ADVERTISEMENT

Light off topic fare, the chipmunk logo

Delcolion915

Mar 19, 2022
How do we feel about the chipmunk logo? Personal thoughts? I never liked it. I am not really old enough to remember when they started it(80s maybe?). It's just not fitting for a major college in my opinion. Others have big bold logos. Ohio State has the O, Michigan the block M, Miami has the U, USC has the Trojan logo, Oregon the sleek green O. And we have a tiny little chipmunk in a tiny little oval design, what the heck IS that and why do we keep it? Was it designed by someones nephew? 😂

Hey if you love it good for you but Penn State deserves a lion instead of a chipmunk 😂

How do we feel about the chipmunk logo? Personal thoughts? I never liked it. I am not really old enough to remember when they started it(80s maybe?). It's just not fitting for a major college in my opinion. Others have big bold logos. Ohio State has the O, Michigan the block M, Miami has the U, USC has the Trojan logo, Oregon the sleek green O. And we have a tiny little chipmunk in a tiny little oval design, what the heck IS that and why do we keep it? Was it designed by someones nephew? 😂

Hey if you love it good for you but Penn State deserves a lion instead of a chipmunk 😂
I've always liked it, and believe that it's become an iconic logo.

I've seen it used on some mock ups for an alternative helmet, which looked great. If a blue blood like OSU can wear multiple helmets in a season, I don't see why it would be wrong for PSU do it.

Hey that's cool too. I suppose many people like it, i guess I just prefer something different
Hey, that’s not how it’s done here. If someone disagrees with you then you are supposed to get all butt hurt and throw insults around for two days!😡

Get with the program dude!👹

As for the logo, it’s ok. Unique enough to stand out. Not just a stylized letter.

But now that you brought it up they will design a new one to sell millions in new gear 😹

Hey, that’s not how it’s done here. If someone disagrees with you then you are supposed to get all butt hurt and throw insults around for two days!😡

Get with the program dude!👹

As for the logo, it’s ok. Unique enough to stand out. Not just a stylized letter.

But now that you brought it up they will design a new one to sell millions in new gear 😹
Never loved it, but have gotten used to it. If I remember correctly, we paid a large marketing firm in New York to create after the 82 title. Meh

I never cared for it. I like a simple "PSU' or "Penn State". I avoid anything that has the chipmunk on it but don't feel anything visceral, just don't like it. But I liked Chief Wahoo too so what do I know?

800px-Penn_State_Nittany_Lions_logo.svg.png

4df648f18606adfb22b00dd3dd043481.jpg

Never loved it, but have gotten used to it. If I remember correctly, we paid a large marketing firm in New York to create after the 82 title. Meh
I believe that you're corerct about the date of its introduction in 1983.

I love it ! And it looks nothing like a chipmunk. Any Penn State merchandise I buy has to have the "chipmunk" logo on it, I wouldn't buy anything with that other lion. I would like to see it on the helmets, but understand why that would make some mad.

Never liked it, remind me of these guy:

Something like this would be better:

But we have what we have.

It's THE only logo for PSU.
Compact, simple, recognizable. I think it's one of the best in college sports.

I attended PSU, unfortunately, during the gross 3D logo fad era. It was so bad, you can barely find evidence of it online. Took me almost 10 minutes to find this...🤮🤮

I like it and it’s much better than any of the lion head logos they’ve tried to come up with since.

Anyone can put a block O, A, or M- it’s not very original. Penn and Princeton already have the ‘P’.

Penn State’s logo is instantly recognizable in terms of branding. I’m all for keeping it. They’ve tried some lion logos the past few years that pale in comparison IMO.

So you want to change the mascot from a Mountain lion that was once native to this state to an African Lion.
I think if we referred to the logo as something other than "chipmunk" it would be more accepted.
Please don't put words in my post or think you can predict what I want. I think it should be a real mountain lion, not one that resembles a chipmunk. Furthermore, I didn't feel an exhaustive internet search was necessary to make my point. The MGM lion is sufficient for that, which, by the way, would be better than a chipmunk.

I never cared for it. I like a simple "PSU' or "Penn State". I avoid anything that has the chipmunk on it but don't feel anything visceral, just don't like it. But I liked Chief Wahoo too so what do I know?

I much prefer the “Indignant Lion” over the chipmunk. The Florida Panthers kind of stole it.

Reactions: Obliviax
So you want to change the mascot from a Mountain lion that was once native to this state to an African Lion.
I think if we referred to the logo as something other than "chipmunk" it would be more accepted.
Like in the (19)20s
befbe1f418a2addf006ac2a12aa85b04.png

default.jpg

default.jpg

default.jpg

or we can go back to the Pozniak lion of the 60s:
4f15480cab080c1e14f60cdcf87b13b7.jpg

Reactions: Gitzit

Hey if you love it good for you but Penn State deserves a lion instead of a chipmunk

Admit it, you got that your freshman year!😹
I actually bought a white hoodie with the fancy/scripted Penn State on the front and the Pozniak Lion on the back during the Fall of 83 which was my freshman year. It was on deep discount as the chipmunk was the rage.

I still like that older combo over any of the 90s/2000s lion designs. Bought a yard flag with the 20s lion for something different.

Chipmunk has stood the test of time. I'm fine with it as our primary.

I like both of these logos. The above looks nothing like a chipmunk.

Reactions: bison13 and Gitzit
If you put the logo of each Big Ten team up and ask people from outside of the region to identify them, Penn states will easily be one of the first ones picked.

We’ve done something similar to that in high schools and even here in Maryland there are kids that can’t pick out Maryland’s M compared to Michigan or Minnesota.

Agree that it looks nothing like a chipmunk and is one of the better logos in the country.

This article provides some good background on the logo developed in the early 1980's (I refuse to call it a chipmunk logo). There was an article in the NY Times that I recall reading when the logo was developed. It was, by all accounts, a huge success and is one of the best logos in collegiate sports.

And of course the coaching staff breaks out hoodies with a new font...half Batman/ half Munsters.

I'd go old script over this new block but I'm not the buyer demo they care about anymore. Most of my "new" PSU stuff comes from last years leftovers at TJ Maxx or Gabe's

Reactions: Kasparaitis
And of course the coaching staff breaks out hoodies with a new font...half Batman/ half Munsters.

I'd go old script over this new block but I'm not the buyer demo they care about anymore. Most of my "new" PSU stuff comes from last years leftovers at TJ Maxx or Gabe's
When you buy something at TJ Maxx does the original seller still get royalties? The only way I’d buy anything from Nike is if they didn’t get paid.

The chipmunk logo? What the heck??? That is the most ridiculous description of our Nittany Lion I have ever heard in my life! Looks utterly nothing like a chipmunk. Talk about coming from left field. It looks like a "stately Nittany Lion" just as the song says. I love the Nittany Lion logo and would never demean it by calling it a chipmunk. Look at schools like Meatchicken and Wisconsin with their dirty little rodent mascots.

The chipmunk logo? What the heck??? That is the most ridiculous description of our Nittany Lion I have ever heard in my life! Looks utterly nothing like a chipmunk. Talk about coming from left field. It looks like a "stately Nittany Lion" just as the song says. I love the Nittany Lion logo and would never demean it by calling it a chipmunk. Look at schools like Meatchicken and Wisconsin with their dirty little rodent mascots.
It’s a chipmunk. We have them up here on the mountain. The profile is unmistakable.

• Haha
Reactions: The Spin Meister
Penn State has a lion logo that looks like a chipmunk, Pitt had panther logos that looked like dinosaurs and seals… what’s wrong with PA’s college football logos? :oops:

Reactions: wcg207
Penn State has a lion logo that looks like a chipmunk, Pitt had panther logos that looked like dinosaurs and seals… what’s wrong with PA’s college football logos? :oops:
Again, It looks nothing like a Chipmunk. It's eye to nose is slightly too long but it's a logo, not meant to be a 100 percent anatomical depiction of a Mountain Lion. I love it! And after looking at Pitt's logo's through the years I like it even better lol.

The need to go back to this:
State.jpg.06b073f2a3e4fa6a2a60b7ce7b174373.jpg
I think it so much better than:
penn_state_nittany_lions_2005-pres_w.png

If you are that obsessed with block letters PSU does have this logo:
Keystone.png

Reactions: stf110
The "Chipmunk" is my preferred logo hands down.
That abomination they tried to make happen in the mid to late 90s thru early 2000s can be fired right off into the sun as far as I am concerned.

The need to go back to this:
State.jpg.06b073f2a3e4fa6a2a60b7ce7b174373.jpg
I think it so much better than:
penn_state_nittany_lions_2005-pres_w.png

If you are that obsessed with block letters PSU does have this logo:
Keystone.png

The 80s word-mark was so much better than "non descript block letters that dozens of other colleges use"

The chipmunk works. Unfortunately it is paired with one of the ugliest mascots in CFB. Looks like sasquatch with a blue and white scarf.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT