ADVERTISEMENT

Best Pizza in State College?

Richie O

Staff
Mar 21, 2016
South Amboy, NJ
www.pennstate.rivals.com
Maybe I'm a bit bias here, but it def ain't Faccia Luna.

F1Air3DXwAoFBS3

• Haha
Reactions: psu1969a
Faccia Luna is great, but it's a more Italian/European style of pizza so if you are looking for a more classic American New York style, it might not be your thing.

Faccia Luna is great, but it's a more Italian/European style of pizza so if you are looking for a more classic American New York style, it might not be your thing.
After reading about Faccia Luna on here, went there when we moved our daughter in for her freshman year in ‘18. Was disappointed and wondered what was wrong with many on the board. Maybe this was the explanation.

Familiar names to me from late 80s are/were gone, so I’ve got nothing.

My favorites are in no particular order.

Faccia Luna
Hofbrau
Hi-Way

Bothers is a chain and like so many other chains are OK but I'm not rushing back.

Actually, my favorite pizza is from Matucci's (Willow Street Cafe) in Mount Carmel PA.

Of these 3, my favorite local is Faccia Luna.

When talking pizza in State College IMO the place has to be in downtown State College. If you have to drive from the HUB than it's near State College, not in State College. When you were a student how often did you drive to a pizza joint? As for pizza in downtown, I like Allen Street Pizza, Snap Custom Pizza, and Hi-Way Pizza. Snap is more of a group thing and not a grab a slice type of place.

Reactions: The Spin Meister

Faccia Luna
Hofbrau
Hi-Way

Bothers is a chain and like so many other chains are OK but I'm not rushing back.

Actually, my favorite pizza is from Matucci's (Willow Street Cafe) in Mount Carmel PA.

If you like Matucci's you should drive to Girardville and visit Centiole's. Call and order before hand or you'll likely be told they are sold out.

Faccia Luna
Hofbrau
Hi-Way

It depends on the Brothers. There is the Original Brothers Pizza that has shops in Northland Center, Stormstown and Snow Shoe. They are local. Years ago they had the shop on College and Pugh (and they are in the process of taking that space over again) and the Nittany Mall. They are different from the other ones you see.

Their pizza is in the ok but not great category as well.

In the late 60s it was Hi-Way, right downtown. If there was an alternative on foot I didn't know about it. I have fond memories of that place and Pop's Mexi Hots
Back in the 60s and early 70s, the Hi-Way on Garner Street may not have had the best, but after midnight it sure tasted good on the walk back to our apartment on College Avenue. The pizza was baked in a sheet pan and cut into squares -- $ 0.15/slice and $0.20/slice with pepperoni. There were two slices of pepperoni/slice. My mouth is watering with nostalgia.

In the late 60s it was Hi-Way, right downtown. If there was an alternative on foot I didn't know about it. I have fond memories of that place and Pop's Mexi Hots
Here's a recipe, enjoy.

Dominos - :)
Didn't Dominos have a contest where they played a snippet of a song and if you were the first one to call in an id the song and artist, you won a free pie?

This was during the '80's. And though never great, I perceived Dominos to be considerably better pizza then than I do now.

Back in the 60s and early 70s, the Hi-Way on Garner Street may not have had the best, but after midnight it sure tasted good on the walk back to our apartment on College Avenue. The pizza was baked in a sheet pan and cut into squares -- $ 0.15/slice and $0.20/slice with pepperoni. There were two slices of pepperoni/slice. My mouth is watering with nostalgia.
I had a friend from my hometown from the same street that worked there. All I usually paid for was the coke

Faccia Luna
Hofbrau
Hi-Way

Any idea if Tower of Pizza in Marion Heights is still open? We called it 'Dukes' back in the 70s when I went there as a kid. Can't count how many times I burned the roof of my mouth on that melted American cheese...

Here's a recipe, enjoy.

Thanks for that. What really stands out is no tomato sauce at all. Recipe calls for 2-1/2 lbs. of meat and 6, count 'em 6 tbs of chili powder and 1 tbs of paprika. That is some hot $hit. I'm going to make 1lb of it to garnish my COSTCO dogs. Can't wait. Thanks again old mate

Reactions: Agoodnap
Didn't Dominos have a contest where they played a snippet of a song and if you were the first one to call in an id the song and artist, you won a free pie?

This was during the '80's. And though never great, I perceived Dominos to be considerably better pizza then than I do now.
I was there in early 80’s and Dominos had some sort of deal if the PSU B-Ball team scored over 80 points i think the deal kicked in and at garbage time they put this Graves kid in and everyone chanted Pizza man because he just fired up 3’s amd would get us to 80 - good times!

Interesting since they admitted their pizza was garbage about 10 years ago and revamped.

For anyone that lives in an area with bad pizza, this frozen one is very very good. Better than anything in state college. https://www.table87.com/

Interesting since they admitted their pizza was garbage about 10 years ago and revamped.

For anyone that lives in an area with bad pizza, this frozen one is very very good. Better than anything in state college. https://www.table87.com/
I have never been a big fan or large consumer of Domino's Pizza. The video that you referenced claimed that the company lost its way when their business was rapidly expanding in the '80's.

That would be consistent with my opinion regarding the quality of their product. They indeed may have made improvements, but it's no longer a product that I would ever plan on consuming. Consequently, I am unaware of these quality improvements.

The pizza places that I frequent are family owned and provide us with excellent quality and service on a consistent basis.

I have never been a big fan or large consumer of Domino's Pizza. The video that you referenced claimed that the company lost its way when their business was rapidly expanding in the '80's.

That would be consistent with my opinion regarding the quality of their product. They indeed may have made improvements, but it's no longer a product that I would ever plan on consuming. Consequently, I am unaware of these quality improvements.

The pizza places that I frequent are family owned and provide us with excellent quality and service on a consistent basis.

I can’t remember having dominos since graduating from high school.

You seemed knowledgeable on their quality problems and their relatively recent apparent improvements.

I thought that it might have been your go to pizza. ;)

F that. It's just an interesting case study. Its also amusing because of their new CEO was essentially throwing the old CEO (Michigan's former AD Dave Brandon) under the bus for selling a shitty product for a decade and a half.

Here's a recipe, enjoy.

I grew up living next to the Carelas family on South Hills Ave in State College. I remember Pappy sitting in his chair outside when I would go over to their house. Jim (Pop) and Charlotte were wonderful people. Their son Tony and I were good friends. I remember we had chicken pox or one of those kids illnesses at the same time and had fun being out of school. Unfortunately, we lost Tony to a motorcycle accident at age 20 I think. Great family.

Reactions: olelion
We knew it as “the cut-pie shop” - ate a lot of late-night pizza made in that place!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT