ADVERTISEMENT

Your best score for 9 and/or 18 holes of golf and a bonus question.

Ahhh the back nine at fairview... are you a lefty or hook the ball? The back nine is dreadful for Slicers if I remember correctly.

Just go ahead a mark me down for a double with the one dogleg through the woods (12 maybe?). I'll see you on the other side of the woods. Lol. I did birdie that hole once.. I bladed a 3 iron through the trees and got lucky it didn't hit one.

I played there a month ago for the first time in 7-8 years. Still just how I remember it. That 12th hole is no joke...can't hit driver or it'll go through the fairway and you'll have trees blocking you. Go right, and it just makes the hole longer. Go left and you're playing pinball and hide-and-seek. I hooked a 3-wood and it somehow missed everything on the left and stopped just sort of getting all the way through. Had to punch thru to the green and ended up getting up and down for par. That was my first round of the year this year and put an 86 on the board with leaving 4 or 5 out there. My worst hole there is the 8th -- trees left and right and I always put it down to the right and hope I can find it.

Fun topic. Years ago I got fairly decent hovering around 10-15 handi.

I met up with a bunch of guys on a late Fri after work at Crooked Tree in Mason Ohio (par 72 from tips).

We had a deal where you got 18 and a beer to start and at turn. I only had that one at start. I shot a 37 on front 9. I was tracking to destroy my best score ever anywhere.

So what did I do? Was so excited about my play and having fun with the boyz that I agreed to get a 12 with my cart mate (plus our free beer at turn). I shot a 54 on the back and didn't even break 90!

We bring that up all the time. I have not sniffed par since. Of course I only get out a handful of times/year now.
I used to live in Mason! Good courses out that way (Weatherwax, Blue Ash, The Vineyard, etc...)

I was 1 over after 7 holes at Pebble (the easy holes). Then imploded. Shot an 85. I played Spyglass many times years ago, when prices were reasonable. Lowest score was an 81 there, with 37 on the back side. Played Cypress once(long story how I got on). Very, very, very windy day. Shot 93. Last 4 holes are beautiful.

So true about Pebble. Starting out it's "what's the big deal?", then bam! I thought Spyglass was a more difficult track. It was wet, no roll and tight if I remember correctly. Turned down an offer to play Cypress. Met some heirs to the Bethlem Steel fortune at the bar at Pebble. We were guests of a vendor and we didn't have the heart to stiff them, so we played spyglass instead.

So true about Pebble. Starting out it's "what's the big deal?", then bam! I thought Spyglass was a more difficult track. It was wet, no roll and tight if I remember correctly. Turned down an offer to play Cypress. Met some heirs to the Bethlem Steel fortune at the bar at Pebble. We were guests of a vendor and we didn't have the heart to stiff them, so we played spyglass instead.
You turned down a once in a life time offer to play Cypress....YIKES. Spyglass is harder. These days Pebble is short. However, it can be a bear when the winds pick up. Look back at the last 2 US Opens played there. Both had at least one day of BIG winds and it played tough.

You turned down a once in a life time offer to play Cypress....YIKES. Spyglass is harder. These days Pebble is short. However, it can be a bear when the winds pick up. Look back at the last 2 US Opens played there. Both had at least one day of BIG winds and it played tough.

What I remember most about playing Pebble is the size of the greens. You don't appreciate how small they are on TV. I had a lot of chips for up and down on that course. What a great place.

What I remember most about playing Pebble is the size of the greens. You don't appreciate how small they are on TV. I had a lot of chips for up and down on that course. What a great place.
I played Pebble twice. The first time I was intimidated. By the place and the size of the greens. I think I only hit one green in regulation, in that first round. I played the second round a week later. Was more relaxed and played much better. BTW....they have built a new tee box right next to the ocean on the par 4 10th hole. They plan to use it at least one day in next year's US Open. It will be a drivable par 4.

Reactions: kevin310
I have yet to break twice my age for 18 and that isn't good for someone that officially just reached senior citizen status. Could never break the baseball swing that leads to a nasty slice. I play 500 yard dogleg lefts at about 900 yards by the time I am finished. :)

I played Pebble twice. The first time I was intimidated. By the place and the size of the greens. I think I only hit one green in regulation, in that first round. I played the second round a week later. Was more relaxed and played much better. BTW....they have built a new tee box right next to the ocean on the par 4 10th hole. They plan to use it at least one day in next year's US Open. It will be a drivable par 4.

I only got to play Pebble once. The staff was very welcoming and did everything they could to make us feel comfortable. But you are correct—it is an intimidating place the first time you play there.

I was lucky enough to get a tap in birdie on #8. But the rest of my round was not very good. I hope to get out there to play again sometime.

Reactions: john4psu
42 at Green Valley, a little 9 hole just north of Pittsburgh. About as easy a course as you'd find. No longer exists, just like my golf game.

Reactions: john4psu
I shot 70 on a par 72 course getting an ace on the finishing hole. The card was a 36&34 so it was also my best 9 hole round. I was 67 at the time. (ttwo years ago)

Also shot a 69 years ago on a more difficult par 70 track southwest of Denver called Arrowhead

Enjoyed the heck out of playing a round at Arrowhead about 30 years ago. Between the altitude and very difficult depth perception issues (the red sandstone slabs protruding from the ground just screwed with my mind), I had a real problem judging distances. But the spectacular view more than compensated for my troubles. It was a very memorable round.

About 25 years ago, I was in San Jose for a couple of weeks on business, so I journeyed down to Monterey for the weekend. I took a chance and wandered over to Spyglass and managed to get paired up with a couple of members late Saturday afternoon. We breezed through the front nine, then got backed up on ten. The members convinced me that the front nine was much better than the back and that we'd be better off replaying the front than trying to finish the round on the back. So I've played 18 holes there, just not the whole course.

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
Enjoyed the heck out of playing a round at Arrowhead about 30 years ago. Between the altitude and very difficult depth perception issues (the red sandstone slabs protruding from the ground just screwed with my mind), I had a real problem judging distances. But the spectacular view more than compensated for my troubles. It was a very memorable round.

Wow! Thanks for that video. Back in the eighties I had a playing membership there for $1000/yr that covered unlimited golf with cart plus the range. The course was then purchased by U.S. Golf. They had a dificult time buying it because the residents around the course initially witheld the water rights.

The only time I've ever seen a mountain lion was on the 11th green there. That sighting is burned into my memory because of how sleek and graceful it seemed.i really loved playing there and I knew the course well.

Rarely play (maybe 5-7 rounds a year), but go to the range every 1-2 weeks except for the summer when it’s too freaking hot in Austin.

A few years ago I shot an 89 at Kilmarlic on the mainland west of the Outer Banks. Was on 15 when it started to rain hard. My brothers, who were always better because they played more, but who I started to compete better with once I started going to the range regularly, went in. I stayed because I had never played better. Finished the last 3 holes par, par, bogey to break 90. They were on the new clubhouse porch drinking beer cheering me on as I hit onto the green and told them what was up. That was a few years ago when I actually played closer to 6/7 rounds. Now I play about 4 a year. Once my boys are out of the house in about 8 years, I’ll finally be able to even out the course-range ratio a bit more.

I’m 50 now. Didn’t start to play until I was 32. Best thing I did was to take a series of lessons when I first started (at Ford’s Colony in Williamsburg). Gave me good habits

My best rounds occurred when I was 14, nearly 5 decades ago, and only after I had been playing a couple of years. I was self taught by using dad's clubs and then what I could buy with my own money from summer jobs. I learned by hitting whiffle balls and closely reading the fundamentals provided in golf magazine. I made adjustments by watching how the spin changed on the whiffle ball, which was typically exaggerated. I used balls without the holes. Parental support, or support of any kind, was minimal -- simply inadequate within my blue collar family. I liken this to the reason I peaked at 14.

So back then I had a 66 (-4) on an easy course that was mostly driver and wedge/short iron into small greens, but very hilly. One nine was 31. There were other scores that were close to this there. It's now a housing development. On a typical longer, well manicured course (the original Montour Heights CC near the Greater Pittsburgh Airport) I had a 69 (-2). Since then numerous rounds in the 70s but could not break par during my professional life as an engineer. Essentially gave up golf to focus on getting through Engineering when I reached college and the PSU main campus as a freshman.

Now that I'm retired I feel that the fundamentals are still there to break par again, but I'm dealing with numerous pain issues. The meds so far have made it difficult to get the focus and coordination of a young body back. I'm still hoping. Doctor made some adjustments just yesterday. I play with scratch golfers (course record holders and club champions) who like to have money on the table. So I feel the charge of competition again, which I was hoping for during retirement. I'm optimistic since I know so much more than I did as a young teen and can play, if not hurting, every day.

I give back by being involved in a local organization that is similar to The First Tee. Some are as young as 8 years old, a real challenge, especially when you're trying to work with several beginners at the same time and can spare only a few minutes with each kid. [I'm giving thought to offering these kids one-on-one instruction outside of our junior golf program, but as a Penn Stater, I know to require the presence of a parent/guardian at all times, and to limit contact to the golf course only.] These kids do have the benefit of internet videos produced by touring and teaching professionals, so if committed, intelligent, and coordinated, their improvement should rival what I experience at that age. That happened for my nephew, and though I wasn't the perfect instructor (for a left-hander), he went on to achieve far more in golf than I ever did with Junior PGA and college competition.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT