ADVERTISEMENT

You can tell which wrestlers are new transfers and which have been brought up by Cael.

and-here-we-go-joker.gif

Yeah! Like Mesenbrink! Can you believe a guy transfers in and thinks he can wrestle like that at PSU?
Yeah. Kinda ridiculous by the OP

I will say that regarding Truax and Nagao. I’m not really concerned about Bernie. That was brutal tonight but doubt it happens again.

I do have concerns about Nagao. I mean he just looks bad from nuetral.

I will say that regarding Truax and Nagao. I’m not really concerned about Bernie. That was brutal tonight but doubt it happens again.

Last year he was pretty good from nuetral.

This isn't all wrong though. Both Truax and Nagao came in with the expectation that they were pretty much guaranteed to be top-4 guys while Mesenbrink didn't have any laurels to rest on. MM has had urgency since day one while the other two guys seem like they think they are guaranteed to win every time they take the mat. I expect they'll get things cleaned up for the postseason.

I think it's clear Nago is working on improving his neutral position and overall aggressiveness and that is opening himself up to some takedowns. When postseason comes, I suspect we will see the more measured version that took 5th last year along with being a little better from neutral.

Traux just got caught, up to that point he was wrestling well. I actually see some improvement from the beginning of the season and think he could have his best career finish at NCAAs.

Last edited:
Nagao wasn’t great from neutral last night, but let’s give some credit to Bouzakis. He’s an elite scrambler. That #12 ranking belies his talent. He’s taken some weird losses, but is only a freshman. I think he’s a title contender in a year or 2. Nagao should be as well, so this will be a fun matchup for a few years if they’re still at the same weight.

As for Truax, he just got caught. Heck, it’s even happened to Lord Spencer and David Taylor. Rogotzke is dangerous and has some funk in his arsenal, but Truax was controlling the match. Not worried about it at all.

This is his I feel.

Nagao doesn’t look the way he did last March on top, either. He had gotten to what felt like an automatic 2-0 lead because he’d get the RT point and the other guy wouldn’t get the escape point.

This is his I feel.

Nagao doesn’t look the way he did last March on top, either. He had gotten to what felt like an automatic 2-0 lead because he’d get the RT point and the other guy wouldn’t get the escape point.
It's not March yet.

Last year he got pinned by Brayden Palmer in the first period at the Scuffle, and lost to the immortal Kyle Burwick in the dual. So he didn't look the way he did last March at this time last year either.

Just can't replicate the upbringing in Cael's system.
I’d guess that Cael runs an equal opportunity room. No one style predominates. I’m not a big fan of the portal, but, every competitive team is gonna use it. I’m sure Cael, Casey, & Co have a process for integrating transfers. I’ve never heard of guys bitching much about the guys he brings in. Bernie got caught last nigh by a talented and funky kid. AN is in a bit of a slump. Cael will bring him around by March just like he would with someone he’s recruited since 9th grade.

I think it's clear Nago is working on improving his neutral position and this is opening himself up to some takedowns. When postseason comes, I suspect we will see the more measured version that took 5th last year along with being a little better from neutral.

Traux just got caught, up to that point he was wrestling well. I actually see some improvement from the beginning of the season and think he could have his best career finish at NCAAs.
Agree. I'm just as high on him now than I was last year when I was begging for him to transfer. Lol. I think he's top 5 at Nats.

Every starter that Cael has had at PSU (except Davis, and MM) have lost matches, most have had an upset loss. It's good practice.

Last edited:

How many "Let's see what happens in March" tshirts do you think a guy can sell?

This is his I feel.

Most of us just starting paying attention to Nagao in March last year. We only saw that part. I'll take the kid who took RBY to deep waters every single time.

Reactions: donboy6499
Most of us just starting paying attention to Nagao in March last year. We only saw that part. I'll take the kid who took RBY to deep waters every single time.
I hear you and I’m not saying that he’s bad or not going to place very high or win. We’d all take that. Still, feels like you can’t just go “well he was great last March so no worries”, when he’s not doing similar things he was last March at all.

Nagao seemed to be feeling effects of being sick last week. I’m not particularly concerned. He will be on the podium in March.

So will Bernie. He was a bit peculiar last night because he was in a cement mixer for about 4 seconds before Rogotski (sp) moved his hand off the chin to the over and flipped. Bernie just didn’t respond.

To a certain extent, all the transfers for all schools tend to continue being who they are. That’s true. Hopefully they can make some incremental changes that bring big dividends. For some, that magic happens.

Last edited:
Kirk is a transfer as well; another guy that seems to have adapted just fine
Totally on your side with your intent here, but couldn’t help but comment.

While he is truly a transfer, I hate that he gets called one. He transferred so early and has made such big strides at PSU that I hardly think he even counts as a “transfer.” He’s more like a kid that saw what he committed to change (Snyder leaving) and then changed his mind because of it.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Horrible post, love all PSU guys
I feel implicated because PSU wrestling sounds so much like the original poster. This is not my take and I don’t even know anyone who has this take. I am not now nor have I ever been a this take taker.

Reactions: AndEEss
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT