ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling FinalX PBP

I’ve heard this as well. Imagine both those guys teaching mat wrestling together. Okay - practice for you isn’t over until you get out from Coach Kyle’s ride - see you in 2048
That duo would be quite a way to maintain the dynasty, my Lord. It's hard to imagine Cael calling it quits anytime soon. If anything, he is about to enter the best years of his career and he's literally just turning 44 in about a week.

But as many know, one of Cael's favorite way of teaching is just decimating his guys in practice, probably when he feels that ability is slowly going away, he might call it.

Dake & DT will each be head coaches someday. I don't see either being an assistant for the other, this has the makings of a bad mix.

If Cael is given some authority over his succession plan (questionable), we would likely see that successor hired on as an young assistant within the next 5-10 years. I don't think DTs timeline aligns with when Cael would step down. There is a good chance DT retires after this Olympic cycle IMO, and I bet he gets a lead gig within 1-3 years. Granted no coaching slot is protected against an invite to coach at PSU.

To be perfectly honest, there are times when I question DT as an ideal candidate in the Cael system. He has been through the gratitude first model and has retained many of those teachings in his own. However he is certainly far less humble than Cael at times. He can puff up his own chest at times unnecessarily given his long list of accomplishments. A small thing but I thought his statement after being injured and off the world team was ill advised and poor form "Downey, shoot your shot. Moments like this don't get gifted to you often".

I believe Dake is a multi-level thinker and one part of why he is in the NLWC today is to sponge off the system for his future coaching aspirations as much as to train in the best room for his free career.

One thing is certain when Cael and his crew all decide to step down it will be the most coveted yet difficult job in the country. Assuming Cael stays long enough to beat Gable's record, there maybe be a pretty lengthy list of young PSU alum 2, 3, 4xers waiting in the wings. DT, Mark Hall, Zain, Nick, Aaron, ...... future studs. A leading candidate may likely come from who Cael hires as an assistant more realistically within the next 4-5 years.
I ponder this from time to time. I think it starts with accepting that there will never be another Cael. The combination of athletic accomplishments, humility, demeanor, wrestling knowledge, and frankly mystique and aura is simply not out there. When it’s all said and done there will be many 2,3 even 4 time national champs around that want the job. Obviously age will play a factor as Cael is still young for a coach. I don’t think PSU should just look at alumni either. Personally with age not being a factor JB would be my pick but I don’t think the timelines will match up

Reactions: GogglesPaizano
I ponder this from time to time. I think it starts with accepting that there will never be another Cael. The combination of athletic accomplishments, humility, demeanor, wrestling knowledge, and frankly mystique and aura is simply not out there. When it’s all said and done there will be many 2,3 even 4 time national champs around that want the job. Obviously age will play a factor as Cael is still young for a coach. I don’t think PSU should just look at alumni either. Personally with age not being a factor JB would be my pick but I don’t think the timelines will match up
I'm wondering if Reyna is just keeping the seat warm for Burroughs at Penn. It would make a lot of sense, as JB is a South Jersey guy and he's at the Penn RTC now.

Reactions: hlstone
I have to wonder about DT doing the college coaching gig. From what I’ve seen and heard from him, he seems to really enjoy coaching the younger kids and is very successful at it. Financially included.

I might see Nolf as a future candidate. I’d say Bo but I think Bo has a 10 yr MMA career ahead of him. But maybe the two of them.

Or maybe VJ who has NCAA coaching experience.

I just hope we never lose Nolf to another program.

Two guys I hope we keep around the program for many years are Beau and Van Ness. Those two are all positive energy. Love those guys.

Last edited:
I have to wonder about DT doing the college coaching gig. From what I’ve seen and heard from him, he seems to really enjoy coaching the younger kids and is very successful at it. Financially included.

I might see Nolf as a future candidate. I’d say Bo but I think Bo has a 10 yr MMA career ahead of him. But maybe the two of them.

Or maybe VJ who has NCAA coaching experience.

I just hope we never lose Nolf to another program.

Two guys I hope we keep around the program for many years are Beau and Van Ness. Those two are all positive energy. Love those guys.
Obviously there are plenty of variables and timelines and things change, but as of now I’d be pretty surprised if Taylor was not the successor to Cael. From everyone I’ve spoken to it sure seems like there’s an understanding between all parties that at some point that will be the way it happens. Whether Cael becomes the NLWC coach or Olympic team coach or just does his own thing, I can’t see him wanting to do college forever.

He’s aiming for Gable’s record and is only 5 away. At the current speed that could genuinely be broken by the end of the decade.

I don’t see Cael stepping down until he has broken Gables record for National title teams. After that it’s hard to say. Right now it seems he has just entered a new stage of being the best ever at all things related to wrestling 😊
Do you really think that is how Cael is wired? I just don't see it that way. Cael always talks about getting his guys to perform at their beset and let the results play themselves out. I think Cael stops coaching when he feels like he isn't inspiring or reaching the athletes. I just don't see "personal" accomplishments as a coach pushing him forward.

I am sure he has a certain amount of personal pride in the success but I don't think that is the driver.

Just my take.

Do you really think that is how Cael is wired? I just don't see it that way. Cael always talks about getting his guys to perform at their beset and let the results play themselves out. I think Cael stops coaching when he feels like he isn't inspiring or reaching the athletes. I just don't see "personal" accomplishments as a coach pushing him forward.

I am sure he has a certain amount of personal pride in the success but I don't think that is the driver.

Just my take.
I agree with that take on Cael.

Reactions: 07mantle
Things can change obviously but imo DT has made it clear several times that he has no interest in coaching anywhere else than at Penn State; his roots are too deep in the State College community.
Its true that Cael etal can go for a long, long time yet, so who knows, but I think DT might begin by being added to the NLWC staff.
Dake as his top asst ?
Not beyond the realm of possibility in my mind.

Just my take.
I think he’s still got a few scores to settle with Gable and Iowa. Everyone who knows Cael well says how competitive he is and I’m sure their attempts to clown him when he was at a disadvantage (e.g. wet behind the ears coach) still rankle him. I’d bet he’d like nothing better than to ring up 16+ titles.

And if you think you’ve heard squawking and Whataboutery before from Iowa, just wait for the posts starting with “if Gable hadn’t retired early” … “but the Big 10 championships”, etc.

Obviously there are plenty of variables and timelines and things change, but as of now I’d be pretty surprised if Taylor was not the successor to Cael. From everyone I’ve spoken to it sure seems like there’s an understanding between all parties that at some point that will be the way it happens. Whether Cael becomes the NLWC coach or Olympic team coach or just does his own thing, I can’t see him wanting to do college forever.

He’s aiming for Gable’s record and is only 5 away. At the current speed that could genuinely be broken by the end of the decade.
lol. Nothing like speculating on something from the outside and then having someone in the know tell you the opposite is true.

Appreciate the info. That’s part of the reward for frequenting this board.

• Wow
Reactions: hlstone
lol. Nothing like speculating on something from the outside and then having someone in the know tell you the opposite is true.

Appreciate the info. That’s part of the reward for frequenting this board.
Again, if the job doesn’t come open in a timeline that fits what he envisioned, a ton could change. But right now you’ve got a major “coach in waiting” situation. Though we saw how that worked with Will Muschamp at Texas.

Reactions: mcpat
Did I need to use the sarcasm font on my Yianni to NLWC post? 🤣

It's a testament to how friggin good Dake is that he can make Jason Nolf of all people look unimpressive. But he does that to just about everybody in the world, and usually without looking super flashy himself.

I don't know that my heartbreak and frustration at what he did to DT at NCAAs years ago will ever fully heal, but I can't deny or fail to admire his exceptionalism on the mat.
No one, not even DT, will ever make me like Kyle Dake. I respect Dake. I don't even hate Dake. But, man, I'm just salty. I admit it too! And I wish he scored more.

Last edited:

Just my take.
You nailed it.

I have no idea how Penn State has managed to have coaches as singularly great as Joe Paterno (and Rip Engle) and Cael Sanderson on the same campus, but, here we are.

See this awesome 1978 special on Coach Paterno. Our first national title was like a white whale for him. But he wasn't driven exclusively by wins. That's why he didn't retire in 1982, 1994, or after he beat the Bear's record. Coach Sanderson seems to be a quieter person than Coach Paterno, but these men seem very similar. I think anywhere from 1 to 30 national titles would be about the same for Sanderson, it's all just about how he and the team enjoy it and sstruggle for it. Truly incredible Penn State has had such greatness!

Regardless of all his virtues, Cael is still human, tremendously competitive, driven to win and keep winning.
I absolutely believe he takes pride in being considered by many to be that mythological beast The GOAT.
He wouldnt be human otherwise.
I find it impossible to believe that breaking Gable's coaching records is not important to him, and thus being considered the coaching GOAT as well.
Maybe not all-important, but still plenty desirable, and a goal.
Thats not an insult.

Cael rules USA Wrestling but he ain’t leaving HV so USA Wrestling would have to come to him and setup shop here. Don’t think would happen. But I could see the trio coaching USA national teams full time and being great at it. Turn PSU over to Taylor/Dake. Huge win for everyone.

Reactions: WexfordWarrior
Dake & DT will each be head coaches someday. I don't see either being an assistant for the other, this has the makings of a bad mix.

If Cael is given some authority over his succession plan (questionable), we would likely see that successor hired on as an young assistant within the next 5-10 years. I don't think DTs timeline aligns with when Cael would step down. There is a good chance DT retires after this Olympic cycle IMO, and I bet he gets a lead gig within 1-3 years. Granted no coaching slot is protected against an invite to coach at PSU.

To be perfectly honest, there are times when I question DT as an ideal candidate in the Cael system. He has been through the gratitude first model and has retained many of those teachings in his own. However he is certainly far less humble than Cael at times. He can puff up his own chest at times unnecessarily given his long list of accomplishments. A small thing but I thought his statement after being injured and off the world team was ill advised and poor form "Downey, shoot your shot. Moments like this don't get gifted to you often".

I believe Dake is a multi-level thinker and one part of why he is in the NLWC today is to sponge off the system for his future coaching aspirations as much as to train in the best room for his free career.

One thing is certain when Cael and his crew all decide to step down it will be the most coveted yet difficult job in the country. Assuming Cael stays long enough to beat Gable's record, there maybe be a pretty lengthy list of young PSU alum 2, 3, 4xers waiting in the wings. DT, Mark Hall, Zain, Nick, Jason, Aaron, ...... future studs, maybe some like JB who will be a great coach. A leading candidate may likely come from who Cael hires as an assistant more realistically within the next 4-5 years.
There is more money in M2. DT can be the head of that club for as long as he wants.

Let's not forget about Ed Ruth, from what little I know about him he seems very level headed and Taco Bell sucks, btw.

Just my take.
I guarantee you Cael knows and understands where he stands in relationship to Gable, and his place in history. He has his methods and his ways, and he understands he makes a very good living teaching the skills of a game but, Cael is a very competitive game player.

No one, not even DT, will ever make me like Kyle Dake. I respect Dake. I don't even hate Dake. But, man, I'm just salty. I admit it too! And I wish he scored more.
FrailRevolvingHarvestmouse-size_restricted.gif

It sure sounds to me like DT will be ready to retire after 24 Olympics.
Now that Dake and he and are starting some business, Dake might also if he wins gold.
Even if so, will Nolf want to go another 4yrs?
Any word on what that business is going to be? I saw they're now leasing the old Bar Bleu spot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT