ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling FinalX PBP

Edit: Here is the current Rule Book for Freestyle and Greco-Roman for those who want to better themselves as human beings and become Board officiating know-it-alls : )

I am admittedly not an expert on freestyle scoring, but I could see how this should have been a four for Nick like the referee initially called. Nick has the leg hooked and seems to be in the process of his throw before Yianni starts arching into his throw. I did find this refereeing video from 2017, which I have attached. I haven't looked through it yet, but I figured it would be beneficial for those of us (all of us?) who sometimes find freestyle officiating perplexing.

I also found this: https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...87/1678681745130/FS_GR+Rules+Summary+2023.pdf

Last edited:
Reactions: creamery freak
Doesn’t seem like it can reasonably be considered an upset at this point.
Always enjoyable watching the humblest of men fell the whiny, I’m-all-that giants in their path. Lee’s arc has been fun to watch, and as quiet as a church mouse. This stoic, stalking wrestler with no reverse gear or visible ego is one of my all-time favorites. In short order, our unassuming mechanic has won 2 NCAA titles, a US Open, and made the US World team. Yawn-ee will watch and wait for his chance to “upset” the softspoken Lion he’s now chasing.

Here's the problem and where you miss the broader point. Yianni didn't "ground himself." He hit a duck under and got stuffed.

And you're out of your mind if you think that's been officiated consistently. Could probably find 10+ sequences where it wasn't called just in this event.
Doesn't matter whether you consider the half-ass maneuver a duck or not. Bottom line is that Yianni was in the passivity zone when his action brought him from standing to par terre - OOB under attack should result in +1 for NL.
If that's what the whistle sees that's what is called pretty consistently.

It's the same mentality on the fleeing the hold caution - Yianni's actions cause him to go OOB under attack. Doesn't matter that he is just trying to square up - that's not relevant.
This is a pretty good example of why we see so much whining about freestyle calls on folkstyle centric boards. The foundational concepts are quite different.

Doesn't matter whether you consider the half-ass maneuver a duck or not. Bottom line is that Yianni was in the passivity zone when his action brought him from standing to par terre - OOB should result in +1 for NL.

It's the same mentality on the fleeing the hold caution - Yianni's actions cause him to go OOB under attack. Doesn't matter that he is just trying to square up - that's not relevant.
This is a pretty good example of why we see so much whining about freestyle calls on folkstyle centric boards. The foundational concepts are quite different.
you can keep saying this, but it doesn't make it true

Doesn't matter whether you consider the half-ass maneuver a duck or not. Bottom line is that Yianni was in the passivity zone when his action brought him from standing to par terre - OOB under attack should result in +1 for NL.

it-doesnt-matter-what-you-think-the-rock.gif

When is the last time Yianni beat Nick? In the consys last year or the year before Nick beat Zain and Yianni and both handily.
I believe five years ago, at the Bearcat (Binghamton) Open, in (obviously) folk. Yianni controls the match but Nick has some moments. Nick, in his freshman year, was still redshirting at this point.

Reactions: mn78psu83
I wouldn't worry about it, funny thing is that I started to doubt myself and deleted the post to research - but you got the reply in too quickly!

Reactions: mcpat
Has it ever came out about what happened with J’Den? I haven’t listened to FRL so not sure if they talked about it

Has it ever came out about what happened with J’Den? I haven’t listened to FRL so not sure if they talked about it
I heard/read somewhere that the night before he was practicing and either caught his foot on the mat with a heavy, rolled ankle I believe.

• Sad
Reactions: mcpat and zzs006
I guarantee you Cael knows and understands where he stands in relationship to Gable, and his place in history. He has his methods and his ways, and he understands he makes a very good living teaching the skills of a game but, Cael is a very competitive game player.
I don't doubt he understands where he stands. I just don't think that is what drives him. I have always viewed him as searching for excellence and letting the results take care of themselves, but I understand he is human as well.

Always enjoyable watching the humblest of men fell the whiny, I’m-all-that giants in their path. Lee’s arc has been fun to watch, and as quiet as a church mouse. This stoic, stalking wrestler with no reverse gear or visible ego is one of my all-time favorites. In short order, our unassuming mechanic has won 2 NCAA titles, a US Open, and made the US World team. Yawn-ee will watch and wait for his chance to “upset” the softspoken Lion he’s now chasing.
Nicks defense co times to get better. He's going to be a good one. He just keeps getting better

Apparently Beau was the simulated Yianni in the leadup to Final X.

I hope Beau travels with the NLWC to worlds. I anticipate a big jump for him this year.

Who will go as Zain's training partner? SVN? Levi?

Will Taylor take Brooks, or will he and Dake just practice with each other?

Apparently Beau was the simulated Yianni in the leadup to Final X.

I hope Beau travels with the NLWC to worlds. I anticipate a big jump for him this year.

Who will go as Zain's training partner? SVN? Levi?

Will Taylor take Brooks, or will he and Dake just practice with each other?
I’d be shocked if DT took AB with the Olympic trials next year and AB looking like one of his main competitors

Would be really great if Bartlett got to go as Nicks training partner. I see a big jump coming for him as well

How was that not 4? Such a beautiful exchange
What impressed me the most in that exchange was the concrete hips Lee gave Yianni on a picture perfect reshot. 99.5% of people would get taken down there, but Nick stonewalled him which opened up the whizzer to inside trip. Unbelievable chain wrestling! I rewound that sequence from live 3 or 4 times when it happened. Beautiful wrestling!

I’d be shocked if DT took AB with the Olympic trials next year and AB looking like one of his main competitors

Would be really great if Bartlett got to go as Nicks training partner. I see a big jump coming for him as well
You think Brooks is a risk for DT, but Bartlett isnt a risk for Lee?

I think they both go, along with SVN for Zain and Haines for Dake

Also Yianni will surely tag along for Vito, so there is gonna be some great practice room goes over there.

Stupid questions (I’ve got a truck bed full) that I haven’t resolved online. Does the world team #2 automatically go, if not to train, but to fill in due to injury? And is the “true third” slot just a resume builder, or do they go, too, also as possible training partners or further injury insurance?

You think Brooks is a risk for DT, but Bartlett isnt a risk for Lee?

I think they both go, along with SVN for Zain and Haines for Dake

Also Yianni will surely tag along for Vito, so there is gonna be some great practice room goes over there.
For the Olympics we go down to 6 weights so each weight gets deeper and as good as Bartlett has looked especially in his match against Lee I think he is quite a bit further away from making the team than AB is. Also, I’m pretty sure that DT didn’t take Brooks as his partner at the last worlds so I would be surprised if he went but I’m not sure who would go instead. Do Haines and Dake have a relationship? I hope you are right with all of them getting the chance to go though because I think it is a massive opportunity for growth especially for the young guys like SVN and Levi

I don’t know for certain but it looked like Beau was Nick’s guy for Final X and I would think Nick would want to carry that successful relationship to Worlds.

Reactions: STAND with PRIDE
For the Olympics we go down to 6 weights so each weight gets deeper and as good as Bartlett has looked especially in his match against Lee I think he is quite a bit further away from making the team than AB is. Also, I’m pretty sure that DT didn’t take Brooks as his partner at the last worlds so I would be surprised if he went but I’m not sure who would go instead. Do Haines and Dake have a relationship? I hope you are right with all of them getting the chance to go though because I think it is a massive opportunity for growth especially for the young guys like SVN and Levi
Looks like Bo is still pretty tight with the guys. Bo may be going as honorary coach and Im sure he would give DT a decent workout, no?

Reactions: zzs006 and mcpat
Looks like Bo is still pretty tight with the guys. Bo may be going as honorary coach and Im sure he would give DT a decent workout, no?
Thought it was interesting that, in addition to being in Nolf’s corner, he wore a team Nolf shirt.

BTW…. Lots of Marstellar shirts there too. Prob the most common shirt l I saw, actually.

All the match winners were mobbed for selfies and autographs. And one coach. Any guesses as to which coach was signing autographs?

Walked by Vito as I was leaving. He was signing autographs and taking pictures with a group of kids. I always thought he looked tall on TV. He’s not. I’d guess 5’6, maybe 5’7 at the most. Maybe that’s tall for 133?

Uncle Tony was there too.

Last edited:
The shame is Bo didn't wrestle 92 kg. Another Lion on the team and a legitimate medal threat.
I'm with you there. Bo had a lot of competition, but he wormed his way into my heart to become my favorite Nit. I'd love to see him throw those freestyle guys around.

Re: Cael
There will come a time when he has essentially conquered the wrestling world. He's getting there faster than anyone had a right to expect. Sometime he will start looking at PSU as his farm team. He'll keep tabs to be sure they continue to dominate. But the NCAA looks kinda small next to world competition Cael has taken on with NLWC.

That Dake interview should give most of us one more reason; don't count out Alex Facundo just yet my friends.

He arguably had the strongest resume of any of our most recent recruits. One season does not make a career.

Beau's interview also unpacked a lot on this front as well. To hear he was considering hanging it up after his second year. I have often contemplated if the strength of our room isn't a double edged sword. To get taken to the woodshed by the world's best week after week, month after month, and in some cases year after year, can do a real number on the mental side of the game for a young and upcoming talent, leading him to question everything.

If Levi is slightly big for 157 it may make the most sense for him to shirt and Messi go. I am leaning, Alex is an entirely new animal this fall, and if so look out. If his mind is right, going against Dake and Nolf takes a bit of the bite out of that gauntlet which is 165. Alex may prove to be the bad draw. To hear Alex is spending a lot of time with the two legends tells me his head is in the right place.

We are so loaded next year, sitting Alex with an eye on 174 post Carter also makes sense. Heck if noone cares to much about the points record we could probably sit 3 hammers and still win comfortably.

Start printing the shirts now - 10 AAs

Last edited:
Kyle Dake Final X Interview

Listening to that interview, the benefits of bringing Dake to NLWC are quite clear. There may not be an athlete in the country more focused and devoted to maximizing their potential. Pretty much everything he does has a purpose and contributes to his improvement. He also is willing to explore alternatives to make him better. Great example for everyone at NLWC and PSU program to follow.

Saw a Flowrestling video at lunch bemoaning a “depth problem” at 57kg, I guess because Zane R beat Gilman, and Suriano isn’t “progressing,” poor sad Spencer is hurt, and others (maybe those Flo feels are better than ZR) can no longer make weight. To draft off my response there, what’s the issue? The guy who WON the spot is wrestling, not the problematic “depth” members he beat or those who couldn’t go. After listening to ZR’s post-win interview, and accepting all pro-NLWC wrath here, I’m glad and proud he’s going to worlds. Beating Suriano and Gilman in succession proves he’s our best at this moment. Plus, I’m a sucker for humble guys beating odds (see our Lee, not theirs).

Just watched Flo’s round 3 of 79kg FX and caught a priceless moment after Chance’s win. After hugs from coaches, what had to be kids from his Steller Trained youth wrestling club mobbed him at the mat’s edge. I’m serious. With all the bile produced by Hollywood, why isn’t this inspiring rise from troubled, me-first addict to caring, focused, world-level athlete under movie contract?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT