ADVERTISEMENT

Allar projected to go 3rd overall

LandoComando

Nov 29, 2021
Way too early for mocks but I'm still lost as why some people here don't comprehend Allar, on paper, is going to be an early pick next year. if he has a great year he jumps Sanders and Beck. If not, he's still going Day 2.

NFL Team Logo for CardinalsArizona Cardinals: Drew Allar, QB, Penn State
Image for PSU

Arizona was always expected to pass on a quarterback in the early rounds of the 2024 NFL Draft, but if Kyler Murray continues to suffer injuries, the Cardinals may not have a choice, especially if they have the No. 3 pick in the 2025 NFL Draft.

Drew Allar has a huge arm and a large frame, and he knows how to apply touch and throwing angles.

• Haha
Reactions: Vic Vaselino
Way too early for mocks but I'm still lost as why some people here don't comprehend Allar, on paper, is going to be an early pick next year. if he has a great year he jumps Sanders and Beck. If not, he's still going Day 2.

Image for PSU

Arizona was always expected to pass on a quarterback in the early rounds of the 2024 NFL Draft, but if Kyler Murray continues to suffer injuries, the Cardinals may not have a choice, especially if they have the No. 3 pick in the 2025 NFL Draft.

Drew Allar has a huge arm and a large frame, and he knows how to apply touch and throwing angles.

Hack went in the second round too.

Worked out great for the Jets.

The reality is, QBs are a crapshoot. You have to be in the right system, with the right support to even have a chance. Some pop, some don't. But the smartest thing you can do is draft a stud (or someone you think will be one) and SIT HIM. Let him get accustomed to the game, and the lifestyle, at the NFL level. Learn the playbook front and back, up and down. Learn the speed of the game. And THEN give him his shot. It works. Much more often than taking a neophyte QB and throwing him into the pool and yelling "swim!"

The reality is, QBs are a crapshoot. You have to be in the right system, with the right support to even have a chance. Some pop, some don't. But the smartest thing you can do is draft a stud (or someone you think will be one) and SIT HIM. Let him get accustomed to the game, and the lifestyle, at the NFL level. Learn the playbook front and back, up and down. Learn the speed of the game. And THEN give him his shot. It works. Much more often than taking a neophyte QB and throwing him into the pool and yelling "swim!"
Correct. Rodgers and Mahomes are great examples. Like this year, only Caleb should start and that's even questionable. JJ Maye Daniels Nix and Penix aren't ready.

Hack went in the second round too.

Worked out great for the Jets.
I haven’t seen much of either one play but someone tell me the difference between Bo Nix and Spencer Rattler. Seem pretty similar considering the huge difference in draft selection. They both even have Soap Opera names.

If I didn't have to, I wouldn't start hum. However, the way they have assembled the talent, the window for winning might be limited to this year and maybe the next. Hence, they might have to.
Agreed which is why I think he almost has to. Unless I'm getting Andrew Luck I'm not starting a QB week 1.

Reactions: lazydave841
I haven’t seen much of either one play but someone tell me the difference between Bo Nix and Spencer Rattler. Seem pretty similar considering the huge difference in draft selection. They both even have Soap Opera names.

Myself personally, I think Rattler is the better pro prospect simply because he's done more with less at South Carolina than Nix, who had great stats, but was surrounded by a lot of weapons in a weaker conference. Payton sees Brees V2.0 in Nix; I do not.

If either has to start at any point this season, I put their success rate being less than 10% likely.

Every QB in this class has a ton of flaws. Maybe not Pickett's draft class flaws, but there is no Andrew Luck or Peyton Manning out there. Additionally, if a QB has Peyton's rookie year INTs today, they get moved on from much quicker (see Sam Howell).

Reactions: Fletchster1
Myself personally, I think Rattler is the better pro prospect simply because he's done more with less at South Carolina than Nix, who had great stats, but was surrounded by a lot of weapons in a weaker conference. Payton sees Brees V2.0 in Nix; I do not.

If either has to start at any point this season, I put their success rate being less than 10% likely.

Every QB in this class has a ton of flaws. Maybe not Pickett's draft class flaws, but there is no Andrew Luck or Peyton Manning out there. Additionally, if a QB has Peyton's rookie year INTs today, they get moved on from much quicker (see Sam Howell).
The draft ratings between Nix and Rattler were significant and Rattlers combine was poor. While I have no idea who will be better is clearly obvious the difference in draft selection.

Reactions: lazydave841
The draft ratings between Nix and Rattler were significant and Rattlers combine was poor. While I have no idea who will be better is clearly obvious the difference in draft selection.

I understand that completely. The draft is more about measurements and speed/agility/drills for the first 2, maybe 3 rounds. Nix looks better in mesh shorts. 100% agree.

I'm just hard pressed to believe Nix wins 11 games at South Carolina (he never did at Aubrey with more talent, disputably) while the I think Rattler could have at Oregon.

That is all. Denver drafting Nix at #12 is a 30-some odd overreach. McCarthy at 10 as well. Penix also at 8. I don't like May at 3. Trade back if anybody would, but you can only do what you think you need or others offer.

Not sure of the purpose of this thread. Mock drafts are ridiculous and you don't accomplish anything by starting a "conversation" about it.

Not sure of the purpose of this thread. Mock drafts are ridiculous and you don't accomplish anything by starting a "conversation" about it.
People complain the site is dead
People complain about using a mock draft, in which I said at the start "way too early" to start an actual football discussion.
If you don't like it then go....you can finish the rest.

Image for PSU

Saw a different mock draft that did not list Allar in their first round picks but had Carter as #4 overall. These mock drafts mean nothing. They had King as a 1st rounder as well a year ago and he barely got drafted.

Reactions: Jerry
Saw a different mock draft that did not list Allar in their first round picks but had Carter as #4 overall. These mock drafts mean nothing. They had King as a 1st rounder as well a year ago and he barely got drafted.
And things change--we all know that. King played like garbage for an entire season.
Allar is a prototypical NFL QB in terms of body and arm. It's up to him to develop but he's in the conversation no matter how many people here want to pretend someone else should be playing

Yeah, well obviously it depends on who is doing the ratings. If they’re the same people who rated Pickett, Darnold, Rosen, Mac Jones and the rest of these stiffs while passing on Tom Brady, I’m not impressed. The problem with some of these raters is you don’t play combine. You play football.

Image for PSU

So was Hackenberg......

Image for PSU

"If he has a great year."

Big if there.

Drew's performance in 2023 is not 1st-round caliber, but he has the tools and talent to produce a breakthrough in 2024, which we all hope will happen.

However, no matter what happens on the field this year, in a sport where QBs rule the roost, an NFL team will take a chance on Drew.

There are some college QBs who end up panning out in the league...if only for a few years. And there are some college QBs who end up busts. Even the "experts" often can't correctly predict which will be which.

A lot of pro teams are willing to take a chance, given the potential rewards of striking gold. I mean, just look at this year's 1st round to get the idea.

And, NEWSFLASH. He didn't....

And he didn't have the talent that the recruiting services believed he had. Wasn't the 3rd overall pick and was still picked considerably higher than his talent warranted. And so far the jury is still out on Allar.

Last edited:

Image for PSU

I don't care about "on paper".

And, NEWSFLASH. He didn't....

And he didn't have the talent that the recruiting services believed he had. Wasn't the 3rd overall pick and was still picked considerably higher than his talent warranted. And so far the jury is still out on Allar.
Hack still went in the second round, right?

For QBs it’s all between the ears… everyone can make the throws but few can completely absorb an NFL playbook and be able to read defenses to call audibles.

Yeah, well obviously it depends on who is doing the ratings. If they’re the same people who rated Pickett, Darnold, Rosen, Mac Jones and the rest of these stiffs while passing on Tom Brady, I’m not impressed. The problem with some of these raters is you don’t play combine. You play football.
Perhaps, but then why do they have the combine? Is it because the NFL is run by idiots?

The people who run the NFL know that most QBs don't have much success in the NFL. And yet 6 of the first 12 picks this year were QB's. The position is so important that they believe it's worth the risk.
Some teams Jets, Browns make the same mistakes over and over and never have much success. The combine is supposed to be a tool not the deciding factor of whether a player will be successful. Quarterbacks for example need leadership ability, on field mental acuity and work ethic in addition to physical skills. The combine pretty much only measures physical skills.

I can guarantee you that all 6 quarterbacks taken in the first half of the first round will not have what it takes to win in the NFL. They’ll be lucky to get one or two. The Steelers could have had a pro bowl player at another position instead of reaching for Pickett. Those kinds of mistakes make it that much harder to win.

Perhaps, but then why do they have the combine? Is it because the NFL is run by idiots?
It's an additional data point (or points, as the case may be).

As to your latter question ... not a lot of folks are passing up careers as surgeons or astrophysicists to take an entry level job in football management, in the hopes they'll eventually work their way up to a decision-making position. I know a head of scouting who was a failed substitute teacher before falling back on scouting, and a GM who actually comes from a decent, average educational background (amongst actual smart people), and a marginally smart family, who is considered a stud in the football GM'ing world. I also know a lot of local high school, college and pro coaching/administrative personnel who have trouble spelling their own name. There's a reason folks with basic aptitudes in statistical modeling and logical thinking are considered "analytics nerds."

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT