct right-cross while still holding her right hand back so she is completely defenseless. Anyone that can watch this and defend this punk is seriously screwed up - there is no way that girl instigated anything. BTW, he should be prosecuted for being underage and directly at the bar - let alone somebody his size elbowing a woman hard in the kidneys and then punching her in the face so he can illegally place himself directly at the bar???

They are both wrong. I don't believe he has much of a self defense argumment because it would be tough for him to sell that he was reasonably in fear of bodily harm. She could be charged with simple battery. She threw the first punch. And I don't think she would have much of a self defense argument either because she confronted him (albeit for being an a#@hole), arguably escalated it by cocking her fist back, and then threw the first punch. Regardless, I would kick him off the squad. Nothing justifies him jacking her in the face. He is either dumb, can't control his emotions, or a combination of both. Either way, I wouldn't want him on my squad.

Last edited:
They are both wrong. I don't believe he has much of a self defense argumment because it would be tough for him to sell that he was reasonably in fear of bodily harm. She could be charged with simple battery. She threw the first puch. And I don't think she would have much of a self defense argument either because she arguably initiated the confrontation, escalated it by cocking her fist back, and then threw the first punch. Regardless, I would kick him off the squad. Nothing justifies him jacking her in the face. He is either dumb, can't control his emotions, or a combination of both. Either way, I wouldn't want him on my squad.

She did not initiate the confrontation -- that's complete BS. He CLEARLY initiates the confrontation by jacking his elbow directly into the kidney area of her lower-left back and then not only continues to increase pressure into her kidneys, but grabs the bar rail while being behind this woman and the person next to her and uses the bar rail to even apply more pressure into this women's kidney area with his elbow. It wasn't until well into this event which looks rather painful that the woman has even generated enough resistance to twist her body towards him while he continues to put pressure into her. Then she starts yelling at him to get off of her and that is when she curls her right fist IN CLEAR SELF DEFENSE from somebody twice her size who has been shoving his elbow into her kidney and pressuring her hard into the bar from BEHIND HER. He then grabs her right arm before she has ever been able to retaliate. Finally, she attempts to fend him off with a feeble slap from what is clearly her off-hand (left hand) which barely even touches him let alone frighten him. While still holding her right wrist back which he has been restraining for quite some time at this point, and pressuring her directly into the bar so she can't move, he proceeds to hit her with a direct right-cross to the face. Complete BS that she was the instigator or aggressor in this incident as the video I just linked clearly demonstrates.

Reactions: simons96
She did not initiate the confrontation -- that's complete BS. He CLEARLY initiates the confrontation by jacking his elbow directly into the kidney area of her lower-left back and then not only continues to increase pressure into her kidneys, but grabs the bar rail while being behind this woman and the person next to her and uses the bar rail to even apply more pressure into this women's kidney area with his elbow. It wasn't until well into this event which looks rather painful that the woman has even generated enough resistance to twist her body towards him while he continues to put pressure into her. Then she starts yelling at him to get off of her and that is when she curls her right fist IN CLEAR SELF DEFENSE from somebody twice her size who has been shoving his elbow into her kidney and pressuring her hard into the bar from BEHIND HER. He then grabs her right arm before she has ever been able to retaliate. Finally, she attempts to fend him off with a feeble slap from what is clearly her off-hand (left hand) which barely even touches him let alone frighten him. While still holding her right wrist back which he has been restraining for quite some time at this point, and pressuring her directly into the bar so she can't move, he proceeds to hit her with a direct right-cross to the face. Complete BS that she was the instigator or aggressor in this incident as the video I just linked clearly demonstrates.

He is wrong and should be prosecuted and immediately kicked off the team. To me, he looked like an agressive person squeezing his way into an open spot in a bar. That probably happens about a millions times a night in a crowded college bar. If she hit him while he had her pinned up against the bar in an effort to free herself from being trapped, then your version of what happened makes complete sense. But the video shows that he was passed her and in a somewhat open space by the time she confronted him and cocked her fist. In other words, the threat to her resulting from being pinned against the bar while he cut past her was over. Bottom line, it seems to me she was pissed that someone rudely squoze by her to get to the bar and she called him out on it. He grabbed the fist that she cocked back while yelling at him. I doubt he would have grabbed her fist had she not done that. He might be twice her size but that does not mean he is not allowed to stop someone from punching him in the face. Again, he should suffer the consequences for his actions because there is nothing in that video that justifies him jacking her in the face. But I don't see the girl as an innocent wall flower who did absolutely nothing wrong. For arguments sake, let's pretend the girl was actually a guy and did everything she did. Would you say that guy did absolutely nothing wrong from the outset of the incident? College bars would be complete war zones if a guy was justified in reacting in an agressive manner everytime another guy squoze their way into an open spot at a bar.

He is wrong and should be prosecuted and immediately kicked off the team. To me, he looked like an agressive person squeezing his way into an open spot in a bar. That probably happens about a millions times a night in a crowded college bar. If she hit him while he had her pinned up against the bar in an effort to free herself from being trapped, then your version of what happened makes complete sense. But the video shows that he was passed her and in a somewhat open space by the time she confronted him and cocked her fist. In other words, the threat to her resulting from being pinned against the bar while he cut past her was over. Bottom line, it seems to me she was pissed that someone rudely squoze by her to get to the bar and she called him out on it. He grabbed the fist that she cocked back while yelling at him. I doubt he would have grabbed her fist had she not done that. He might be twice her size but that does not mean he is not allowed to stop someone from punching him in the face. Again, he should suffer the consequences for his actions because there is nothing in that video that justifies him jacking her in the face. But I don't see the girl as an innocent wall flower who did absolutely nothing wrong. For arguments sake, let's pretend the girl was actually a guy and did everything she did. Would you say that guy did absolutely nothing wrong from the outset of the incident? College bars would be complete war zones if a guy was justified in reacting in an agressive manner everytime another guy squoze their way into an open spot at a bar.

He does not have the right to drive his elbow hard into anybody's kidneys, let alone a woman, from a position clearly BEHIND THE PARTY HE IS DOING IT TO -- he was not at the bar or near the bar when he INTENTIONALLY initiated contact with a woman who had his back to him and was at the bar by DRIVING his right elbow into her kidneys. Your full of crap if you think that type of thing happens all night at a bar without immediate retaliation (let alone a large football player doing such a thing to a woman a fraction of his size and strength on a totally unprovoked and totally absurd basis -- utterly laughable to claim that guys come up behind women at bars and aggressively strike them with a hard elbow blow into their kidneys and then further drive them into the bar rail. Utterly and completely BS and laughable to make such a claim. A claim that could only be made by an uncouth F$U redneck rationalizing that this girl aggressively asked to abused in such an undeserved fashion). Sorry dipwad, but the video unmistakeably makes it clear that this punk was the aggressor and was also breaking the law by even being at the bar - it also makes it quite clear that this dirtball punk should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law as the aggressor in the situation and a clear perpetrator of criminal assault. Overly-violent punk athlete mercenaries like this have no place on a college campus and are a danger to the student population at large.

One of the big predictors of being a victim of violence is participating in violence .
Man or woman , if you hit someone there's a great chance of someone hitting you back or worse.
It's not right , but it is reality .

Nothing like giving someone a good sock in the face to make your day.:rolleyes:

I haven't watched the video, but based on the responses, I think this story may be germane.

I was in a bar in Tysons Corner, VA (some of you may remember it, it was called "eCities") about a week after 9-11 happened. I was there with a buddy. At some point, I got in a conversation with this older chick (I was about 26, she was probably about 40). It was a conversation that spawned out of the 9-11 coverage that was still coming from the TVs that night. This was a pretty heavy conversation for a "pick up" in a bar. This woman was not physically attractive to me, but she seemed nice and she was intelligent enough to carry this conversation. Never was there a point that I had even a fleeting thought of picking this chick up, and other than having a conversation with her, I don't think I gave off any body language to suggest that I did.

Anyway, probably somewhere between midnight and 1am, she straight up says to me, "You're going to take me home tonight, aren't you?" Maybe I was naive at what was apparently going on here, but I was like, "Uhh wha??? No, that wasn't my plan."

She immediately got visibly angry and started telling me what I jerk I was for letting her spend (waste?) all that time talking to me, when I wasn't planning on taking her home.

I see my buddy about 10' away, smiling and laughing at this. I gave him a few facial expressions that were supposed to say "get the check," but he just kept smiling and laughing. I also noticed that the bouncers had taken notice of us too.

All the while, I'm trying to explain to this woman how I just thought we were having a good/intelligent/adult conversation, and that's all. Eventually, after I was growing tired of her anger and insults, I started to tell her how offended I was that she's now telling me that the only reason she was continuing our conversation was because she wanted me to take her home.

That kicked up her anger even more, and I literally started to get a little afraid of where this was heading. That's when I actually mouthed over to my buddy to get the check.

As soon as I did that, she wound back and punched me in the chest probably about as hard as she could. I "blocked" the punch (got my hand on my chest where her fist ended up landing), and the ring on her finger sliced a gash on one of my fingers, and it started bleeding pretty good.

I was like "What the f*ck!?!" I looked at my finger and saw the gash. I showed it to her, and was like, "WTF is wrong with you??" I looked at my buddy (with a very serious look this time), and said "Get the f*cking check!"

During the 5-10 seconds between the punch and now, about three bouncers moved in close to us, but never actually said (ro did) anything.

After I showed her the gash in my finger and asked her "wtf is wrong with you," she hurled one more insult and walked away.

And that was basically the end of the story.

So, what was the moral? Why did I post it here? Well, even though this chick was obviously angry, and had already full-on punched me once, NEVER ONCE did the though of punching her back ever cross my mind. Not once! Getting myself out of the situation was priority #1, and if I needed to, during my effort to leave the situation, I would have stiff-armed her to make sure she didn't land any more punches. Never ever ever would have I felt the need/desire to physically strike her in anyway.

The D1 college football player that felt the need to punch a girl at a bar in the face has serious issues -- not fit for an orderly society -- in my opinion. If I didn't need to punch the chick in my story, based on what I've read here, this dude didn't need to punch that girl either.

Thank you Bsmith. Nobody is saying he behaved appropriately at all, just that is not cut and dry "all his fault" from what I see in the video, but apparently, like me, you have serious issues man.

EVERYTHING is not black and white. Punching a woman in the face in this situation IS black and white. For the love of God, Stephen A Smith, it is not her DUTY to "defuse" the situation. He and you do not get the right to claim she "instigated" it or "provoked" it. Here is the only way this does NOT happen--if he controls himself and acts like a human being, more specifically, a man. Nothing she did would EVER give him the right to punch her in the face. As long as you cannot take that off the table, you are giving him a pass. And that does make you part of the problem.

I have spent the last 6 years, 2 hours a week, as a facilitator/educator in a room full of domestic abusers. Your rap is roughly equivalent to the rap of the average guy a third of the way through the 32 week class--searching for a way to give himself room for an excuse. You know who most effectively shuts that down? The other guys. They call bullshit on him just like I am calling it on you.

Tell me if he took out a knife and stabbed her to death, would that be partly her fault too? How about if he shot her? Slapped her face sideways? What is the acceptable level of male physical violence toward a woman who poses no threat? Whatever she failed to defuse or instigated? No. The answer is ZERO.

The idea that women have to trim their sails and submit to being shoved aside in a line or get punched in the face by men is simply wrong.

One final thing--about Jerry. Your idea is that maybe these kids should have done something to "defuse" the situation. Maybe they "instigated" it. Right? It's partly the victim's fault, correct? Everythings not black and white. It is much easier to blame the victim than to address the problem. Got it.

The solution for this jackass is to get away from people he does not like--not to punch them. Of course I have not seen any reports of him taking on any boxers or bouncers his size or bigger. It always makes me laugh that the level of "instigation" it takes for a "man" to hit a woman is WAYYY less than it takes for him to hit a 6'4" state trooper. Guys like Johnson are cowards. The notion that this was anyone's fault but his is a joke.

I haven't watched the video, but based on the responses, I think this story may be germane.

I was in a bar in Tysons Corner, VA (some of you may remember it, it was called "eCities") about a week after 9-11 happened. I was there with a buddy. At some point, I got in a conversation with this older chick (I was about 26, she was probably about 40). It was a conversation that spawned out of the 9-11 coverage that was still coming from the TVs that night. This was a pretty heavy conversation for a "pick up" in a bar. This woman was not physically attractive to me, but she seemed nice and she was intelligent enough to carry this conversation. Never was there a point that I had even a fleeting thought of picking this chick up, and other than having a conversation with her, I don't think I gave off any body language to suggest that I did.

Anyway, probably somewhere between midnight and 1am, she straight up says to me, "You're going to take me home tonight, aren't you?" Maybe I was naive at what was apparently going on here, but I was like, "Uhh wha??? No, that wasn't my plan."

She immediately got visibly angry and started telling me what I jerk I was for letting her spend (waste?) all that time talking to me, when I wasn't planning on taking her home.

I see my buddy about 10' away, smiling and laughing at this. I gave him a few facial expressions that were supposed to say "get the check," but he just kept smiling and laughing. I also noticed that the bouncers had taken notice of us too.

All the while, I'm trying to explain to this woman how I just thought we were having a good/intelligent/adult conversation, and that's all. Eventually, after I was growing tired of her anger and insults, I started to tell her how offended I was that she's now telling me that the only reason she was continuing our conversation was because she wanted me to take her home.

That kicked up her anger even more, and I literally started to get a little afraid of where this was heading. That's when I actually mouthed over to my buddy to get the check.

As soon as I did that, she wound back and punched me in the chest probably about as hard as she could. I "blocked" the punch (got my hand on my chest where her fist ended up landing), and the ring on her finger sliced a gash on one of my fingers, and it started bleeding pretty good.

I was like "What the f*ck!?!" I looked at my finger and saw the gash. I showed it to her, and was like, "WTF is wrong with you??" I looked at my buddy (with a very serious look this time), and said "Get the f*cking check!"

During the 5-10 seconds between the punch and now, about three bouncers moved in close to us, but never actually said (ro did) anything.

After I showed her the gash in my finger and asked her "wtf is wrong with you," she hurled one more insult and walked away.

And that was basically the end of the story.

So, what was the moral? Why did I post it here? Well, even though this chick was obviously angry, and had already full-on punched me once, NEVER ONCE did the though of punching her back ever cross my mind. Not once! Getting myself out of the situation was priority #1, and if I needed to, during my effort to leave the situation, I would have stiff-armed her to make sure she didn't land any more punches. Never ever ever would have I felt the need/desire to physically strike her in anyway.

The D1 college football player that felt the need to punch a girl at a bar in the face has serious issues -- not fit for an orderly society -- in my opinion. If I didn't need to punch the chick in my story, based on what I've read here, this dude didn't need to punch that girl either.

Yes. This is what it is about. Nobody is saying that some women are not violent. My group has a class for women, too. But you focused on YOUR conduct, not hers, and said "I'm outta here." That is what you do. You cannot change what she does. You can only control what YOU do.

Reactions: mn78psu83
For all of the men on this board, remember back as far as you can and what was the FIRST rule of life you were taught? This punk obviously didn't listen.

He's a thug and deserves what he gets . She didn't need to hit him.
Domestic violence is often a 50/50 proposition . The whole family plays .
This is not domestic violence . It's s regular crime. And if you want to avoid violence you better be careful about how you use it or escalate a situation.
You can be right and dead. That helps no one. A few years back a woman was shot by s mugger. He had just pistol whipped her boyfriend.
She said to the mugger, " what are you going to do, shoot us?"
So he shot her in the face, killing her. She didn't deserve to die but she didn't help her situation either.
That's why I tell people to avoid violence unless it's necessary. Especially women. Not all men are gentlemen and some will hurt you and strike back. Some might kill you.
It's usually your pride and lack of brains fueled by booze that will get you in trouble.

Your duty is to get home safe IMO . No one will look out for the personal safety as well as you will , or should.

"EVERYTHING is not black and white. Punching a woman in the face in this situation IS black and white"

Indeed.

I feel like everyone else that this is a disgusting act. I was always taught to never hit a woman and have taught my son the same. There is NO excuse (self defense is laughable) for this man to strike that girl the way he did. I wanted a different perspective on this so I asked my wife to watch the video. She recoiled when she seen it and asked what happened to her. I told her the extent of her injuries and then she asked what happened to the player. I told her he was kicked off the team and she said "good". What surprised me next was that she said "I hope that girl learned a lesson from this". I asked what she meant and she said, "I would be willing to bet that's not the first time she punched a man in the face, but I know that's the first time a man punched her back." She proceeded to tell me that she has been out with friends in the past who would punch a guy for stepping on their feet, saying something rude, or any other random issue at a bar. She asked them why they did that and she said "They flat out told me, I can punch a man because they can't hit a woman back". She said what these girls (and others that think this way) don't realize is that not every "man" acts like a man. All it takes is once to learn that every action, no matter who you are dealing with has consequences. It all boils down to an issue of respect. It's sad to see something like this happen and hopefully both of them can learn from this.

Reactions: ram2020
For arguments sake, let's pretend the girl was actually a guy and did everything she did. Would you say that guy did absolutely nothing wrong from the outset of the incident? College bars would be complete war zones if a guy was justified in reacting in an agressive manner everytime another guy squoze their way into an open spot at a bar.
OK. For argument's sake let's pretend the girl was a guy - a 6'5", 325 pound guy. Would Johnson have come up behind him and jammed him into the bar? I doubt it. Johnson saw an opening to get to the bar and didn't see a problem with driving an elbow into the back of snowflake. She took exception and had the nerve to call him on it. In Tallahassee you don't challenge anyone on the football team.

Reactions: simons96
He's a thug and deserves what he gets . She didn't need to hit him.
Domestic violence is often a 50/50 proposition . The whole family plays .
This is not domestic violence . It's s regular crime. And if you want to avoid violence you better be careful about how you use it or escalate a situation.
You can be right and dead. That helps no one. A few years back a woman was shot by s mugger. He had just pistol whipped her boyfriend.
She said to the mugger, " what are you going to do, shoot us?"
So he shot her in the face, killing her. She didn't deserve to die but she didn't help her situation either.
That's why I tell people to avoid violence unless it's necessary. Especially women. Not all men are gentlemen and some will hurt you and strike back. Some might kill you.
It's usually your pride and lack of brains fueled by booze that will get you in trouble.

Sorry man. You are talking out your a$$ when you say, "DV is a 50/50 proposition."

We actually do not know enough to know whether they knew each other before or not, and what the relationship was beforehand, if any.

I feel like everyone else that this is a disgusting act. I was always taught to never hit a woman and have taught my son the same. There is NO excuse (self defense is laughable) for this man to strike that girl the way he did. I wanted a different perspective on this so I asked my wife to watch the video. She recoiled when she seen it and asked what happened to her. I told her the extent of her injuries and then she asked what happened to the player. I told her he was kicked off the team and she said "good". What surprised me next was that she said "I hope that girl learned a lesson from this". I asked what she meant and she said, "I would be willing to bet that's not the first time she punched a man in the face, but I know that's the first time a man punched her back." She proceeded to tell me that she has been out with friends in the past who would punch a guy for stepping on their feet, saying something rude, or any other random issue at a bar. She asked them why they did that and she said "They flat out told me, I can punch a man because they can't hit a woman back". She said what these girls (and others that think this way) don't realize is that not every "man" acts like a man. All it takes is once to learn that every action, no matter who you are dealing with has consequences. It all boils down to an issue of respect. It's sad to see something like this happen and hopefully both of them can learn from this.
I do not disagree. Women need to know, in order to protect themselves, that some men are violent assholes. As a father of two daughters I know this and have told them all their lives. That is a far different thing than assigning them some part of the fault when a violent asshole beats her up.

Reactions: bsmith51
My take on the video. The guy was trying to get to the spot that just open up. He seemed little pushy but it also seemed like the women was trying to block him on purpose. She started to bitch which caused him to exchange a few words. She then raised her hand up with a clutched fist, clearly an aggressive act. He grabbed her arms probably because he didn't want to get punched. She then punch him and in returned he cracked her one.

The women is obviously the aggressor in this video. Still it was no excuse to throw a punch at the women.

Women want equality. If you throw the first punch you have no right to complain when you get one right back. I don't have any sympathy for her. Both should have been arrested.

Last edited:
Socking a woman in the head is "therapy", just ask Tom Osborne and Lawrence Phillips!

ADVERTISEMENT