ADVERTISEMENT

Your best score for 9 and/or 18 holes of golf and a bonus question.

john4psu

Sep 7, 2003
I loved watching the pros having to make fairly long par putts instead of gimme birdies as they often do on tour, but also felt bad seeing putts roll past the hole and keep going which leads me to ask: What was your best score for a round of golf and/or for nine holes?

For me – Conley’s in Butler 87 +16

For 9 holes - Seven Springs G.C. in Elizabeth, PA. I once shot a 41 +5 on the front nine.

I haven't touched the clubs for over two years and watching the U.S. Open, I may pick up the sticks again.

BONUS QUESTION: Have you ever broken par on a miniature golf course? I think I may have in Myrtle Beach but I’m not certain about that. My son was at par after 14 holes on Sunday and fell apart at the end and I shot -1 for the back nine to catch him at the end. I was hoping he'd break par.

I loved watching the pros having to make fairly long par putts instead of gimme birdies as they often do on tour, but also felt bad seeing putts roll past the hole and keep going which leads me to ask: What was your best score for a round of golf and/or for nine holes?

For 9 holes - Seven Springs G.C. in Elizabeth, PA. I once shot a 41 +5 on the front nine.

I haven't touched the clubs for over two years and watching the U.S. Open, I may pick up the sticks again.

BONUS QUESTION: Have you ever broken par on a miniature golf course? I think I may have in Myrtle Beach but I’m not certain about that. My son was at par after 14 holes on Sunday and fell apart at the end and I shot -1 for the back nine to catch him at the end. I was hoping he'd break par.
Great questions...

• I hit 40 four times, cannot seem to break it.
  • I had an 84 once, on a good course. amazing how much easier golf is on a good course.
  • No on miniature golf. Everytime I played, it was with a GF or kids....and making good golf wasn't my primary motivation.
Golf takes too much time and I haven't played much in the last five years. I did play 18 on Saturday and my putting was awesome. My driver was good. My short irons were just horrible.....but I had fun with my two sons on Father's Day weekend.

Reactions: john4psu
I've shot par over 9 holes but never par or better on 18. Fluctuate between 7-12 handicap most years. I can score well on long open tracks because of my length but tight courses can kill me.

Great questions...

• I hit 40 four times, cannot seem to break it.
  • I had an 84 once, on a good course. amazing how much easier golf is on a good course.
  • No on miniature golf. Everytime I played, it was with a GF or kids....and making good golf wasn't my primary motivation.
Golf takes too much time and I haven't played much in the last five years. I did play 18 on Saturday and my putting was awesome. My driver was good. My short irons were just horrible.....but I had fun with my two sons on Father's Day weekend.

I can relate. I can never get all the facets of the game going well at the same time. If I drove well, hit my irons well, I'd putt lousy. If I drove poorly, hit my irons so-so, I'd putt great. Some days good off the tee, lousy short game or vice-versa.

I can relate. I can never get all the facets of the game going well at the same time. If I drove well, hit my irons well, I'd putt lousy. If I drove poorly, hit my irons so-so, I'd putt great. Some days good off the tee, lousy short game or vice-versa.
exactly! at my best, I played once a week. A friend told my you have to do better than that to be more than a bogey golfer. I think that is where I was, 18 over par was my goal. However, only later in life, did I finally discover the need to open my hips and whip the ball. I drive it much better, since making that change, as I used to have closer to a baseball swing. Balance is much better too....problem is, my family and career dictated that I play several times a summer, at best. Saturday was my first golf of the year and its Father's Day!

It's been a while, but if I remember correctly

9 holes - 43 but cannot remember where
18 holes - 84, at Tullymoore GC in Stanwood, MI

On another note, since I am thinking of it:

Longest drive (sea level) - 341 yards.
Longest drive (altitude in New Mexico) - 381 yards.

exactly! at my best, I played once a week. A friend told my you have to do better than that to be more than a bogey golfer. I think that is where I was, 18 over par was my goal. However, only later in life, did I finally discover the need to open my hips and whip the ball. I drive it much better, since making that change, as I used to have closer to a baseball swing. Balance is much better too....problem is, my family and career dictated that I play several times a summer, at best. Saturday was my first golf of the year and its Father's Day!

My goal used to be 90 (bogey golf), but didn't break it too often.

Almost all my better scores were when I was young before I had neurological damage to the right side of my body. For 18 - old Cedarbrook course when it was only 18 holes - 74 - had a 35 on the front that day which was 1 under. Had 34 on South Park nine which was even par at the time; and a 34 on back nine of South Hills CC which was 1 under. Since my neurological damage about 20 years ago - lowest on 18 was 83; and on nine 38.

Reactions: Obliviax
Almost all my better scores were when I was young before I had neurological damage to the right side of my body. For 18 - old Cedarbrook course when it was only 18 holes - 74 - had a 35 on the front that day which was 1 under. Had 34 on South Park nine which was even par at the time; and a 34 on back nine of South Hills CC which was 1 under. Since my neurological damage about 20 years ago - lowest on 18 was 83; and on nine 38.

That's impressive.

Reactions: JoeFi and Kamovitch
38 and 83 are still darn nice scores!

Best round of my life was a par 72, three years ago, at age 64, at Fairways. A course in Salinas Ca. Years and years ago I was standing on the 18th tee at Pacific Grove Public, even par. The 18th hole is a LONG par three dead into the strong Pacific winds. I hit a driver a good block out of bounds. Talk about folding like a cheap lawn chair. Ended up with a quad on that hole. Those were the days. Doubt I'll be shooting par any more these days.

The Modified Obliviax Scoring System.
my sons and I enjoy playing....their favorite story...

Was paying to play at a local course toward the end of the season and they had these new drivers named "Wilson Fat Boy". The add said you could play with one and if you liked it, buy it. If not leave it. So I asked the kid behind the counter "what is the deal with these?" He said "Oh, you mean this Fat Boy?" I said, "Don't call me fat boy" and the kid freaked out that I was offended. My two sons still laugh at that.

s-l400.jpg

77 at Williams CC in Weirton, WV 6 or 7 years ago. A far better round than any of the other rounds that I got into the 70's as about the only time I get into the 70's (once/year?) is on an easy public course.

Had 78 early this year at Indian Run in Avela, PA.

I'm usually in the 80's. But slide into the 90's on occasion and also into the 70's when the stars align.....

If you looked in my clothes closet you would know where I played well, other than the "got to have one" golf shirts from when I played at Oakmont, Laurel Valley,... When I play really well, I buy a shirt......... White with mint green and black stripes for the Williams CC shirt......

Last edited:

I started playing 7 years ago when I retired from Lehigh University.
I have shot 39s at Wedgewood in Limeport and at Shepard hills in Wescosville.
Last week I shot 41 at Allentown Municipal which is a fairly long and difficult course.
I am much better at the 19th hole.

33/70. With plenty of other scores much, much higher. I suck at mini golf.

Last edited:
Love the game but it does not love me.Played in Avalon last week had a couple good holes.Drives were ok and putting was good but irons deserted me.Thats my game cannot put it all together.Low eighties at a short course in manheim.

I am guessing at this but think my best 9 was 38 or 39 and best 18 was 78-80, Very rare, and quite some time ago.
Around 10 years ago, I birdied 3 holes in a row and still had a 42 on the 9 lol.

My best scores are by far at Tree Top in Manheim, but then it's only a par of 65...

Back when I was in college I had a great front nine of only a couple over on the Blue Course. Haven't played much recently.... kids...

Best round playing for fun was a 72 and best “competitive” was a 73, both at a par 71 municipal course in Binghamton that isn’t tough.

Best 9 that I ever had was a 2-under 34, which followed up a front 9 of 50 on a par 72. Couldn’t do anything right for 9 holes, then made the turn and everything somehow clicked on the 10th tee.

Best round -- 75 on Thanksgiving Day 2008 in Leesburg, FL. Last time I broke 80 was a 77 in 2011 in which I 3-putted 2 of the last 3 holes.
Best 9 -- 34 on a course at the Villages, FL in a Tuesday night golf league in 2004. Up to that point, I still hadn't broken 80 and I was trying to figure out a way to quickly play the last 9 holes but I knew I wouldn't finish before dark. Took me another 7 months before I'd crack that 80 barrier.

Reactions: kevin310
I've had a couple 2 under 9 hole rounds - a 33 front at Deer Valley in Hummelstown, a 34 on the front at Hershey CC East Course. One of those is much more impressive than the other.

18 hole was a 71 at Harrisburg Country Club in a high school match.

Reactions: JoeFi
My low score for 18: 71 (three times). On one round, was 1 under after 16 but double bogied the 18th.
My Low score for 9 holes was 33 . 3 birds 6 pars

64 @ Cedarbrook Red in Belle Vernon about 15 years ago from the blue tees. Course record is 64 from the black tees. 30 on the front nine that day is also my low for 9 holes. Shot 66 at Butlers Woodside in Elizabeth around that same time. Was a scratch HC at that point, but life got in the way and have slipped since with no practice time and playing way, way less.

The old Cedarbrook course back in the day before they expanded was one of the best -- if not the best - public course in W. Pa. With the expansion, they have two mediocre 18s.

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
Fairview in Lebanon, shot a 36 on the back nine. 6 pars, 1 birdie and 2 bogeys. Unfortunately, I shot a 56 on the front nine, so didn't reach my 18 hole best. That is still a 90 on a par 70 or better course (have done that several times).

I have broken par on mini golf courses many times. I didn't think that was a big deal. Am I wrong? Or have I just played easy courses?

Shot a 79 once. I had it in my head that my last putt was for 80, but I'd added it incorrectly. I'm not sure I would've made the putt if I knew it was for 79.

I know the feeling. I have had reasonable putts for 79 on multiple occasions and missed them all.
My best 9 was 37.

40-45 for an 85 at Glen Mills from the white tees. Best 9 and 18 for me. One of those days where everything went in. I’m on IR with a pair of bad knees so that will probably be my personal best.

When we were kids and going to Wildwood for vacation, I think there were some under par rounds at a mini-course near us. None since, because For the last 23 years, I’ve played mini-golf with the Mrs so I’m usually trying to throw the match.

Last edited:
9 Holes - 39. Even after 7 and finished bogey, double bogey.

18 Holes - 79 at some Links type course in Myrtle Beach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT