ADVERTISEMENT

Zech MacPherson Texas Tech CB

blion72

Jan 1, 2010
was this the guy who left PSU a couple years ago? drafted in 4th round.

Yes. Playing time. Think the staff made a mistake not getting him on the field more often.
Based on the number of defensive backs we’ve recently had drafted in early rounds I don’t see how anyone could disagree with your post. However I’m positive someone will.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Based on the number of defensive backs we’ve recently had drafted in early rounds I don’t see how anyone could disagree with your post. However I’m positive someone will.

That and I think putting Lamont Wade out there was a complete waste of time. I know they play different positions, but I would have rather we kept Zech and played him at nickel instead of allwoing Wade out there on passing downs to get burned again and again. And that is before you take into account Wade’s influence on team chemistry.

That and I think putting Lamont Wade out there was a complete waste of time. I know they play different positions, but I would have rather we kept Zech and played him at nickel instead of allwoing Wade out there on passing downs to get burned again and again. And that is before you take into account Wade’s influence on team chemistry.

Wade was active on social media during his time at Penn State, and I inferred from your post that he had a negative influence on team chemistry. If that is the case, what evidence do we have?

He was behind Castro-Fields and Reid on the depth chart when he decided to transfer somewhere he could get a starting opportunity. To his credit, he made the most of it...but that doesn’t mean it was a mistake by the coaching staff to play either TCF or Reid ahead of him.

He was behind Castro-Fields and Reid on the depth chart when he decided to transfer somewhere he could get a starting opportunity. To his credit, he made the most of it...but that doesn’t mean it was a mistake by the coaching staff to play either TCF or Reid ahead of him.

Agreed.

If we go back to the threads a few years back when he transferred, I'd imagine we'd find a lot of "meh, there's just not much PT for him here" posts.

It happens.

Sometimes a change in scenery and a fresh start make a big difference in a player. For example, look at all the successful transfer portal guys we have had late‐------er.....nevermind.

Let's be more specific......his position coach was Terry Smith who is somehow still on staff in the same capacity🤷‍♂️
Lots of factors, what does each team like to do defensively, what exactly is the coach at each School using as their primary evaluation tool for playing time on game days, what's the depth chart look like, are the coaches more likely to reward seniority, and maybe sometimes the guy is just a gamer.

Of course it doesn’t. But it does not mean the experienced coaches here don’t know better.

Yes. Playing time. Think the staff made a mistake not getting him on the field more often.
As good as our staff is at identifying potential talent, they are slow in distributing PT. Zech is a prime example.....often showed flashes of ability...but CJF plays starters to long in games with the contest no longer in doubt.....best coach we had at rotating and developing was Coach Spence.

Reactions: TheGLOV
As good as our staff is at identifying potential talent, they are slow in distributing PT. Zech is a prime example.....often showed flashes of ability...but CJF plays starters to long in games with the contest no longer in doubt.....best coach we had at rotating and developing was Coach Spence.
Did not Coach Spence coach under CJF? Can’t blame him and applaud his assistants on same subject - can you?

And it’s not like he went to a defensive juggernaut....it’s the Big 12.

I thought that as well but didnt want to rain on his parade. Several scouting reports said he is not a great or hard hitting tackler and struggles against tall receivers. They also said he was blocked om the depth chart at PSU. He put up big numbers in Texas thats for sure and he had a fumble recovery and blocked punt for TDs last season. Was a fantastic 3 sport athlete in MD. Hope he has a great career with the Eagles.

Reactions: ChandlerPearce
Do you actually watch the games? Franklin substitutes early and often, especially on defense. Can’t think of how many times I am angry that a backup gets beat for a TD early in the game rather than playing the starters and substituting after getting a comfortable lead.

Do you actually watch the games? Franklin substitutes early and often, especially on defense. Can’t think of how many times I am angry that a backup gets beat for a TD early in the game rather than playing the starters and substituting after getting a comfortable lead.
Why be confused by the facts? LOL

Why be confused by the facts? LOL
What facts? The rote Franklin sucks because a kid that transferred got drafted in the 4th round? As for my comment, go watch the game films and get back to me while I LMAO in the meantime.

What facts? The rote Franklin sucks because a kid that transferred got drafted in the 4th round? As for my comment, go watch the game films and get back to me while I LMAO in the meantime.
Actually, my response was in support of your statement. Other than QB, Franklin and staff utilize a large number of players.

Issue with most of these kids while being recruited is that they choose the Best "Perceived/Ranked" school who offers them VS. going to the best fit i.e. "Texas Tech" where they would play and make an impact sooner.

ogN48ju.jpg

I seem to recall JF being surprised how well Zech played in the 2018 BW game, but it didn’t translate into much more playing time.

Was Zech injured in a car accident at some point during his psu career?

Was Zech injured in a car accident at some point during his psu career?

No, I read up on his PSU experience and there was no mention of injuries or bad feelings. He said all the right things after he left. He was the # 5 back and Ellis, Wilson, and maybe even one other DB were coming, and he graduated and moved on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT