ADVERTISEMENT

You Make The Call -- Was Hammond Taken Down by Moore? ...

Tom McAndrew

May 29, 2001
this Flo video clip is of the sequence where Moore was awarded a TD as they went OOB, but the assistant ref conferred with the ref, and after that the TD was waved off. You can view the sequence at this link.

Do you think this should have been 2, or not? In either case, explain why (just don't say TD, or no TD, etc.).

Tom

It looked like 2 to me. You can't see Hammond's right foot and leg when 2 is given so I'm guessing that Moore lost his grip on Hammond's right ankle just before the 2 was given and that was what the 2nd ref saw. It's the only thing that makes sense to me.

Glad I am not an official. Slow motion you see he has both, real time it looks bang bang. I think you should have to show some sort of control to the naked eye in real time without the aide of slow motion.

I am just happy to see the second ref doing something besides collecting a paycheck. Most are judging takedown or not on if Garrett got his hips off the mat before his second leg was secured. If the second ref is saying no to the takedown I believe he saw something else since the head ref had the better angle and in those situation the second ref generally is looking out or in. It's hard to see the out of bounds line distinctly on the video and he may have slipped just out. the other posibility is that the second ref saw him lose control of Garrett's right ankle.

I do think Garrett recovered toget his hip off the mat just in time to avoid the td.

Moore was definitely in bounds until after the ref signaled 2.

From the camera angle, it's purely a guess: looked like Moore may have lost control of Hammond's right ankle before putting his hand on Hammond's left hip. I say that because Hammond scooted his right ankle away very quickly -- too quickly if Moore still had a grip on it.

Couldn't quite tell, but it looked like maybe Hammond's knee or shin was on top of Moore's wrist, as opposed to Moore gripping Hammond's leg.

Really wish we had a camera angle from either side, preferably from the assistant ref's side. Next to impossible to tell from the given camera angle.

Guessing that, had this gone to replay, either call would've stood.

Originally posted by El-Jefe:
Moore was definitely in bounds until after the ref signaled 2.

From the camera angle, it's purely a guess: looked like Moore may have lost control of Hammond's right ankle before putting his hand on Hammond's left hip. I say that because Hammond scooted his right ankle away very quickly -- too quickly if Moore still had a grip on it.

Couldn't quite tell, but it looked like maybe Hammond's knee or shin was on top of Moore's wrist, as opposed to Moore gripping Hammond's leg.

Really wish we had a camera angle from either side, preferably from the assistant ref's side. Next to impossible to tell from the given camera angle.

Guessing that, had this gone to replay, either call would've stood.
Agree. The camera angle made me unsure in real time, and accept the judgment of the official

What I think was obvious was that the second official saw something immediately that he went to the head official. That and the fact that Team Brands did not challenge the call tells me all I need to know!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT